Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 111371 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #680 on: March 22, 2022, 04:00:32 pm »
I think I will upgrade to an Apple  13 mini. Currently have an iphone6 and the pocket on my motorcycle hydration pack can't fit any larger. 13 mini  it is. I tend to pocket my phone so don't need a tablet. Have considered a flip phone. ;D
Still on a 6,  :o
are the apps very slow ? What is the battery life like?
I got my brothers 6 plus , 1-1/2 ago when he upgraded, at that time I found the 6 slow

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #681 on: March 23, 2022, 01:27:54 am »
I think I will upgrade to an Apple  13 mini. Currently have an iphone6 and the pocket on my motorcycle hydration pack can't fit any larger. 13 mini  it is. I tend to pocket my phone so don't need a tablet. Have considered a flip phone. ;D
I got my brothers 6 plus , 1-1/2 ago when he upgraded, at that time I found the 6 slow

Hold the phone. Mine's actually a 6S. Apple gave me a free battery replacement at some point so that still behaves. It is getting slow though.

I have a pile of old 7s from my kids. I use them as GPS on the motorcycle until they get smashed.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #682 on: March 23, 2022, 07:38:40 am »

Hold the phone. Mine's actually a 6S. Apple gave me a free battery replacement at some point so that still behaves. It is getting slow though.

I have a pile of old 7s from my kids. I use them as GPS on the motorcycle until they get smashed.

My son still has my old 6 and he's not complaining. I like the size and will also have a look at the new mini to replace my X, though these things seem to last forever.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #683 on: March 23, 2022, 07:49:08 am »

My son still has my old 6 and he's not complaining. I like the size and will also have a look at the new mini to replace my X, though these things seem to last forever.

Easier to see drawings and technical manuals on larger phones  ;D

Has Anyone look at the buy back offers for phones, basic leasing the phone for 2 years ,
An iPhone 13 is $15 a month for 2 years , than you return it, compared to buying it for $33 a month

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 23, 2022, 06:03:08 pm »
Last January, my 1st gen iPhone SE stopped making/receiving calls 15 months after I changed its battery end 2020 but all "other" functions / Apps still working, weird.  :shuffle:

Doing WFH 3 days a week now, I bought as replacement a 13 Mini. Gush these things are getting expensive ≈ 1K$ but I took advantage of BrightPay 24 months without interest, only sale taxes to pay upfront.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #685 on: November 10, 2022, 07:43:24 am »
Okay people, it's been a great run of not paying for a cell phone, I finally think it's time for my wife to get a cell phone.  I recently took on a higher role at work and am clearing about $70 more per pay, so I'm allocating $120 per month for a phone and service.  I'm thinking about waiting until black friday to get anything as that's typically a decent time to get into a plan (or so I've heard). 

Now the cell phone has to be an iPhone, we are definitely Apple people and all her family are Apple users so it's just easier.  So considering I'd like her to keep the phone for at least 3 years, I think it might be best to just pony up for the new iPhone 14.  I don't think she needs anything like the Max or Pro or whatever they are called, but also not the mini.  Her iPad is 3ish years old and she has been complaining about it's performance.  So I'm hoping a phone can at least keep her tied over for a year or two until we replace that for her.  Her iPad is a 64g version and it seems to be pretty much full. 

So taking all that into account, I'm thinking an iPhone 14 Plus 256g.  Do you think that should be good enough to keep her going for 3 years?

Also, we get our internet, home phone, and cable through Rogers, but I'm hesitant to go through them for cell phone service.  It seems like the big two are the most expensive, and I'm thinking about going with one of the other players.  So my next question is, how much data?  For the most part she will be either at home with wifi or at work with wifi.  She isn't one to be out and about watching videos or doing facetime, but of course having enough to do that stuff if she wanted is also something that she should be able to do.  I'm thinking 20GB plan should be enough, what do you think?

As I said, I'm new to this, so your input and experience is appreciated.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #686 on: November 10, 2022, 08:03:20 am »
Okay people, it's been a great run of not paying for a cell phone, I finally think it's time for my wife to get a cell phone.  I recently took on a higher role at work and am clearing about $70 more per pay, so I'm allocating $120 per month for a phone and service.  I'm thinking about waiting until black friday to get anything as that's typically a decent time to get into a plan (or so I've heard). 

Now the cell phone has to be an iPhone, we are definitely Apple people and all her family are Apple users so it's just easier.  So considering I'd like her to keep the phone for at least 3 years, I think it might be best to just pony up for the new iPhone 14.  I don't think she needs anything like the Max or Pro or whatever they are called, but also not the mini.  Her iPad is 3ish years old and she has been complaining about it's performance.  So I'm hoping a phone can at least keep her tied over for a year or two until we replace that for her.  Her iPad is a 64g version and it seems to be pretty much full. 

So taking all that into account, I'm thinking an iPhone 14 Plus 256g.  Do you think that should be good enough to keep her going for 3 years?

Also, we get our internet, home phone, and cable through Rogers, but I'm hesitant to go through them for cell phone service.  It seems like the big two are the most expensive, and I'm thinking about going with one of the other players.  So my next question is, how much data?  For the most part she will be either at home with wifi or at work with wifi.  She isn't one to be out and about watching videos or doing facetime, but of course having enough to do that stuff if she wanted is also something that she should be able to do.  I'm thinking 20GB plan should be enough, what do you think?

20GB is TONS.  More than you need, IMO.  For comparison, I've got a 4GB plan - when I'm at home and at work, I"m on wifi.   4GB is JUST about enough for me to get by the rest of the time. 

My wife, who stay shome the majority of the time, gets by with 1GB of data, and doesn't seem to ever run out of it. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #687 on: November 10, 2022, 08:46:04 am »

20GB is TONS.  More than you need, IMO.  For comparison, I've got a 4GB plan - when I'm at home and at work, I"m on wifi.   4GB is JUST about enough for me to get by the rest of the time. 

My wife, who stay home the majority of the time, gets by with 1GB of data, and doesn't seem to ever run out of it.
Yeah 20GB seems to be the sweet spot for prices.  Anything more and it gets pretty pricy, and you don't save that much to go down to 4GB. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 10, 2022, 08:46:24 am »
Agreed, I get by on 6 GB.pretty easily. 20 is overkill for most users.

And I'm sure she'd be more than happy with the iPhone 13 for three years, in my experience it's usually the battery that goes before the phone becomes obsolete.

No need to stick with Rogers, though it might be worth looking into which network has the best coverage for your area, narrow down your provider choices based on that.

Redflagdeals is a good place to look for cell deals.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/tags/plan/
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 10, 2022, 08:49:18 am »
Agreed, I get by on 6 GB.pretty easily. 20 is overkill for most users.

And I'm sure she'd be more than happy with the iPhone 13 for three years, in my experience it's usually the battery that goes before the phone becomes obsolete.

No need to stick with Rogers, though it might be worth looking into which network has the best coverage for your area, narrow down your provider choices based on that.

Redflagdeals is a good place to look for cell deals.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/tags/plan/
I'm actually thinking about going through Costco for the cell phone and provider.  They seem to offer decent options from Bell, Rogers, Virgin, and Fido.  If I really wanted to go cheap I could do Eastlink, but their service and coverage seems to be rather sub par.  Any experience with Virgin or Fido?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #690 on: November 10, 2022, 08:52:32 am »
Now the cell phone has to be an iPhone, we are definitely Apple people and all her family are Apple users so it's just easier.

Serious question....Why does it matter what her family uses to make her life easier?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 10, 2022, 09:03:37 am »
Group messaging and photo and calendar sharing are probably the top 3 reasons

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #692 on: November 10, 2022, 09:14:09 am »

My wife does "bring your own device" with Telus (I give her my phone every 2 years).  $56 a month tax in, unlimited talk/text and 20GB data.  I don't recall what happens if she goes over 20GB (which is pretty much impossible for her), but I thought speed was throttled down and she wouldn't have any overage charges.  $120 less $56 gives you $64 a month to cover paying for a device.   

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #693 on: November 10, 2022, 09:18:36 am »
I'd take a 14 Pro over a 14 Plus (in fact, I did) but I prefer the smaller form factor. The primary reason to go with the Pro are the better cameras. The 14 doesn't have optical zoom either.

When the 14 Pro was announced people made fun of the Dynamic Island feature but honestly, it's awesome. I really didn't give it a second thought when I got the phone but now that I've had it for a bit I definitely appreciate the extra context it gives you of what's going on. The Pro also has the always on display but I disabled that because I found it distracting.

I went with the 128 GB model. 256 is overkill unless you insist on not having your music or photos in the cloud, or have some other specific use case that requires extra storage.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #694 on: November 10, 2022, 09:29:06 am »

My wife does "bring your own device" with Telus (I give her my phone every 2 years).  $56 a month tax in, unlimited talk/text and 20GB data.  I don't recall what happens if she goes over 20GB (which is pretty much impossible for her), but I thought speed was throttled down and she wouldn't have any overage charges.  $120 less $56 gives you $64 a month to cover paying for a device.

Similar deal here, but with Rogers....Old corporate deal that we've had grandfathered. She gets unlimited talk/text and 20GB data for $56 (tax in) and provides her own phone....My work replaces my phone every two years, so I pass down my old one to her. Couple times I've had to buy her one because it dies or whatever, but it still works out best in the long term.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 10, 2022, 09:34:46 am »
Now the cell phone has to be an iPhone, we are definitely Apple people and all her family are Apple users so it's just easier.

Serious question....Why does it matter what her family uses to make her life easier?
Facetime and messenger.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 10, 2022, 09:38:15 am »
I'd take a 14 Pro over a 14 Plus (in fact, I did) but I prefer the smaller form factor. The primary reason to go with the Pro are the better cameras. The 14 doesn't have optical zoom either.

When the 14 Pro was announced people made fun of the Dynamic Island feature but honestly, it's awesome. I really didn't give it a second thought when I got the phone but now that I've had it for a bit I definitely appreciate the extra context it gives you of what's going on. The Pro also has the always on display but I disabled that because I found it distracting.

I went with the 128 GB model. 256 is overkill unless you insist on not having your music or photos in the cloud, or have some other specific use case that requires extra storage.
She will not use or appreciate the upgraded phone.  You have to remember, she is coming from a 3+ year old basic iPad that she usually for most photo taking.  This will be a major step up in that department regardless.  The bigger screen is just so it's a little closer to replacing or supplementing her iPad use.

She doesn't use the cloud for anything.  Hence why she is almost full on her iPad at 64GB, mind you that is after 3+ years of usage.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 10, 2022, 09:40:01 am »

I pretty much have $600 down payment for any phone.  I figure if the plan costs around $65/month before taxes and fee's, I can allocate up to $40 for the phone (all over a 24 month period) before taxes, to get to my magic number of $120 per month for plan and phone.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 10, 2022, 09:41:45 am »

Similar deal here, but with Rogers....Old corporate deal that we've had grandfathered. She gets unlimited talk/text and 20GB data for $56 (tax in) and provides her own phone....My work replaces my phone every two years, so I pass down my old one to her. Couple times I've had to buy her one because it dies or whatever, but it still works out best in the long term.
I have had my work iPhone 6 for the past 2.5 years and don't really feel like I need to upgrade.  The only thing that I'd appreciate is being able to use the wireless charging in my car.  Can't pass that down to my wife, it was basically obsolete when I got it 2.5 years ago.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #699 on: November 10, 2022, 09:47:19 am »

I have had my work iPhone 6 for the past 2.5 years and don't really feel like I need to upgrade.  The only thing that I'd appreciate is being able to use the wireless charging in my car.  Can't pass that down to my wife, it was basically obsolete when I got it 2.5 years ago.

We're forced to 'upgrade' every 2 years, security stuff I guess. Not really a fan because I am not a very tech savvy person, having to re-learn a new phone every time is a pain. I stick to Android because it's what I know; currently have an S20 that's due for replacement in a few months....Mrs.Firm has an S10 that the S20 will replace.