Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 111926 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #340 on: March 28, 2019, 05:38:20 pm »
Is there an Apple inside here ?
I was wonder how long will Apple support Iphone6 before it becomes a brick

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #341 on: March 28, 2019, 08:19:26 pm »

Get the iPhone SE , it is smaller than a 6 .

Discontinued
Costco is selling 32 g model for $299 on the website , it will be cheaper in the store
https://www.costco.ca/iPhone-SE-32-GB-Rose-Gold.product.100473140.html

Same price. Rose gold only though.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 28, 2019, 08:35:40 pm »

Ok. So what happens when you remove the card and take a photo?

What do you mean remove the card and take a photo? What are you talking about?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:37:36 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2019, 08:36:51 pm »
Is there an Apple inside here ?
I was wonder how long will Apple support Iphone6 before it becomes a brick

I'd say at least a year or two based on what they've done in the past.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2019, 08:39:08 pm »

Wendy do you mean remove the card and take a photo? What are you talking about?

If you're using a memory card and you tell the phone to save all photos to that card, and then take the card out, what happens when you start taking photos? Obviously they can't be saved to the card at that point. Then you put the card back in. Are some of your photos now on the card and others on the built-in storage? Is there a way to then consolidate them again?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2019, 08:40:41 pm »

If you're using a memory card and you tell the phone to save all photos to that card, and then take the card out, what happens when you start taking photos? Obviously they can't be saved to the card at that point. Then you put the card back in. Are some of your photos now on the card and others on the built-in storage? Is there a way to then consolidate them again?
Why are you removing the card?

I don't understand why you're removing the card for any reason. You bought the card to expand storage...why are you removing it? For what reason?

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 28, 2019, 08:42:53 pm »

I don't understand why you're removing the card for any reason. You bought the card to expand storage...why are you removing it? For what reason?

To upgrade to a bigger card? To transfer the photos to another device?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 28, 2019, 08:46:56 pm »

So if you are upgrading to another card...why wouldn't you put the replacement card in as soon as you remove the old one? Unless you do things extremely oddly or inefficiently? And why would you buy too small a card requiring an upgrade to begin with? Get the biggest card from the start and be done with it.

As far as another device...the phone automatically saves your photos (instantly if you want) to the cloud...or at a time of your choosing and each Android device (or your laptop) has access to them seamlessly.

I'm guessing you don't really know how android works?

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2019, 08:52:06 pm »

So if you are upgrading to another card...why wouldn't you put the replacement card in as soon as you remove the old one? Unless you do things extremely oddly or inefficiently? And why would you buy too small a card requiring an upgrade to begin with? Get the biggest card from the start and be done with it.

As far as another device...the phone automatically saves your photos (instantly if you want) to the cloud...or at a time of your choosing and each Android device (or your laptop) has access to them seamlessly.

I understand that you can save stuff to the cloud and sync it to other devices but I also know not everyone does that. I'm honestly curious how the device handles the scenario I mentioned.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 28, 2019, 08:54:43 pm »
And why would you buy too small a card requiring an upgrade to begin with? Get the biggest card from the start and be done with it.

And sorry, but this really cracks me up.  ;D

Why would you buy a phone with too small of storage to begin with? Get the biggest one from the start and be done with it.  :P

See... You just proved there's no need for expandable memory.  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 28, 2019, 08:57:54 pm »

I understand that you can save stuff to the cloud and sync it to other devices but I also know not everyone does that. I'm honestly curious how the device handles the scenario I mentioned.

But who would do that scenario? Because it's dumb. If you're wise enough to know you'd like extra storage (because you might run out of room), I'd suggest you're smart enough to know about cloud and synching to devices.

So yea, if you do things stupidly, I'm sure you could find deficiencies in anything.

My phone can handle 256gb card BTW.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 28, 2019, 09:05:01 pm »

But who would do that scenario? Because it's dumb. If you're wise enough to know you'd like extra storage (because you might run out of room), I'd suggest you're smart enough to know about cloud and synching to devices.

So yea, if you do things stupidly, I'm sure you could find deficiencies in anything.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me like a lot of phone users who are otherwise pretty smart have not embraced cloud storage and backup (regardless of whether they are iPhone or Android users). I also know of very technical people who are skeptical of keeping things in the cloud (though I don't quite understand why).

And let's face it, people do dumb stuff all the time.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 28, 2019, 09:11:14 pm »

I could be wrong, but it seems to me like a lot of phone users who are otherwise pretty smart have not embraced cloud storage and backup (regardless of whether they are iPhone or Android users). I also know of very technical people who are skeptical of keeping things in the cloud (though I don't quite understand why).

And let's face it, people do dumb stuff all the time.  ;D
Ok...so if these same dumb people don't know how to use the cloud once their iPhone memory is full, do they throw their phone in the garbage because it's full?

If they can't deal with extracting photos from an SD card that would also mean they can't extract photos from the built in memory, doesn't it?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #353 on: March 29, 2019, 12:26:33 am »
My Galaxy S7 has 32gb of storage built in, I  just checked & have 1.2gb of space left, nothing in the cloud, no SD card & have all my photos going back a few phones. And I've had this phone for 2yrs now. Guess I'm old, well, not as old as a some of you, but older than a few of you.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #354 on: March 29, 2019, 01:04:12 am »
All my photos are on my phone as well, back to 2011 anyway. Still only 28.7 GB of 64 GB used. iPhone 6s, bought back in 2015.

Can't see myself needing more than 64 GB when I replace this phone sometime in the next year or two. I wonder if 64 GB will even be an option then, or if 128 GB will be the smallest?

But I guess I'm old, too. 50th birthday coming up next month.  :-\

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 29, 2019, 06:21:12 am »
All my photos are on my phone as well, back to 2011 anyway. Still only 28.7 GB of 64 GB used. iPhone 6s, bought back in 2015.

Can't see myself needing more than 64 GB when I replace this phone sometime in the next year or two. I wonder if 64 GB will even be an option then, or if 128 GB will be the smallest?

But I guess I'm old, too. 50th birthday coming up next month.  :-\
I have to get around to delate a thousand videos of granddaughter playing at open mic,( dam people talk while she singing  :banghead:  ;). )  that should free up a ton of space on a 64 gig iPhone 6

Might be worth to spend the extra $100 to go to 128 gig phone because once you over 50 , your are fack, and you don't have any grandkids to help you out  :rofl:

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 29, 2019, 12:50:22 pm »
The nice thing about storing your photos on iCloud is that it automatically frees up space on the phone. For the most part it will just store the thumbnails and download the full photos as needed.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #357 on: March 29, 2019, 01:04:50 pm »
The nice thing about having ample storage on your phone is you don't need to mess about with clouds. ;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 29, 2019, 01:05:44 pm »
The nice thing about having ample storage on your phone is you don't need to mess about with clouds. ;D
Or paid for tons of over price data

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #359 on: March 29, 2019, 01:14:31 pm »
clouds are great and the future of computing...at another location??...no problem, log in, all your stuff is there...get a new phone??...no problem, log in and all your stuff is there...lost your phone?...no problem, everything is backed up in the cloud.

in a few years, your "computer" will be little more than a slave device...all the processing power will be done elsewhere with cloud computing.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.