Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Subaru Crosstrek Kazan Edition  (Read 22546 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2017 Subaru Crosstrek Kazan Edition
« on: December 12, 2016, 06:38:32 am »
A screaming value if you just can’t wait
Read more...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Subaru Crosstrek Kazan Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 08:21:45 am »
Having a crappy manual tranny is probably still better than the CVT  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:23:48 am »
The Kazan Edition stands out most for its visual cues, and they culminate in styling that’s genuinely striking. Gloss-black badges and an all-black mesh grille pop off the exclusive Pure Red paint, spoiler included, and five-spoke 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels. Inside, matching red highlights and upholstery stitching pepper the trim in all the right places. It’s the same practical crossover, but the attention to detail works wonders.

It comes with an impressive suite of popular features as well, including a 6.2-inch infotainment system with Bluetooth capability, heated front seats, heated and foldable side mirrors, and a power tilting and sliding sunroof.

Personally I don't find different wheels, paint, badges etc makes a car a special edition.  From what I could see all you really get a the sunroof for the extra $1500 over the base model.

And while Subaru’s infotainment system was competitive as recently as a couple of years ago, it’s quickly fallen behind.

When has Subaru's infotainment systems ever been competitive?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 09:10:56 am »
I have to agree... This special edition falls squarely in the writer's original contemplation. It's simply lipstick on a piece of bacon that's beyond its prime.

I love the Crosstrek, but wEeLz will be first to tell you that others have caught up and surpassed this thing quickly. The 2018 will be very much worth the wait.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 10:48:52 am »
I have to agree... This special edition falls squarely in the writer's original contemplation. It's simply lipstick on a piece of bacon that's beyond its prime.

I love the Crosstrek, but wEeLz will be first to tell you that others have caught up and surpassed this thing quickly. The 2018 will be very much worth the wait.

Wasn't there a comparison test with this, the CX-3 and HR-V not long ago...and the Crosstrek won.  Not sure if it was an Autos article or one of the Caranddriver/Motortrend pieces.  Not sure what other compact CUV's have surpassed it since?

I would also say this special edition is lacking anything real special.  I am really looking forward to what the next generation can bring as it'll be on our list of possible replacements for our Santa Fe in 2020.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:19:07 am »
Count me as skeptical that this "special edition" has anything "special" whatsoever.

Now, what would make an awesome Crosstrek special edition?  How about dropping Subaru's 2.0T / 6MT powertrain in there?  (And we all know it fits, because the current WRX sedan uses the same engine compartment as the old Impreza sedan/hatch, upon which this Crosstrek is based).  And while we're at it, how about dropping the ride height by a couple of inches?  And if the "Crosstrek Turbo/Sport" name doesn't have enough equity to drive sales, maybe Subaru could call it something else...how about "WRX hatchback"?  ;)

Or for a less-awesome alternative, Subaru could drop the 2.5L boxer in there.  Yeah, that engine isn't a world-beater (I would know!), but it's fuel economy isn't appreciably worse than the 2.0L in the Crosstrek either.  The extra torque would definitely help the Crosstrek when loaded up, and the 6th gear on the M/T would drop the highway speed RPMS that the author referenced (my Forester runs at just under 2400 rpm @ 100 kph, and ~ 2800 rpm @ 120 kph).

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 11:21:28 am »
I keep seeing Kazakh. I'm not sure what a Kazakh Edition would be exactly, but it'd be pretty badass.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 11:31:52 am »
The on-paper fuel ratings don’t hurt too badly – 10.3 city, 7.8 highway – but my real-world readings came in a fair bit higher than that over the course of a week.

Any reason for not reporting what the real world fuel usage was?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 12:09:08 pm »
Subaru: "We know the Crosstrek is underpowered but we must do this to maintain good fuel economy. There's really no other way around it."

Mazda: "http://ow.ly/DCIQ3073aBH"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:11:17 pm by lebowski »

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 12:14:24 pm »
If I was interested in a Crosstrek I'd wait for the 2018.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 12:17:51 pm »

Even though the engine is gutless, a base Crosstrek with snows and a manual 'box is just so good in a Canadian Winter, and soooooooooooo cheap!!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 12:21:55 pm »
I keep seeing Kazakh. I'm not sure what a Kazakh Edition would be exactly, but it'd be pretty badass.

Good enough for me, not that it would make me buy one..  :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazan
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 12:22:38 pm »

Even though the engine is gutless, a base Crosstrek with snows and a manual 'box is just so good in a Canadian Winter, and soooooooooooo cheap!!

:iagree: It's a beast in snow. I wish it had the rear bias of the Outback 3.6R, but it's still tough to beat for the price.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 12:24:04 pm »

I had no idea. But do they hunt with eagles?  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 12:28:19 pm »
wEeLz will be first to tell you that others have caught up and surpassed this thing quickly.
Wasn't there a comparison test with this, the CX-3 and HR-V not long ago...and the Crosstrek won. 
I'm not calling the Crosstrek a bad vehicle, but the powertrain and interior tech are still ageing more rapidly than a new for 2013 model should.

Choose your pick for the comparison tests:
MotorTrend: http://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/the-big-test-2015-2016-subcompact-crossovers/
--> Crosstrek>CX-3>Renegade>HRV>Trax>Juke

Autos.ca: http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-subcompact-crossovers-suvs/?all=1
--> Crosstrek>HRV>CX-3>Tucson>Trax>Juke>RVR>500X>Renegade

Both of those comparos are getting old, though none of the other entrants have been updated.  That said, the Crosstrek's wins were because of an overall good value, never for praise of its powertrain or interior tech appointments.  It's just a solid chassis, good fuel economy, and reasonably good value.

Back in 2013, the Corolla was easily one of the least loved compact sedans.  Nowadays?  The Corolla is back near the top.  Gotta keep updating to stay competitive.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 12:29:11 pm »

I had no idea. But do they hunt with eagles?  ;D

With AK-47s and such  :P

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 12:31:48 pm »

:iagree: It's a beast in snow. I wish it had the rear bias of the Outback 3.6R, but it's still tough to beat for the price.

Can't disagree - the base model's a great value. Just wish they offered up an "enthusiast edition" for an extra few thousand. Maybe in the next go-around.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 12:46:12 pm »

Can't disagree - the base model's a great value. Just wish they offered up an "enthusiast edition" for an extra few thousand. Maybe in the next go-around.

I really don't get why they didn't pop one of the turbo engines in there. XV WRX would have been very cool.

The former Lady O still has the Crosstrek and it's been faultless.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 01:13:23 pm »
wEeLz will be first to tell you that others have caught up and surpassed this thing quickly.
Wasn't there a comparison test with this, the CX-3 and HR-V not long ago...and the Crosstrek won. 
I'm not calling the Crosstrek a bad vehicle, but the powertrain and interior tech are still ageing more rapidly than a new for 2013 model should.

Choose your pick for the comparison tests:
MotorTrend: http://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/the-big-test-2015-2016-subcompact-crossovers/
--> Crosstrek>CX-3>Renegade>HRV>Trax>Juke

Autos.ca: http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-subcompact-crossovers-suvs/?all=1
--> Crosstrek>HRV>CX-3>Tucson>Trax>Juke>RVR>500X>Renegade

Both of those comparos are getting old, though none of the other entrants have been updated.  That said, the Crosstrek's wins were because of an overall good value, never for praise of its powertrain or interior tech appointments.  It's just a solid chassis, good fuel economy, and reasonably good value.

Back in 2013, the Corolla was easily one of the least loved compact sedans.  Nowadays?  The Corolla is back near the top.  Gotta keep updating to stay competitive.

Sometimes though, you don't need luxury, tech, or many options.  For $25K it's still an absolute killer deal.  Given how focused everyone on this site is about long term car financing, a young person/couple could buy one of these, start a family, pay the car off very quickly, and it would still run for years.  The value alone makes this car so worth it.

(Not directed at you Noah) The hypocrisy of everyone lusting after the $50K-$90K cars and then berating anyone not paying immediately in cash (I exaggerate) is hilarious.   :P ;D :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »
(Not directed at you Noah) The hypocrisy of everyone lusting after the $50K-$90K cars and then berating anyone not paying immediately in cash (I exaggerate) is hilarious.   :P ;D :rofl2:

:rofl2:

Yeah, the reality is that a $25K car is what most people SHOULD be buying.  My little city has among the highest income level of any city in Canada, so I get why I see traffic jams of expensive car/SUVs, but in Edmonton proper, I can't believe how many $40-60K car/trucks I see. 96 month car loans and upside down financing and on and on - it's ridiculous.

The CrossTrek is too small for us right now, but I can certainly see a point where it will be perfect for us.  What a great package and based on how many I see, it's been a hot seller.