Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458260 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1320 on: November 14, 2018, 03:45:59 pm »
I'd go full tank regardless, with fuel stabilizer.

I need stands as that would also help with chain maintenance, where do I get one?
I have a Pitbull, which is American though so I don't know if that is available in Canada. It's pricey but of good quality.
Ok, so it is time to winterise my bike. Haven't previously needed to do this, but now that I live in northern Europe, it's kind of necessary since year-round riding isn't possible. Asking you guys......

Fuel level - full or empty ? I read also to add fuel stabiliser.
Take the battery out and store it inside.

Anything else ?

1) Steel tank? Leave full with fuel stabilizer. Run bike for 5 mins to pull stabilizer through system.
2) What type of battery? If lead acid then try to leave with trickle charger with float capability. You can bring inside with the same set up. If Li Ion then leave on bike. Careful not to use a standard battery tender with Li Ion. You shouldn't have to do anything with the Li Ion as long as bike has no parasitic draws.
3) If possible put bike on stand to get tires off ground.
Ok I'll leave it with a nearly full tank and some stabiliser. It's got a plain acid battery so I will just take it out. I don't have a trickle charger  :( but I can procure one *checks credit limit on cards* . I have a rear stand (not front) so I guess I could do that. Hope the handle doesn't end up being a trip hazard for unknowing passer-bys. Merci.

I'd put mine up on the rear stand, or center stand (if the bike had one) and then put a piece of plywood under the front tire so it wasn't directly on concrete.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1321 on: November 14, 2018, 11:27:05 pm »
With modern fuels you don't really need stabilizer any more.  But yes full tank.

I put Li Ion batteries in both the FZ-09 and the RC51, what a bloody difference!  Now just the CRF250L next.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 15, 2018, 12:35:18 am »
With modern fuels you don't really need stabilizer any more.  But yes full tank.

I put Li Ion batteries in both the FZ-09 and the RC51, what a bloody difference!  Now just the CRF250L next.

You mean in weight, or??

And it depends what type of fuel..and how long...it's in the tank on whether you need a stabilizer.  Some fuels can degrade in as little as 30 days.  Other, typically, have 90 day shelf life.  Fuels with ethanol, which is fine in the bike, can have phase separation during storage and can pull water out of the air.

I use K100 as my stabilizer....mainly because it eliminates any water in the fuel and prevents phase separation.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:44:31 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1323 on: November 15, 2018, 08:46:30 am »
And it depends what type of fuel..and how long...it's in the tank on whether you need a stabilizer.  Some fuels can degrade in as little as 30 days.  Other, typically, have 90 day shelf life.  Fuels with ethanol, which is fine in the bike, can have phase separation during storage and can pull water out of the air.

Phase separation can happen in as little as 30 days in humid climates up to 90 days in dry climates. Any of that nasty corrosive ethanol/water mix ends up at the bottom of the tank. Ethanol free is a better solution but I'm not sure where in Alberta to get ethanol free gasoline on a separate hose. Chevron in BC was great for this.

I use K100 as my stabilizer....mainly because it eliminates any water in the fuel and prevents phase separation.

Curious, where does water go?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 15, 2018, 08:49:18 am »
I'm not sure how but I managed to burn through a tank of gas in the last four days. Checked my odometer and indeed 225km so far. Mind you, the low fuel indicator seems to come on starting from 5 to 6 litres left in the tank. The fuel consumption is sort of getting better with the broken in engine but still nowhere close to what my Honda 300 did.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1325 on: November 15, 2018, 09:06:13 am »
with most of these products, they absorb the water and carry it harmlessly through your system...it also prevents the "water" from freezing, since it is now mixed with the solution that was put in the tank and this "mixture" has a lower freezing point than water on its own.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1326 on: November 15, 2018, 09:23:01 am »
Even though our SuperPlus 98 fuel does not have ethanol in Germany, I'll still put stabiliser to be on the safe side. It will sit (covered, of course) on the street across from my carport because otherwise the front of my car will get the weather elements if I cram both underneath the carport.

The good news is my friend in Strasbourg says they have indoor riding on some supermotos taking place every weekend and there's a couple I can rent. So hopefully I can still stay on a bike.
I'm not sure how but I managed to burn through a tank of gas in the last four days. Checked my odometer and indeed 225km so far. Mind you, the low fuel indicator seems to come on starting from 5 to 6 litres left in the tank. The fuel consumption is sort of getting better with the broken in engine but still nowhere close to what my Honda 300 did.
The R3's reserve warning is super conservative. I rode 120km past the point where it started blinking and filled up with 2 litres to spare. I averaged in the upper 3s for fuel consumption until the last few thousand kms or so.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:26:54 am by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1327 on: November 15, 2018, 10:04:02 am »

Phase separation can happen in as little as 30 days in humid climates up to 90 days in dry climates. Any of that nasty corrosive ethanol/water mix ends up at the bottom of the tank. Ethanol free is a better solution but I'm not sure where in Alberta to get ethanol free gasoline on a separate hose. Chevron in BC was great for this.

In Alberta Shell 91 Gold is ethanol free. It isn't on a seperate hose though so I suppose you might get some residual from the previous user?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: November 15, 2018, 10:47:59 am »
In Alberta Shell 91 Gold is ethanol free. It isn't on a seperate hose though so I suppose you might get some residual from the previous user?
i haven't seen a dedicated "Premium" pump/hose combination in a very long time around these parts (the likelihood is, all the old equipment has likely since been replaced and updated to the single hose blended system)...if the person before you buys "Regular", and you fill up with Premium, the residual fuel left in the hose would be regular...however, most newer hoses only hold about half a liter of fuel, so if you filled your tank (60 liters or whatever), having half a liter of regular is inconsequential...the only time it may be a factor is if you are dispensing small quantities of fuel (like in a motorcycle), but even there, you're likely still getting at least 10 liters of fuel so likely not a big deal (considering most bikes run fine on regular anyway, even if using the better stuff is still a good idea).

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: November 15, 2018, 11:18:26 am »
The R3's reserve warning is super conservative. I rode 120km past the point where it started blinking and filled up with 2 litres to spare. I averaged in the upper 3s for fuel consumption until the last few thousand kms or so.

You skinny Europeans.  ;D Signed, fat Asian.

Good to know, same as in BC but same hose. If I was that paranoid, I could always pump a little bit into a jerry can to fill one of my other vehicles, but then that screws up my Fuelly tracking.

I noticed Costco only puts the 10% ethanol note by the 87 octane pump, I was hoping it meant 91 had no ethanol. But I use K100 like rrocket so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: November 15, 2018, 01:04:49 pm »
I noticed Costco only puts the 10% ethanol note by the 87 octane pump, I was hoping it meant 91 had no ethanol. But I use K100 like rrocket so it doesn't really matter anyway.
i know Costco stations in Ontario have no ethanol in their Premium 91 fuel, but i'm not sure about other provinces...it really depends on what is available from the fuel depot local to their area(s).

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: November 15, 2018, 02:17:55 pm »
Yea, depends on who supplies their fuel. I found it interesting that when Esso finally became a top tier gas station, Costco also became a top tier gas station.

Revzilla just sent this winterizing article:
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-not-to-winterize-your-bike-9-mistakes-riders-make?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=11/15/2018_Winterize_ReadMore&utm_content=B&utm_term=Inside%20Line%20%7C%20Combined

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: November 15, 2018, 07:01:49 pm »

Ethanol free is a better solution, but ethanol in and of itself it not harmful to motorcycles or cars.

Storage is where you *might* have an issue....which is why I posted using K100 for such things.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: November 16, 2018, 07:44:11 am »
Ethanol free is a better solution, but ethanol in and of itself it not harmful to motorcycles or cars.
yes and no...provided your engine was designed to work with Ethanol, it is fine...but it is still not recommended for small engines (like small motorcycles, lawnmowers, etc)...Ethanol is very corrosive and can damage seals and gaskets in a fuel system or engine that was not designed to accept it.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1334 on: November 16, 2018, 09:02:20 am »
Any modern day motorcycle is designed for 10% ethanol which is not corrosive at that mix, it’s the phase separation after storage without using fuel stabilizers as we’ve discussed that’s the issue, that’s now 100% ethanol + water sitting at the bottom of the fuel tank ready to wreak havoc. If one doesn’t ride often enough to burn an entire tank of gas every 1-3 months depending on humidity, use fuel stabilizer. I’d say up to 30% is dry, 60% is normal, and above 60% is humid, which is often the case when it’s cold outside.

I do find that some carburetors don’t like E10 however. Fuel injected motorcycles are fine.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: November 16, 2018, 01:52:47 pm »
everything i've read, said avoid ethanol in small engines, period...maybe it's ok??...perhaps, but why risk it...in a small engine like that, ethanol free premium is only like an extra $1 in your gas can.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: November 16, 2018, 04:36:57 pm »
If the owners manual states that E10 can be used which it does for every bike I've owned, I would trust the manufacturer. But we are adults and free to decide what we want to do.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: November 16, 2018, 04:46:49 pm »
If the owners manual states that E10 can be used which it does for every bike I've owned, I would trust the manufacturer. But we are adults and free to decide what we want to do.
it is likely fine for most newer bikes, but may not be the case for something older...as well, i'm not sure about lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc.

as i said, it's not like the extra cost is a big deal...my gas can lasts all winter and i think it's only about $15 to fill.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: November 16, 2018, 05:00:32 pm »
it is likely fine for most newer bikes, but may not be the case for something older...as well, i'm not sure about lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc.

as i said, it's not like the extra cost is a big deal...my gas can lasts all winter and i think it's only about $15 to fill.
here's some links on it:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/03/gas-with-ethanol-can-make-small-engines-fail/index.htm

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commentary/the-problem-with-ethanol-in-gasoline/article29103634/

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/basics/ethanol-free-fuel/

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: November 16, 2018, 05:09:17 pm »
The article references small motors in lawnmowers, leaf blowers, etc. which tend to be more rudimentary than motorcycle engines, old OHV design engines for example.

Speaking of which, man I love my electric lawnmower. I have absolutely no desire to own a gas unit.