Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458559 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2660 on: March 11, 2021, 03:35:08 pm »
I put mine in front of a heater for 30 mins.
The best is wrecking a tube with your irons or pinching it! LOL

I was late in the game buying some really nice irons from Motion Pro...which made it a bit easier.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2661 on: March 11, 2021, 03:37:21 pm »
Ugh, I went through 4 rear tires and 2 front tires on my old Vino 125 in 18,000 km. Never again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2662 on: March 11, 2021, 03:37:42 pm »
How much does a tire/bike shop charge for doing this?? I've seen this on youtube and changing a tire/tube at home seems like a bad time to me.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: March 11, 2021, 03:44:32 pm »
How much does a tire/bike shop charge for doing this?? I've seen this on youtube and changing a tire/tube at home seems like a bad time to me.

The Bike Shoppe charges I think $80-90 for the rear tire and $50-60 for the front tire? Their tire prices are very comparable to online btw. I was quoted $290 installed for Michelin Road 5s which go for $210 on Fortnine. If you bring your wheels in loose, they would probably charge $30-40.

You have a tube tire on your bike, should be somewhere between a tubeless tire and a bicycle tire in terms of difficulty.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2664 on: March 11, 2021, 03:46:11 pm »

The Bike Shoppe charges I think $80-90 for the rear tire and $50 for the front tire? Their tire prices are very comparable to online btw. If you bring your wheels in loose, they would probably charge $30.

You have a tube tire on your bike, should be somewhere between a tubeless tire and a bicycle tire in terms of difficulty.

I remember doing bike tires when I was a kid, not fun, but I can imagine on a much bigger, stiffer tire would be a huge PITA.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2665 on: March 11, 2021, 03:55:36 pm »

The Bike Shoppe charges I think $80-90 for the rear tire and $50 for the front tire? Their tire prices are very comparable to online btw. If you bring your wheels in loose, they would probably charge $30.

I remember doing bike tires when I was a kid, not fun, but I can imagine on a much bigger, stiffer tire would be a huge PITA.

I don't know what street tires are like, but dirt tires are a million times worse than a bicycle tire. 

We typically make a garage/beer session out of it.  Buddy of mine has all the tools including the wheel stand, so I go over with some cold ones and get it done.  It's been a while, but the local shop charges about $40 I think to change over.  Not about the money, more about the pain of dropping off and picking up later. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: March 11, 2021, 04:01:41 pm »

I don't know what street tires are like, but dirt tires are a million times worse than a bicycle tire. 

Sport bike tires?

Forget about it.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: March 11, 2021, 04:05:33 pm »

Sport bike tires?

Forget about it.

Worse than scooter tires?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2668 on: March 11, 2021, 04:06:44 pm »

I was late in the game buying some really nice irons from Motion Pro...which made it a bit easier.

I pinched the first tube, so that was an excuse to buy 3 more proper HD ones, which I wanted to get anyway. The one I pinched was used anyway so no biggie, at least I hadn't bought it. I also bought the Motion Pro spoons too as my irons weren't flat enough.

Dirt bike tires are fine, I have no problem changing those, I'm not going to pay anyone to do that. It's basically a big mountain bike wheel. Now I have a tire stand and the right tools it's easy. Road bike I'll pay someone else to do, way too much bead tension for me to faff around with it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2669 on: March 11, 2021, 04:39:13 pm »

I pinched the first tube, so that was an excuse to buy 3 more proper HD ones, which I wanted to get anyway. The one I pinched was used anyway so no biggie, at least I hadn't bought it. I also bought the Motion Pro spoons too as my irons weren't flat enough.

Dirt bike tires are fine, I have no problem changing those, I'm not going to pay anyone to do that. It's basically a big mountain bike wheel. Now I have a tire stand and the right tools it's easy. Road bike I'll pay someone else to do, way too much bead tension for me to faff around with it.

I find there's a big difference between tires: some go on easy, and some are damn near impossible. Depends on sidewall stiffness I guess, but I also think manufacturing quality has something to do with it.

I had some made-in-Thailand Michelin Starcross tires that were truly horrible. Destroyed all my knuckles before I finally gave up and took the rim and tire to the shop. I felt better when the tire shop guy said they were among the worst he'd ever had to mount and he almost gave up too. It was almost like they'd been made 1/2" too small for the rim. No way I was ever going to buy another set, yet others I talked to said theirs went on fine.

Last pair of mtb tires I mounted, I didn't even need to use the plastic levers to get it on, just rolled the bead on with my thumb!

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2670 on: March 11, 2021, 07:46:00 pm »

I have so many patchs from pinching tubes it isn't funny. :P
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: March 11, 2021, 07:48:23 pm »

I have so many patchs from pinching tubes it isn't funny. :P

I think Tubliss system is probably the way to go off-road for most.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 07:52:56 pm by rrocket »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2672 on: March 11, 2021, 08:08:49 pm »
^^ Riding buddy of mine swears by it. He’s running 4-6 psi with gummies and says the grip is incredible.

I’ve been tempted, but it’s pricey. Also been tempted by the newer Nitro Mousses: apparently there’s a softer one that mimics a 6-8 psi feel.

Not going to do it this time, though. I’ve got a couple of new UHD tubes that I’ll throw in when I put on the new Kendas.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: March 11, 2021, 08:17:23 pm »
^^ Riding buddy of mine swears by it. He’s running 4-6 psi with gummies and says the grip is incredible.

I’ve been tempted, but it’s pricey. Also been tempted by the newer Nitro Mousses: apparently there’s a softer one that mimics a 6-8 psi feel.

Not going to do it this time, though. I’ve got a couple of new UHD tubes that I’ll throw in when I put on the new Kendas.

Yep..Tubliss is such a smart system.

Be careful with mousse. Very dependent on riding style.  I killed a set with my XR650R.  Though that was long ago and they might be much improved these days.

I'd still go Tubliss.

I used to rub tubes with SLime hole sealer built right in them.  Forget what they were called.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2674 on: March 11, 2021, 09:26:01 pm »
I looked into mousses, they are better but are still too expensive to only last a season or two. I can't be bothered with the hassle of installing tubliss.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: March 11, 2021, 11:20:01 pm »
I can't be bothered with the hassle of installing tubliss.

Oh I could....no more pinching tubes, fewer flats,  better traction, better handling, better braking, etc

I'm 100% on board.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2676 on: March 13, 2021, 01:03:16 am »
Finally got the new tire(s) on!

Bridgestone Battlecross X30 for me, and moved my 1 season old Dunlop AT81 to my son's bike, to replace his perished front tire. 

And put in some HD innertubes.

My hands and shoulders still ache, my god what a job...

What is with all the pi$$ing and moaning regarding spooning tires? It should take no more than 5-10 mins tops. More than that or using force means you are doing in wrong. Get the opposite side bead in the center of the rim and the rest is gravy. I spoon tires all the time with 2  10" aluminum motion pro spoons. Almost no force. WTH are you all doing lol?   ;D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2677 on: March 13, 2021, 02:22:24 am »
^Experience man. Still a struggle for me every time. It’s not easy that’s for sure.

Good to see you back on here.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2678 on: March 13, 2021, 02:53:19 am »
^Experience man. Still a struggle for me every time. It’s not easy that’s for sure.

Good to see you back on here.

1) Yeah it's been awhile. Really have little to say on the car front..

2) With the tire thing the key and only key is to keep the opposite bead of where you are spooning in the center of the rim. Do not let the tire bead migrate to the edge of the wheel. Look at a moto wheel, in the center the circumference is smaller than the edges. Use a bead buddy or vice grips or anything to keep the tire bead from seating.

3) I had some old ISDE riders show me how and those guys could move. 5-10 mins from wheel on bike to wheel back on bike.

4) Tubliss vs UHD tubes vs mousse. I like UHDs for most applications. Tubliss are OK and handy if airing down etc but field repairs are sometimes more challenging than repairing a conventional tube. I carry a 21" tube to use in front or rear and a patch kit and a bike pump. On a long adventure multi day ride I can handle endless flats lol.  With the tubliss sometimes finding the puncture in the tire is the issue, or a torn tire. Either way hard to plug. The tubliss guys I ride ride with carry a tube on multi day rides.. The mousse is great for a specific application but they do not like sustained speed. They get very hot and can break down.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: March 13, 2021, 04:49:01 am »
Different compounds going on different. I've had mostly easy..but some PITA.

I recall my Kenda Trakmaster being a PITA.