Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458258 times)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1201
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1660 on: July 11, 2019, 06:12:29 am »
My Super Ténéré is $192/year to insure in Québec.  ;D

Wow...they have good senior rates there!   ;D
  :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1661 on: July 11, 2019, 06:49:11 am »
My Super Ténéré is $192/year to insure in Québec.  ;D
ooo...that is pretty good...you can insure a regular bike in the southern US for like $100/yr...sportbikes are more, but still about what you pay...many insurance companies here won't even insure a sportbike, and the ones that do, really make you pay for it (like $3k/year or more).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1662 on: July 11, 2019, 07:32:18 am »
It was 150$/yr (120 USD) for my R3 when I lived in the US.  ;D
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: July 20, 2019, 01:54:39 pm »
Finally found out what my little SIL bought. A 2018 Triumph Street Twin. 
She’s already installed the knee pads and crash bars. She’s pretty cool for an accountant.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:56:37 pm by BWII »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1201
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1664 on: July 20, 2019, 01:58:23 pm »
Nice!  :D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1665 on: July 20, 2019, 11:55:25 pm »
Finally found out what my little SIL bought. A 2018 Triumph Street Twin. 
She’s already installed the knee pads and crash bars. She’s pretty cool for an accountant.  ;D
i like the Street Twin...the new Speed Twin is nice too...if i were buying, i'd like spring the little bit extra for the Speed Twin...of course, if i didn't have a budget, the Rocket 3 TFC is the beans.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: July 21, 2019, 04:21:26 am »
Got out for a good ride today then delivered IQ some dinner at work.

Bugs are bad here but not even once squished bug on my face shield. I don't miss being "bugged" at all..especially so because the mesh is so wide in my air jacket.

Noticed a few new details I hadn't noticed before. In either side of the windscreen on the "dash" there's these retractable spoilers to manage air flow. Neat. Traction control came on today...it was raining lightly and I goosed it from a stop. When I crossed the painted crosswalk the tire spun. But the traction control stopped the spin..perhaps too abruptly. Definitely not as smooth as automotive systems.

Engine is torquey...fun to squirt out of city corners. Engine even had a bit of personality with that twin vibe.

Fuel mileage was 4.0l/100km for the day...fairly impressive considering engine size and overall heft.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 04:23:20 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1667 on: July 21, 2019, 09:49:56 am »
I missed the reveal. What is it?

Offline rrocket

• View Profile

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1669 on: July 22, 2019, 04:48:26 pm »
Had some fun in the southern interior of BC over the past week. I absolutely love it there. Endless back country and no people. We were able to take down second in a navigational rally/race. We entered single cylinder map class. We collected more points than all the GPS teams lol.

This is in the Monashees about 1 hour south of Revelstoke.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:54:21 pm by ktm525 »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 22, 2019, 04:53:40 pm »
Had some fun in the southern interior of BC over the past week. I absolutely love it there. Endless back country and no people. We were able to take down second in a navigational rally/race. We entered single cylinder map class. We collected more points than all the GPS teams lol.

This is in the Monashees about 1 hour south of Revelstoke.

Back when I did these races there was no GPS....they'd hand you a roll chart at the start of the race and say "good luck!!".   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: July 22, 2019, 05:05:03 pm »
No roll charts. Just a topo map with points.

Here are a few more shots including my rear tire which ultimately cost us first place. I pinch flatted the rear and rode until it was soft. With a good and hot tire I was able to patch (tube was too hot to touch lol) and was good for another 1 1/2 hours until the tire went flat again. The patch seemed to fail (probably due to the high temps I think and us rushing). The interior cords of the tire were also failing and the sidewall integrity was shot from riding it flat for awhile.

First flat was an ISDE special. About 10 minutes to pull wheel, pull tube. look for bubbles in nice cool lake, patch and reassemble. The second fix was disheartening as we knew our chances were slipping away. I was able to bum a 21" front tube of another competitor (different class) and we got the rear rolling again to the final time check only 5 minutes late.

Anyhow here is what a formally fresh Pirelli MT16 looks like after about 16 hours (2 days) ridden in anger on a 501. The knobs were all pulling off. I'll snap some pics of the exposed belts in the interior carcass when I replace it later.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: July 22, 2019, 05:07:08 pm »
Surprised you don't run tube-less (Tubliss).

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: July 23, 2019, 12:08:09 am »

The main advantage of tubliss is you can lower pressures to aid in traction without worrying about pinch flats. I find tubliss can be finicky and if you gash a tire  anything bigger than what a standard plug can hold it can get dicey if it can be repaired trailside. A tube can be repaired no matter how big the tire damage is (within reason) Not sure how I pinch flatted as I was running 14 psi, It was a lot of high speed washes and the like and while I was able to loft the front over most of the big hits the rear took some rather large hits.  The bullet proof way is to run bib mouse inserts which is what we do on multi day desert trips. My mistake was not carrying a standard 21" tube or putting new ultra heavy tubes in on this set of rubber.  Got lazy and it bit me in the ass.  There was a lot more high speed running. When I flatted the first time the tube was too hot to handle, I think the sidewalls of the tire got real hot as it got soft. Real melty hot.

The event was interesting. There is no prescribed route,, just points to navigate too, how you get there is entirely up to you. Very interesting concept and you rarely see another competitor for hours.Perfect, I know where I am retiring lol.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:12:39 am by ktm525 »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: July 23, 2019, 12:14:10 am »

The main advantage of tubliss is you can lower pressures to aid in traction without worrying about pinch flats. I find tubliss can be finicky and if you gash a tire  anything bigger than what a standard plug can hold it can get dicey if it can be repaired trailside. A tube can be repaired no matter how big the tire damage is (within reason) Not sure how I pinch flatted as I was running 14 psi, It was a lot of high speed washes and the like and while I was able to loft the front over most of the big hits the rear took some rather large hits.  The bullet proof way is to run bib mouse inserts which is what we do on multi day desert trips. My mistake was not carrying a standard 21" tube or putting new ultra heavy tubes in on this set of rubber.  Got lazy and it bit me in the ass.  There was a lot more high speed running. When I flatted the first time the tube was too hot to handle, I think the sidewalls of the tire got real hot as it got soft. Real melty hot.

The event was interesting. There is no prescribed route,, just points to navigate too, how you get there is entirely up to you. Very interesting concept and you rarely see another competitor for hours.Perfect, I know where I am retiring lol.

I've read some real impressive torture test of the Tubliss.  Seems like the way to go.  Mousse inserts are good if you don't need any air adjustments.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: July 23, 2019, 02:01:36 am »
Tubliss are ok but more upkeep day to day. The sealing tube tends to lose air over a few weeks so always seem to be topping from 80 to 105 psi. Need two gauges a 100+ psi and a 0-15psi. Tire chamber tends to lose air to due to imperfect bead seal. If they are working then they are great for low speed single track where traction is at a premium. I have seen tubliss systems get double punctured (nail/spike)goes through the tire air chamber and the bead tube.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: July 23, 2019, 01:18:00 pm »
Cool!  Now that’s the way to climb a mountain!!  Nice pics. BC is so damn beautiful.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #1677 on: July 23, 2019, 01:40:05 pm »
No roll charts. Just a topo map with points.

Here are a few more shots including my rear tire which ultimately cost us first place. I pinch flatted the rear and rode until it was soft. With a good and hot tire I was able to patch (tube was too hot to touch lol) and was good for another 1 1/2 hours until the tire went flat again. The patch seemed to fail (probably due to the high temps I think and us rushing). The interior cords of the tire were also failing and the sidewall integrity was shot from riding it flat for awhile.

First flat was an ISDE special. About 10 minutes to pull wheel, pull tube. look for bubbles in nice cool lake, patch and reassemble. The second fix was disheartening as we knew our chances were slipping away. I was able to bum a 21" front tube of another competitor (different class) and we got the rear rolling again to the final time check only 5 minutes late.

Anyhow here is what a formally fresh Pirelli MT16 looks like after about 16 hours (2 days) ridden in anger on a 501. The knobs were all pulling off. I'll snap some pics of the exposed belts in the interior carcass when I replace it later.

Geezus, thats a crazy amount of wear for 16hrs.  Harsh conditions and a lot of power.  I was looking at my kids rear the other day on his 250.  Looks fairly fresh, lots of life left for the riding we do, 40 hrs  :rofl2:.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: July 23, 2019, 04:11:12 pm »

[/quote]

Geezus, thats a crazy amount of wear for 16hrs.  Harsh conditions and a lot of power.  I was looking at my kids rear the other day on his 250.  Looks fairly fresh, lots of life left for the riding we do, 40 hrs  :rofl2:.
[/quote]

There may have been some rear wheel power steering going on lol. It's crazy the things that wea when you start to charge. My brake pads were fairly fresh too and now it looks like the fronts are done. Casual riding these things would last me a lot longer. I guess it is no different than taking a car to the track, tires and brakes are quick wear items.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1679 on: July 23, 2019, 05:46:45 pm »

[/quote]

There may have been some rear wheel power steering going on lol. It's crazy the things that wea when you start to charge. My brake pads were fairly fresh too and now it looks like the fronts are done. Casual riding these things would last me a lot longer. I guess it is no different than taking a car to the track, tires and brakes are quick wear items.
[/quote]

I'm too old and creaky to wear stuff out like that...well, at least on dirtbikes. 
Mr Pickypants