Author Topic: It is done.  (Read 41916 times)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: It is done.
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2017, 12:54:11 pm »
Smart key is a pretty great thing to have once you live with it.  I still miss it from my 2009 Altima.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2017, 02:34:36 pm »
So been driving the MDX again as my wife is travelling and I"m doing daycare runs. Left it in sport mode the whole time. I'm starting to understand this car a bit more. Its actually pretty entertaining. Better throttle response, much better exhaust noise, and more torque vectoring when you put it in Sport mode. Also heavier steering with no slop.

It still feels very heavy on the nose but it handles quite well for the beast it is. I would say its more of a "brute force" kind of feel. They need to do a small V6 turbo and shift the weight balance. I wonder if SHAWD can work with full time RWD bias?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2017, 05:12:28 pm »
1 year update.

Car is still pretty meh. Nice motor that sounds good and handles pretty well for the beast it is.

But for the price paid it is really uninspiring. I think the George W Bush era infotainment is pretty unacceptable for a 2017 car. Plus our GPS doesn't work every so often and the dealer can't fix it (plus I don't have the time to deal with it).

Would definitely not buy it again. Its worth ~$50k, not $65k. My wife's pick but even she begrudgingly admits that it was a mistake.

Some how it still sells by the bucketload. I have a theory that since Acura pretty much only sells MDX and RDX models, they have to squeeze as much profit out of those as they can, so they decontent. Why is the infotainment such :censor:? Why no pana-roof? Why no 40/20/40 seats? Why on a "family" car do you only get rear door handle sensors for keyless entry if you go up to the Tech/Elite package? Why does it have 2010 tier adaptive cruise control?

Still they have figured out a formula so good for them. Car looks good with those LEDs, interior looks nice, has a 360 degree camera, should be reliable and historically strong resale, priced substantially lower than the Germans for a "luxury" marque that will play well at their upper middle class suburban yuppie get togethers. Doesn't look like you're trying too hard either.

If someone offered me a straight up swap for the MDX against a 2017+ Explorer Platinum I'd take it.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2017, 09:13:15 am »
If someone offered me a straight up swap for the MDX against a 2017+ Explorer Platinum I'd take it.

Go for it.I'm sure you will find some problems with the Ford though. ;)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2017, 01:54:36 pm »
Something weird happened this morning that reminded me of other weirdness.

So 3 times in the last few weeks the car has failed to shift from R to D on the first button press. It just stays in Reverse. Have to press a 2nd time. Thought it was fluke at first but happened to me twice and again to my wife once.

And this morning when pulling away from a stop (turning right) I pressed on the gas but got no throttle response for a good 1.5 seconds.

It's been cold, but come on. If this happens 2 more times the car goes.

Bad infotainment is annoying. But this baloney is a safety issue.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2017, 01:55:47 pm »

So 3 times in the last few weeks the car has failed to shift from R to D on the first button press. It just stays in Reverse. Have to press a 2nd time. Thought it was fluke at first but happened to me twice and again to my wife once.

And this morning when pulling away from a stop (turning right) I pressed on the gas but got no throttle response for a good 1.5 seconds.

Sounds like some tranny programming issues.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2017, 03:24:31 pm »
Does this only happen when cold? 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2017, 03:30:32 pm »
I love Honda and think they make some great products, but their automatics seem to be hit and miss, and have been for some time.  It's easily the weakest point in many of their products spanning twenty years now.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2017, 03:39:18 pm »
#shouldabottalexus

;D

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2017, 03:51:35 pm »

Go get that Explorer Platinum :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »
Think I figured out the non shifting. If you press the button and release too quickly it doesn't register. Have to hold it down a bit.

Stupid design. But also strange that it's just starting to be an issue.... We've had the car for a year now.

The lack of throttle response remains a mystery.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2017, 03:57:37 pm »
Think I figured out the non shifting. If you press the button and release too quickly it doesn't register. Have to hold it down a bit.

Stupid design. But also strange that it's just starting to be an issue.... We've had the car for a year now.

Looks like it’s a common issue based off Acura forums, some also experience a brief loss of steering...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2017, 03:58:47 pm »

Looks like it’s a common issue based off Acura forums, some also experience a brief loss of steering...

Got a link?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2017, 04:17:27 pm »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2017, 05:35:31 pm »
Seems like it's "Acura messed up days" in Canada.  My neighbour across the street got a new MDX just a couple of days ago, and left it sitting outside last night at -36C, and so this morning it wouldn't start.  His Ford F150 company truck was frozen solid too.  He needed to get somewhere, so I boosted the truck, and he left.

He got home, boosted the MDX, got it started, and now the malfunction light is on.  (aka Check Engine Light)

His wife is going to drive it on some errands this afternoon, and if it's still on when she gets home, I'll read the codes for them.

Uh, hey guys, block heater extension cords?  My HL had no issues at all, warmed up quickly, thank you Mr. Block Heater!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2017, 08:08:07 pm »

Uh, hey guys, block heater extension cords?  My HL had no issues at all, warmed up quickly, thank you Mr. Block Heater!
What is a block heater  ???  ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2017, 08:11:20 pm »

What is a block heater  ???  ;D

Yeah!  It's nice here in the COTU.  We only have to worry about -22C or so (without the windchill), and the vehicles do ok.   ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2017, 08:42:50 pm »
I was going to say...extremely cold...almost behaving like tranny fluid is syrupy thick...or low.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2017, 12:38:50 am »
The MDX had a random misfire code, cleared it, his wife drove it around all evening, stayed off.  Must have tripped it when it was angry about being started in the very cold.

$70K sounds like a lot for an MDX, but it seemed pretty nice - though the black interior felt really somber to me.  She said there's a "saddle" coloured one, but isn't really a lot lighter.  One thing I like about the RX is the quite light coloured interior you can get.  The owners gripes?  She said the 20" snow tires were expensive and that the dealer acted like they were doing her a favour selling her a new car.