Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Mercedes-Benz B250 4Matic  (Read 14330 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Mercedes-Benz B250 4Matic
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 03:03:24 pm »
Well, I won't suggest to cross shop it with a Toyota iM (which may actually be not a bad choice) but if someone wants a luxury badge and a car/crossover thing that is superior in almost every spec, dimension, driving enjoyment and capability to this "Mercedes" and also beats it on the price, then look no farther than QX50. What the heck is QX50? It's an Infinity that is made right, the old school way. 300hp+ V6, RWD bias AWD, hydraulic steering, real leather seats, proper 7 spd auto. The only drawback is FE.
If the efficiency, innovation and green-ness are your top priorities, then Chevy Bolt it is. It actually looks better too imho. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AOdHQQkEr4
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:09:54 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 03:23:55 pm »
Well, I won't suggest to cross shop it with a Toyota iM (which may actually be not a bad choice) but if someone wants a luxury badge and a car/crossover thing that is superior in almost every spec, dimension, driving enjoyment and capability to this "Mercedes" and also beats it on the price, then look no farther than QX50. What the heck is QX50? It's an Infinity that is made right, the old school way. 300hp+ V6, RWD bias AWD, hydraulic steering, real leather seats, proper 7 spd auto. The only drawback is FE.
If the efficiency, innovation and green-ness are your top priorities, then Chevy Bolt it is. It actually looks better too imho. 

Forgot about the QX50! That's a good, fun crossover to have.  I liked the ride in my friend's EX35.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 03:33:37 pm »
But the B-Klasse is not a crossover. It is a honest MPV family vehicle.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 03:34:37 pm »

How does it beat it on price? It's $4k more.  ???

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 03:36:34 pm »

^ This!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »
Not quite MPV with just a 5 passenger capacity, but it's about Mazda 5 sized with significantly more cargo room than the Matrix.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 03:50:05 pm »
Not quite MPV with just a 5 passenger capacity, but it's about Mazda 5 sized with significantly more cargo room than the Matrix.
MPVs usually seat 5. This is not the North American minivan.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 03:51:12 pm »

^ This!

well, i bet qx50 isn't any taller than B-class.   benz calls their GLA  an SUV but it's not taller than my VW Rabbit.
it's really a hatchback.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 03:57:14 pm »

^ This!

well, i bet qx50 isn't any taller than B-class.   benz calls their GLA  an SUV but it's not taller than my VW Rabbit.
it's really a hatchback.
Mercedes has their A-Klasse as the VW Golf competitor. The B and Golf Sportsvan are stilted MPV versions thereof.

GLA competes with others such as the Audi Q3 and BMW X1.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 03:59:24 pm »

How does it beat it on price? It's $4k more.  ???

I was looking at $43,121 at the end of the article. There is currently 2,500 cash discount on the base QX50. Let's just say the price is comparable, given the standard Infiniti will have AWD and leather.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 04:19:31 pm »
This place is funny.

Today
MB 250 - Don't buy that, get a Matrix

Tomorrow
Toyota Matrix - Don't buy that, it old and slow.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 04:27:32 pm »

Right, I was thinking specifically of the European version of an MPV, which this thing is: narrower than the US minivan, yes, but still highly space-efficient - an adjective never, i don't believe, ever used to describe a crossover ;)

it's really a hatchback.

It may not be taller but where's the ground clearance? Point being, the GLA and its ilk don't have the same cargo capacity relative to their footprint as does the B-class.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 12:35:14 pm »
You guys forgot to mention the other Canuck-only MPV:

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 01:06:40 pm »
^ More sensible option. The B class, GLA and CLA have a poor reliability record.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 02:22:38 pm »
$34k for AWD, dual clutch, and 258lbs./ft torque in a stylish mini-MPV? How is that not a good value? If you're that scared of reliability, lease it (which most people will, i'm guessing).

Add $2250 for Freight/PDI, $500 Admin Fee, $800 for first 3 mandatory oil changes (1 per year), $475. XM  ::)   PLUS HST on all that.

equals one hefty lease payment for the stripper unit.  And better live close to a Dealer because these units are repair Queens.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 03:24:33 pm »
^ More sensible option. The B class, GLA and CLA have a poor reliability record.

Kia Rondo? Seems like a nice-looking, very sensible MPV. But if you want power and AWD and some premium features here and there - having just looked at the Rondo's specs - the Kia doesn’t seem to remotely fit that bill.

It comes down to priorities. Do you want some driving enjoyment and extra sure-footedness of AWD? No? Then buy the Rondo. You do want that stuff? Well until the Koreans or Japanese deliver that product, it would appear one has to “pay to play” and endure the higher sticker price and maintenance fees of the B-class. Ye pays yer money…

$34k for AWD, dual clutch, and 258lbs./ft torque in a stylish mini-MPV? How is that not a good value? If you're that scared of reliability, lease it (which most people will, i'm guessing).

Add $2250 for Freight/PDI, $500 Admin Fee, $800 for first 3 mandatory oil changes (1 per year), $475. XM  ::)   PLUS HST on all that.

equals one hefty lease payment for the stripper unit.  And better live close to a Dealer because these units are repair Queens.

OK, but aren’t those sorts of incidental costs common amongst other European marques? If so, see my point above…

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 11:41:27 am »
Tom bought a B250 so maybe he can chime in with his experience so far.

http://wildsau.ca/2014/08/review-2014-mercedes-benz-b250/

Hey everyone - yep, that was our own vehicle in my review.

It was my wife's daily driver when we bought it (it has been replaced by a 2014 E63 wagon, so the B doesn't see as much driving now but remains part of our family) and we've had it for about two and a half years. So far it has been flawless, in terms of quality and reliability. We pre-purchased the (rather expensive) service package, which saves us a ton of money on the first 4 services, which will take us through the first 4 years of ownership, at which point we are likely to replace the vehicle.

Fuel economy has stabilized and averages at around 8.8 L/100 km with virtually all city driving. The car has been on the highway literally three times in its life. As an urban warrior, it really excels. Easy to drive, comfortable, efficient enough, plenty of power, lots of room in the cabin and in the trunk.

Obviously I would prefer to have the current 4Matic version, but we've fared very well with good winter tires and if I had to choose between winter rubber and AWD, I would always go for good tires. So we have no complaints with our front-wheel driver in the winters. The run-flats that come with the car are the biggest compromise. The hard sidewalls make the ride quite harsh over bumps and God forbid you meet a pothole. I recommend replacing them immediately with good summer tires and good winter tires - we actually got surprising credit money from the tire shop for our brand-new run-flats that they took in trade. It makes a big change in the vehicle's road noise and ride quality.

Is this an E-class? Of course not, and Mercedes doesn't sell it as one. It's a nice little MPV that works very well for small families. We have three kids that spend about 5 minutes in the car each way (to and from school) and we can easily get them all in the back comfortably for a shopping trip too. I would hesitate to take more than 4 people on a road trip in it, but that's not an issue we have.

If it had been available as such, I would have bought it in all-wheel drive (4Matic wasn't available for our model year) and with a diesel powertrain (only Europe gets those - the B250 is the top-of-the-line there, and when we were in Europe the summer after we bought it, people thought we were totally rich because we had bought the Richie Rich petrol B-class - haha!) One thing to note - as with other brands, you'll find incredible rebates/reductions on MBs at certain times of the year. We've seen $10,000 off the B-class price in our newspaper when the model year is coming to an end. That makes it a much better entry price.

I would absolutely buy this car again, and had we not come across a stellar deal on my wife's new daily driver which was also her dream ride, she'd still be driving it every day. She loves it and sometimes opts to take it out instead of her E-wagon. 

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 12:11:08 pm »
Forget the B250, tell me more about that '14 E63 Wagon!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 12:12:53 pm »
^^^^  I agree with the above.    I bought mine before we knew that mrs tpl's leg was not going to be temporary and that we'd need to carry the walker around forever ( The magic seats in the Fit are PERFECT for that but then it is a two seater) and it just was not quite big enough for that.   The only flaw I found was that it took forever to warm up in winter.
If the 4-matic version had been available I would have bought that.    I liked the DSG style transmission, the engine output was fine and I rather liked the gearshift as well.   One irritating thing tho'    The rear indicators were red, in fact the car just lit up the brake light on that side. BUT in the cluster there were a whole row of amber LEDS which were not used for anything.  I spent a happy hour with patch wires and they really did light up nice bright amber.   The wiring change required was not complex but did require running new wires  and might have required the dealer to do some reprogramming.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 01:13:10 pm »
Let's see if i've got this meme thing figured out: