Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 457968 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1460 on: February 20, 2019, 10:13:00 pm »
Yup, two stroke. “Ringy Dingy!”

If I go to see it I’ll text you.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1462 on: February 21, 2019, 08:24:49 am »
i found some vintage footage of Ron driving home after a long day at work.

Honestly....I was never really good at stunting.  I could do a Nac-Nac when I was young (and stupid) on my motocross bike.   And apart from one handed wheelies (while flipping the bird) and rolling burnouts, that's about the extent of my stunting repertoire.  But backing in a bike sure makes you look like a hero!!  BTW...am having a hard time backing in the 390 Duke....whereas my 690 was a complete joke backing it in.  Could even back it in with IQ on the back.  More than any other bike, the 690 makes you an even better rider than you are.

This video basically shows how I ride...like this...nothing fancy. 

https://youtu.be/GDbWSkTwJdk

How do you get the back end to back in like that though? Are you gearing down to get it to break loose & then hard on the throttle to get the wheel spinning? Or once you start the slide, you just let it slide a little, counter steer... then on the throttle and back up & going?
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:05 am »

Honestly....I was never really good at stunting.  I could do a Nac-Nac when I was young (and stupid) on my motocross bike.   And apart from one handed wheelies (while flipping the bird) and rolling burnouts, that's about the extent of my stunting repertoire.  But backing in a bike sure makes you look like a hero!!  BTW...am having a hard time backing in the 390 Duke....whereas my 690 was a complete joke backing it in.  Could even back it in with IQ on the back.  More than any other bike, the 690 makes you an even better rider than you are.

How do you get the back end to back in like that though? Are you gearing down to get it to break loose & then hard on the throttle to get the wheel spinning? Or once you start the slide, you just let it slide a little, counter steer... then on the throttle and back up & going?
It's so hard to put into words....

But the idea is...you're braking so hard for the corner using front brake, it unloads the rear tire. At the same time, you downshift 2-3 times. That gets the back tire spinning up which makes it lose traction. The front tire turns for the corner, the back (now with minimal traction) wants to keep going straight...and now you're sliding and backing it in.

Some guys feather the rear brake to help...but I was lazy and just let the slipper clutch do the work.

I'm not sure if that explanation makes sense...surely someone must have a more elegant explanation.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1464 on: February 21, 2019, 09:01:38 am »
One of the best things about riding in the dirt. You could back it in at relatively low speeds even on a relatively low powered bike because of the lack of traction.

Tricky to do it on sticky pavement, and can result in a high-side.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 21, 2019, 09:03:18 am »

It's so hard to put into words....

But the idea is...you're braking so hard for the corner using front brake, it unloads the rear tire. At the same time, you downshift 2-3 times. That gets the back tire spinning up which makes it lose traction. The front tire turns for the corner, the back (now with minimal traction) wants to keep going straight...and now you're sliding and backing it in.

Some guys feather the rear brake to help...but I was lazy and just let the slipper clutch do the work.

I'm not sure if that explanation makes sense...surely someone must have a more elegant explanation.

Makes sense, kinda what I was saying in my last sentence. I understand now, not sure I'd try it out on the street for the 1st time, but I suppose it depends on the bike I have. Sorta like riding in the dirt  ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1466 on: February 21, 2019, 10:14:47 am »
Learn it on the dirt. I’d encourage everyone to ride dirt bikes before hitting pavement. Made a world of difference for me.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 21, 2019, 10:20:41 am »
Learn it on the dirt. I’d encourage everyone to ride dirt bikes before hitting pavement. Made a world of difference for me.

Yeah, last time I rode a dirt bike was in 1995... took at buddies CR-125 for a rip on his parent's property  ::)  Before that I rode for 3 or 4 years, like 1985 - 1989  :rofl2:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1468 on: February 21, 2019, 10:47:09 am »
Get a dirt bike and head to a frozen lake. Make an oval, you will learn quick.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1469 on: February 25, 2019, 05:00:32 pm »
It's late and I'm tired, but the Sunday morning session at the indoor kart track in Fegersheim (67) went well, 6 X 15mn sessions. Had a couple sessions trading off with my friend's bike until the rear tire went flat (not my fault, buddy had an issue previous weekend too). No worries we just jumped onto someone else's bike (YCF 125).

First session was kind of a panic for me, completely different from riding a sport bike at an outdoor track. Slowly got over the initial panic by the 2e session "just focus turning properly, you know how to do this......". Then I had to learn how to shift without a clutch as the replacement bike didnt have one, but that made for some fun tail-out action on corner entry  :P . The last 3 sessions went really well, I was one of the quickest in the beginner group. Have to work on passing though, not so easy indoors ! Overall a great experience, wish I lived in that région though........

It is surprising how deep you can lean those things. Sure, it's foot out for each corner but between the jumpy instant power and tight track you really had to direct the bike. But it's rather forgiving; front or rear wheel slides easily correctable. Caught it a few times myself, no crashes :) c'est génial, je kiffe  8)

Afterwards we went to Andlau as the local motorcycle clubs and various other concessionaires had a small exposition. Really a social hour for the local motards, but well attended and some neat démos and bikes on display (too busy chatting for a ton of pics).

Legs are killing me today though  ::)
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: February 25, 2019, 05:38:49 pm »
Awesome!!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1471 on: February 25, 2019, 07:15:17 pm »
Awesome! Glad you had fun.

I'm tempted to open an indoor motorcycle road track one day. Can't imagine what safety regulations I would be dealing with though. The thought of crashing into a wall or structural column is somewhat scary, I'd try to pad the crap out of everything.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 25, 2019, 07:46:55 pm »
Awesome! Glad you had fun.

I'm tempted to open an indoor motorcycle road track one day. Can't imagine what safety regulations I would be dealing with though. The thought of crashing into a wall or structural column is somewhat scary, I'd try to pad the crap out of everything.

That's what waivers are for!!  :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 25, 2019, 07:52:39 pm »
^^^ Yup.  The outdoor guiding industry has court tested waivers and they've held up very well.  A well crafted waiver is very robust in court.  You can't sign away your right to sue, of course, but people generally lose unless there is actual negligence.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 25, 2019, 07:55:31 pm »
^^^ Yup.  The outdoor guiding industry has court tested waivers and they've held up very well.  A well crafted waiver is very robust in court.  You can't sign away your right to sue, of course, but people generally lose unless there is actual negligence.

But yea..you'd want padding and a layer of tires BEFORE the walls....just to be safe

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: March 02, 2019, 02:32:02 pm »
Definitely. I’d have to see if financially it’d make sense. Do like a 6 month short term lease on an old abandoned big box store to test out the waters. The city will want to make sure the sprinkler system is adequately sized in case of a motorcycle fire so that’s a potentially big cost to consider.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: March 02, 2019, 02:33:18 pm »
Finally got an upgrade to my battery tender, definitely like the recovery/desulfate mode. I just wish they used an SAE connector but there is an adapter available.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: March 02, 2019, 09:29:29 pm »
Smart buy!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1478 on: March 14, 2019, 01:00:41 am »
Edmonton had its first motorcycle fatality of the year. :’(

Edit: it was a road rage incident, road and weather conditions had nothing to do with the incident.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:45:18 am by DKaz »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: March 14, 2019, 01:27:05 pm »
Edmonton had its first motorcycle fatality of the year. :’(

Edit: it was a road rage incident, road and weather conditions had nothing to do with the incident.
WTF?