Author Topic: It is done.  (Read 41928 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: It is done.
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 09:52:57 pm »
^^Can't shut off the auto-dim feature?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 10:06:22 pm »
I'm wondering if there is a plug that can be pulled from behind the glass. Hope its separate from the heated mirrors as can't really give that up.

Alternatively, I could buy the OEM non dimming version (ie: base model mirrors) but still heated.

The other hilarious thing is that there is about a 1cm strip all around the edge of the glass that doesn't dim. So when cars move around you get random headlight flashes as it goes from bright to dark and then bright again. I don't understand the attraction of this feature honestly.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 10:07:14 pm »
I wonder if your reverse lights are just covered up with winter crud?  I always found hatch type vehicles were more prone to this. 

At the other end, the headlights on the new acuras are the brightest I've ever been blinded by!  I passed a new RDX a few nights ago and the dink didn't turn off his high beams.  I was pissed, of course, but also impressed by how incredibly bright they were!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:08:50 pm by KDS2K »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 10:18:45 pm »
Yeah the headlights are impressive, both low and high beams. I don't find the lows to be blinding (have seen more than a few LED shod Acuras around here head on) but I'd imagine the highs are not pleasant to drive towards.

THe Volvo and the GLK both have good HID setups (adaptive lights, separate cornering lamps, BiXenon + halogen high beam fill etc.) but the Acura LEDs are just really impressive even though they lack the extra features).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 10:22:12 pm »
Just pop in some LED bulbs in the reverse lights.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2017, 05:07:04 am »
I agree about dimming outside mirrors.   The Q5 did that. I bought the aspherical mirrors that are heated but not dimmed...much better.  Yes there were two separate connections on the mirrors , one for heat and one for dim.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2017, 05:09:09 pm »
Thanks for the impressions.  I would not buy a current version of MDX solely based on the infotainment system.

Strangely for my 2nd gen, I am able to enter new destinations while driving, even by address.  They must have changed in for the 3rd gen.
I don't notice the exterior mirror edges not dimming. I agree it's hard to see at night with the dimming plus relatively dark tint. 

And yeah, the reverse lights don't brighten up the rear enough for backing up.  It's an issue with dark parking lots.
I know some people swap in brighter LEDs, but even that didn't help much for them.  I think it's the quality of the camera in low light conditions.  They need higher exposure for nighttime use.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2017, 05:33:36 pm »
The camera assuming its not grimed up is actually quite good. Really nice picture for practical use. They did a good job overall on that front.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 06:00:45 pm »
The camera assuming its not grimed up is actually quite good. Really nice picture for practical use. They did a good job overall on that front.

My camera is really good too..in all light conditions.  Mine's integral with the trunk lid and just peeks out.  Not sure if that helps it see in the dark better.

But no issue in that regard.

Where is yours located?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 10:44:02 pm »
Under a sort of lip thing, near the license plate. Next to the button to release the hatch.

2 box machines seem to get more grime on the rear view camera in my experience. Not sure why. Have to make a habit of cleaning it off every so often.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2017, 07:51:22 am »
Under a sort of lip thing, near the license plate. Next to the button to release the hatch.

2 box machines seem to get more grime on the rear view camera in my experience. Not sure why. Have to make a habit of cleaning it off every so often.

I keep a spray bottle with washer fluid in my wife's car and just squirt a little on a napkin and wipe the lens off with that.  She never cleans it! 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2017, 03:04:09 pm »

A quick rub with the snow cleans the camera lens well enough when it's grimed up when a napkin isn't available, too. :)

I don't like how my trunk gets so dirty just a few days after a wash. I'm glad to have power hatch these days.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2017, 10:54:38 pm »
7 weeks now. I have realized that this car doesn't do much for me (of course, it isn't my car, its my wife's pick mostly). It drives pretty decently but the infotainment sucks donkey nuts and the general feeling of modernity isn't quite there.

I think if it were up to me I'd have gotten the Explorer Platinum. More cargo space, 365hp, high tech interior, SYNC3 + Android Auto, pana roof, massaging seats, runs on regular gas, good deal cheaper to boot...plus it looks badass.

I think the lesson learned is that a top-spec mainstream brand (Explorer/Pilot are my favs in this segment) is probably a better deal than the tweener Acura. Yes the MDX has some definite wins in terms of overall refinement, but honestly I didn't find that the Ford/Honda were very far behind at all. The Honda especially is a fly in the ointment as its basically the same thing. I thought the interior overall of the Ford was equal to that of the Acura (some parts better some parts worse).

Go big or go home I think. Volvo has gone upmarket so its a different kettle now, pretty much just leaves the MDX in the semi-luxury category.

Yeah, the lack of a pana roof and the awful infotainment just really bugs me.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2017, 10:29:58 pm »
7 weeks now. I have realized that this car doesn't do much for me (of course, it isn't my car, its my wife's pick mostly). It drives pretty decently but the infotainment sucks donkey nuts and the general feeling of modernity isn't quite there.

I think if it were up to me I'd have gotten the Explorer Platinum. More cargo space, 365hp, high tech interior, SYNC3 + Android Auto, pana roof, massaging seats, runs on regular gas, good deal cheaper to boot...plus it looks badass.

I think the lesson learned is that a top-spec mainstream brand (Explorer/Pilot are my favs in this segment) is probably a better deal than the tweener Acura. Yes the MDX has some definite wins in terms of overall refinement, but honestly I didn't find that the Ford/Honda were very far behind at all. The Honda especially is a fly in the ointment as its basically the same thing. I thought the interior overall of the Ford was equal to that of the Acura (some parts better some parts worse).

Go big or go home I think. Volvo has gone upmarket so its a different kettle now, pretty much just leaves the MDX in the semi-luxury category.

Yeah, I wouldn't go for the new Acuras until they vastly improve on the infortainment front.

The important thing is, is your wife okay with it?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2017, 08:43:26 am »

No panoramic sunroof? I thought only Mazda was behind the ball on that front.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2017, 11:31:43 am »

No panoramic sunroof? I thought only Mazda was behind the ball on that front.

Honda with the top-mounted rear seat entertainment screen...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2017, 06:46:12 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't go for the new Acuras until they vastly improve on the infortainment front.

The important thing is, is your wife okay with it?

The wife remains pleased. I just want it to do the job and be relatively easy on my wallet from here on out to ~8 years.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2017, 12:44:00 pm »
A happy wife is good to have.   :D
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2017, 03:07:13 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMw3FNEFMz0

Almost perfectly sums up my thoughts about the car. Agree with his list wholeheartedly to the point where I pretty much predicted the entire thing before watching the video.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2017, 10:57:13 pm »
I still like the new MDX but seriously dislike the infotainment system. It's worse than my generation and my generation is really old. Other than that it's fine although there are some "je ne said quoi" item in my gen that make it feel more premium - not sure if actually true but how I feel.

I feel more strongly about the new TLX vs my TL. I actually think my TL is better than the new TLX. Honestly, they would have had a winner if all they did was improve the automatic tranny, give it a slight bump in power and slight weight reduction, and update the infotainment. Would have been great.
It wouldn't be an Acura if it didn't have some half fatal flaw.

The last gen MDX never had a smart key right?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk