Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 111431 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2018, 05:18:39 pm »
Like GBA said above, I detest the whole iTunes crap that Apple makes you go through to do the simplest things.

This is patently false and has been for quite some time. You don't need iTunes at all but you can choose to use it if you want to make local backups and manually manage your iPhone with it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2018, 05:22:38 pm »
...and I do not believe that Apple maliciously slowed older phones to force upgrades - I very much believe it was an effort to avoid phones from shutting down unexpectedly during a heavy use; otherwise, why would a new battery (which now costs only $29 to replace, installed!) revert the speed back up to full?  This isn't dieselgate.

Agreed. People are acting as if the performance degradation happens in isolation but that isn't the case.

If you think this is some sort of conspiracy to force people to upgrade their phones, answer this question honestly: Which scenario provides the customer with a better user experience?

1. Maximized processor performance with the side effect of the phone randomly shutting down and causing more rapid battery degradation
2. Compromising processor performance to extend the life of the battery.

As someone who works in product development, we would choose option two every single time.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2018, 05:23:52 pm »
Apple only did the right thing and offered cheap battery replacement because they got caught and owners were justifiably pissed. They hardly deserve a parade for that.

Your habit of hyperbolizing people's opinions is getting old.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2018, 05:31:12 pm »

SNIP

Are you saying she never backed up her phone before this?  ???

And you don't need to plug it into a computer to do a full backup. I haven't done that in years. You can back it up to iCloud (free up to a certain amount of data, I pay a few bucks a month to get 200 GB of space). Then when you get a new phone you can simply pull the backup down. My wife got a new iPhone 8 the other day and that's what I did, and it only took maybe 15 minutes or so to have her new phone be exactly the same as her old phone.

I think her iCloud has been full for a while.  She's not tech saavy and doesn't care to manage her iCloud (delete old stuff).  I haven't filled up my Google Cloud storage once.  I AM more tech saavy, but not when it comes to Apple stuff.  I googled (ironic) a way to restore her phone, and the first thing that came up was iTunes, so that's the route I went.  It still took 45 min.

I'm just saying the Google way of doing things, seems to be more intuitive and user-friendly these days.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:32:52 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2018, 05:42:45 pm »
Like GBA said above, I detest the whole iTunes crap that Apple makes you go through to do the simplest things.

This is patently false and has been for quite some time. You don't need iTunes at all but you can choose to use it if you want to make local backups and manually manage your iPhone with it.

I'm glad to hear that Apple has changed this.  I think 3 years ago or so, it was a PITA to get my music onto my phone or onto my shuffle and according to the apple support forums, I HAD to use iTunes.  I did it once or twice and once Spotify came along, I need very had to bother with it again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2018, 05:44:47 pm »
Yeah, cloud services have really changed everything.

Personally I use Spotify but the combination of Apple Music and iTunes Match is pretty good as well.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2018, 06:54:19 pm »
Apple only did the right thing and offered cheap battery replacement because they got caught and owners were justifiably pissed. They hardly deserve a parade for that.

Bite me.  :rofl2:

I know the true believers will never believe that their beloved Apple would ever do anything underhanded, but the fact that they said NOTHING to customers about the update totally crapifying the performance of their phones at the time they did it, then only came up with an excuse claiming a benevolent intention  AFTER they got caught, speaks volumes.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2018, 07:00:00 pm »

I know the true believers will never believe that their beloved Apple would ever do anything underhanded, but the fact that they said NOTHING to customers about the update totally crapifying the performance of their phones at the time they did it, then only came up with an excuse claiming a benevolent intention  AFTER they got caught, speaks volumes.

Yep.  And they only offered the battery sale after is started becoming a sh*t show.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2018, 07:01:05 pm »
It cost $1.46 a month to get 50 gigs of back up on the cloud with Apple

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2018, 07:06:41 pm »

Nothing for free?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2018, 07:11:12 pm »
I've had an iPhone 4, 5S, and now have a 6S. I'd consider switching phones for my next one, except that most of the apps I use for work are iOS only.

My 6S is over two years old now: a little laggy sometimes, and battery life isn't great, but the phone is still fine. I might do a cheap DIY battery replacement on it in the spring, then see how it goes.

Apple is offering $35CAD (installed) battery replacements on iPhones as far back as the 6.  Just take it to an Apple Store and they will do it up for you.  This is in response to the bad press they received for slowing down their phones to 'save the battery'. 

EDIT:  You can't do it yet.  Keep watching the Apple.com/ca website to see details on how to get your battery replaced.

https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone-battery-and-performance/

We're going to do it to my wife's old iPhone 6.  Might as well, then it will work well as a spare phone.  He iPhone 6 battery is pooched, btw.  Only lasts a couple of hours now.

Thanks for that. Hadn’t heard the news. I think a DIY battery was going to be around the same price, so it’s a complete no-brainer to let Apple do it.

I’ll be curious to see how much better the new battery is. Current one is a bit over 2 years old and not terrible: for sure lasts way more than a couple of hours, but I can’t always get through the day on a full charge. Depends on usage, of course: even when it was new there were days I had to recharge part way through.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2018, 07:18:45 pm »

Nothing for free?
I think you get 5 or  10 for free

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2018, 08:15:27 pm »

Yep.  And they only offered the battery sale after is started becoming a sh*t show.

Exactly.  Let's throw them a bone with the discounted battery and maybe they will forget that we facked them over.  It will be interesting to see what comes of the class action law suits.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2018, 08:32:11 pm »

SNIP

Are you saying she never backed up her phone before this?  ???

And you don't need to plug it into a computer to do a full backup. I haven't done that in years. You can back it up to iCloud (free up to a certain amount of data, I pay a few bucks a month to get 200 GB of space). Then when you get a new phone you can simply pull the backup down. My wife got a new iPhone 8 the other day and that's what I did, and it only took maybe 15 minutes or so to have her new phone be exactly the same as her old phone.

I think her iCloud has been full for a while.  She's not tech saavy and doesn't care to manage her iCloud (delete old stuff).  I haven't filled up my Google Cloud storage once.  I AM more tech saavy, but not when it comes to Apple stuff.  I googled (ironic) a way to restore her phone, and the first thing that came up was iTunes, so that's the route I went.  It still took 45 min.

I'm just saying the Google way of doing things, seems to be more intuitive and user-friendly these days.

I would agree with that 100%.  I'm no slappy either way, but like you, I certainly find Android way more user friendly and intuitive than iOS.  My wife has an iPhone7 for her work and I just cringe every time she wants me to put songs on it for when she works out in her gym at work.  It's painful. 

As far as Android is concerned, you have multiple manufacturers making Android phones, so some will be better than others.  To date, my previous Nexus 6P has been the best phone that I've owned.  My current Galaxy S8+ is pretty decent, but I still think my 6P was better.  GBA, you'll have to let me know what your impressions are of your new Pixel 2 once you've had it for a little bit. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2018, 08:33:22 pm »
^^Yea, I'm digging my S8.  And IQ is bonkers over her new Note8.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2018, 10:08:08 am »
As far as Android is concerned, you have multiple manufacturers making Android phones, so some will be better than others.  To date, my previous Nexus 6P has been the best phone that I've owned.  My current Galaxy S8+ is pretty decent, but I still think my 6P was better.  GBA, you'll have to let me know what your impressions are of your new Pixel 2 once you've had it for a little bit.

I've played around with it at home already.  I'm just not taking it out of the house until I have a case.  If you loved the Nexus 6P, you'll love the Pixel 2 XL.  The biggest reason to love the Nexus was the stock android experience, and that remains the biggest reason to love the Pixel.  From a hardware point of view, they really aren't that different, but the Pixel 2 XL seems to be an improvement on every front.  It's IP67 dust/water resistant (30min submerged at 1M), curved front glass (not as much as the Samsung S8, but still looks/feels nice), quality materials and industrial design.  It has squeezable sides that you can use to call up Google Assistant (in addition to saying 'Ok Google'). 

UNLIKE the S8 and other flagships, it DOES NOT have wireless charging.  I've never used wireless charging, so I can't say if I miss it or not, however, I definitely know I would miss those front facing speakers as well as Stock Android.  I'm sorry, but Bixby has nothing on Google Assistant.

Oh, and the camera?  OMG.  Reviewers are saying its the best camera in a phone, and from the pictures I've taken, I agree.  For one, it's Optically Image Stabilized.  You can see the camera lense moving around within its housing.  Second, the software they use to process photos is unbelievable.  You have to try the Portrait Mode.  It keeps the subject in focus, and blurs the background.  The results are stunning. 

Ultimately, it comes down to wants.  Do you want wireless charging and a beautiful screen?  Go with the S8 or Note 8.  Prefer the Stock Android experience over everything else?  Pixel is the way to go.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2018, 10:46:48 am »

I've played around with it at home already.  I'm just not taking it out of the house until I have a case.  If you loved the Nexus 6P, you'll love the Pixel 2 XL.  The biggest reason to love the Nexus was the stock android experience, and that remains the biggest reason to love the Pixel.  From a hardware point of view, they really aren't that different, but the Pixel 2 XL seems to be an improvement on every front.  It's IP67 dust/water resistant (30min submerged at 1M), curved front glass (not as much as the Samsung S8, but still looks/feels nice), quality materials and industrial design.  It has squeezable sides that you can use to call up Google Assistant (in addition to saying 'Ok Google'). 

UNLIKE the S8 and other flagships, it DOES NOT have wireless charging.  I've never used wireless charging, so I can't say if I miss it or not, however, I definitely know I would miss those front facing speakers as well as Stock Android.  I'm sorry, but Bixby has nothing on Google Assistant.

Oh, and the camera?  OMG.  Reviewers are saying its the best camera in a phone, and from the pictures I've taken, I agree.  For one, it's Optically Image Stabilized.  You can see the camera lense moving around within its housing.  Second, the software they use to process photos is unbelievable.  You have to try the Portrait Mode.  It keeps the subject in focus, and blurs the background.  The results are stunning. 

Ultimately, it comes down to wants.  Do you want wireless charging and a beautiful screen?  Go with the S8 or Note 8.  Prefer the Stock Android experience over everything else?  Pixel is the way to go.

Why would you use it without a case  ???

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2018, 10:48:39 am »

Why would you use it without a case  ???

I'm not.  I'm using my Nexus 6P until my case arrives on Friday.  But when I'm sitting on the safety of my couch at home, I tool around on my Pixel.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2018, 10:52:55 am »
They always offered a way to replace a battery, but it was a relative expense.  It's Apple's way - hell, the wife got a 13" Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 1TB SSD (yeah, ridiculous, I know).  It came to over $3,000 (but free shipping!).

Wifey wanted a second charger so she wouldn't have to always pack up the one at home and then take one to work.  Apple wanted $89.00 for a new charger.  We got it, and for the convenience, it was worth it.
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MNF72LL/A/61w-usb%E2%80%91c-power-adapter?fnode=d03ae0b312adde4c6521e78bf1302e7ddd990ac9dcf4866a41a13c82a7d7b66e9c369b9a35a01713e34c6dde2c46459043c2e2697f8478af67a2482ed6debaa7b6b0a75388ce93637b06bd4458ef5e48e0153e3876d3ca6858c1ecde34a2254a

...but then she opened the box to the charger and realized there was no USB-C male-male cable in the box.  Apple had the nerve to sell the charging cube thing without the necessary cable to connect it to the :censor: laptop!!  So, unless we buy a cable from Apple, which costs $25.00:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MLL82AM/A/usb-c-charge-cable-2m?fnode=bf4dff1268af3e79cfd4db2bb458491f3ba0bb51f777a783e453eaec4e03d83babe7954c322131652fb3316b0d8dba57f13830d70a42388f2d310042c353f456c3f091533ccc4109df65e4deacfbf835cb67046048bb53c182053fcb3d5bf855

Of course, now that I re-read the website, it says clearly:
The 61W USB-C Power Adapter offers fast, efficient charging at home, in the office or on the go. While this power adapter is compatible with any USB-C–enabled device, Apple recommends pairing it with your 13-inch MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports for optimal charging performance. USB-C Charge Cable sold separately.
:censor: ridiculous.

Any way, just ordered the cable - $28.25 taxes in and free shipping ;D

Back to the iPhone battery issue...have you ever changed a battery in an iPhone? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e743HCkxfks

I'd say that laborious process, along with the re-sealing for water-resistance, is worth the $79.  $35 seems like a faking bargain for an OEM battery replacement that's SO involved.

...and yes, many Android phones have user-replaceable batteries that can be swapped out on the fly.  None of them are as slim or feel as well-built as the iPhone.  I had a Galaxy S5 for that very reason, and it was honestly a POS in terms of hardware compared to the iPhone 7.  The S6 went to non-replaceable batteries any way.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2018, 10:56:55 am »
They always offered a way to replace a battery, but it was a relative expense.  It's Apple's way - hell, the wife got a 13" Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 1TB SSD (yeah, ridiculous, I know).  It came to over $3,000 (but free shipping!).

Wifey wanted a second charger so she wouldn't have to always pack up the one at home and then take one to work.  Apple wanted $89.00 for a new charger.  We got it, and for the convenience, it was worth it.
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MNF72LL/A/61w-usb%E2%80%91c-power-adapter?fnode=d03ae0b312adde4c6521e78bf1302e7ddd990ac9dcf4866a41a13c82a7d7b66e9c369b9a35a01713e34c6dde2c46459043c2e2697f8478af67a2482ed6debaa7b6b0a75388ce93637b06bd4458ef5e48e0153e3876d3ca6858c1ecde34a2254a

...but then she opened the box to the charger and realized there was no USB-C male-male cable in the box.  Apple had the nerve to sell the charging cube thing without the necessary cable to connect it to the :censor: laptop!!  So, unless we buy a cable from Apple, which costs $25.00:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MLL82AM/A/usb-c-charge-cable-2m?fnode=bf4dff1268af3e79cfd4db2bb458491f3ba0bb51f777a783e453eaec4e03d83babe7954c322131652fb3316b0d8dba57f13830d70a42388f2d310042c353f456c3f091533ccc4109df65e4deacfbf835cb67046048bb53c182053fcb3d5bf855

Of course, now that I re-read the website, it says clearly:
The 61W USB-C Power Adapter offers fast, efficient charging at home, in the office or on the go. While this power adapter is compatible with any USB-C–enabled device, Apple recommends pairing it with your 13-inch MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports for optimal charging performance. USB-C Charge Cable sold separately.
:censor: ridiculous.

Any way, just ordered the cable - $28.25 taxes in and free shipping ;D

Back to the iPhone battery issue...have you ever changed a battery in an iPhone? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e743HCkxfks

I'd say that laborious process, along with the re-sealing for water-resistance, is worth the $79.  $35 seems like a faking bargain for an OEM battery replacement that's SO involved.

...and yes, many Android phones have user-replaceable batteries that can be swapped out on the fly.  None of them are as slim or feel as well-built as the iPhone.  I had a Galaxy S5 for that very reason, and it was honestly a POS in terms of hardware compared to the iPhone 7.  The S6 went to non-replaceable batteries any way.

Most of the flagship phones have moved to non-replaceable batteries.  Part of this is due to industrial design (uni-body design with metal/glass backs), wireless charging, and I'm sure planned obsolescence (how many people will bother to replace their batteries when they die..? they'll just get a new phone).