Author Topic: Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread  (Read 188533 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread
« Reply #1020 on: April 06, 2023, 04:23:07 pm »

The Typhoon was technically a Blazer?

Yes....yes it definitely was, but to me, thats a whole other animal, that I love, cherish and want to have in my life. A Typhoon, Syclone, CTS-V wagon, and a Buick GNX

They also put the GNX/Typhoon power train in a Trans Am
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #1021 on: April 06, 2023, 04:56:38 pm »

Yes....yes it definitely was, but to me, thats a whole other animal, that I love, cherish and want to have in my life. A Typhoon, Syclone, CTS-V wagon, and a Buick GNX

The 25th anniversary Trans Am. It has the 3.8 Turbo V6 borrowed from the Buick Grand National. The SY/Ty trucks had a 4.3 Turbo based off the truck/van engine.

I’d love to find a nice Typhoon. Tried to buy several from Japan, each time I actually won a auction something would mysteriously come up and the trucks were pulled from the sale. They worked out to be around 7-9k landed at port in Vancouver back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 06, 2023, 05:41:33 pm »

The 25th anniversary Trans Am. It has the 3.8 Turbo V6 borrowed from the Buick Grand National. The SY/Ty trucks had a 4.3 Turbo based off the truck/van engine.

I’d love to find a nice Typhoon. Tried to buy several from Japan, each time I actually won a auction something would mysteriously come up and the trucks were pulled from the sale. They worked out to be around 7-9k landed at port in Vancouver back then.

Right!

I wasn't 100 percent sure which turbo engine it had....but knew it was one of them!

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 15, 2023, 09:07:07 pm »
Took this on trade from a guy in his 70’s. Unbelievable how small, tinny, slow, noisy, tippy, cheaply constructed, drafty, and generally unsafe these are. How they’re so popular for anything is beyond me. Guys out here love them for a hunting rig, a road legal side by side. But even at that you still need to drive it on the highway. Anything over 100 km/h is living dangerously.

Did I mention I absolutely love driving it? [emoji38]

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 15, 2023, 09:24:46 pm »
Stick?

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 15, 2023, 09:33:14 pm »
Stick?
Unfortunately, no. Nowhere near as desirable with a auto and even more gutless.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #1026 on: April 15, 2023, 09:56:39 pm »
Looks solid at least. These still show up around here every once and awhile, and yes, guys love them as hunting rigs.

Also looks like this is a GMC badged unit? Probably the least common, I certainly recall seeing a lot more Geo and Chevy branded examples.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread
« Reply #1027 on: April 15, 2023, 10:34:38 pm »
Looks solid at least. These still show up around here every once and awhile, and yes, guys love them as hunting rigs.

Also looks like this is a GMC badged unit? Probably the least common, I certainly recall seeing a lot more Geo and Chevy branded examples.
The rarest title goes to the Pontiac and Asuna branded models sold as Sunrunners.

This is a GMC

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1028 on: April 16, 2023, 12:51:38 am »
Took this on trade from a guy in his 70’s. Unbelievable how small, tinny, slow, noisy, tippy, cheaply constructed, drafty, and generally unsafe these are. How they’re so popular for anything is beyond me. Guys out here love them for a hunting rig, a road legal side by side. But even at that you still need to drive it on the highway. Anything over 100 km/h is living dangerously.

Did I mention I absolutely love driving it? [emoji38]

Of course you do!   ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #1029 on: April 16, 2023, 01:03:01 pm »
Stick?
Unfortunately, no. Nowhere near as desirable with a auto and even more gutless.

You know, I've driven enough of these old 80s/90s slow mainstream things that are now desirable because "character", and I handily prefer most with an automatic. Save for something that's not a Honda (Preludes, Civics, CRXs, Accords), VWs, BMWs, etc. that were actually engineered to drive well, the manual does nothing but worsen the driving experience.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 16, 2023, 02:15:16 pm »
Those Tracker variants are awesome. Never had the chance to own one.

For those keeping count the poor Suzuki Sidekick had been sold in the following variations in Canada -GMC Tracker, Chevrolet Tracker, Geo Tracker, Asüna Sunrunner, Pontiac Sunrunner and of course the Suzuki Sidekick. Six variants of the same vehicle with hardly a difference beyond the badges – madness! Internationally it wore the following badges and names:
Suzuki Escudo (Japan)
Suzuki Sidekick (North America)
Suzuki Vitara (Australia)
Chevrolet Tracker (North America)
Geo Tracker (North America)
GMC Tracker (Canada)
Asüna Sunrunner (Canada)
Pontiac Sunrunner (Canada)
Santana 300/350 (Spain)
Chevrolet Vitara (Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela)
Suzuki Nomade (Chile)

Wow, that is eleven variants on the same vehicle. With nothing more than a little bit of trim and badges to separate them. So can anyone think of a more badge engineered vehicle?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1031 on: April 16, 2023, 04:43:56 pm »
You know, I've driven enough of these old 80s/90s slow mainstream things that are now desirable because "character", and I handily prefer most with an automatic. Save for something that's not a Honda (Preludes, Civics, CRXs, Accords), VWs, BMWs, etc. that were actually engineered to drive well, the manual does nothing but worsen the driving experience.

Could add Mazdas to that 'manual is good' list. The 80's Mazda pickup I drove for years shifted like a dream

But some of those early autos on small vehicle were awful. We had a first gen Ford Ranger for work and the auto on that thing was a terrible match to the 4 cyl, you could tell an engineer used to V8 torque had designed it

Speaking of which the V8/auto combination in that era was a dream compared to V8/standards, at least on trucks. Unless you likes getting to know the person sitting beside you with 3 ft shift throws

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 16, 2023, 05:24:52 pm »
My 77 GmC 3/4 ton was a manual, if it were an automatic I would’ve kept it. The manual was truly awful to use and aside from the bill-low offered nothing over a automatic.

The tracker is a 3sp auto. It desperately needs a overdrive as 100 Km/h must be buzzing around 3500 rpm. It also sucks what little power this thing puts out. The previous owner specifically wanted the auto as in his opinion was better for off road bill climbing.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1033 on: April 16, 2023, 07:56:32 pm »

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread
« Reply #1034 on: April 16, 2023, 08:03:19 pm »
Neat! Thanks for that!

Turbocharged fuel injected 4cyl, all digital dash, it talked, had a whiz bang electronic trip computer, wide tires….I often wonder how far ahead my GTS would’ve felt to the average (domestic) car buyer 33 years ago. I insure it again next week, the third summer of use problem free (hefty knock on wood)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1035 on: April 17, 2023, 12:35:46 pm »
My 77 GmC 3/4 ton was a manual, if it were an automatic I would’ve kept it. The manual was truly awful to use and aside from the bill-low offered nothing over a automatic.

The tracker is a 3sp auto. It desperately needs a overdrive as 100 Km/h must be buzzing around 3500 rpm. It also sucks what little power this thing puts out. The previous owner specifically wanted the auto as in his opinion was better for off road bill climbing.

While I agree auto is easier off road because you can use the brake pedal and accelerator pedal at the same time, having driven a manual one of these a time or two, couldn't imagine losing what little power was there to a slushbox. They are a street legal side by side though, I would 100% buy one of these over a side by side due to the enclosed cabin and licence plate.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1036 on: April 17, 2023, 09:43:17 pm »
A buddy had a  Suzuki Samurai. geared down on 31" tires. When off roading it wasn't uncommon to tip onto it's side. 2-3 people could flip it back up on it's wheels.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #1037 on: April 18, 2023, 08:05:43 am »
From the Car and Driver archive.

1985 Chrysler LeBaron GTS Turbo: Swinging for the Fences

I had an '87 LeBaron Turbo Coupe.  The only car I ever owned that I would describe as an unmitigated POS.  Surprised they didn't go bankrupt on warranty repairs on that one car alone.  :hurl: :hurl:  Whiz-bang indeed - the sound of the next thing breaking.  :rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1038 on: April 18, 2023, 11:12:21 am »

I had an '87 LeBaron Turbo Coupe.  The only car I ever owned that I would describe as an unmitigated POS.  Surprised they didn't go bankrupt on warranty repairs on that one car alone.  :hurl: :hurl:  Whiz-bang indeed - the sound of the next thing breaking.  :rofl2:

Let me guess; this was your last Chrysler?

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 18, 2023, 12:02:57 pm »

When I showed my friend, a retired ex-Chrysler/Dodge dealership co-owner my GTS, he had a similar story to tell. He hated it when people he knew wanted to buy one (they did look nice) because he knew they’d be back unhappily getting repairs done.

They weren’t known for reliability that’s for certain.