Author Topic: Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread  (Read 188833 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread
« Reply #540 on: September 21, 2020, 10:49:58 am »
The latest has me so excited. Haven’t seen one in ages and I learned to drive in and grew up with the exact same van (same year, color combo, engine, interior, just a few less options on this one). It’s a 1985 Plymouth Voyager LE, 2.6 Mitsubishi, 130,000 Km. Belonged to a old lady that passed away this summer. It has ZERO rust! I’ll be looking at some transmission repairs though as the forward gears are almost totally gone. Still, so stoked over this one (I know, I’m odd) can’t wait to load the kids up and cruise like I did as a youngster in the original minivan!

We had a 1985 super base, zero option Caravan. And by that I mean it had the 2.2, manual, no air conditioning, and just five seats. The previous owner had moved the three seat middle row bench into the rear, and had then welded what I can only assume was a bench seat out of a full size van into the second row.

We moved to California in that van from Nova Scotia, pulling a 5x8 Uhaul behind it. The transmission went out on the first day of the trip, just outside of Woodstock NB. Thankfully it broke down right by a motel and restaurant that was run by a German so we were able to eat fantastic German food for three days while the van was getting fixed. This was back in 1991. The place closed just a few years ago and my wife and I drove up there before it did to have one last meal there.  :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #541 on: September 21, 2020, 10:51:36 am »
The latest has me so excited. Haven’t seen one in ages and I learned to drive in and grew up with the exact same van (same year, color combo, engine, interior, just a few less options on this one). It’s a 1985 Plymouth Voyager LE, 2.6 Mitsubishi, 130,000 Km. Belonged to a old lady that passed away this summer. It has ZERO rust! I’ll be looking at some transmission repairs though as the forward gears are almost totally gone. Still, so stoked over this one (I know, I’m odd) can’t wait to load the kids up and cruise like I did as a youngster in the original minivan!

We had a 1985 super base, zero option Caravan. And by that I mean it had the 2.2, manual, no air conditioning, and just five seats. The previous owner had moved the three seat middle row bench into the rear, and had then welded what I can only assume was a bench seat out of a full size van into the second row.

We moved to California in that van from Nova Scotia, pulling a 5x8 Uhaul behind it. The transmission went out on the first day of the trip, just outside of Woodstock NB. Thankfully it broke down right by a motel and restaurant that was run by a German so we were able to eat fantastic German food for three days while the van was getting fixed. This was back in 1991. The place closed just a few years ago and my wife and I drove up there before it did to have one last meal there.  :)

That must have been an epic journey.  Did the van survive going through the Rockies?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 21, 2020, 11:06:51 am »

That must have been an epic journey.  Did the van survive going through the Rockies?

It did, though probably just barely. We were in California for one year and while we were there they transmission went again. Then we drove it back home to Nova Scotia. The transmission finally went for a third time in 1997 at which point my dad finally dumped it.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 21, 2020, 11:24:50 am »
Oh Chrysler and their transmissions. The good old days. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 21, 2020, 11:30:32 am »
Usually the manuals were reliable - especially behind the 2.2L

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 21, 2020, 11:33:58 am »
It probably would have been fine if we weren't towing anything.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #546 on: September 21, 2020, 12:00:12 pm »
how's the engine??...those 2.6 Mits engines were notorious for chain guide failures (rebuilt many back in the day)...if it was well maintained, and driven normally, it may be ok...listen for chain noise as they get louder as they start to wear/fail.

I remember the issues, we had 3 of these engines in the family. The balance shaft chains/guides would go, sounded like a unusually noisy diesel, then the chain would eventually skip or break. Trouble was is that chain drives the oil pump and would take the motor with it. This one is nice and quiet still. The carb however is another story, its a complicated unit so I hear and certanly isn't working right. It chugs when cold and seems to be over fueling warm.

Oliver- I couldn't imagine such a long trip towing anything with a 2.2 5sp. When I got married we bought my Wife's uncles 1984 Caravan with the same combo. I recall not being able to use 5th gear that often, in 5th on the highway (flat) it didn't have the power to maintain 110, so you'd start slowing down and shifting to 4th lol. All was good with a tailwind though! The 2.6/auto van I drove uses to have big trouble in the mountains, we took a trip to Seattle, Mom, Grandpa, Grandma, Myself, and my cousin, the van would get passed by old motorhomes and semi trucks going up hills.

When the V6 came out it was a night and day difference. These vans needed that.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 21, 2020, 02:19:49 pm »
Usually the manuals were reliable - especially behind the 2.2L

Yeah i was referring to the automatics,especially  the 4spd auto. They were fussy about the fluid you used.

I had a 2.2 in an Aries and a Charger both manuals . They were fine but notchy.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #548 on: September 21, 2020, 05:09:21 pm »
how's the engine??...those 2.6 Mits engines were notorious for chain guide failures (rebuilt many back in the day)...if it was well maintained, and driven normally, it may be ok...listen for chain noise as they get louder as they start to wear/fail.

I remember the issues, we had 3 of these engines in the family. The balance shaft chains/guides would go, sounded like a unusually noisy diesel, then the chain would eventually skip or break. Trouble was is that chain drives the oil pump and would take the motor with it. This one is nice and quiet still. The carb however is another story, its a complicated unit so I hear and certanly isn't working right. It chugs when cold and seems to be over fueling warm.

if it's quiet, you should be fine then...the chain reminds me of that pic a few post of that V8 Audi engine (ok, it's not quite that bad, but compared to the 3.8L V6 and 5.0L V8 engines that were common, it was easily twice the length and snaked around everywhere in there)...regarding the carb, at least that should be a relatively easy/cheap fix (compared to nerfing an engine).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #549 on: September 21, 2020, 06:39:31 pm »
Nice find! Manual swap time.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Rev's ongoing buy/sell thread
« Reply #550 on: September 23, 2020, 10:34:58 pm »
Couldn’t resist this one. 2000 Yukon XL 3/4 ton with the huge 8100 vortec V8 (496 cubic inch). The 8100 is a very rare find. This has one owner and is in good shape. It’s the GFX edition (hence the ground effects) and has all the factory options. Missing are the tube side steps which I removed (they were rusty) a new set is on the way. This should tow our 33ft travel trailer just fine. The numbers of these engines were similar to the first generation duramax diesels, 320hp 455tq. Just don’t ask about gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 23, 2020, 10:41:53 pm »
Just don’t ask about gas mileage.

Okay, How much L / 100km ?   ;D :P
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 23, 2020, 10:55:52 pm »

This works on gallons per mile or litres per 10 kilometres lol. I actually filled it (~140l) and got 600 km to the tank. That’s about 23L/100km BUT, that included 330 km of towing a 1/2 ton Chevy truck on a trailer. Most owners report 10-14 MPG in normal use.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 23, 2020, 11:02:29 pm »
Your latest found looks clean for a 2000 survivor...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2020, 06:52:30 am »
How many KMs? Depending on how clean it is it could be BaT worthy.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #555 on: September 24, 2020, 07:51:16 am »
That's awesome.  Is it 4wd?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #556 on: September 24, 2020, 08:57:26 am »

This works on gallons per mile or litres per 10 kilometres lol. I actually filled it (~140l) and got 600 km to the tank. That’s about 23L/100km BUT, that included 330 km of towing a 1/2 ton Chevy truck on a trailer. Most owners report 10-14 MPG in normal use.

that isn't THAT bad (for what it is)...i think GBA's Tundra gets about the same.

big trucks are workhorse vehicles...they use fuel...it comes with the game. :)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #557 on: September 24, 2020, 09:18:09 am »
You always find the best stuff, that thing is awesome!

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #558 on: September 24, 2020, 09:30:34 am »

that isn't THAT bad (for what it is)...i think GBA's Tundra gets about the same.

I mean yeah, but the Tundra is also "ancient" in terms of powertrain and tech. My '20 Yukon Denali has the 6.2 and 4x4. It gets 9.5-9.7L/100km all day long on the highway as long as it's not towing, thanks to the 10-speed auto and cylinder deactivation. This segment has made serious advances in fuel economy over the years.

That said, when you're buying an HD Yukon like Rev's, this is not an expectation, and it looks AWESOME  ;D 8)
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #559 on: September 24, 2020, 09:41:40 am »

I mean yeah, but the Tundra is also "ancient" in terms of powertrain and tech. My '20 Yukon Denali has the 6.2 and 4x4. It gets 9.5-9.7L/100km all day long on the highway as long as it's not towing, thanks to the 10-speed auto and cylinder deactivation. This segment has made serious advances in fuel economy over the years.

That said, when you're buying an HD Yukon like Rev's, this is not an expectation, and it looks AWESOME  ;D 8)
That is crazy , the hybrid Venza is rated at 6.4 on the hiway ,