Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 111346 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #740 on: November 14, 2022, 02:18:44 pm »

5-6 years ago I was right there with you, paying $80-90/month per line for modern devices, 10-15GB of data, etc, multiplied by 2 for my spouse and I.  Then about 4 years ago I got tired of paying that much, stopped all the upgrades, and went back to basics, keeping phones for a few years without upgrading, and going with the minimum amount of data I could get by with.  Today, our cellphone bill for my wife and I combined, is just under $120/month, taxes and fees in.  Once our phones are both paid off, that drops down to about $75/month. 

I have to do a bit of data management, but honestly, it hasn't been too much of an issue.

Are you still with Public Mobile?

We moved to Koodo a year and a half ago.

I'm still with Public.  They're offering 5GB at 4G speed for $40/mo now.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #741 on: November 14, 2022, 03:04:02 pm »

5-6 years ago I was right there with you, paying $80-90/month per line for modern devices, 10-15GB of data, etc, multiplied by 2 for my spouse and I.  Then about 4 years ago I got tired of paying that much, stopped all the upgrades, and went back to basics, keeping phones for a few years without upgrading, and going with the minimum amount of data I could get by with.  Today, our cellphone bill for my wife and I combined, is just under $120/month, taxes and fees in.  Once our phones are both paid off, that drops down to about $75/month. 

I have to do a bit of data management, but honestly, it hasn't been too much of an issue.

Are you still with Public Mobile?

We moved to Koodo a year and a half ago.

I'm still with Public.  They're offering 5GB at 4G speed for $40/mo now.

That's what I have with koodo.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #742 on: November 14, 2022, 03:05:05 pm »
The best thing about cell phones is the flash light.  I spend $10 plus HST with Lucky Mobile which is a Bell knock off.  Been like that for 5 years.  Phone is a recent Samsung for under $200.  50 min, 50 text, no data.  Now having said that my wife's phone is a new Apple and when we are out together I use that if I must.  However, that phone belongs to my son's business so all things cellular have been pretty well nil. 

It all balances out because I get hit too hard on the Shaw sat service and I still pay for wired Bell service at home which is $78 /mth tax in.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #743 on: November 15, 2022, 09:49:10 am »
Hmmmm, looks like Bell has a new option, for $65 per month get 15GB of data.  If I buy the standard size iPhone 14 128GB I will also get $150 Costco gift card.  Even though it's not the bigger iPhone, it's the newest generation, and at an additional $150 off, plus the best coverage.  I think she'd be pretty pleased with that.  I'm still going to hold off for another 10 days until black friday.  But at the very least this will get it to within the monthly cost I was hoping for.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 15, 2022, 10:34:49 am »
I ordered a Pixel 7 Pro from Google today. $300 off.

15 days return policy so I will still be on the lookout for the best deal.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #745 on: November 16, 2022, 01:52:52 pm »
I ordered the Galaxy S22 (256Gb) today through my provider (Videotron) since it went on sale. Yesterday it was $48.75/month, today it was $28.75/month over 2 years. So total cost just under $780 with taxes. Costco has the 128Gb version for $960 out the door taxes in, figured it was a decent enough deal. I've had my S10e for about 3.5yrs now & it's been great, only the battery life with heavy usage is not what it used to be. For example when I'm golfing in the colder fall weather I have my golf app running as well as a music app (Prime or Sirius) & after 4.5hrs the battery is down to 12 - 18%. I usually make sure it's almost 100% when I start.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #746 on: November 22, 2022, 12:09:23 pm »
Okay, going to pull the trigger today for a phone and plan for the wife.  New iPhone 13, zero down for $30 per month for 24 months.  Provider is Koodo, 20GB of data for $50 per month.  Plus a $300 Walmart gift card.  So even with adding a music streaming service like Apple Music or Spotify, the bill should be below the $120 per month sweet spot I was trying to stay under.  The $700 I have saved for a down payment I guess will just be put towards my next vehicles down payment account.  I'll likely wait until after the holidays just in case we need that money. 

The deals on iPhone 14's weren't really all that great, probably $10-$20 more per month, plus only a $100-$150 gift card.  The 13's have the same chip and from what I read there is just one new photo feature that is worth upgrading to the 14's and I highly doubt my wife will feel like she is missing out.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #747 on: November 22, 2022, 12:21:10 pm »
^^ Just something to consider, but the 14 also has emergency satellite communication. Might not be of any use to you, but if you’re ever out of cell range hiking, hunting, fishing, whatever, it would be nice to have.

We spent $500 on a PLB last year and could have avoided the expense with an iPhone 14 instead.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 22, 2022, 01:10:27 pm »
^^ Just something to consider, but the 14 also has emergency satellite communication. Might not be of any use to you, but if you’re ever out of cell range hiking, hunting, fishing, whatever, it would be nice to have.

We spent $500 on a PLB last year and could have avoided the expense with an iPhone 14 instead.
The only time that she would ever be outside cell service would be on her dads fishing boat in NL, but that would only go about a click off shore so likely still some service there, and if not they have a radio.  We aren't really the outdoors/back woods type.  But that's good to know, as I was not aware and likely not a lot of people know that fact.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 25, 2022, 08:29:11 pm »
Jumped to a bring your own device plan with Fido. 20 GB data, 4G speed (max 150 mbps), Canada wide calling/text, etc. for $30 plus tax (15 months). No contract.

Koodo is offering the same but for 24 months, Virgin 15 months. I couldn't go to Koodo because I was already with them.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #750 on: March 08, 2023, 01:28:39 pm »
Is there a way to keep getting your text messages if your phone is turned off or the sim card is removed?

IE: I need to go to the USA and will get a temp plan there so my sim card won't be in my phone but there could be important text msgs that I will miss.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #751 on: March 08, 2023, 01:34:15 pm »
Is there a way to keep getting your text messages if your phone is turned off or the sim card is removed?

IE: I need to go to the USA and will get a temp plan there so my sim card won't be in my phone but there could be important text msgs that I will miss.

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+you+auto-forward+text+messages&rlz=1C1GCEB_enCA964CA964&oq=can+you+auto-forward+text+messages&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l2j0i10i22i30j0i22i30j0i390l4.8040j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 08, 2023, 01:56:49 pm »

Have you looked into seeing if your provider offers a temporary plan that can facilitate this while you are in the US?  We are with Koodo and you can switch the "perk" from data roll over to the international texts.  You can't use your data, but you can receive texts without incurring a cost.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 08, 2023, 01:58:35 pm »

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+you+auto-forward+text+messages&rlz=1C1GCEB_enCA964CA964&oq=can+you+auto-forward+text+messages&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l2j0i10i22i30j0i22i30j0i390l4.8040j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Saw that one before but it looks like your phone must be on for it to work.  I'm starting to think that unless the provider doesn't provide an option, there is no option.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 08, 2023, 01:59:31 pm »

Have you looked into seeing if your provider offers a temporary plan that can facilitate this while you are in the US?  We are with Koodo and you can switch the "perk" from data roll over to the international texts.  You can't use your data, but you can receive texts without incurring a cost.

Will give them a call but having a feeling they don't do anything as I'm on PC Mobile which is pretty bare bones.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 08, 2023, 02:22:11 pm »

Will give them a call but having a feeling they don't do anything as I'm on PC Mobile which is pretty bare bones.
Well I would give them a call because this is what I just saw on their website when looking at plans.  One of the things they do offer I see is for $20 per month you can get unlimited long distance in US, so one would assume they likely have something for text as well.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #756 on: March 08, 2023, 02:25:04 pm »
don't know who you are waiting text from but with some friend we use "whatsapp".  just need to get wifi once in a while to update.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 08, 2023, 04:41:50 pm »

Well I would give them a call because this is what I just saw on their website when looking at plans.  One of the things they do offer I see is for $20 per month you can get unlimited long distance in US, so one would assume they likely have something for text as well.

I believe that is calling TO the US from Canada.

EDIT: Correction. Seems it is for calls from either Canada or USA. Can't see anything about texting though.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 04:50:31 pm by quadzilla »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 08, 2023, 04:44:51 pm »
don't know who you are waiting text from but with some friend we use "whatsapp".  just need to get wifi once in a while to update.

A few business and personal contacts. I don't use whatsapp nor do I expect them to set it up just for me.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 08, 2023, 05:05:53 pm »

I believe that is calling TO the US from Canada.

EDIT: Correction. Seems it is for calls from either Canada or USA. Can't see anything about texting though.
Just need to contact them to see, you would assume that if you can make calls texts are likely bundled in as well.