Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 111364 times)

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2017, 04:45:09 pm »
You De Man Uncle RRocket. ;D ;D ;D :cheers: :cheers:

I will put you in my will. ;)

I have asked many many people over the past eighteen months and they failed to help me.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:48:28 pm by duck »

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2017, 05:25:30 am »
I ordered the iPhone X 256 GB from Freedom Mobile today.  Zero down. Deposit  $110.   My monthly bill will be $50 Tab +  $60 10 GB Data,  Unlimited talk to Canada and the U.S. Delivery date December 8.

My current plan will be over in January.  I will have to pay my current carrier Virgin Mobile $70.

Earlier today I called Virgin Mobile and asked them if they will match Freedom.  They said no.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:27:25 am by duck »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2017, 10:50:51 pm »
My new job gave me an iPhone 7.  I have no complaints per se about the hardware, but I dislike iOS compared to Android - far less flexible and intuitive.  I honestly have no idea how Apple became so popular.

I am in the same camp as you, although I think that from an industrial design perspective Android flagships are far superior to iPhones (non X).

As for how Apple became popular? A few reasons. Early on Android wasn't very good. The original iPhone was really well done for the time - competing Android phones were simply not, and the OEMs weren't exactly super well known (look up the HTC Dream, for example...). Samsung did not launch the Galaxy lineup until 2009 IIRC.

It took until Android 4.4 or so for the ecosystem to really solidify, I think.

The second reason is that Apple is incredibly good at marketing and has created a cult-effect around their products. The iPod was already a hit, so they had momentum behind them already. The iPhone has become a "standard fare luxury item", the "default phone" in essence, that everyone wants. Have you ever noticed how most iPhone cases proudly have a cutout for the Apple logo?

I don't really see myself ever going back to iOS (I had a 3GS briefly, it was pretty decent for the time) for my personal phone but they do hand them out for work. Whatever. Then again I am a guy who is sitting at his kitchen island in his underwear with no less than three Lenovo Thinkpads on the countertop so I am definitely not the target market.

I miss my Motorola RAZR the most.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2017, 02:07:52 pm »
Since I started with a MacBook, and then an iPad, when it came to replace my Android phone (Moto G) with an iPhone SE, it's just easier to have everything on the same platform, at least for me...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2017, 02:29:54 pm »
To each their own I guess. Android is a neat operating system and the customization you can do with it is neat, but having the phone constantly crash was a deal breaker for me. I ran kicking and screaming back to a phone that just works.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »
To each their own I guess. Android is a neat operating system and the customization you can do with it is neat, but having the phone constantly crash was a deal breaker for me. I ran kicking and screaming back to a phone that just works.
We've been on Android since the get go.

Never any crashes...about as stable as any OS can possible be for us.

I'm on S8 now, IQ on Note 8.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2017, 02:35:18 pm »
This was way back in Gingerbread. Things are probably a lot better now but as the saying goes, fool me once...

Apple would really have to screw up for me to leave iPhone.

To each their own...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2017, 02:39:34 pm »
This was way back in Gingerbread. Things are probably a lot better now but as the saying goes, fool me once...

To each their own...
I honestly hear more OS gripes with my Apple friends than my Android friends.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2018, 03:56:21 am »
After four months of investigations I finally decided on the iPhone 8 plus 256 GB from Freedom Mobile.  Plan is $60 a month and includes 10 GB of data,  unlimited calls to Canada and U.S.A.  Unlimited global texting. $40 a month Tab.

I am switching from being a Virgin.....Bell customer to Shaw Communications.   ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:39 am »
After four months of investigations I finally decided on the iPhone 8 plus 256 GB from Freedom Mobile.  Plan is $60 a month and includes 10 GB of data,  unlimited calls to Canada and U.S.A.  Unlimited global texting. $40 a month Tab.

I am switching from being a Virgin.....Bell customer to Shaw Communications.   ;D

I guess you are never in rural areas

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2018, 09:09:46 am »

To each their own...

WAY more.  Not to mention Apple deliberately facked the owners of older phones to get them to buy new ones.  That is, unless, you happen to believe they deliberately crapified the performance of an $800 phone in order to extend the life of a $50 battery.   ::) In which case I have a lovely bridge I'd like to sell you.  ;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2018, 10:24:03 am »

To each their own...

WAY more.  Not to mention Apple deliberately facked the owners of older phones to get them to buy new ones.  That is, unless, you happen to believe they deliberately crapified the performance of an $800 phone in order to extend the life of a $50 battery.   ::) In which case I have a lovely bridge I'd like to sell you.  ;D

Two of my closest friends are huge Apple guys and I hear them curse about their iPhones all the time.  Yet they would never get anything else.  They kinda remind me of some german car buyers, in that even though the product doesn't always work right they still think it's superior.   ;D
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2018, 10:37:02 am »

To each their own...

Two of my closest friends are huge Apple guys and I hear them curse about their iPhones all the time.  Yet they would never get anything else.  They kinda remind me of some german car buyers, in that even though the product doesn't always work right they still think it's superior.   ;D

FAP: Facking Apple Phones
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2018, 11:58:57 am »

To each their own...

FAP: Facking Apple Phones

I've had two iPhones (the very first model and a 6) and they've been trouble free for me.  That doesn't mean I would switch to an Android someday.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2018, 02:46:13 pm »
We’ve had five or six iPhones of various ilks over the years, the only issue was my daughter’s iPhone 6 that started this thing where it would delete all of her photos and then they’d reappear a day later for no apparent reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2018, 03:36:35 pm »
I've had an iPhone 4, 5S, and now have a 6S. I'd consider switching phones for my next one, except that most of the apps I use for work are iOS only.

My 6S is over two years old now: a little laggy sometimes, and battery life isn't great, but the phone is still fine. I might do a cheap DIY battery replacement on it in the spring, then see how it goes.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2018, 03:59:09 pm »
We have iPhone 6 , no problems yet, will probably get the new battery
I think for my next phone I just get a cheap unlocked phone , no way I am going to spend another $1,000 on a phone again , just no worth it to me

One thing we hate is how with a new upgrade they change the appearance and how to use some apps

Wish they would give you option of just leaving the appearance the same

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2018, 04:02:37 pm »
I've had a few iterations of iphone now. Currently I have a 7.
The previous unit I had which was a 6 would leave me stranded in cold Wx. It would only work for a minute or so in freezing temps and then completly black out, ven with 75% battery remaining. I guess a battery issue.
This new 7 model with the solid home button I find is flakey - and requires a hard boot at times. I am feeling its not going to last 2 years.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2018, 04:11:03 pm »
Yeah, it's been cold here and my 6S isn't happy. Shuts down even at >50% battery life if it's been in an outside pocket in my jacket. But if I keep it warmish in an inside pocket, it works well enough when I need it.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2018, 04:14:30 pm »
Battery is definitely the biggest complaint of my two buddy's iPhone 7s.  I left iPhone's quite some time ago and haven't looked back.  I just prefer Android OS over iOS and don't miss iTunes one single bit. 

Having said that, I've recently noticed a fairly significant decrease in battery life on my S8+, and it's not quite a year old yet.  I never noticed that on my previous Nexus 6.  Might go back to a Google phone next time around.