Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 111389 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2018, 04:30:16 pm »
Battery is definitely the biggest complaint of my two buddy's iPhone 7s.  I left iPhone's quite some time ago and haven't looked back.  I just prefer Android OS over iOS and don't miss iTunes one single bit. 

Having said that, I've recently noticed a fairly significant decrease in battery life on my S8+, and it's not quite a year old yet.  I never noticed that on my previous Nexus 6.  Might go back to a Google phone next time around.
With Android, you can control what apps using the battery and when to put them asleep.

Tweaking that (which you couldn't do as precisely before) either has your phone using more battery (no tweaks) or less battery (tweaking) than before.

This is especially true the more apps you have.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2018, 04:35:48 pm »
Battery is definitely the biggest complaint of my two buddy's iPhone 7s.  I left iPhone's quite some time ago and haven't looked back.  I just prefer Android OS over iOS and don't miss iTunes one single bit. 

Having said that, I've recently noticed a fairly significant decrease in battery life on my S8+, and it's not quite a year old yet.  I never noticed that on my previous Nexus 6.  Might go back to a Google phone next time around.
With Android, you can control what apps using the battery and when to put them asleep.

Tweaking that (which you couldn't do as precisely before) either has your phone using more battery (no tweaks) or less battery (tweaking) than before.

This is especially true the more apps you have.

Yep, I do that quite regularly as Android gives you a message of what apps you should put to sleep.  I have very little apps on my phone, maybe 10 at the most, so my phone is pretty simple.  It's been the last month or so that battery life has decreased. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2018, 05:05:00 pm »
Grandson got the new Google phone , it looks pretty nice

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2018, 05:56:05 pm »
This was way back in Gingerbread. Things are probably a lot better now but as the saying goes, fool me once...

Apple would really have to screw up for me to leave iPhone.

To each their own...
I honestly hear more OS gripes with my Apple friends than my Android friends.

WAY more.  Not to mention Apple deliberately facked the owners of older phones to get them to buy new ones.  That is, unless, you happen to believe they deliberately crapified the performance of an $800 phone in order to extend the life of a $50 battery.   ::) In which case I have a lovely bridge I'd like to sell you.  ;D

Two of my closest friends are huge Apple guys and I hear them curse about their iPhones all the time.  Yet they would never get anything else.  They kinda remind me of some german car buyers, in that even though the product doesn't always work right they still think it's superior.   ;D

Yup.  Exactly this.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2018, 10:26:32 am »
This was way back in Gingerbread. Things are probably a lot better now but as the saying goes, fool me once...

To each their own...

WAY more.  Not to mention Apple deliberately facked the owners of older phones to get them to buy new ones.  That is, unless, you happen to believe they deliberately crapified the performance of an $800 phone in order to extend the life of a $50 battery.   ::) In which case I have a lovely bridge I'd like to sell you.  ;D

Two of my closest friends are huge Apple guys and I hear them curse about their iPhones all the time.  Yet they would never get anything else.  They kinda remind me of some german car buyers, in that even though the product doesn't always work right they still think it's superior.   ;D

My only gripe about my iPhone 7 is that the battery life isn't great (and never has been). But I hear the same complaint from Android users too.

Quite frankly I really don't care if some aspects of Android devices are superior though. Having Macs at work and at home, an iPhone, an iPad, and two Apple TVs, I love how seamlessly everything is integrated. But I'm a fanboy – I've been using Macs for over 30 years now and am on my fifth iPhone.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2018, 03:47:50 pm »

To each their own...

My only gripe about my iPhone 7 is that the battery life isn't great (and never has been). But I hear the same complaint from Android users too.

Quite frankly I really don't care if some aspects of Android devices are superior though. Having Macs at work and at home, an iPhone, an iPad, and two Apple TVs, I love how seamlessly everything is integrated. But I'm a fanboy – I've been using Macs for over 30 years now and am on my fifth iPhone.

My spouse and I got new phones this week.  Her, an iPhone 8, and myself, a Google Pixel 2 XL.  She upgraded from an iPhone 6 (running latest IOS), and I upgraded from a Nexus 6P (running Android 8.1.0).

We transferred all our stuff from old phones to new phones.  With the Pixel, all I had to do was connect my old Nexus to my new Pixel with the USB-C cable, and press a couple of onscreen buttons during initial setup.  The applet transferred everything from my old phone to my new phone, including contacts, saved messages, call history, photos, videos, media (music/movies), and ALL the apps. 1 Minute later, and it was done.  It even rearranged my homescreen to be identical to my old phone.  As in, my apps were all in the same places, and I had all the same widgets. 

My spouse, however, was prompted to put her old phone next to her new phone, in order to transfer.  Fair enough.  But all it transferred was her contact list, and message history.  Nothing else transferred.  She uses her phone for work (music and playlists), so it was fairly important to have everything moved over, including pictures.  So I had to google how to do it.  First step, install iTunes on her laptop.  2nd Step, plug in her old phone and create a backup.  This took 10 minutes.  Next, plug in her new phone, and update to the latest version of IOS.  This took another 10 minutes. 3rd Step:  FINALLY, we could restore her old phone's backup to the new phone.  This took another 10 minutes.  All told, it took us about 45 minutes to figure out and actually transfer her old phone into her new phone.  And even then, it seems to have missed all of her playlists.  It has synced the music she had on her old phone, but not the all important playlists (she has about 100 of them). 

I couldn't believe how cumbersome and involved the iPhone transfer process was, especially in comparison to Google's experience.  Here I was thinking Apple was the company of accessibility and ease, and it was waaay more difficult to do a simple phone transfer. 

What's more, why do you STILL need to plug your phone into a computer to do a full backup?  I can backup my Nexus to Google's Cloud service, perform a factory reset, and re-download everything including my home screen settings, apps, pictures, music, contacts, etc.  All wirelessly.  The Pixel will be capable of the same thing (I haven't started using it yet as I'm still waiting for my case to ship from Amazon).  All this plugging in of iPhones to computers is archaic and outdated.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:52:17 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2018, 03:58:32 pm »
This new 7 model with the solid home button I find is flakey - and requires a hard boot at times. I am feeling its not going to last 2 years.
Railton
I have the iPhone 7.  I was outside this past weekend for well over an hour in -20'C to -30'C ish.  Fricken freezing, but my phone worked the whole time.

As for battery life, I find it remarkable after my Samsung Galaxy S5 - we played HOURS of Jackbox TV through a Nintendo Switch and the battery barely moved.  No question in my mind that the battery in the iPhone 7 is wonderful.  The only thing that really seems to drain it is GPS, but even that was far worse in my old Samsung.

If there are any real complaints about the iPhone, it's not the battery life.

...and I do not believe that Apple maliciously slowed older phones to force upgrades - I very much believe it was an effort to avoid phones from shutting down unexpectedly during a heavy use; otherwise, why would a new battery (which now costs only $29 to replace, installed!) revert the speed back up to full?  This isn't dieselgate.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2018, 03:59:46 pm »
I've had an iPhone 4, 5S, and now have a 6S. I'd consider switching phones for my next one, except that most of the apps I use for work are iOS only.

My 6S is over two years old now: a little laggy sometimes, and battery life isn't great, but the phone is still fine. I might do a cheap DIY battery replacement on it in the spring, then see how it goes.

Apple is offering $35CAD (installed) battery replacements on iPhones as far back as the 6.  Just take it to an Apple Store and they will do it up for you.  This is in response to the bad press they received for slowing down their phones to 'save the battery'. 

EDIT:  You can't do it yet.  Keep watching the Apple.com/ca website to see details on how to get your battery replaced.

https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone-battery-and-performance/

We're going to do it to my wife's old iPhone 6.  Might as well, then it will work well as a spare phone.  He iPhone 6 battery is pooched, btw.  Only lasts a couple of hours now.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:05:09 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2018, 04:02:51 pm »
He iPhone 6 battery is pooched, btw.  Only lasts a couple of hours now.
How old is the phone?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2018, 04:07:08 pm »
He iPhone 6 battery is pooched, btw.  Only lasts a couple of hours now.
How old is the phone?

She's had it for 3 years now.  It was great for 2 years and 10 months, then when the latest IOS dropped, she noticed a BIG drop in performance, and then massive battery degradation in the last month or so.  We upgraded her to an iPhone 8 literally the day before they announced this battery replacement program.  Still, for $35 why wouldn't we change out the battery for a new one and restore some of that performance and battery life.  Then we have a spare phone that we can either keep, give to one of the kids, or sell.   Or she can use it as a iPod for her work playlists.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2018, 04:09:11 pm »
Doh. I have an iPhone 5 and 5S that could use new batteries. Lol. They randomly shut off because of the battery especially when it's cold out and these phones are not throttled if battery health is poor, so honestly I'd prefer a slowdown in performance than random shutoffs.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »
FWIW, my Nexus 6P is guilty of a shoddy battery.  The phone is less than 2 years old, and battery life is down to less than a couple of hours, and it will shut off randomly at 45% sometimes, especially when cold.  This is a known issue with these phones.  Google and Huawei have even been sued over it.  However, I know of no recourse that I can take as a consumer, other than to pay a 3rd party $70 to replace the battery in my Nexus.

I will give Apple credit where credit is due, for taking responsibility, and for offering a cheap battery replacement to existing iPhone users.  That is actually quite good customer service.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2018, 04:31:35 pm »
Apple only did the right thing and offered cheap battery replacement because they got caught and owners were justifiably pissed. They hardly deserve a parade for that.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2018, 04:37:13 pm »
Having owned two Android phones, and being on my second iPhone, I'm no fanboy.  Both ecosystems offer some great phones.  In my experience so far, I've loved the versatility and customization that Android offers, and on the other hand I love the fact that the iPhone has always just worked for me.  Towards the end of the phone's life, the Android ones just died one day and wouldn't turn on (both were HTC phones).  Like GBA said above, I detest the whole iTunes crap that Apple makes you go through to do the simplest things.

Currently, I own the iPhone 6S and my wife has the Pixel.  I foresee me being on iPhone for a long while since my wife is anti-Apple, and I think there are advantages to having both types of devices in the same house. 

Slightly off-topic:  I got her a Google Home for Christmas, and it plays remarkably well with the Pixel (and with my iPhone for that matter).  Setup was about 30 seconds.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2018, 04:43:36 pm »
She's had it for 3 years now.  It was great for 2 years and 10 months,
That's pretty spectacular.  My S5's battery degraded fairly heavily around 15 months.  I bought a new OEM battery off eBay that was marginally better until it, too, degraded after the next 9-10 months until I was given the iPhone.

We have a hilarious inside joke now between my close group of guys following our 2014 ski trip to Whistler.  One buddy, Joel, had a Blackberry Storm.  We were at the top of the hill before doing the final run of the day.  Joel's battery died on his phone, and so he decided that, out of concern that we get "split up" (at Blackcomb - all runs converge into the village :rofl2: ),

...that he needed to charge his phone quickly.  He persistently said, "I NEED A BOOST!" and then ran off into the chalet to plug in his phone.  Hilariously, we lost him the second he went inside.  10 mins later, he shows up outside (while we were sitting inside nice and toasty) and he said, "yup, after 5 mins my battery was charged up to 100%, so we're good to go."  Rather than question his logic (because we wanted to :censor: ski and get into the hot tubs!), we skied down, never losing each other.  When we got to the bottom, we asked him what time it was.  He couldn't tell us because his battery died again.

Ever since, the word "boost" has become nothing other than a means by which to make fun of Joel.  I'm thankful for that :)

...but yes, cellphone batteries degrade over time.  At $35, what's another $17.50/year to extend the life of your phone?  Fak, I'd get it done annually if it meant that I always had "as-new" battery life.  No phone is immune from the degrading battery.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:49:21 pm by No-san »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2018, 04:45:35 pm »
Having owned two Android phones, and being on my second iPhone, I'm no fanboy.  Both ecosystems offer some great phones.  In my experience so far, I've loved the versatility and customization that Android offers, and on the other hand I love the fact that the iPhone has always just worked for me.  Towards the end of the phone's life, the Android ones just died one day and wouldn't turn on (both were HTC phones).  Like GBA said above, I detest the whole iTunes crap that Apple makes you go through to do the simplest things.

Currently, I own the iPhone 6S and my wife has the Pixel.  I foresee me being on iPhone for a long while since my wife is anti-Apple, and I think there are advantages to having both types of devices in the same house. 

Slightly off-topic:  I got her a Google Home for Christmas, and it plays remarkably well with the Pixel (and with my iPhone for that matter).  Setup was about 30 seconds.

I think Android is ahead of the curve now, with respect to ease of use and setup.  At least, stock Android is, anyway.  I don't know about any of Samsung's iteration of Android.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2018, 04:47:07 pm »
Apple only did the right thing and offered cheap battery replacement because they got caught and owners were justifiably pissed. They hardly deserve a parade for that.

And a parade I did not give.  However, by acknowledging the problem and supplying an affordable fix, they're doing far, far more than Google has done for my Nexus' battery issues.  And my Nexus battery only lasted half as long as my spouse's iPhone6 battery.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not apple fan (having only ever owned Androids), BUT, I will say that in this instance, Apple is doing a better job of acknowledging their customer's concerns than Google is.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:49:16 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2018, 04:47:53 pm »
@GBA.   The changing an Ipad is even worse.

You plug in the Ipad to a PC and do a full backup....ok that works in 10 minutes.
You plug in the new Ipad and do a restore.   

Some time later it appears to have finished  like over 1/2 hour.   Trouble is that any apps on the old Ipad that no longer exist in the app store are gone. with no warning, no messages, just gone.   There seems to be no way to copy the app from the old Ipad.  Most annoying.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2018, 05:16:01 pm »

To each their own...

My spouse and I got new phones this week.  Her, an iPhone 8, and myself, a Google Pixel 2 XL.  She upgraded from an iPhone 6 (running latest IOS), and I upgraded from a Nexus 6P (running Android 8.1.0).

We transferred all our stuff from old phones to new phones.  With the Pixel, all I had to do was connect my old Nexus to my new Pixel with the USB-C cable, and press a couple of onscreen buttons during initial setup.  The applet transferred everything from my old phone to my new phone, including contacts, saved messages, call history, photos, videos, media (music/movies), and ALL the apps. 1 Minute later, and it was done.  It even rearranged my homescreen to be identical to my old phone.  As in, my apps were all in the same places, and I had all the same widgets. 

My spouse, however, was prompted to put her old phone next to her new phone, in order to transfer.  Fair enough.  But all it transferred was her contact list, and message history.  Nothing else transferred.  She uses her phone for work (music and playlists), so it was fairly important to have everything moved over, including pictures.  So I had to google how to do it.  First step, install iTunes on her laptop.  2nd Step, plug in her old phone and create a backup.  This took 10 minutes.  Next, plug in her new phone, and update to the latest version of IOS.  This took another 10 minutes. 3rd Step:  FINALLY, we could restore her old phone's backup to the new phone.  This took another 10 minutes.  All told, it took us about 45 minutes to figure out and actually transfer her old phone into her new phone.  And even then, it seems to have missed all of her playlists.  It has synced the music she had on her old phone, but not the all important playlists (she has about 100 of them). 

I couldn't believe how cumbersome and involved the iPhone transfer process was, especially in comparison to Google's experience.  Here I was thinking Apple was the company of accessibility and ease, and it was waaay more difficult to do a simple phone transfer. 

What's more, why do you STILL need to plug your phone into a computer to do a full backup?  I can backup my Nexus to Google's Cloud service, perform a factory reset, and re-download everything including my home screen settings, apps, pictures, music, contacts, etc.  All wirelessly.  The Pixel will be capable of the same thing (I haven't started using it yet as I'm still waiting for my case to ship from Amazon).  All this plugging in of iPhones to computers is archaic and outdated.

Are you saying she never backed up her phone before this?  ???

And you don't need to plug it into a computer to do a full backup. I haven't done that in years. You can back it up to iCloud (free up to a certain amount of data, I pay a few bucks a month to get 200 GB of space). Then when you get a new phone you can simply pull the backup down. My wife got a new iPhone 8 the other day and that's what I did, and it only took maybe 15 minutes or so to have her new phone be exactly the same as her old phone.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:22:59 pm by OliverD »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2018, 05:17:06 pm »

To each their own...

Are you saying she never backed up her phone?  ???

And you don't need to plug it into a computer to do a full backup. I haven't done that in years. You can back it up to iCloud (free up to a certain amount of data, I pay a few bucks a month to get 200 GB of space). Then when you get a new phone you can simply pull the backup down. My wife got a new iPhone 8 the other day and that's what I did, and it only took maybe 15 minutes or so to have her new phone be exactly the same as her old phone.
^^ This.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?