Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458264 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1300 on: November 09, 2018, 12:37:36 am »
Yeah, while I’m a fan of rowdy bikes I also appreciate refined and precise bikes.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 09, 2018, 11:28:06 am »

https://www.kawasaki.ca/product/w800-street

New for Canada W800 looks cool. I wonder if it will have any success against the similar Triumph.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1302 on: November 09, 2018, 02:14:20 pm »
I really liked the look of the W650 when that came out. Even had a kick starter. I had something else on the go then, and then they pulled it from the Canadian market due to slow sales.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #1303 on: November 09, 2018, 02:25:20 pm »
Yeah, while I’m a fan of rowdy bikes I also appreciate refined and precise bikes.

But that's what's so good about the Yammer is that it's rowdy, but exceptionally well-built.  Last I checked Yamaha was top of the heap for quality ratings, no?
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1304 on: November 09, 2018, 03:25:56 pm »
Except my old Vino 125’s engins grenaded at 33,000km. Why did I buy another Yamaha?

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: November 09, 2018, 03:42:28 pm »

But that's what's so good about the Yammer is that it's rowdy, but exceptionally well-built.  Last I checked Yamaha was top of the heap for quality ratings, no?
Honda fit and finish is the best IMO.

I always went back between Honda and Yamaha. Honda always seemed better built.

I do love KTM for the last several years though...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:45:18 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1306 on: November 09, 2018, 03:49:38 pm »
I haven't ridden the Homda, bu have seat time on the FZ-09 and while I love the engine, the chassis is just a small step behind the triple. Easily solved thanks to the plethora of parts for that bike, but it's not quite there. That would not keep me from buying one, oh hell yes I'd still get one!

The various Hondas I've ridden have all had chassis that match or exceed the engine, and yeah, fit and finish is amazing.

I'm not saying the 650 is better than the Yamaha. I'd just have a hell of a time deciding between the two.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1201
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1307 on: November 09, 2018, 04:14:51 pm »

I was a Yamaha slappy back in the days.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: November 09, 2018, 04:16:45 pm »

I was a Yamaha slappy back in the days.
I went back and forth...because both always had great bikes that I wanted to own...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: November 09, 2018, 05:45:30 pm »
In the early-mid 80s I was a Honda and Suzuki fan. The GS1000, then 1100 and Katana were stellar bikes with amazing engines.  Honda had a huge variety of bikes during that era, from the inline fours to the V-4 engines in the Interceptor/Magna/Sabre bikes. While the V engine had some engineering issues, once fixed, they were real beasts. Honda sold a turbo bike then!  I also had a love the aspro CX-650 twin, what a nice bike to ride. The Gold Wing was the king of touring bikes, Honda completely reinventing the segment. Anyone that's ridden the H-4 instantly fell in love with the engine. The older naked GW1000 was one of my all time fave machines.

Yamaha wasn't really on my radar back then save for the Ringy-Dingy bikes, which is something I'd still love to have.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1310 on: November 09, 2018, 05:52:07 pm »
As a sport bike rider, I just can never take Honda seriously. Yamaha puts more effort into their YZF lineup and even the MT lineup to me has better motors and suspension than the Honda Equivalents. Kawi has some good sport bikes too but the fit and finish are a bit off.

I'd easily have an Italian (Duc or Aprilia) as my next sportster, as I didn't love the older YZF-R6 I tried (perhaps the new one is better). But the R1 I would consider when I get there.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 09, 2018, 07:28:36 pm »
As a sport bike rider, I just can never take Honda seriously. Yamaha puts more effort into their YZF lineup and even the MT lineup to me has better motors and suspension than the Honda Equivalents. Kawi has some good sport bikes too but the fit and finish are a bit off.

I'd easily have an Italian (Duc or Aprilia) as my next sportster, as I didn't love the older YZF-R6 I tried (perhaps the new one is better). But the R1 I would consider when I get there.
And yet, the shootout for the last couple of years the Honda almost always finishes ahead of Yamaha in the Open class. The Honda was like 10 pounds lighter! And the chassis more agile than the R1.

And in the entry level class (R3) several publications didn't even bother including it in the latest comparison because it hasn't been updated.

Really not sure where you get your info from....am guessing your time on Honda's is limited...if at all.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:31:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1312 on: November 10, 2018, 12:18:17 am »
i've had 3 Hondas in my time...Elite 250 Scooter, Interceptor 1000 and Shadow 750...the only bike that failed me was the Interceptor (threw a crank bearing on the highway)..that said, the shop i bought from always seemed a bit shady, and had recently done a bit of work on the bike so i'm not going to fault the bike 100%, as it seemed fishy when it failed...i also owned one Yamaha FZ750 and one Suzuki (Marauder 800)...the Yamaha was a great bike too (lots of power), but the Suzuki was my least favourite...felt really underpowered (my old Shadow 750 felt much more powerful, despite it being about a decade older)...i'd have no problem buying another Honda or Yamaha...i've found both to make excellent bikes.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 10, 2018, 09:55:22 am »

And yet, the shootout for the last couple of years the Honda almost always finishes ahead of Yamaha in the Open class. The Honda was like 10 pounds lighter! And the chassis more agile than the R1.

And in the entry level class (R3) several publications didn't even bother including it in the latest comparison because it hasn't been updated.

Really not sure where you get your info from....am guessing your time on Honda's is limited...if at all.
Most of the shootouts I read are based in France and for sure I have yet to see the CBR 1000RR win anything. I usually pick up Moto et Motard and Moto Journal on a monthly or bi monthly basis.

When I get home I think I still have a recent shootout issue of the magazine.

I know the YZF-R3 has been unchanged since its inception but I'd have that over a CBR 300R anyday. The R3 has better styling and notably more power. Yamaha's just come out with a refreshed YZF-125 but too bad that's not sold in North America (I think). Most of the 300-class sporters I see on the roads here are either the R3 or the KTM 390. I gave a serious consideration to the latter at the time of purchase, but it cost more and I didn't want to deal with the higher repair costs.

But to each his/her own. Despite Honda's successes in MotoGP I can't see myself ever buying one of their bikes.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #1314 on: November 10, 2018, 01:39:20 pm »
I haven't ridden the Homda, bu have seat time on the FZ-09 and while I love the engine, the chassis is just a small step behind the triple. Easily solved thanks to the plethora of parts for that bike, but it's not quite there. That would not keep me from buying one, oh hell yes I'd still get one!

The various Hondas I've ridden have all had chassis that match or exceed the engine, and yeah, fit and finish is amazing.

I'm not saying the 650 is better than the Yamaha. I'd just have a hell of a time deciding between the two.

Which generation FZ09 did you try?  The current one has had enough subtle updates / upgrades that as a whole, feels sufficiently different (and improved) over the first gen.  Sure it's still not a Tuono, S1000R or even an FZ10 in terms of suspension, but it also costs thousands less too.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 10, 2018, 04:50:21 pm »

But to each his/her own. Despite Honda's successes in MotoGP I can't see myself ever buying one of their bikes.

I'm not chastising you for owning what you like.

It was for saying they Honda didn't put effort into their some of their offerings...which is a silly thing to say.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 14, 2018, 09:58:21 am »
Ok, so it is time to winterise my bike. Haven't previously needed to do this, but now that I live in northern Europe, it's kind of necessary since year-round riding isn't possible. Asking you guys......

Fuel level - full or empty ? I read also to add fuel stabiliser.
Take the battery out and store it inside.

Anything else ?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1317 on: November 14, 2018, 10:15:29 am »
Ok, so it is time to winterise my bike. Haven't previously needed to do this, but now that I live in northern Europe, it's kind of necessary since year-round riding isn't possible. Asking you guys......

Anything else ?

1) Steel tank? Leave full with fuel stabilizer. Run bike for 5 mins to pull stabilizer through system.
2) What type of battery? If lead acid then try to leave with trickle charger with float capability. You can bring inside with the same set up. If Li Ion then leave on bike. Careful not to use a standard battery tender with Li Ion. You shouldn't have to do anything with the Li Ion as long as bike has no parasitic draws.
3) If possible put bike on stand to get tires off ground.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1318 on: November 14, 2018, 12:00:45 pm »
I'd go full tank regardless, with fuel stabilizer.

I need stands as that would also help with chain maintenance, where do I get one?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: November 14, 2018, 03:37:08 pm »
I'd go full tank regardless, with fuel stabilizer.

I need stands as that would also help with chain maintenance, where do I get one?
I have a Pitbull, which is American though so I don't know if that is available in Canada. It's pricey but of good quality.

Anything else ?

1) Steel tank? Leave full with fuel stabilizer. Run bike for 5 mins to pull stabilizer through system.
2) What type of battery? If lead acid then try to leave with trickle charger with float capability. You can bring inside with the same set up. If Li Ion then leave on bike. Careful not to use a standard battery tender with Li Ion. You shouldn't have to do anything with the Li Ion as long as bike has no parasitic draws.
3) If possible put bike on stand to get tires off ground.
Ok I'll leave it with a nearly full tank and some stabiliser. It's got a plain acid battery so I will just take it out. I don't have a trickle charger  :( but I can procure one *checks credit limit on cards* . I have a rear stand (not front) so I guess I could do that. Hope the handle doesn't end up being a trip hazard for unknowing passer-bys. Merci.