Author Topic: Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread  (Read 188698 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread
« Reply #820 on: May 05, 2021, 10:42:27 am »
The small overlap test didn't come into effect until 2012. All the late 90s and 2000s minivans would've graded poor on the small overlap too. Heck the 2010s minivans were marginal at best on the small overlap. The Pacifica, current gen Odyssey, and all new Sienna score well there.
i realize that, but a 2014 Mazda 5 still isn't that great (in that, it's no safety blanket).

Better than a Previa, Astro, and Venture.
sure, but those are also much older (by 10-20 years), and it's not that much better...i don't fault the 5 as it's an older platform too...i'm just saying, the 5 isn't rated that great either, so just be careful out there.
You be careful in that death trap Rio too. Time to trade it in?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #821 on: May 05, 2021, 02:20:26 pm »
The small overlap test didn't come into effect until 2012. All the late 90s and 2000s minivans would've graded poor on the small overlap too. Heck the 2010s minivans were marginal at best on the small overlap. The Pacifica, current gen Odyssey, and all new Sienna score well there.
i realize that, but a 2014 Mazda 5 still isn't that great (in that, it's no safety blanket).

sure, but those are also much older (by 10-20 years), and it's not that much better...i don't fault the 5 as it's an older platform too...i'm just saying, the 5 isn't rated that great either, so just be careful out there.
the Rio5 got a good rating, actually.

they don't have a crash test rating for my 2012 hatchback, but they do for the 2013 Sedan (which is basically the same anyway)...green (good) scores all around:

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2013-Kia-Rio/safety-ratings/

the 2014 Mazda5 received a poor rating overall with several areas doing poorly in the test: https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2014-Mazda-Mazda5/safety-ratings/

still have another year and a half before i replace it then it will be on to something new(er).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #822 on: May 05, 2021, 02:53:47 pm »
Wow and I thought I might be the only one with fond memories of an Aerostar! I learned to drive in a 93 XLT AWD extended version. It was unstoppable in the snow!

Me too, many fond memories of road trips taken in ours.  The rear auxiliary heater really put out the heat!  Took this pic just before we disposed of ours in 2007. :'(

Aerostars are awesome! The Windstars that replaced them have to be in the top 5 POS Ford ever made. I had one in Hawaii as a rental. Side door wouldn't stay closed. It would randomly open while driving. The rental guy wasn't surprised he told me lots of them did that..   Quality was job 1!

Lets see:

Pinto
Fairmont
bubble Taurus
Windstar

oh yeah and the old mans 70s sedan which lost a few hoods due to random popping open on the highway. (Perhaps late 70s Crown Vic?)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #823 on: May 05, 2021, 04:20:43 pm »
My own family never really had any minivans, so I can't reminisce in the same way, but I do have a couple Astro/Safari stories.

When I met Mrs.Firm in HS her dad had an Astro, one of the final ones (2001-ish), fully loaded deal with leather and all the gadgets, it was two toned blue/pewter. This was 2006/7, so it wasn't that old yet, but it was seriously falling apart and drove terribly. I remember borrowing it one time to pickup a big plasma TV (our first, when they were super heavy) and the shocks were so bad trying to drive gingerly back home was an exercise in frustration, the van just refused to settle on the road at all. Another time, near the end of it's tenure, Mrs.Firm drove it to the local grocery store and came out to the van surrounded by firefighters and a fire truck. Apparently the caliper had seized, heated up and generated enough heat to catch something on fire. Her dad botched it back together and drove it a few more months, eventually trading it in for $500 on an F150 in 2009.

Around the same time, I worked in a shop and the owner/boss had purchased one of the final, 2005 I think, Safari cargo vans and used it for shop runs and for hauling his motorcycles around. It was also blue and well optioned (for a cargo van). By 2009-2010 it only had like 30,000kms and looked/drove like brand new...We would get people asking to buy it weekly and he eventually let it go for almost what he paid for it new! Pretty crazy how strong a following those things had (and still have).

There are still two, nearly identical, Astro passenger vans, again the final versions with the extra cladding and such in my neighborhood. Both two-tone rusty red/pewter and look to be in decent shape and are daily drivers. The drivelines are solid, it was the brakes and suspension that went quick on them if you didn't keep up on repairs. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #824 on: May 05, 2021, 05:00:51 pm »
Now that I've found all the Sonatas in my neighbourhood, I'll look for Astro/Safaris!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #825 on: May 05, 2021, 05:04:44 pm »
These wheels??? I like these ones!

My Dad had an identical Safari, same colours, awd but with the more common polished alloys. Had the rear half barn doors. Riding in the 2nd row would make anyone sea sick with the weird motions from the suspension. 4.3 was a beast though, and the fancy seats were cool.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 05, 2021, 06:17:58 pm »

they don't have a crash test rating for my 2012 hatchback, but they do for the 2013 Sedan (which is basically the same anyway)...green (good) scores all around:

the 2014 Mazda5 received a poor rating overall with several areas doing poorly in the test: https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2014-Mazda-Mazda5/safety-ratings/

still have another year and a half before i replace it then it will be on to something new(er).
Not apples to apples. You’re not getting it, moderate overlap and small overlap crash tests are different. Your Rio scored marginal on the small overlap crash test.

https://youtu.be/EAXCWK6EbE8

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/kia/rio-4-door-sedan/2012

Could be worse. Could be an Accent which scored poor.

https://youtu.be/NShjLMI14tg

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 05, 2021, 08:53:19 pm »

Not apples to apples. You’re not getting it, moderate overlap and small overlap crash tests are different. Your Rio scored marginal on the small overlap crash test.

https://youtu.be/EAXCWK6EbE8

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/kia/rio-4-door-sedan/2012

Could be worse. Could be an Accent which scored poor.

https://youtu.be/NShjLMI14tg
i do get it...you were pointing out vehicles that scored poorly in crash tests, then mentioned you'll stick with your Mazda 5...i simply said it isn't very good either...you then said my Rio was a death trap to which i showed it still scored better than the Mazda 5.

The Rio's marginal score comes in the footwell:

The Mazda 5's poor score in the same spot:

odd about the Accent though, it's basically the same car. :think:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #828 on: May 05, 2021, 09:10:02 pm »
Just fackin stop
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #829 on: May 05, 2021, 09:21:28 pm »
Certainly advantages to getting newer vehicles

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 05, 2021, 09:57:02 pm »
i do get it...you were pointing out vehicles that scored poorly in crash tests, then mentioned you'll stick with your Mazda 5...i simply said it isn't very good either...you then said my Rio was a death trap to which i showed it still scored better than the Mazda 5.

Ok fine. Tell me a newer safer 6 seater manual car that has auto climate control, rain sensing wipers, and automatic lights I can get today. You can respond to me in never.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 05, 2021, 10:42:37 pm »

Ok fine. Tell me a newer safer 6 seater manual car that has auto climate control, rain sensing wipers, and automatic lights I can get today. You can respond to me in never.
i was just saying to be careful...the Mazda5 isn't as safe as you were implying, that's all...you need a new Sienna Hybrid.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 06, 2021, 02:18:20 am »

i was just saying to be careful...the Mazda5 isn't as safe as you were implying, that's all...you need a new Sienna Hybrid.
Sigh. I feel like this is purely semantics at this point. :shrugs:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #833 on: May 06, 2021, 02:14:14 pm »
Found one in my subdivision.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #834 on: May 07, 2021, 08:04:32 am »
^late-model "dome dash". Nice parking brake  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #835 on: May 07, 2021, 10:26:18 am »

Ummm, the Mercedes E class wagon...think even up to the proper, big boy AMG, has the third row seats.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #836 on: May 07, 2021, 10:38:07 am »

Ummm, the Mercedes E class wagon...think even up to the proper, big boy AMG, has the third row seats.

MANUAL....!!!!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #837 on: May 07, 2021, 10:40:30 am »

MANUAL....!!!!

Toss two kids in the trunk of an M2??

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #838 on: May 07, 2021, 10:51:59 am »

MANUAL....!!!!

Toss two kids in the trunk of an M2??

I'm thinking of a really good use for a rooftop box right now...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 07, 2021, 10:53:32 am »

This one in our neighborhood. Someone even survived an accident in it!