Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458668 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2000 on: June 09, 2020, 11:24:57 pm »
Hey...remember these?  They still fetch big money...

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2001 on: June 10, 2020, 01:35:09 am »
I recall the ads but have never saw one in the flesh.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: June 10, 2020, 08:05:27 pm »
Had a good day riding with the young ones.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2003 on: June 11, 2020, 08:41:04 am »
Awesome fun!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2004 on: June 16, 2020, 03:31:01 pm »
Snuck out at lunch for a scoot with Junior before the rains come for the next couple days. Benefit of living on the edge of a small City, just hop on and go. It no scenery like Ktm and heli have, but it’s always fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: June 16, 2020, 04:37:17 pm »
First rule: Any riding is good riding and that looks awesome .   A plus I imagine is the sandy soil when it is wet. Considering some of the unusable land near Saskatoon is there any way to develop some single track trail networks?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2006 on: June 16, 2020, 04:43:47 pm »
First rule: Any riding is good riding and that looks awesome .   A plus I imagine is the sandy soil when it is wet. Considering some of the unusable land near Saskatoon is there any way to develop some single track trail networks?

I dunno, it'd be tough.  Any single track is sure to turn into a quad trail with the amount of guys with quads and chainsaws around here.  I've yet to ride a single track in SK except for when I was a kid, prior to quads gaining popularity. 

Best riding I've had in SK is the Nesbit Forest 45 min north of S'toon towards Prince Albert.  Thinking of heading further north this summer; rent some cabins up near the Narrow Hills Provincial Park.  Need to do more research on the trails up there.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2007 on: June 16, 2020, 04:56:04 pm »
Snuck out at lunch for a scoot with Junior before the rains come for the next couple days. Benefit of living on the edge of a small City, just hop on and go. It no scenery like Ktm and heli have, but it’s always fun.

Yes, that is great! :thumbup:

I’ve had all the time in the world this spring, but have only been out on the dirt bike once. Riding means I’ve got to put the rack on the Yukon, load the bike and all my stuff, then drive for an hour and a half to get someplace to ride...

Or I can just hop on my mountain bike and have miles of trails to choose from, right from my back door.

I love dirt biking, but man it sure can be a PITA. Would love to be able to ride that from my back door too.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: June 16, 2020, 05:00:11 pm »

I’ve had all the time in the world this spring, but have only been out on the dirt bike once. Riding means I’ve got to put the rack on the Yukon, load the bike and all my stuff, then drive for an hour and a half to get someplace to ride...

Or I can just hop on my mountain bike and have miles of trails to choose from, right from my back door.

I love dirt biking, but man it sure can be a PITA. Would love to be able to ride that from my back door too.

Yup you need to move,. You chose lattes over trails lol.  ;D One of my buddys backs onto singletrack and it is very handy. It's the reason I ride the 501. I can find tracks nearly everywhere but mostly in BC.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: June 16, 2020, 05:03:44 pm »

Could you bridge that gap?  Surely some gnarly dirt bike/MTB EV hybrid is allowed on trails?

Some guy won a motorcycle Hare Scramble on one of these:  Pure EV should be legal on MTB trails, no?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: June 16, 2020, 05:12:16 pm »
^^ Nope, even pedal-assist e-bikes aren’t allowed on 95% of the trails here. People cheat, and mostly get away with it, but I think I wouldn’t make it 100 feet down the trail on something that looked like that. For sure I’d get a hot latte thrown in my face.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:14:39 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: June 16, 2020, 05:13:45 pm »
^^ Nope, even pedal-assist e-bikes aren’t allowed on 95% of the trails here. People cheat, and mostly get away with it, but I think I wouldn’t make it 100 feet down the trail on something that looked like that. For sure I’d get a hot latté thrown in my face.  ;D

You could say "I'll leave if you catch me".   :rofl2:

Is it an actual law or by-law?  Or just some busy-bodies who say so?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: June 16, 2020, 05:16:33 pm »
Almost all the trails are in a Provincial Park, so more than just a by-law thing. Not sure what the actual penalty would be, though.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: June 16, 2020, 05:22:00 pm »
Almost all the trails are in a Provincial Park, so more than just a by-law thing. Not sure what the actual penalty would be, though.

Yea..interesting.

I wonder how they'd "prove" an e-bike is undesirable but a regular bike is OK?  Like "EVs/e-bikes are a socially responsible way of commuting and enjoying the outdoors.  Why are these banned?" type of thing..

I say you should be the test case!   ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2014 on: June 16, 2020, 05:28:44 pm »

Yea..interesting.

I wonder how they'd "prove" an e-bike is undesirable but a regular bike is OK?  Like "EVs/e-bikes are a socially responsible way of commuting and enjoying the outdoors.  Why are these banned?" type of thing..

But an e-bike with a powerful motor is more similar to a dirt bike, so why should they be legal on MTB trails when a dirt bike isn't?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: June 16, 2020, 05:39:08 pm »
There’s currently a pilot project to allow e-bikes on some trails in the Provincial Parks. None of them are around here, though. https://albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/kananaskis-country/park-management/e-bike-pilot-project/

I suppose it will probably come. I’m not really against it, but it will suck if it just means more people on the trails. 

Not interested in buying one for myself, though. I actually just got back from a ride earlier, and cleaned a long and heinous climb that I’d never made it all the way up in one go before. I enjoy the challenge. Would have been a piece of cake with a motor.  :P

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: June 16, 2020, 05:41:22 pm »

Yea..interesting.

But an e-bike with a powerful motor is more similar to a dirt bike, so why should they be legal on MTB trails when a dirt bike isn't?

Yes, there’s certainly a distinction between pedal assist and full on electric dirt bike. I can’t see the latter ever being legalized for use on the Park trails.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: June 16, 2020, 05:43:21 pm »

Yea..interesting.

I always understood it to be a weight issue (rutting).

Your generic e-bikes (which Heli said are illegal just the same) top out at 32km/h.....and I'd wager most experience MTB riders could easily eclipse that speed if they wanted. So I don't think it appears to be a speed thing.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: June 16, 2020, 05:45:17 pm »

Yes, there’s certainly a distinction between pedal assist and full on electric dirt bike. I can’t see the latter ever being legalized for use on the Park trails.

No problem..they have you covered with pedals if need be.   :rofl: :rofl2:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:47:10 pm by rrocket »

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1202
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2019 on: June 16, 2020, 07:05:27 pm »
Not sure I understand why e-bikes are illegal on some MTB trails. Downhill they are not any faster than a regular bike, on level ground they top at 32 kph which is similar to the speed a hotshot can reach on a regular bike. The big difference is going uphill; then it becomes a matter of courtesy. If I catch up a guy Uphill on a regular in a steep singletrack, I reduce the assistance to the minimum and stay behind. Yes I could shout to him to get out of the way and zoom right past but that would be a sure way to close the trails here to e-bikes.

As for the weight, I don’t buy it. My e-bike and I added up is 210 lbs. Are the trails illegal to 180 pounders on a 30 pound regular bike? And I ride on 2.6 tires, wider than most 2.10-2.30 usually on regular bikes.