Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458694 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2580 on: February 10, 2021, 03:18:42 pm »
I know cruisers aren't exactly a group fave, but I love Indian's newly released 2022 (?) Chief.  It's like a grown up Scout.  Not sure what took them so long.  Before this if you wanted a bigger cruiser than the Scout you were stuck with a bagger.  I much prefer this.

i love cruisers, no need to convince me...way more comfortable to ride than a sport bike and you're less likely to be stupid on them (they just don't entice you that way)...this is a really nice looking bike...really nice feature set too...i suppose the negatives are that it's definitely a large cruiser (in terms of weight and engine size), but it's a bike you'd buy once and own for a long time...it's not "cheap" at $17-$18.6k , but well priced in the segment.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2581 on: February 10, 2021, 03:20:27 pm »
I know cruisers aren't exactly a group fave, but I love Indian's newly released 2022 (?) Chief.  It's like a grown up Scout.  Not sure what took them so long.  Before this if you wanted a bigger cruiser than the Scout you were stuck with a bagger.  I much prefer this.

I love that red!  Softer, brushed.  It's not screaming, in-your-face, fire engine red.  And no chromey bits.  Beautiful.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2582 on: February 10, 2021, 03:49:48 pm »
Ron - yep, I've read some good reviews on the big Rebel.

Dj - yes that about sums it up. A cruiser won't be my first bike- but something I would consider down the road. I also really like the Triumph Speedmaster. Big and heavy doesn't bother me - at least conceptually. These things are all about gliding on an endless wave of torque and doing so in style.

Brig - ya - that colour is totally fab. And that muted black everywhere else really sets it off.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: February 10, 2021, 06:11:44 pm »
personally, i'm not a fan of the Rebel 1100...i know, i've never ridden it, but that engine doesn't really interest me and i don't find it looks that great (IMO)...add in a chain drive and it just doesn't seem right to me...a parallel twin and chain drive CAN work on a bike (Triumph does a good job with them), i just don't find any of the Rebels appealing...plus, at $13k, you're getting into the territory of (IMO) better bikes.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: February 10, 2021, 06:34:32 pm »
personally, i'm not a fan of the Rebel 1100...i know, i've never ridden it, but that engine doesn't really interest me and i don't find it looks that great (IMO)...add in a chain drive and it just doesn't seem right to me...a parallel twin and chain drive CAN work on a bike (Triumph does a good job with them), i just don't find any of the Rebels appealing...plus, at $13k, you're getting into the territory of (IMO) better bikes.

Engine is very good to fantastic BTW (have ridden it on the  Africa Twin). The bike overall is not for me either (but not for the reasons you state).

But I've read a couple reviews so far and they both have been very positive.....rare for a cruiser IMO.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:39:59 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: February 10, 2021, 07:44:52 pm »

Engine is very good to fantastic BTW (have ridden it on the  Africa Twin). The bike overall is not for me either (but not for the reasons you state).

But I've read a couple reviews so far and they both have been very positive.....rare for a cruiser IMO.
yea, hard to put a finger on it for me...i just don't find them interesting at all (and i like most Honda bikes and have owned a few).

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2586 on: February 10, 2021, 11:32:54 pm »
Wow, some serious warranty issues on the KTM 790 Adventure R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoMltZusrzs

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: February 11, 2021, 12:13:34 am »

Looks like a lemon...or built on Friday before a holiday weekend!  LOL   :rofl: :rofl2:

Local guy has one...he rides it HARD (he's a pro X-country racer...Does Baja, etc..but not on his 790!)  His has been flawless thus far.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:24:51 am by rrocket »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2588 on: February 12, 2021, 12:30:34 pm »

Looks like a lemon...or built on Friday before a holiday weekend!  LOL   :rofl: :rofl2:

Local guy has one...he rides it HARD (he's a pro X-country racer...Does Baja, etc..but not on his 790!)  His has been flawless thus far.

He got the one good one? 

Only thing worse than FGC is FAB (Facking Austrian Bikes)?  ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: February 12, 2021, 02:47:18 pm »

He got the one good one? 

his update doesn't sound promising either:

update: I am now at 6500 miles and have returned it to the dealer multiple times for new issues and follow up issue. out of service time is now over 60 days in less than 5 months.

out of the 5 months he's had it, it's been in the shop for 2 of them...yikes...i'd definitely be demanding a refund under the lemon law.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: February 14, 2021, 04:33:05 am »

He got the one good one? 

his update doesn't sound promising either:

update: I am now at 6500 miles and have returned it to the dealer multiple times for new issues and follow up issue. out of service time is now over 60 days in less than 5 months.

out of the 5 months he's had it, it's been in the shop for 2 of them...yikes...i'd definitely be demanding a refund under the lemon law.
Yep.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: February 15, 2021, 09:47:13 am »
Guy I know does old car appraisals...was doing one in January and saw this dust covered bike sitting in a corner.  Asked, agreed...brought it home.  $8g...ouch...for a 1981 bike...but...it's a 1 owner CBX1000 with 18,000 km on it.  Says one went on E-Bay recently for $19 and change with less km/miles but not as nice condition (as much as you can tell by pics I guess).  Bought a new NOS seat (original has a 1/2" rip) for a grand ( :o) and getting it tuned and checked in a couple of weeks ($1-2g was his quoted estimate! Fack! What is this, a German Honda??).  Lucky bastahd!

He's got quite the sled collection too...lots of old stuff and not sure how rare that turbo 1100 is...sheesh...can't imagine what that must feel like to ride.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:17:47 pm by BWII »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2592 on: February 15, 2021, 10:08:08 am »
That looks amazing! Damn I thought you'd bought it!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2593 on: February 15, 2021, 11:28:19 am »

I was in love with those bikes when they launched.

If BW bought that, he'd be posting from a Motel 6 after his wife tossed him out of the house.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2594 on: February 15, 2021, 11:42:23 am »
Sweet find.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: February 15, 2021, 01:17:30 pm »

If BW bought that, he'd be posting from a Motel 6 after his wife tossed him out of the house.

You probably not too wrong.

My bro sent me a local add for a 1985 V-Max...$2750 OBO, needs carbs rebuilt and fork seals...I am very tempted.  But no Motel 6 nearby...  ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: February 15, 2021, 01:59:47 pm »
... and getting it tuned and checked in a couple of weeks ($1-2g was his quoted estimate! Fack! What is this, a German Honda??).  Lucky bastahd!

the tune cost seems a bit high, but they might just be giving plenty or warning/room in case things come up...the issue with old bikes is parts aren't as common or cheap (due to the minimal sales volumes of them), and that bike has 6 carbs you need to sync up...it's a PITA and tricky to do, but once done, it's epic...that engine is legendary and why those bikes can command such a price on the used market...it looks like it's in pretty good shape, so likely quite the "bargain" if he's going to have about $10-$12k into it.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2597 on: February 15, 2021, 02:17:51 pm »

You probably not too wrong.
 But no Motel 6 nearby...  ;D

The Maple Leaf Motel will have to do.    ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:19:51 pm by Bubba »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2598 on: February 15, 2021, 03:02:57 pm »
... and getting it tuned and checked in a couple of weeks ($1-2g was his quoted estimate! Fack! What is this, a German Honda??).  Lucky bastahd!

the tune cost seems a bit high, but they might just be giving plenty or warning/room in case things come up...the issue with old bikes is parts aren't as common or cheap (due to the minimal sales volumes of them), and that bike has 6 carbs you need to sync up...it's a PITA and tricky to do, but once done, it's epic...that engine is legendary and why those bikes can command such a price on the used market...it looks like it's in pretty good shape, so likely quite the "bargain" if he's going to have about $10-$12k into it.

If it's been sitting for years the carbs might have to be taken apart and cleaned as well.  Maybe the valves are due to be checked?   New tires, battery, air filter might also be on the list?
Mr Pickypants

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: February 15, 2021, 04:09:11 pm »
If it's been sitting for years the carbs might have to be taken apart and cleaned as well.  Maybe the valves are due to be checked?   New tires, battery, air filter might also be on the list?
yea, all quite possible...and it's likely perhaps that shop just gives honest scenarios knowing it's an old bike...don't want to say it's $250 for at tune up, only to have it end up being $2000 if needs more work, tires, brakes, etc...he's likely just being realistic of what it may actually need so there's no surprises...either way, it's a bargain as those bikes are rare and that engine is known as one of the best engines ever installed in a bike...it's even impressive today, let alone 40 years ago.