Author Topic: 2017 Elantra Sport ~ 200hp and 6 sp. manual.  (Read 16164 times)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Elantra Sport ~ 200hp and 6 sp. manual.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 09:26:38 am »
   I'm not into comparing all single aspects with other vehicles...I'm looking at the total package and what I see is a very desirable vehicle indeed. Not over the top in any aspect and in a suitable colour could well be a valued item for many. A little practical in-expensive sleeper.

Elegant.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 02:29:11 pm »
I'd be surprised if the Si is that cheap. A Civic Sport hatchback is $25k.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 03:15:11 pm »
Interesting comparison with the Civic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9gzsSgVejA

I found it both interesting and surprising. Almost a "roll reversal" to pre-determined thinking, eg: Elantra has better steering, more sporty suspension, more conservative styling, Civic is quiet and has better ride. And isn't the Civic turbo available with a manual, if not right now, soon?

I'm even thinking these two models aren't that comparable, and with the Civic si coming out, will the price be lots higher than the Elantra (I would expect so). And will Honda break with tradition and offer an optional non-cvt automatic in an si.

Stupid comparison.  The Elantra Sport will compete directly with the Civic SI.

Why stupid - because you said so?  In this test the Elantra Sport was already less costly than the loaded regular Civic - by $2,500.   You think buyers at that price point will feel obliged to ignore it because you say it can only be measured against the SI?

Yes, it's stupid because I said so.

Price is irrelevant here as the Hyundai will always be cheaper (because it is..uh...cheaper).

Disagree entirely!  When car shopping, I do not know any car buyers that consider price irrelevant.   I'd put money on this car stealing some sales from non SI Civic buyers. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 03:25:14 pm »
We will agree on one thing, you will need some serious $$ to pay for the difference between an Elantra Sport and a Civic SI. Big money. And if Honda doesn't fix their inferior steering and improve its non sporty suspension on the 1.5 turbo Civic (see above noted review), then the SI will start out behind in the comparison.
The Civic SI will start behind in price. But will be ahead in sportiness, shifter, interior etc.

And if you're buying an SI...It's safe to assume those items are important for you if you're looking for a hot pocket rocket.

However, if you're interested in nothing more than bang for the buck, the Elantra will always win.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:27:31 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »
Price does not matter with this car in most cases,
it is $ per month that moves the metal

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 04:05:46 pm »

I found it both interesting and surprising. Almost a "roll reversal" to pre-determined thinking, eg: Elantra has better steering, more sporty suspension, more conservative styling, Civic is quiet and has better ride. And isn't the Civic turbo available with a manual, if not right now, soon?

I'm even thinking these two models aren't that comparable, and with the Civic si coming out, will the price be lots higher than the Elantra (I would expect so). And will Honda break with tradition and offer an optional non-cvt automatic in an si.

Why stupid - because you said so?  In this test the Elantra Sport was already less costly than the loaded regular Civic - by $2,500.   You think buyers at that price point will feel obliged to ignore it because you say it can only be measured against the SI?

Price is irrelevant here as the Hyundai will always be cheaper (because it is..uh...cheaper).

Disagree entirely!  When car shopping, I do not know any car buyers that consider price irrelevant.   I'd put money on this car stealing some sales from non SI Civic buyers.

How would the car steal sales from NON SI Civic buyers?  If a buyer is not an SI buyer how does he / she get swayed from buying one?  Ergo, double WTF?

Because as Jaegar pointed out, in this test the Elantra Sport is $2500 cheaper than a loaded regular Civic.  So given that, yeah I can certainly see it stealing some sales from regular Civic buyers let alone SI buyers. 

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 04:12:09 pm »
But Cadure thinks a comparably equipped Civic SI will be $ 500- cheaper than a regular loaded Civic, said so above! Because its " expected to". Must be then, oracle of all knowledge. Or shall we wait and see instead, or is there no point in doing that as we are all ergo double WTFs. ???

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 06:24:34 pm »
We will agree on one thing, you will need some serious $$ to pay for the difference between an Elantra Sport and a Civic SI. Big money. And if Honda doesn't fix their inferior steering and improve its non sporty suspension on the 1.5 turbo Civic (see above noted review), then the SI will start out behind in the comparison.

"Big Money" ??  I guess we would have different definitions of that.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 06:51:43 pm »
But Cadure thinks a comparably equipped Civic SI will be $ 500- cheaper than a regular loaded Civic, said so above! Because its " expected to". Must be then, oracle of all knowledge. Or shall we wait and see instead, or is there no point in doing that as we are all ergo double WTFs. ???

Well there looks to be a $1900 difference, not $2500, and that is with the Civic being a CVT.  The SI Sedan was priced right on top of the EX 4DR CVT Touring so I should be close.

But once again, as you are patiently ignoring, the Civic SI will come with more performance options of which the Hyundai will not so you won't be getting something for nothing...LSD, optional adaptive suspension, big brake kit....

Why so obtuse?

You repeatedly quote pricing yet I can't find pricing for an SI. I can't see if it does have a mechanical diff which I agree would be great. More important, I can't verify that you are comparing comparably equipped vehicles with your pricing. Saying pricing enough times without Canadian pricing being available doesn't make it so. With all that, when you use terms like stupid comparison and ergo double WTF, it comes across confrontational, like spamming a thread. Does that explain the reactions?

I hope Honda can bring a mechanical diff and similiar options and features to compare against this car at the price points you are talking about. That would be a compelling alternative for sure. I just think the difference will be much greater, and yes Layne, enough difference to be called big money. We will see.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12434
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 10:49:01 pm »

"Price is irrelevant" - man, that made me lol SO hard,!  :rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 10:54:14 pm »

Yup. Would be so awesome if the SI turns out to be cheaper than the regular turbo Civic. Spectacularly unlikely, but totally awesome.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2017, 11:14:17 pm »

"Price is irrelevant" - man, that made me lol SO hard,!  :rofl2:

Totally wish my bank account thought that prices were irrelevant.........I might have a new Aston in my driveway next week.   ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2017, 11:14:55 pm »
Import duty from UK .... 6% ?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 08:28:06 pm »
In 18 months, it will be interesting to see what the 24 month lease rates will be?  The Hyundai ones are often tempting, sometimes the Chevy ones as well.  An Elantra GT under $200 tax in a month, $0 down was pretty appealing.  Just to drive something different...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:49 pm »
In 18 months, it will be interesting to see what the 24 month lease rates will be?  The Hyundai ones are often tempting, sometimes the Chevy ones as well.  An Elantra GT under $200 tax in a month, $0 down was pretty appealing.  Just to drive something different...

It would be a punchy and practical ride, I expect.  Plus you get to stick with a manual.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 10:51:53 pm »
I see some of the standard (non TECH) versions are now at various dealerships, yet I still haven't seen any full road tests by any source. I'm keen to see full test drives and check out a TECH DCT version when it comes available.

The Kia GT is longer/bigger than what I'm willing to look at, and likely it uses the same platform as the future G70. Therefore the odds are high that the G70 is not something I should wait for, as I have been doing. It is likely to be in a different size bracket than the other cars I've been looking at; BMW 2 series (174.7" long), 3 series (182.5"), S3 (175.9"), A4 (186.1").

I test drove a BMW 240i X-Drive and its awesome, a dream. Fantastic visibility everywhere, strong motor perfectly matched with the tranny, both comfortable and great handling at the same time (it had 18's all around, not the staggered 19" F/R wheel/tires), perfect size for me. Slightly inconvenient getting in and out - its low and the B pillar vs. door gap seems to be "a bit off", even with the seat pushed back. I would live with it but not sure if my wife would... But reality is, it will take over $ 51k cash plus my car to get it, with a huge chunk of that being made up of PDI, Admin, GST  :-\

"Reality" in the form of what I need and want vs. what I lust after brings me back to the Elantra Sport's value for money. All in, its about $ 10k less than a GTi with fairly similar options (partially courtesy of the extra GST on a more expensive car, VW's added Admin/Frt/PDI). And it has a good sized trunk to fully hide luggage as only a sedan can (not counting the Audi S3 or ATS which don't), plus things I want like a spare tire & jack, sunroof, wheels no larger than 18" and no smaller aspect ratio than 40 (unlike Golf R).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:26:00 am by dougjp »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 02:31:38 pm »
And it has a good sized trunk to fully hide luggage as only a sedan can

Huge consideration for me although you need a vehicle that can deactivate the interior trunk opener.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 08:45:26 pm »
Most hatchbacks come with a cargo cover to hide luggage, etc.

That doesn't prevent theft.....IMO.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 08:58:02 pm »
Most hatchbacks come with a cargo cover to hide luggage, etc.

That doesn't prevent theft.....IMO.

You can exclude the "IMO".  Cargo cover is useless.  With a trunk that has a lock out feature, one may still get there window smashed in, which of course should be punishable by death, but they don't get away with your computer, booze  :D, cash and rifle/shotgun if you're so disposed.  I took a Saab 900 across Canada to BC on a trip and it bothered me every time we stopped at some remote place to take a hike, etc. and that includes downtown Brandon   :)

My Mustang doesn't have a lockout feature.  Really annoying and quite stupid .... FORD!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 09:00:41 pm »
Although I guess if you really want to see what is in the trunk you can always break a window and pop it.

You're not understanding.  Some vehicles come with a lock function which disables the usual dash release button.  Up till 2012 Camrys and other Toyotas had a beautiful mechanical lock out key cylinder in the trunk.