Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 111409 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #640 on: November 04, 2020, 09:54:44 am »
Canada is #1 , the most expensive cellphone rates
https://www.blogto.com/tech/2020/11/canadas-big-3-telecoms-top-list-most-expensive-wireless-providers/
meh...you need to take those articles with a grain of salt...i'm sure our rates COULD be lower, but there's a lot of variables at play here...FWIW, i'm with Freedom mobile for wireless as their rates are pretty decent (for what we have here).

I guess you never been to EU and pick up a pay as you go card for a month , dirty cheap there
Freedom coverage is very iffy
i have been to EU...i didn't use my phone much there, but the rates weren't too bad regardless (roaming)...you get a text with the rates as soon as you "sign on" to each different roaming network.

depending on where you use your phone (and what you use) will determine if Freedom's coverage will work for you...their coverage in London is fantastic, and if i use it in a non-Freedom area, i'm using Rogers, Bell or Telus anyway, so there's always service...my phone works great at my work, Rogers and Bell were iffy in there (not sure about Telus).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #641 on: November 04, 2020, 10:59:53 am »
https://www.blogto.com/tech/2020/11/canadas-big-3-telecoms-top-list-most-expensive-wireless-providers/
meh...you need to take those articles with a grain of salt...i'm sure our rates COULD be lower, but there's a lot of variables at play here...FWIW, i'm with Freedom mobile for wireless as their rates are pretty decent (for what we have here).

I guess you never been to EU and pick up a pay as you go card for a month , dirty cheap there
i have been to EU...i didn't use my phone much there, but the rates weren't too bad regardless (roaming)...you get a text with the rates as soon as you "sign on" to each different roaming network.

depending on where you use your phone (and what you use) will determine if Freedom's coverage will work for you...their coverage in London is fantastic, and if i use it in a non-Freedom area, i'm using Rogers, Bell or Telus anyway, so there's always service...my phone works great at my work, Rogers and Bell were iffy in there (not sure about Telus).
Freedom uses Bell / Telus when there no freedom network
I have been on it for a year , my wife hates them , they are pretty crap out this way
Driving on the 401 and the phone will go into no service mode

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 04, 2020, 01:18:25 pm »

Freedom uses Bell / Telus when there no freedom network
I have been on it for a year , my wife hates them , they are pretty crap out this way
Driving on the 401 and the phone will go into no service mode
like everything, it depends how and where you use it.

for us, service around here is as good (or better) than the competition...the price is also much better.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 24, 2020, 06:19:59 pm »
Got the wife a new IPhone 11 , zero money down, $30 a month and the plan is 4 gigs of data , unlimited Canada calling and a $300 gift card from Walmart on Virgin for 2 years

I switch from Freedom to Virgin , $30 a month , 4 gig of data LTE ,  unlimited Canada calling

The Freedom rep was there when I was switching, he said there system is not great in the rural areas and not great with older phones

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #644 on: November 24, 2020, 06:25:15 pm »
Got the wife a new IPhone 11 , zero money down, $30 a month and the plan is 4 gigs of data , unlimited Canada calling and a $300 gift card from Walmart on Virgin for 2 years

I switch from Freedom to Virgin , $30 a month , 4 gig of data LTE ,  unlimited Canada calling

The Freedom rep was there when I was switching, he said there system is not great in the rural areas and not great with older phones
Looks like the coverage map is better with Virgin over Freedom. :thumbup:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 24, 2020, 06:25:35 pm »

i looked on virgin's website...i don't see a $30 plan...the plan you described is $45/month plus the iPhone 11 is $30/month for a total of $75/month...are you sure about what you got (or is there some Black Friday deals on)?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 24, 2020, 06:28:09 pm »

Railton
Virgin is Bell...Freedom is really only in the major areas (and 401 some of the 401 corridor), but they roam with other carriers...depending on the plan, voice roaming is free and data has some included (the higher the plan, the more roaming data included).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 24, 2020, 06:34:23 pm »

i looked on virgin's website...i don't see a $30 plan...the plan you described is $45/month plus the iPhone 11 is $30/month for a total of $75/month...are you sure about what you got (or is there some Black Friday deals on)?
Sorry that was $35 , $10 off, and free activation,
Yes they are deals to be had if you go and ask , it was on RedFlagDeals

Railton
Virgin use Bell towers , they are owned by BCE

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #648 on: November 25, 2020, 06:39:48 pm »

Gotta pay those extortionist contractor rates.  Especially the hvac guys!  :o  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 25, 2020, 08:09:59 pm »

Gotta pay those extortionist contractor rates.  Especially the hvac guys!  :o  ;D
Rates are about the same in Australia, but Australia still has very low rates   ::)
Must be due to the in-house people driving those F-250s with their Gators in the box  :P ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #651 on: March 09, 2021, 11:39:29 am »
Well, after being with Public Mobile for a year and a half, I'm still happy with both the service and my 3 year old Galaxy S9 Plus.  I've changed my plan within PM a couple of times, from having 4.5GB of data for $40, to 1GB of Data for $25/month - this works because over the last year and a half, PM has 'gifted' me 8GB of data which doesn't expire, which I dip into whenever I go a little over my data for the month.  If I KNOW I'm going to be using a ton of data, for example when we're travelling and don't have access to WIFI for a period, I can just bump back up to one of the more expensive plans with more data for the month. 

I used the same strategy for my wife, and it worked well.  BUT, she's been pining for a new phone.  She's been on iPhones ever since she switched over to the iPhone 4 from a Blackberry way back in 2010.   She chose Apple because she owned a TON of songs on iTunes, and would use her iTunes playlists whenever she taught Yoga classes, which was almost every day.  Now that she's working fulltime for the government, she has stopped teaching Yoga classes, and even if she was, I have converted her almost exclusively to using Spotify for her music needs - I pay $15/month for a Spotify Premium family plan.  So her reliance on iTunes is now non-existant.  To add to this, we've been having problems getting her pictures off her current iPhone 8, which she's had for 3.5 years.  We don't have Macs in the house, and her iPhone doesn't play nicely with any of the PC's we have.  More often than not, the iPhone doesn't get recognized, and we can't import the photos off her phone and onto our main household PC.  Lately, she has filled up the storage on her iPhone 8, and now it's refusing to update to the latest version of IOS, she's been unable to send or receive MMS, and has even had difficulty communicating with some of her friends who don't have iPhones (therefore don't have iMessage).  Seeing as we can't get pictures off her phone, and she doesn't want to delete them, and she doesn't use iTunes anymore, well, she mentioned to me the other day that she would be okay wanted to switch over to an Android phone.  You don't need to tell me twice.

Anyway, I signed her up with Koodo Mobile.  She doesn't use much data, so I got her a special rate plan that is available to Public Mobile customers transferring over to Koodo, with 2.5GB of data for $35/month.  She's also getting a new Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G phone for an additional $25/month.  BUT, Koodo is knocking $4.67/month off that price, and she's also getting an extra $10/month off her plan for the first 10 months.  So her total cost will be $45.33/month for the first ten months, then $55.33 for the remaining 14 months of her 24 month contract. 

About the phone:  The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G isn't a cutting edge phone - I believe the S21+ Ultra fulfils that current snack bracket.  However, I would still consider it a flagship class phone, with a 6.46" display, Snapdragon 865 processor, 5G connectivity, 4500mAH battery, 128GB storage, 2-way wireless charging (the phone can wirelessly charge other devices), etc.  It's a pretty good upgrade over my current Galaxy S9 Plus, which I still consider to be a strong phone, but at a cheaper price than something like the Galaxy S21. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:46:16 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #652 on: March 09, 2021, 11:50:07 am »
Good update, GBA.  Reading that you're still happy with Public Mobile makes me feel even better about making the switch. 

My Galaxy S8 is over three years old, but still works great. 
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 09, 2021, 11:55:57 am »
Good update, GBA.  Reading that you're still happy with Public Mobile makes me feel even better about making the switch. 

I think what I like is that I don't pay for stuff I don't need.  I had something like 10GB of data with Rogers, for $80/month.  I realize plans have since changed - I think you can get 15-20GB of data for that price nowadays.  Thing is, who the heck uses that amount of data?  I'm usually within some sort of WIFI coverage, whether it's at home, at work, or a ShawOpen hotspot (included with my home internet).  1-2GB is about all the data that I really need most months, so why on earth would I want to pay more for something that I have no use of?  Obviously, financing a new phone throws all that out the window, as you can't finance a phone with PM.  Hence why I switched my wife to Koodo.

Anyway, it takes a small burden off me.  I was paying for both my and my wife's phone out of my discretionary income.  Since my wife told me she wanted to get a new phone and go onto a postpaid plan, she's going to be taking over her own phone bill.  So, yay me?

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #654 on: March 09, 2021, 04:49:41 pm »
Well, after being with Public Mobile for a year and a half, I'm still happy with both the service and my 3 year old Galaxy S9 Plus.  I've changed my plan within PM a couple of times, from having 4.5GB of data for $40, to 1GB of Data for $25/month - this works because over the last year and a half, PM has 'gifted' me 8GB of data which doesn't expire, which I dip into whenever I go a little over my data for the month.  If I KNOW I'm going to be using a ton of data, for example when we're travelling and don't have access to WIFI for a period, I can just bump back up to one of the more expensive plans with more data for the month. 

I used the same strategy for my wife, and it worked well.  BUT, she's been pining for a new phone.  She's been on iPhones ever since she switched over to the iPhone 4 from a Blackberry way back in 2010.   She chose Apple because she owned a TON of songs on iTunes, and would use her iTunes playlists whenever she taught Yoga classes, which was almost every day.  Now that she's working fulltime for the government, she has stopped teaching Yoga classes, and even if she was, I have converted her almost exclusively to using Spotify for her music needs - I pay $15/month for a Spotify Premium family plan.  So her reliance on iTunes is now non-existant.  To add to this, we've been having problems getting her pictures off her current iPhone 8, which she's had for 3.5 years.  We don't have Macs in the house, and her iPhone doesn't play nicely with any of the PC's we have.  More often than not, the iPhone doesn't get recognized, and we can't import the photos off her phone and onto our main household PC.  Lately, she has filled up the storage on her iPhone 8, and now it's refusing to update to the latest version of IOS, she's been unable to send or receive MMS, and has even had difficulty communicating with some of her friends who don't have iPhones (therefore don't have iMessage).  Seeing as we can't get pictures off her phone, and she doesn't want to delete them, and she doesn't use iTunes anymore, well, she mentioned to me the other day that she would be okay wanted to switch over to an Android phone.  You don't need to tell me twice.

Anyway, I signed her up with Koodo Mobile.  She doesn't use much data, so I got her a special rate plan that is available to Public Mobile customers transferring over to Koodo, with 2.5GB of data for $35/month.  She's also getting a new Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G phone for an additional $25/month.  BUT, Koodo is knocking $4.67/month off that price, and she's also getting an extra $10/month off her plan for the first 10 months. So her total cost will be $45.33/month for the first ten months, then $55.33 for the remaining 14 months of her 24 month contract

About the phone:  The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G isn't a cutting edge phone - I believe the S21+ Ultra fulfils that current snack bracket.  However, I would still consider it a flagship class phone, with a 6.46" display, Snapdragon 865 processor, 5G connectivity, 4500mAH battery, 128GB storage, 2-way wireless charging (the phone can wirelessly charge other devices), etc.  It's a pretty good upgrade over my current Galaxy S9 Plus, which I still consider to be a strong phone, but at a cheaper price than something like the Galaxy S21.

That's a great rate!  Does she own the phone after 24 months or does she have to turn it in at the end of the contract?  I think the S20 FE would be the phone I get to replace my wife's aging Galaxy S5.  She's doesn't want a newer phone because she knows how to work the S5 but it's running out of internal memory as more and more apps are loaded.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 09, 2021, 05:00:34 pm »
She gets to keep it after 2 years.  I think it's a great rate, too.  I was tempted to jump on board and get a new phone, but when I thought about it, my S9+ is still meeting my needs just fine.  The S20 doesn't really do anything that my S9+ doesn't do. 

On a somewhat related note, the S20 FE has 128GB capacity (compared to my S9+'s 64GB capacity).  My Galaxy is starting to fill up, I think I've used up something like 55GB of the 64GB storage.  BUT, both the S20 FE and my S9+ have Micro SD expandable storage.  I'm ordering a pair of 128GB Micro SD cards to boost the storage on both phones by a substantial amount.  I love when phone manufacturers include expandable storage

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 09, 2021, 05:29:58 pm »
I'm still with PM also. When my iPhone SE battery was dying last November, I ordered an iPhone 6S ($180 no longer listed on https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/phone-section ) but after fixing my SE with a new battery, I returned the 6S to PM...
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #657 on: March 09, 2021, 07:55:39 pm »

I think what I like is that I don't pay for stuff I don't need.  I had something like 10GB of data with Rogers, for $80/month.  I realize plans have since changed - I think you can get 15-20GB of data for that price nowadays.  Thing is, who the heck uses that amount of data?  I'm usually within some sort of WIFI coverage, whether it's at home, at work, or a ShawOpen hotspot (included with my home internet).  1-2GB is about all the data that I really need most months, so why on earth would I want to pay more for something that I have no use of?  Obviously, financing a new phone throws all that out the window, as you can't finance a phone with PM.  Hence why I switched my wife to Koodo.

Anyway, it takes a small burden off me.  I was paying for both my and my wife's phone out of my discretionary income.  Since my wife told me she wanted to get a new phone and go onto a postpaid plan, she's going to be taking over her own phone bill.  So, yay me?

True, I don't need 6 GB worth of data every month, but with Koodo, the 2 GB plan is only $5 cheaper, and there are times where I go on trips and burn through a crap load of data.

10 GB is definitely overkill, though.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #658 on: December 20, 2021, 03:25:54 pm »
So after several years of upgrading to the next Samsung glass candy bar phone, I decided to try something different.  So far I am pleased to the point of giggling.  Yes there are drawbacks - you don't get the very highest photo-geek cameras, and battery life isn't as good as the flagship non-foldable.  But man, consuming social media, general web-browsing, watching videos, composing emails, posting on forums, viewing and editing photos are ALL next level on this thing.

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #659 on: December 20, 2021, 03:31:08 pm »
So after several years of upgrading to the next Samsung glass candy bar phone, I decided to try something different.  So far I am pleased to the point of giggling.  Yes there are drawbacks - you don't get the very highest photo-geek cameras, and battery life isn't as good as the flagship non-foldable.  But man, consuming social media, general web-browsing, watching videos, composing emails, posting on forums, viewing and editing photos are ALL next level on this thing.

Cool!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...