Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458382 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1762 on: October 29, 2019, 08:59:54 am »
Want!!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2019/10/kawasaki-headed-to-production-with-250cc-inline-four-sport-model-the-zx-25r-with-videos/
250cc inline 4???...that thing might be a screamer.

Might be? Maybe for sure!!!  ;D  Would be a blast for sure!! I remember riding the old Suzuki Bandit 400 (4cyl), I think it was around 55hp and weighed in around 360lbs, and was it ever a smooth operator that loved to rev to 14 grand!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: October 29, 2019, 09:52:05 am »
Want!!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2019/10/kawasaki-headed-to-production-with-250cc-inline-four-sport-model-the-zx-25r-with-videos/
250cc inline 4???...that thing might be a screamer.

Might be? Maybe for sure!!!  ;D  Would be a blast for sure!! I remember riding the old Suzuki Bandit 400 (4cyl), I think it was around 55hp and weighed in around 360lbs, and was it ever a smooth operator that loved to rev to 14 grand!
That's nothing!

The 250s inlines from the 90s revved to 20k rpm, made 45 rwhp and weighed sub 350 wet.

Am curious to see what a modern version would be like!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1764 on: October 29, 2019, 12:37:05 pm »
Got home safely from my first 24 hour endurance hare scramble in Western Washington/Oregon. This was the most demanding event/ride I have ever experienced on a motorcycle. Physically and mentally exhausting, it took a lot of will to throw a leg over the machine at 3:00am to got do some laps on a very demanding and rough course.

Mother nature was against us all the way: From almost flipping the travel trailer in a crosswind in the Southern Alberta Foothills (estimated wind 120 km/h gust putting 2 wheels 2-3' in the air  :o) to a constant pounding headwind across the Washington state highlands and Columbia River Gorge. Fortunately the wind dropped for the event. The pits were huge with about 100 teams fielding (1-6 riders). I would estimate about 400 riders total. Beside us was a team from the US Navy, I don't know if they were SEALS but they seemed tough lol. The course was 20 miles of silt & dirt mixed with various sized basaltic rocks. Speeds ranged from 1st gear technical rock fields to 100km/h high speed sweepers. In between were relentless sections of massive whoops. Just nuts.

Having never done this before we entered a team of 4 (3x KTM 300s and my Husky FE501) and when we arrived we were soon concerned as most teams were utilizing the full allowable limit of 6 riders. Fortunately we found a rhythm and settled into 2nd place early on. We were able to squeeze into first late afternoon of day 1 and held the lead through the long night (13 hours). The format of the system allows the teams behind to see how much they are trailing but the leaders don't know the time gap. We held the lead through the night and as it worked out 80% of my rides were in complete darkness. Around hour 22 we lost the lead but we were able to battle back and overtake the leaders. On the last lap they had a mechanical (broken/wheel/tire) and we rode to a first place in our class. Absolutely gruelling and too tired to care lol.

To top it off we drove through an early season snow storm in BC., a highway littered with ditched cars and jackknifed semis. Great fun!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #1765 on: October 29, 2019, 01:25:13 pm »
^^ Uh, that sounds like a nightmare from start to finish. You signed up for that voluntarily? Nobody had a gun to your head?  ???

Still, congrats on your win!  ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: October 29, 2019, 01:35:12 pm »
Congrats on the win and finishing. Sounds like a tough event. That wind was gross and I would not want to pulling a trailer in it!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1767 on: October 29, 2019, 02:08:26 pm »
Big congrats.   Sounds like an experience not to be forgotten soon
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: October 29, 2019, 02:40:46 pm »
^^ Uh, that sounds like a nightmare from start to finish. You signed up for that voluntarily? Nobody had a gun to your head?  ???

I'll do anything once. It was nice to beat the USA on their home turf lol.

I think the next one will Be Barstow California to Vegas. It is a stage race with hotel stops lol.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: October 29, 2019, 03:05:50 pm »

I think the next one will Be Barstow California to Vegas. It is a stage race with hotel stops lol.
Congrats! Great result!

Come to Michigan and do the 6 Days of Michigan!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: October 29, 2019, 03:29:28 pm »

Congrats! Great result!

I put it on the list. Details seem scarce?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1771 on: October 29, 2019, 04:07:57 pm »

Congrats! Great result!

http://corduroyenduro.ca/blog/

There's always the Corduroy

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #1772 on: October 29, 2019, 05:07:50 pm »
Nice KTM.  Sounds grueling.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: October 29, 2019, 05:22:37 pm »

Congrats! Great result!

When I participated almost 30 years ago (on a KDX200), it was in its infancy and was more of a memorial ride (IIRC).  It's changed dramatically since then.

In later years, it's a real event and has been on the AMA GNCC/Dual Sport Calendar.  It's very organized now.  They even have daily meals plans, camp ground set-up, etc.  In later years, if you managed to finish you got a finisher trophy (was a nice, shiny plate).  It's a roll chart event, so you'll need one. 

I'm sure you can get all the info from https://cccmi.net/

Sorry I can't provide more info.  FWIW, Michigan is said to have the longest trail system in NA (IIRC)

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: October 31, 2019, 07:00:13 pm »
UUgggg.......

An ex of mine says she's buying a bike in the spring.  Oh..cool....was wondering what 250cc thing she might get.

Says she's buying a Fat Boy.  First bike.  750lbs.  She's like 5'4"....

FFS....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: October 31, 2019, 08:34:52 pm »
UUgggg.......

An ex of mine says she's buying a bike in the spring.  Oh..cool....was wondering what 250cc thing she might get.

FFS....

Harley folk can't be talked sense to.   It's all about "Look at me"

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: October 31, 2019, 08:36:30 pm »
UUgggg.......

FFS....

Harley folk can't be talked sense to.   It's all about "Look at me"

It's her uncle who's talked her into this.

I never liked him....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: October 31, 2019, 08:46:25 pm »
22 year old local  guy crashed and burned yesterday.  I didn't know him, heard he was a good guy.  RIP

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: October 31, 2019, 08:48:06 pm »
22 year old local  guy crashed and burned yesterday.  I didn't know him, heard he was a good guy.  RIP

PM sent BTW....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1779 on: November 06, 2019, 11:08:21 am »
UUgggg.......

FFS....

Oh dear...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...