Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 111384 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #700 on: November 10, 2022, 10:03:45 am »
Okay people, it's been a great run of not paying for a cell phone, I finally think it's time for my wife to get a cell phone.  I recently took on a higher role at work and am clearing about $70 more per pay, so I'm allocating $120 per month for a phone and service.  I'm thinking about waiting until black friday to get anything as that's typically a decent time to get into a plan (or so I've heard). 

Now the cell phone has to be an iPhone, we are definitely Apple people and all her family are Apple users so it's just easier.  So considering I'd like her to keep the phone for at least 3 years, I think it might be best to just pony up for the new iPhone 14.  I don't think she needs anything like the Max or Pro or whatever they are called, but also not the mini.  Her iPad is 3ish years old and she has been complaining about it's performance.  So I'm hoping a phone can at least keep her tied over for a year or two until we replace that for her.  Her iPad is a 64g version and it seems to be pretty much full. 

So taking all that into account, I'm thinking an iPhone 14 Plus 256g.  Do you think that should be good enough to keep her going for 3 years?

Also, we get our internet, home phone, and cable through Rogers, but I'm hesitant to go through them for cell phone service.  It seems like the big two are the most expensive, and I'm thinking about going with one of the other players.  So my next question is, how much data?  For the most part she will be either at home with wifi or at work with wifi.  She isn't one to be out and about watching videos or doing facetime, but of course having enough to do that stuff if she wanted is also something that she should be able to do.  I'm thinking 20GB plan should be enough, what do you think?

As I said, I'm new to this, so your input and experience is appreciated.

My wife does "bring your own device" with Telus (I give her my phone every 2 years).  $56 a month tax in, unlimited talk/text and 20GB data.  I don't recall what happens if she goes over 20GB (which is pretty much impossible for her), but I thought speed was throttled down and she wouldn't have any overage charges.  $120 less $56 gives you $64 a month to cover paying for a device.

Similar deal here, but with Rogers....Old corporate deal that we've had grandfathered. She gets unlimited talk/text and 20GB data for $56 (tax in) and provides her own phone....My work replaces my phone every two years, so I pass down my old one to her. Couple times I've had to buy her one because it dies or whatever, but it still works out best in the long term.
I have had my work iPhone 6 for the past 2.5 years and don't really feel like I need to upgrade.  The only thing that I'd appreciate is being able to use the wireless charging in my car.  Can't pass that down to my wife, it was basically obsolete when I got it 2.5 years ago.

You have an iPhone 6? That's an eight year old phone that went out of production four years ago and only supports a four year old OS. From a security perspective alone that's terrible, let alone from a performance and functionality standpoint.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 10, 2022, 10:04:49 am »
I'd take a 14 Pro over a 14 Plus (in fact, I did) but I prefer the smaller form factor. The primary reason to go with the Pro are the better cameras. The 14 doesn't have optical zoom either.

When the 14 Pro was announced people made fun of the Dynamic Island feature but honestly, it's awesome. I really didn't give it a second thought when I got the phone but now that I've had it for a bit I definitely appreciate the extra context it gives you of what's going on. The Pro also has the always on display but I disabled that because I found it distracting.

I went with the 128 GB model. 256 is overkill unless you insist on not having your music or photos in the cloud, or have some other specific use case that requires extra storage.
She will not use or appreciate the upgraded phone.  You have to remember, she is coming from a 3+ year old basic iPad that she usually for most photo taking.  This will be a major step up in that department regardless.  The bigger screen is just so it's a little closer to replacing or supplementing her iPad use.

She doesn't use the cloud for anything.  Hence why she is almost full on her iPad at 64GB, mind you that is after 3+ years of usage.

There's really no reason not to use iCloud. Are her photos backed up anywhere right now?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #702 on: November 10, 2022, 11:25:02 am »
I'd take a 14 Pro over a 14 Plus (in fact, I did) but I prefer the smaller form factor. The primary reason to go with the Pro are the better cameras. The 14 doesn't have optical zoom either.

When the 14 Pro was announced people made fun of the Dynamic Island feature but honestly, it's awesome. I really didn't give it a second thought when I got the phone but now that I've had it for a bit I definitely appreciate the extra context it gives you of what's going on. The Pro also has the always on display but I disabled that because I found it distracting.

I went with the 128 GB model. 256 is overkill unless you insist on not having your music or photos in the cloud, or have some other specific use case that requires extra storage.
She will not use or appreciate the upgraded phone.  You have to remember, she is coming from a 3+ year old basic iPad that she usually for most photo taking.  This will be a major step up in that department regardless.  The bigger screen is just so it's a little closer to replacing or supplementing her iPad use.

She doesn't use the cloud for anything.  Hence why she is almost full on her iPad at 64GB, mind you that is after 3+ years of usage.

There's really no reason not to use iCloud. Are her photos backed up anywhere right now?
Does Facebook count?  That's about it.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #703 on: November 10, 2022, 11:27:38 am »
Okay people, it's been a great run of not paying for a cell phone, I finally think it's time for my wife to get a cell phone.  I recently took on a higher role at work and am clearing about $70 more per pay, so I'm allocating $120 per month for a phone and service.  I'm thinking about waiting until black friday to get anything as that's typically a decent time to get into a plan (or so I've heard). 

Now the cell phone has to be an iPhone, we are definitely Apple people and all her family are Apple users so it's just easier.  So considering I'd like her to keep the phone for at least 3 years, I think it might be best to just pony up for the new iPhone 14.  I don't think she needs anything like the Max or Pro or whatever they are called, but also not the mini.  Her iPad is 3ish years old and she has been complaining about it's performance.  So I'm hoping a phone can at least keep her tied over for a year or two until we replace that for her.  Her iPad is a 64g version and it seems to be pretty much full. 

So taking all that into account, I'm thinking an iPhone 14 Plus 256g.  Do you think that should be good enough to keep her going for 3 years?

Also, we get our internet, home phone, and cable through Rogers, but I'm hesitant to go through them for cell phone service.  It seems like the big two are the most expensive, and I'm thinking about going with one of the other players.  So my next question is, how much data?  For the most part she will be either at home with wifi or at work with wifi.  She isn't one to be out and about watching videos or doing facetime, but of course having enough to do that stuff if she wanted is also something that she should be able to do.  I'm thinking 20GB plan should be enough, what do you think?

My wife does "bring your own device" with Telus (I give her my phone every 2 years).  $56 a month tax in, unlimited talk/text and 20GB data.  I don't recall what happens if she goes over 20GB (which is pretty much impossible for her), but I thought speed was throttled down and she wouldn't have any overage charges.  $120 less $56 gives you $64 a month to cover paying for a device.

Similar deal here, but with Rogers....Old corporate deal that we've had grandfathered. She gets unlimited talk/text and 20GB data for $56 (tax in) and provides her own phone....My work replaces my phone every two years, so I pass down my old one to her. Couple times I've had to buy her one because it dies or whatever, but it still works out best in the long term.
I have had my work iPhone 6 for the past 2.5 years and don't really feel like I need to upgrade.  The only thing that I'd appreciate is being able to use the wireless charging in my car.  Can't pass that down to my wife, it was basically obsolete when I got it 2.5 years ago.

You have an iPhone 6? That's an eight year old phone that went out of production four years ago and only supports a four year old OS. From a security perspective alone that's terrible, let alone from a performance and functionality standpoint.
All I know is that it was one of the two phones offered for GNB at the moment.  It's still functioning just fine.  As far as security, I would assume that GNB added their own layered security stuff for anything like emails or messenger.  I would upgrade to the iPhone SE right now, but it's not available and I'd have to go with a Samsung and I don't want to go with Android, for the same reason as my wife.  Had one prior to this iPhone and didn't like it at all.  Barely used it.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #704 on: November 10, 2022, 12:15:34 pm »
Still using my Galaxy S8.   ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #705 on: November 10, 2022, 12:21:51 pm »

Me too, rock soild device and works on US 5G networks

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #706 on: November 10, 2022, 04:10:29 pm »

I'm rocking a Galaxy S10E still... looking at the new S22 though, almost got one before our trip, but passed on it. Bella got the new Z-flip 4 before our trip, pretty good camera on that thing. Only reason I'd be looking to upgrade is for battery life at this point as mine seems to start running out after a heavy day of use.

As for plans, we're all with Videotron (5 of us) and we have 3 phones at 20gb/month at $40ea. and then the other 2 are 15gb/month at $30ea. Now that Bella has the new phone, that's costing her $52/month though... and all of that is plus taxes still of course  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #707 on: November 10, 2022, 04:20:03 pm »

I'm rocking a Galaxy S10E still... looking at the new S22 though, almost got one before our trip, but passed on it. Bella got the new Z-flip 4 before our trip, pretty good camera on that thing. Only reason I'd be looking to upgrade is for battery life at this point as mine seems to start running out after a heavy day of use.

As for plans, we're all with Videotron (5 of us) and we have 3 phones at 20gb/month at $40ea. and then the other 2 are 15gb/month at $30ea. Now that Bella has the new phone, that's costing her $52/month though... and all of that is plus taxes still of course  :rofl2:

I have a S22 and it's a nice unit.  My wife still rocks a S5.  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 10, 2022, 05:45:07 pm »
I think I'm one of the last people on earth who still needs a headphone jack.

I'm not even sure it will be an option on a decent phone when it's time to replace.  My last few phones have been LG who put a lot of effort into their headphone jacks.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 10, 2022, 06:33:03 pm »
I think I'm one of the last people on earth who still needs a headphone jack.

I'm not even sure it will be an option on a decent phone when it's time to replace.  My last few phones have been LG who put a lot of effort into their headphone jacks.
You just prefer a cord over Bluetooth?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 10, 2022, 06:57:06 pm »
I've always thought they sounded better.

And am trying to avoid another damned thing that needs charging.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 10, 2022, 07:08:27 pm »

Yeah I can’t say I am a audiophile so I couldn’t tell you if one is better than the other.  I get the not wanting to charge another thing though.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #712 on: November 10, 2022, 08:16:03 pm »
hate BT earbuds....My phone doesn't have a headphone jack, so I am kinda stuck. The last set I had, both, fell out of my ears while on a flight and went down into the abyss under the seats...I didn't even bother to try and look for them. I have a BT headphone style set now to avoid that issue...but I'd prefer just some simple corded earbuds.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #713 on: November 10, 2022, 10:33:14 pm »

Yeah I can’t say I am a audiophile so I couldn’t tell you if one is better than the other.  I get the not wanting to charge another thing though.
My experience with BT vs corded thus far is that corded sound way better. Look at a good set of audiophile headphones, like Sennheiser corded ones that plug into a good old 1/4" jack on a pre-amp, fantastic sound.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #714 on: November 11, 2022, 06:33:19 am »

My experience with BT vs corded thus far is that corded sound way better. Look at a good set of audiophile headphones, like Sennheiser corded ones that plug into a good old 1/4" jack on a pre-amp, fantastic sound.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Also the majority of BT headphones are not designed to be audiophile grade (probably because BT). I'm sure there are some but they are going to be very expensive.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #715 on: November 11, 2022, 10:04:45 am »
I hate BT earbuds too. Have a set of AirPods specifically for use on calls while in the office. They never leave my desk.

I fly a ton for work, so I invested in a set of Bose QuietComfort 35s (over-ear). They lasted me nearly a decade, and now Mrs. Hire has claimed them and gotten me a set of the new QuietComfort 45.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 11, 2022, 10:38:06 am »

Eh, not really. Those wouldn't be high resolution.

Like I said, no reason not to use iCloud.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #717 on: November 11, 2022, 12:02:14 pm »

Why not just get an iPhone SE cash and get a lower data plan? If you have a costco membership it's $500, and will for easily last 3 years. I ended up with the 13 through a corporate deal, but really beyond the camera no real advantages day-to-day. If you buy AppleCare monthly from apple it is valid for longer than the 2 years, and if you break the screen or something on year 3 they'll just ship you a refurbished one.

Another thing to consider is outside of Fredericton where Rogers has 5g the rest of the coverage in the maritimes isn't as good as with Bell/Telus. Koodo right now has 6gb for $45/month, which is more than enough. If you wait for black friday oftentimes there's like 20 gb for $50 or so. You can change your plan whenever you want if you buy a phone outright which is another advantage.

Costco iPhone SE: https://www.costco.ca/apple-iphone-se-256gb-unlocked.product.100709360.html

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #718 on: November 11, 2022, 12:22:11 pm »
Took a while but I love Bluetooth headphones/earbuds. Just needed to find good ones that connected well, fit my ears, sounded good, etc. Curse the cord on the old HD-580's sitting beside the desk

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 11, 2022, 02:54:36 pm »

Eh, not really. Those wouldn't be high resolution.

Like I said, no reason not to use iCloud.
Am I wrong to say iCloud cost money monthly?  I was actually considering getting her the Apple bundle of services for iCloud 50GB, Apple TV, Apple Music, and the game thing, all for $18.99 per month.  So maybe I can opt for less internal storage.  She will use the Apple Music a lot more, if it’s remotely close to as good as Spotify.