Author Topic: The Cell Phone Thread  (Read 111856 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12436
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: The Cell Phone Thread
« Reply #320 on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:50 am »
I don't get why I-weenies are so thin-skinned - maybe grumpy from lack of sleep because they camped out overnight at the mall to be first to buy their new phone?  ???

Good lord, I'm talking about your phone, not your kid. Chillax.

If you can't understand why expandable storage is a real benefit, don't look to me for help extracting your head from where it's stuck.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2019, 11:54:58 am »

The bestest most user-friendly sheep on the planet,  donchaknow!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2019, 11:58:45 am »
If you can't understand why expandable storage is a real benefit, don't look to me for help extracting your head from where it's stuck.

Literally no one said or implied that they don't understand the benefit of expandable storage. And no one was being thin skinned.

You're the one speaking negatively about iPhone users, not vice versa.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2019, 12:06:12 pm »
Haha we're not the grumpy ones here, but do continue to hurl out insults like politicians dole out negative attack ads because you have nothing better to offer if that makes you feel better. Now I've responded to your insults, but I'm still not grumpy.  ;D

I don't need the extra storage, I use 41 GB on my 128 GB phone which I've had for 6 months now. I have music on it I frequently listen to and podcasts but everything is streamed these days.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 28, 2019, 12:11:55 pm »
Believe it or not there are a couple of pretty good reasons not to offer expandable storage on a mobile device.

First is performance. Using an SD card can lower performance dramatically. One article I saw cited performance losses of up to 2000% in some cases (though I'm assuming that is an extreme and isn't typical).

The second is that it would require the user to have to manually manage the filesystem to some extent. Right now that's not really possible in iOS. For the most part, the data for each app is siloed for security reasons and the user doesn't need to intervene to determine where or how content is stored. Making storage expandable complicates all of that.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 28, 2019, 12:30:10 pm »

Literally no one said or implied that they don't understand the benefit of expandable storage. And no one was being thin skinned.

Literally, the people crying about being made fun of were being thin skinned.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 28, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »

"I don't get why Android users are so hell bent on making fun of iPhone users." That's crying?  ???

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 28, 2019, 12:33:22 pm »

Making storage expandable complicates all of that.

It really doesn't. You set where you want a certain type of file (music, photo, video, etc) to go. And every time thereafter that's where the file resides.

And the only way a card MIGHT slow performance is if your running some massive app off the card...which people generally shouldn't do.

Never, ever had a phone slow due to SD storage...even going back to the old SIIx which wasn't a powerhouse to begin with.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 28, 2019, 12:42:04 pm »

It really doesn't. You set where you want a certain type of file (music, photo, video, etc) to go. And every time thereafter that's where the file resides.

Ok. So what happens when you remove the card and take a photo? Where does it end up? How do you maintain a consistent user experience, without confusing people who don't know/understand what a file system is?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 28, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »
And the only way a card MIGHT slow performance is if your running some massive app off the card...which people generally shouldn't do.

Never, ever had a phone slow due to SD storage...even going back to the old SIIx which wasn't a powerhouse to begin with.

The interface between the onboard memory and the expandable memory is inherently slower.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 28, 2019, 12:55:13 pm »

"I don't get why Android users are so hell bent on making fun of iPhone users." That's crying?  ???

Yep - and what you're doing is whining.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 28, 2019, 12:58:21 pm »

Spot on in all respects.  My phone sure isn't playing my music or showing my movies or presenting my photos "slowly" due to the "inherently slower interface".  So lol at that.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 28, 2019, 12:59:37 pm »

Asking questions is whining. Got it. Thanks for setting me straight.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #333 on: March 28, 2019, 01:04:21 pm »
I got a Spigen Tough Armor case. It's good for the most part except it didn't prevent my phone from being crushed by car after car when I dropped it on the freeway during a motorcycle ride in January.  :rofl2: But I am using the case for my replacement phone.

https://www.amazon.ca/Spigen-Extreme-Protection-Technology-Designed/dp/B07GJKQC4R/ref=sr_1_1?crid=12A7FDGF3MPYB&keywords=spigen+tough+armor+iphone+xr&qid=1553783679&s=gateway&sprefix=spigen+tough+arm%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-1

I have an Otterbox Commuter on my work iPhone 6S and it's not too bulky, although the 6S is thinner than the XR. The Otterbox definitely feels more solid but I don't know if it or any case would've prevented my phone from getting crushed. Otterbox used to make crush proof phone cases. Their very bulky Defender case may but my coworker has it on his 6S and he thinks it's overkill.

Thanks, I just ordered that Spigen case.  Would love to try wireless charging, but I stick my HID tag on the back of my phone case.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2019, 01:05:04 pm »
Spot on in all respects.  My phone sure isn't playing my music or showing my movies or presenting my photos "slowly" due to the "inherently slower interface".  So lol at that.

Just because it hasn't happened to you guys doesn't mean it can't happen.

Speed is also an issue. Cheap memory cards in particular just don't perform as well as internal memory, with one study, carried out by Hyojun Kim at the Georgia Institute of Technology, showing that using a microSD card in your phone can cause it to become sluggish, with even basic tasks like web browsing suffering as a result.

Overall performance can often drop by between 100% and 300% – and in one case the study found that there was an incredible 2,000% decrease in performance.

Even at the lower end that's a massive loss in performance, and an unacceptable trade-off for some extra storage.

https://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/do-we-really-need-expandable-memory-on-our-phones-any-more-1328856

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2019, 01:08:11 pm »
The girl who administers our fleet of phones at the office offered to get me an XR to replace my 7 Plus....figured why not, I only have 32GB storage and it's getting cramped.  Looking forward to 128GB...breathing room. Hopefully the screen's pixel density is OK...

I love my XR. The pixel density is not an issue. I heard OLED screens need a high pixel density because of the individually lit pixels but not LCDs.

I never understand why Apple peeps put up with the absence of expandable storage on their phones.  Both my wife and daughter (a pair of I-weenies  ;D ) are always complaining about their phones getting jammed up memory-wise.  I'm like, why not just buy a micro-SD card?  They're like - wut - you can do that with your phone?  :rofl2:  I've got 128k built in and another 128k on a micro SD upon which I can dump all the photos, music and downloaded movies I will ever need.  That micro SD cost like $30.  Being cramped will not be an issue.

128k, what do you have an old Radio Shack digital address book?

All my photos back up to the cloud and it's offloaded from my storage until I want to look at them. Plus side is if I lose my phone again, I don't lose my stuff.

I don't get why Android users are so hell bent on making fun of iPhone users. You enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine. I had an Android before and hated it, Apple would have to screw up bad for me to go back. I might grab a cheap Android someday like the Moto G they sell at Costco just to geek around with it but my main phone has to just work.

I don't get it either. I have an iPhone 6 for personal use and a G9 for work, and find the iPhone easier to use and more intuitive. Wife just upgraded from her 6 to the XR and loves it.

One thing I do wish is for phones to get smaller. The 6 is such a nice size. I even wish there was a iPhone 4 sized phone on the market...
Get the iPhone SE , it is smaller than a 6 .

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2019, 01:12:27 pm »

Discontinued
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2019, 01:22:43 pm »
There were rumors that Apple was working on a new smaller phone but it seems like that is not a big market anymore. Personally I'm good with the size of the X/XS. The Plus is just way too big for me though.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2019, 01:27:25 pm »

Asking questions is whining. Got it. Thanks for setting me straight.

You're very welcome.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #339 on: March 28, 2019, 05:31:01 pm »

Discontinued
Costco is selling 32 g model for $299 on the website , it will be cheaper in the store
https://www.costco.ca/iPhone-SE-32-GB-Rose-Gold.product.100473140.html