Author Topic: Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread  (Read 188716 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread
« Reply #740 on: April 28, 2021, 09:29:12 am »
What a find! It does look really nice. Would make a nice summer Cruiser.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #741 on: April 28, 2021, 10:10:47 am »
68 is probably my favorite year of the Riviera, that front end is just so odd looking I love it. Darker colors suit it best IMO, but this looks like an awesome find regardless.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #742 on: April 28, 2021, 12:38:56 pm »
What do I win?  ;D

I really like the original wheel covers - different than the usual Buick "mags" people put on these. How's the interior?
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 28, 2021, 12:40:15 pm »
Nice video of nice clean Bu.  I see what you mean about it looking better in a dark colour...and even the vinyl roof lends itself well to this old boat.
https://youtu.be/tNseZ8109xQ

Is it weird how much I love the greens from the 60's?

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #744 on: April 29, 2021, 05:08:09 pm »
Still getting it cleaned up. It’ll run and move under it’s own power but I think I need a new fuel pump. It’s a project, one I brought to this point and someone else can take it further. I’m not a real 60’s car guy but do really appreciate the lines of this grand old boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #745 on: April 29, 2021, 06:57:01 pm »
The cool factor is right up there with this car.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 01, 2021, 01:51:55 am »
So, curious, can you tell us what the buy it now price is?  (Un)fortunately there's no way to cross province shop anymore so I can ask and dream and come up empty... :'( But I still want to know how badly you can crush my dream.  ;D

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #747 on: May 01, 2021, 08:13:18 am »

Agreed.

Any idea what stopping distances are, from say 60 mph, for cars like these?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #748 on: May 01, 2021, 10:20:31 am »

Agreed.

Saskatchewan

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #749 on: May 01, 2021, 10:24:39 am »

Agreed.

Saskatchewan

:rofl2:

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread
« Reply #750 on: May 01, 2021, 04:19:11 pm »
So, curious, can you tell us what the buy it now price is?  (Un)fortunately there's no way to cross province shop anymore so I can ask and dream and come up empty... :'( But I still want to know how badly you can crush my dream.  ;D
Actually thinking of dragging it to Alberta. The market for old cars seems tenfold better than BC. I advertised it for $7500 but will take  less.

And braking? Lol, at this point it IS Saskatchewan! The brakes don’t work....at all. I’m tackling that today. It does have front disks and power assist.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 01, 2021, 04:40:50 pm »
This probably isn’t remotely interesting to any of you but as far as minivans are concerned this may be one of the rarest. I worked for a ford dealership when these were new, a facelift came in 98 after Ford realized the new Caravan was so far superior in every way imaginable. That makes the 98 Windstar a one year van as a complete new model was introduced in 99. Now, for only part of 98 they offered the “limited” trim. It was about $4500 on top of a loaded LX and offered nothing really that special. The volume model was the GL with the convenience package, that had all the options most buyers wanted and was a good $10k less than the limited. Our Ford dealership was #2 in Canada at the time, and we sold plenty of Windstars. We ordered no Limiteds as they leased out poorly and were so expensive. Factory order only is what the sales manager told us. In fact, the 98 was a short year altogether for the Windstar and we ordered/sold about 1/4 of what we did in 97.

This is in fact the first one I’ve even seen. Don’t recall any other local dealers ordering these either. A coastal BC van from new and amazingly still rust free. Has very few unique options over a loaded LX. Embroidered “limited” leather seats, special polished wheels, monochromatic mirrors and trim, JBL audio with rear sub, and load levelling suspension. Anyway, a bit of useless Windstar history for y’all on a Saturday afternoon.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #752 on: May 02, 2021, 09:41:57 am »
I actually remember the '98 facelift for the Windstar well. It worked wonders for the front end design and I thought it was a very handsome van at the time.

I remember the "Northwoods" edition as well, which typically came in the same colour as pictured above?
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #753 on: May 02, 2021, 11:00:46 am »
This probably isn’t remotely interesting to any of you but as far as minivans are concerned this may be one of the rarest.

I found it interesting.  Good history lesson.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 02, 2021, 02:04:19 pm »
I remember the Windstar but they weren't really well made right?

I liked the Mercury Villager, Nautica edition. It was a Nissan Quest twin. Kinda odd how Ford offered two vans.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: May 02, 2021, 02:48:48 pm »
The rear suspension has bad rust issues in a lot of parts of the country - I think there was a buy back or something in certain places. The 3.8L V6 had head gasket issues. Not too many left.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 02, 2021, 06:09:31 pm »
Yes, the north woods edition was the same color. Body color matched wheels if I recall. Another rare Windstar!

My uncle had a 95 Windstar LX, it was a absolute lemon. Two head gasket failures before the warranty ran out. One failed transmission shortly after warranty expired. He hated it. By 97 they updated the 3.8 and it proved to be a very durable engine. Transmissions were still iffy but I do remember our Ford service manager saying to only buy one of these vans with the towing package. They came with a heavy duty transmission, cooler, and heavier CV axles.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 02, 2021, 07:10:37 pm »
I remember those Windstars well. My parents were looking to trade in the family Ford Aerostar in around 1998 and the local Ford dealer had a '98 Windstar Limited on the lot. It was a very unique purple colour with those chrome wheels and a tan interior. It was right around when the 2nd generation was coming out in 1999 and I think the dealer was trying to clear it out as a leftover model. The transmissions were a common failure point on them, and I remember a family friend of ours having to put 2 transmissions into theirs. Good thing my parents passed on that '98 Limited.

I hardly ever see any Windstars on the road anymore. Although, I saw a very well looked after 2nd generation Limited on the road the other day. I think most died or rotted away and were put out to pasture some time ago.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #758 on: May 02, 2021, 08:27:31 pm »
The transmissions were a common failure point on them, and I remember a family friend of ours having to put 2 transmissions into theirs.

Not sure if my buddy had an old Aerostar or Windstar, but I'll always remember him calling me up 'Hey, can you pick me up from Spirit River' (next town over)

He'd driven it the 6 hrs to Edmonton, and on the way back it blew it's transmission all over the highway, right in the middle of nowhere

He coasted to the side of the road, called up a wrecker in Fox Creek who bought it sight unseen, then flagged down a semi and caught a ride that brought him almost all the way home

Thought that was very ingenious

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #759 on: May 02, 2021, 11:12:18 pm »
The transmissions were a common failure point on them, and I remember a family friend of ours having to put 2 transmissions into theirs.

Not sure if my buddy had an old Aerostar or Windstar, but I'll always remember him calling me up 'Hey, can you pick me up from Spirit River' (next town over)

He'd driven it the 6 hrs to Edmonton, and on the way back it blew it's transmission all over the highway, right in the middle of nowhere

He coasted to the side of the road, called up a wrecker in Fox Creek who bought it sight unseen, then flagged down a semi and caught a ride that brought him almost all the way home

Thought that was very ingenious
Aerostar was RWD, Windstar was FWD...Aerostar was also quite boxy shaped...the Windstar replaced the Aerostar.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.