Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458077 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1540 on: March 16, 2019, 12:57:17 pm »
I'm in Fernie...

I am sorry if my tire compound early season comments sounded like I dismissed the the bike accident. Hopefully the driver of the van is charged if the police find them at fault. It is tragic event that unfortunately seems to happen all the time.  My point is be careful in the early season, just because the air temp has come up doesn't mean the tarmac follows suit. It has a much slower delta. Bikes need all the conditions in their favour to respond to the clueless drivers out there.  Like I said before, stay safe.

and with that the snow has now gotten soft enough for some spring turns.

Darn! I was in Fernie several times for a boiler replacement at the hospital.

Online rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 16, 2019, 05:13:27 pm »

I’ve been hurt by this so please respect my healing process. Your comment is irrelevant to this accident.

I don't think he meant any malice by his truthful comment.

It's just like when we talk of inappropriate car tires not working well in cold winter months....which we talk about all the time.on this forum.

But on a bike, the margin of error and consequences of improper tire use are far, far greater.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:19:37 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 16, 2019, 05:38:08 pm »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1543 on: March 16, 2019, 06:15:38 pm »
Even with lugged enduro tires IMO too early for a bike in AB.

With all due respect, please keep your opinion to yourself.

:rofl2:  I'm not sure you know how forums work...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 16, 2019, 06:15:44 pm »
What's their temp rating?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1545 on: March 16, 2019, 06:17:00 pm »
our fallen brother

Did you know the guy, or are you just saying that because he is a biker?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 16, 2019, 07:43:45 pm »
our fallen brother

Did you know the guy, or are you just saying that because he is a biker?

It just hit me personally. Even before the vigil, I went to his memorial on my own to pay respect and it took me a little bit to gather myself emotionally before I could ride off again. There are some riders who don’t want to ride anymore. It was vehicular homicide in many of our minds.

What's their temp rating?

They’re officially good down to +1. Still need to exercise extreme caution on ice. I only ride when the roads are mostly bare.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1547 on: March 16, 2019, 08:42:55 pm »
Ran in edmontons river valley today and during the drive there and back saw lots of aggressive driving. The thaw has really brought out the worst in people in terms of their driving.

Have to say though the worst person wasn't driving aggressively at all. On Groat Road north of Westmount, a Q7 would slowly slow down to 10-15km/h, then speed back up to 60, but once at 60 start the process of coasting back down to 10. Repeat. All the way to past the Yellowhead before I was able to get by thanks to the start of the three lane section. People were really struggling and he was causing a lot of issues by driving that way.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1548 on: March 16, 2019, 09:22:16 pm »
Sh!tty situation overall, sounds like the driver was completely in the wrong, will have to wait to see see outcome.

Don't think I'd take my Porsche out yet on the roads at this time, much less a bike, and I've got 4 tires giving me traction & a cage surrounding me.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 17, 2019, 12:27:00 am »

It just hit me personally.

Why?

I'm trying to understand why you're so upset.

I too thought you knew the guy personally by how upset you were.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: March 17, 2019, 12:27:53 am »

They’re officially good down to +1. Still need to exercise extreme caution on ice. I only ride when the roads are mostly bare.

I still don't like that void down the centerline....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 18, 2019, 01:11:08 pm »
Why?

I'm trying to understand why you're so upset.

I too thought you knew the guy personally by how upset you were.

He was a family man and the incident was largely unprovoked. For it to also happen so early in the season too just wasn't a good feeling. It hit the entire community hard.

Have to say though the worst person wasn't driving aggressively at all. On Groat Road north of Westmount, a Q7 would slowly slow down to 10-15km/h, then speed back up to 60, but once at 60 start the process of coasting back down to 10. Repeat. All the way to past the Yellowhead before I was able to get by thanks to the start of the three lane section. People were really struggling and he was causing a lot of issues by driving that way.

Almost seems like a hypermiling technique. It is less effective in an automatic though.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 18, 2019, 03:00:57 pm »
Any charges laid or more info?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1553 on: March 18, 2019, 04:49:47 pm »
I don't have the pics yet, but the track day at Circuit Lédenon turned out great. As a bonus, I got to ride en duo as a passenger with Bernard Garcia at the helm of his KTM Superduke 1290  :o . Lol, with the elevation changes at Lédenon, everytime he accelerated up a ligne droite between corners, I was hoping my fingers/gloves wouldn't slide off the tank as they didn't install the grab handles as usual (it was an impromptu "hey, get on !" when I was between sessions) . :drive2: Mentally i was thinking "P***** ne tombe pas !!!!!!" .....as well as um, focusing on his braking points and lines.....

To be continued.
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 18, 2019, 05:02:06 pm »
That SuperDuke is an angry motorcycle!   :rofl:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1555 on: March 18, 2019, 07:51:51 pm »
That SuperDuke is an angry motorcycle!   :rofl:
it's the answer to the question "what if we attached two wheels to a nuke?"
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 12, 2019, 02:36:24 pm »

The Journey was observed swerving lanes to impede the motorcycles from passing then brake checked them. This was confirmed by drivers who saw what happened. I was not feeling good yesterday knowing that there are drivers in our town who want to kill us.

So this all happened out of the blue? Journey driver went full crazy for no reason? Wtf?

So charges were laid against the driver. No further information available at this time.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: April 12, 2019, 07:56:17 pm »

The Journey was observed swerving lanes to impede the motorcycles from passing then brake checked them. This was confirmed by drivers who saw what happened. I was not feeling good yesterday knowing that there are drivers in our town who want to kill us.

So this all happened out of the blue? Journey driver went full crazy for no reason? Wtf?

So charges were laid against the driver. No further information available at this time.
What was the charge?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 12, 2019, 08:50:31 pm »

What was the charge?

They were advised not to give information on the charges yet.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 12, 2019, 08:57:01 pm »

What was the charge?

They were advised not to give information on the charges yet.
WTF?