Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458608 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1080 on: May 07, 2018, 12:37:56 pm »
;D

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive. It's really frustrating not knowing why I went down.

I've lost the rear a number of times, I've hydroplaned, I've lost traction on both wheels at a pretty fair clip, and never put a bike down.

Could be the brand new tires, you need to scrub them in gradually. Riding is tough. I haven't crashed on the road for 3 years but have had close calls with over speed into corners. There was one odd one this year where I was target fixated onto a decent size rock about 3"x2" maybe and ran over that rock which totally threw off the steering of my bike.

My two crashes have had to do with locking up the rear tire at under 20 km/h on wet road.

Went for a ~450km yesterday in the Crowsnest Pass and Waterton with a friend of mine. He laid out a great route. Absolutely perfect biking weather.

I'll post some more photos and the route later. I've now put just about 1,000kms on the bike in a couple weeks. The previous owner did 1,6xx in two years.  :rofl2:

That's awesome! I don't know why people buy bikes and never ride them. My CB300F had only 1950 km when I bought it from Wing last July, mind you it was registered for less just a tad under a year when I bought it. I just rolled over 10,000 km last week

The R3 doesn't like urban traffic (it's mean for backroads and track use, not sitting at lights) but it is nice to not have to pay for parking and just park the bike nearly anywhere. Speed cameras suck though.

Scooter time?  ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1081 on: May 07, 2018, 12:39:43 pm »
;D

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive. It's really frustrating not knowing why I went down.

I've lost the rear a number of times, I've hydroplaned, I've lost traction on both wheels at a pretty fair clip, and never put a bike down.

I told you in your thread.... They armouralled your tires as part of the PDI, so they'd be shiney [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1082 on: May 07, 2018, 02:27:00 pm »
The R3 doesn't like urban traffic (it's mean for backroads and track use, not sitting at lights) but it is nice to not have to pay for parking and just park the bike nearly anywhere. Speed cameras suck though.

Scooter time?  ;D
Uh no. I rode one in Asia and that felt a bit weird.

I know about the R3s urban limitations (0,9 litre coolant, HA !) back in the states but it wasn't that a big deal cuz I was mostly using it for fun. That trend will continue here; I am already looking at track days in France in the coming months....... :P
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 07, 2018, 02:42:47 pm »
Uh no. I rode one in Asia and that felt a bit weird.

I know about the R3s urban limitations (0,9 litre coolant, HA !) back in the states but it wasn't that a big deal cuz I was mostly using it for fun. That trend will continue here; I am already looking at track days in France in the coming months....... :P

Weird. But maybe you're a little more paranoid because your R3 has a coolant temp gauge while my CB300F only has a dummy light? My CB300F is not that much more, 1.1 litres.

If you rode an Asian scooter, it likely had small wheels and was 49cc? I'm looking at the Piaggio Liberty 150 which has 16" front wheels, 14" rear wheels. The wheel size difference will make handling feel a little weird at first but it should be super stable with the bigger wheels.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 07, 2018, 02:44:40 pm »

My two crashes have had to do with locking up the rear tire at under 20 km/h on wet road.

Dare I even ask why you'd be using the back brake...in the wet?

My (exaggerated) advice to new riders has always been to disconnect the back brake and throw it in the garbage.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 07, 2018, 02:52:58 pm »

My (exaggerated) advice to new riders has always been to disconnect the back brake and throw it in the garbage.

This was before I found salvation, when I was a 49cc scooter ride and didn't know better. I've given my life to motorcycling and been born again, saved by those who have died for my motorcycling sins so I may be forgiven.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 07, 2018, 02:57:29 pm »

This was before I found salvation, when I was a 49cc scooter ride and didn't know better. I've given my life to motorcycling and been born again, saved by those who have died for my motorcycling sins so I may be forgiven.
Oh ok..

Your experience was why I give the advice I do for rear brakes.

I only use the back when I'm 2 up or being a hooligan.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 07, 2018, 02:59:06 pm »
Oh ok..

Yes I only use it now for hooliganism, or when I need a foot massage thanks to ABS. I also find that motorcycle rear brakes are easy to modulate.

My Vino 125 had strong front brakes while the rear brake did nothing. It needed adjusting but I never bothered.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1088 on: May 07, 2018, 03:04:11 pm »
Oh ok..

Yes I only use it now for hooliganism, or when I need a foot massage thanks to ABS. I also find that motorcycle rear brakes are easy to modulate.

My Vino 125 had strong front brakes while the rear brake did nothing. It needed adjusting but I never bothered.
I've never owned a bike with ABS, so it was always careful modulation... and I would apply some rear brake always as I found the bike would hunker down nicely in that situation. With my dirt bikes, don't ever remember using much front brake on the trails/makeshift tracks we used to ride.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1089 on: May 07, 2018, 03:08:05 pm »
Weird. But maybe you're a little more paranoid because your R3 has a coolant temp gauge while my CB300F only has a dummy light? My CB300F is not that much more, 1.1 litres.

If you rode an Asian scooter, it likely had small wheels and was 49cc? I'm looking at the Piaggio Liberty 150 which has 16" front wheels, 14" rear wheels. The wheel size difference will make handling feel a little weird at first but it should be super stable with the bigger wheels.
The R3 starts the auxiliary fan if I putter around too much; I actually will cut the throttle if it's a really long light or rail crossing. I can tell it'd rather be carving up backroads or the racetrack. I just found the "sitting up" riding positioning of scooters a bit weird. Plus, my commute is longer than it used to be (30km) and straight/boring/flat. I usually just set cruise at 100 once I leave town on the rural roads. Next two-wheeled purchase will be a move up (Ducati), not down.

I use the rear brake only when putting around town and need to slow gradually for an upcoming light, or when I'm on the track and want to "settle" the rear end right before I go hard on the front brakes.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1090 on: May 07, 2018, 03:14:30 pm »
I usually just use the front brake, and the rear just for a bit of stability, unless creeping along in first in heavy traffic.

In the dirt, only for getting the rear end around for the most part.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 07, 2018, 03:32:57 pm »
Oh ok..

I've never owned a bike with ABS, so it was always careful modulation... and I would apply some rear brake always as I found the bike would hunker down nicely in that situation. With my dirt bikes, don't ever remember using much front brake on the trails/makeshift tracks we used to ride.

Right! It's opposite (mostly) in the dirt!

You're using the back to help you square off and get around the corner.

The problem on the street is the front hunkers down, and the rear is getting unsprung which has less traction and makes lock up easier. I've also found that those who rode in the dirt have MUCH better rear brake mastery when going to the street.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:36:05 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1092 on: May 07, 2018, 03:49:38 pm »
I usually just use the front brake, and the rear just for a bit of stability, unless creeping along in first in heavy traffic.

In the dirt, only for getting the rear end around for the most part.
i must have missed the thread about this...sorry to hear you wiped out...glad you're ok (relatively speaking)...this must have happened shortly after you got it as i noticed a post from you about getting the bike, then there was talk about it having beauty marks on it.  :(
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1093 on: May 07, 2018, 04:42:10 pm »
Somehow managed to highside on the way home from the dealership. Not one of my more stellar moments.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1094 on: May 07, 2018, 06:24:41 pm »
Somehow managed to highside on the way home from the dealership. Not one of my more stellar moments.
that sucks...as crappy as you may feel, it could have been worse...a buddy of mine (like, 25 years ago), went down when the rear end lost traction mid curve and ended up sliding into head on traffic and was partially run over by an oncoming vehicle...he is paralyzed from the waist down.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1095 on: May 07, 2018, 06:57:55 pm »
I think dirt experience is worth its weight in gold. On a typical ride if upping the pace I will lock the front up quite a bit not to mention the rear. Locking the front and learning to deal with it is good experience! Rear brake control is a must to bring down the front on wheelies.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 07, 2018, 07:10:44 pm »
I think dirt experience is worth its weight in gold. On a typical ride if upping the pace I will lock the front up quite a bit not to mention the rear. Locking the front and learning to deal with it is good experience! Rear brake control is a must to bring down the front on wheelies.

Yes!

I'm really glad I spent 10+ years in the dirt before getting my first street bike.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 07, 2018, 11:07:41 pm »
Haven't been on the street for a few years but that is going to change soon...Waiting for the respring on the new toy.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 07, 2018, 11:08:29 pm »
Oh yea?  Do tell!   :o

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 07, 2018, 11:10:02 pm »
Husqvarna FE501 coming soon. It took a lot to pull me away from a PDS system so we will see what the linkage is all about.