Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458867 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2120 on: September 17, 2020, 01:44:40 pm »

Downside?  I guess people with bike egos think they aren't "cool" enough..and I admit, 5 years prior I would have NEVER owned a scooter.  But the all around ability changed my attitude.  Don't get me wrong...I still LOVE the hardest core motorcycles around (supermotos) and they will always be my choice mount.  But for fully committing to riding everyday and doing it all (within the confines of what's possible), really tough to beat.  I know I racked up way more mileage riding my scooter in a year than many true "motorcyclists" that I was friendly with. I guess this made me more into a "it's not what you ride, it's how much you ride" type of rider.

I don't disagree with everything you said about your scooter, but I would disagree about the ego thing. How I perceive a bike/scooter to look is more about taste, than my own self importance. I bought the Triumph because I love the bike, knowing full well that some people don't think ADV bikes look cool either. Couldn't care less. So personally I wouldn't buy a scooter because I don't like how they look, not because I care about what people would think of me.
Bob....you're not the only one in my bike orbit.

So that comment might not apply to you.

But I can honestly tell you...that motorcyclists who won't touch a scooter isn't because of how scooters look.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2121 on: September 17, 2020, 01:47:39 pm »

Downside?  I guess people with bike egos think they aren't "cool" enough..and I admit, 5 years prior I would have NEVER owned a scooter.  But the all around ability changed my attitude.  Don't get me wrong...I still LOVE the hardest core motorcycles around (supermotos) and they will always be my choice mount.  But for fully committing to riding everyday and doing it all (within the confines of what's possible), really tough to beat.  I know I racked up way more mileage riding my scooter in a year than many true "motorcyclists" that I was friendly with. I guess this made me more into a "it's not what you ride, it's how much you ride" type of rider.

I don't disagree with everything you said about your scooter, but I would disagree about the ego thing. How I perceive a bike/scooter to look is more about taste, than my own self importance. I bought the Triumph because I love the bike, knowing full well that some people don't think ADV bikes look cool either. Couldn't care less. So personally I wouldn't buy a scooter because I don't like how they look, not because I care about what people would think of me.

But I can honestly tell you...that motorcyclists who won't touch a scooter isn't because of how scooters look.

:thumbup:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: September 17, 2020, 01:58:02 pm »

[emoji106]
And to expand on that...in an anecdotal way....I didn't get many waves back from other motorcyclist on the road (though the BMW seemed to fool them)

So others definitely thought of them as something less IMO.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2123 on: September 17, 2020, 01:59:11 pm »
I wave to everyone, even trikes. It's only HD riders that don't wave back.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: September 17, 2020, 02:10:17 pm »
FWIW, I've always thought ADV bikes were some of the coolest looking....but I come from a dirtbike background. Another reason why I think SM are the bomb!

But much like scooters...most don't buy ADV bikes for the odd looks...But rather the extreme utility and all around enjoyment they provide.

I wave to every one! I know 2 guys who went to trikes because of their age. Their old legs could no longer hold up a loaded touring rig with a passenger and they still desperately wanted to ride. The guy who bought my BMW was in the same boat. Had an ST1300 (iirc) and had a bum leg. As he aged, it acted up and the weight and higher CoG made it tough for him. And bike touring was he and the wife's big passion. He texted me a bit ago and said he add the wife had racked up 10k already on the BMW!

So again...I think it matters less what you ride..But that you ride.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: September 17, 2020, 02:18:58 pm »
I always waved to the scooter guys. Two wheels is a small enough brotherhood/sisterhood that we don't need to get hung up on brands imho. Most everyone waved back except for the occasional group of Harley guys (but most still did).

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: September 17, 2020, 02:52:17 pm »
I sometime stop waving because I'm tired of it. i just lift my fingers from the grip in a lazy fasion.   On the roads I go on they are bike everywhere so it get annoying waving at everyone :P.  I wouldn't mind driving scooter too, anything 2 wheel is fun IMO.   
Yea....sometimes it does seem to get to be too much. I've usually done what I term the "sportbike" wave...wave with my left hand damn near down by my knee. LOL

I've designated IQ as the official waver on many rides LOL

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: September 17, 2020, 04:41:04 pm »
I just don't wave at e-bikes. Tw@ts.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: September 17, 2020, 05:12:09 pm »

DUI bikes you mean?   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2129 on: September 17, 2020, 05:31:35 pm »
those abominations don't count. :)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2130 on: September 26, 2020, 08:34:41 pm »
A friend took these two for a ride today.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2131 on: September 27, 2020, 12:29:59 pm »
Ryan posted a new FortNine video today...today's review, the KTM 390 ADV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUcnNjUECEw

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1203
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2132 on: September 27, 2020, 05:04:10 pm »
A friend took these two for a ride today.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Very nice. I have a friend who used to own a Kawasaki just like that!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2133 on: September 27, 2020, 05:21:48 pm »
Went out for a ride with a few buddies today, first time on a public road/highway, had a blast. Think I'm gonna like this motorbike thing

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: September 27, 2020, 05:33:32 pm »
Went out for a ride with a few buddies today, first time on a public road/highway, had a blast. Think I'm gonna like this motorbike thing

Enjoy  :thumbup:
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: September 27, 2020, 05:57:36 pm »

Wait till you do some off the beaten path exploring...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: September 27, 2020, 06:00:59 pm »
I bet, offroad sounds good. Still working on the whole staying upright thing

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: September 27, 2020, 06:04:57 pm »

Even some back road gravel/dirt roads are fun....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: September 27, 2020, 06:10:33 pm »

Do I not need knobbie tires for any kind of gravel/dirt work??

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: September 27, 2020, 06:18:11 pm »

Do I not need knobbie tires for any kind of gravel/dirt work??

No...just don't be alarmed if you feel the bike moving around on bigger gravel-sized roads....rear brake coming to a stop if you aren't comfortable with front braking on gravel.

Just take it easy and you'll be fine!