Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1163623 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #8400 on: October 02, 2024, 05:54:02 pm »
Our dryer just kicked the bucket and damn near became a house fire.  I’ve replaced the belt and bearings twice to keep it going but this time the coil/elements were broken off in the back and set a small amount of lint on fire.  Luckily my wife was right there when it happened.  It’s just over 10 years old so I guess that’s about as much as you can expect. 

Of course this coincides with my wife leaving for NL for two weeks on Friday.  Before people ask, no I am not going to attempt to repair this.  If an appliance starts shooting flames, it’s time to retire it, all trust has been lost.

Ya best to turf it.

That's not much life out of a dryer, considering you don't have kids.  I sold our last Maytag a year ago, it was just shy of 20 years old.  Never touched it with regards to repairs and it worked like new.  We replaced the washer and thought the dryer can't have much left in it so I sold it for a 2-4 of beer. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8401 on: October 02, 2024, 06:28:11 pm »
Our dryer just kicked the bucket and damn near became a house fire.  I’ve replaced the belt and bearings twice to keep it going but this time the coil/elements were broken off in the back and set a small amount of lint on fire.  Luckily my wife was right there when it happened.  It’s just over 10 years old so I guess that’s about as much as you can expect. 

Of course this coincides with my wife leaving for NL for two weeks on Friday.  Before people ask, no I am not going to attempt to repair this.  If an appliance starts shooting flames, it’s time to retire it, all trust has been lost.

Ya best to turf it.

That's not much life out of a dryer, considering you don't have kids.  I sold our last Maytag a year ago, it was just shy of 20 years old.  Never touched it with regards to repairs and it worked like new.  We replaced the washer and thought the dryer can't have much left in it so I sold it for a 2-4 of beer.
Oh the dryer before that was a solid 15+ years old.  I just think they don’t make them like they used to.  Checked out prices online and going with the cheapest one I found, $499 at The Brick, if it lasts the same 10 years no big deal.

No kids that’s for sure but two short hair dogs and the bulk of the lint is loaded with their fur.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8402 on: October 02, 2024, 07:07:05 pm »
If an appliance starts shooting flames, it’s time to retire it, all trust has been lost.

Hey, do you want your clothes dry or not?   :rofl2:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #8403 on: October 02, 2024, 08:36:17 pm »

Could replace the element, not too hard. Ours did something similar, but not as drastic, I took it apart & repaired the element myself.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: October 02, 2024, 10:18:20 pm »

Could replace the element, not too hard. Ours did something similar, but not as drastic, I took it apart & repaired the element myself.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
I heard you make house calls?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...