Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1131777 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #8340 on: August 05, 2024, 03:26:37 pm »
Dammit, I need a new phone.  My 3 year old Motorola does everything well except work as a phone.  It'll way too often go straight to voicemail without ringing.  I can test it 4 times in a row and it works, 5 minutes later it's not ringing again.  I've disabled the Do not Disturb, new SIM, on Lucky Mobile, but it's Bell networks and I can see the tower from here.

Think I'll get a value priced Motorola 5G 2024, supposed to work well for the price.  I'm way too cheap to buy a top of the line smartphone, hell, I almost lost this one out the Miata window at the track last week when it flew out of the dash mount on a left turn
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: August 05, 2024, 06:56:30 pm »
Dammit, I need a new phone.  My 3 year old Motorola does everything well except work as a phone.  It'll way too often go straight to voicemail without ringing.  I can test it 4 times in a row and it works, 5 minutes later it's not ringing again.  I've disabled the Do not Disturb, new SIM, on Lucky Mobile, but it's Bell networks and I can see the tower from here.

Think I'll get a value priced Motorola 5G 2024, supposed to work well for the price.  I'm way too cheap to buy a top of the line smartphone, hell, I almost lost this one out the Miata window at the track last week when it flew out of the dash mount on a left turn
Buy a used phone. There are a few used phone dealers here.

That's what I did as I was similar to you (didn't want/need super-duper expensive cell phone).

Bought a nice used Galaxy S20 which does everything I need.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8342 on: August 06, 2024, 09:49:47 am »
Ordered a carport from Costco about two weeks ago, shipping company picks it up in Quebec, then within a day drives it past our city to Moncton about 200kms away, has been sitting there since July 28th, and we had a long weekend that would have been ideal to put it together.  I think I will call them tomorrow to see if they intend to use the entire 15 business days to deliver or if they plan on actually exceeding the minimum required.
Update:  Called them this morning to get some sort of update, turns out the package has been in the city since July 29th.  The lady called the location here to see what the holdup was, I was on hold for a good long time, I'm thinking she was chewing them out for not delivering it sooner, when she came back on the line she told me that it would be delivered this afternoon.  I should have called them last Friday.  Lord knows when I would have got it had I not picked up the phone and called them.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: August 06, 2024, 12:46:16 pm »

Buy a used phone. There are a few used phone dealers here.

That's what I did as I was similar to you (didn't want/need super-duper expensive cell phone).

Bought a nice used Galaxy S20 which does everything I need.

X2 on the used phone. You can often find new phones on FB Marketplace. I picked up my Pixel 7 for $325, brand new.  Really enjoying it. The camera is great.

I've bought lightly used phones a couple of times with no issues.

I'm hard on my phones though, so that factors into my decision.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8344 on: August 06, 2024, 01:05:53 pm »
Ordered a carport from Costco about two weeks ago, shipping company picks it up in Quebec, then within a day drives it past our city to Moncton about 200kms away, has been sitting there since July 28th, and we had a long weekend that would have been ideal to put it together.  I think I will call them tomorrow to see if they intend to use the entire 15 business days to deliver or if they plan on actually exceeding the minimum required.
Update:  Called them this morning to get some sort of update, turns out the package has been in the city since July 29th.  The lady called the location here to see what the holdup was, I was on hold for a good long time, I'm thinking she was chewing them out for not delivering it sooner, when she came back on the line she told me that it would be delivered this afternoon.  I should have called them last Friday.  Lord knows when I would have got it had I not picked up the phone and called them.

There's videos on youtube where a guy puts airtags on packages and sends them to various destinations, it's quite a story. You'd think shipping things would be straightforward but sometimes it's very much not

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8345 on: August 08, 2024, 12:09:41 pm »
FFS, ordered a phone, it came yesterday but I missed the delivery by 10 minutes so it went somewhere for pickup today, but the note they left didn't tell me where.  Contacted Canpar  and they can't tell me where to pick it up or if it's indeed not still on a truck, said try back tomorrow.  WTF?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8346 on: August 08, 2024, 01:07:49 pm »
FFS, ordered a phone, it came yesterday but I missed the delivery by 10 minutes so it went somewhere for pickup today, but the note they left didn't tell me where.  Contacted Canpar  and they can't tell me where to pick it up or if it's indeed not still on a truck, said try back tomorrow.  WTF?

Can't say I'm a fan of Canpar for consumer stuff - they're great for shipping large items cheaply, but for smaller stuff, they're just annoying to deal with.  Not really customer focused or consumer-centric.  I think they're more for business to business, courier type shipments. 

Years ago a friend of ours shipped a few boxes of baby clothes to us through Canpar, as it was significantly cheaper than using Fedex or UPS or any of the other big players.  Canpar tried delivery during the day (when nobody was home), then brought the boxes back to their warehouse.  I had something like 3 days to pick up the parcel from their warehouse, the rub being it was only open for like 2 hours a day twice a week, right in the middle of the work day, and located all the way across town.  The alternative was for me to pay a fee for them to reattempt delivery. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: August 08, 2024, 01:39:37 pm »

Can't say I'm a fan of Canpar for consumer stuff - they're great for shipping large items cheaply, but for smaller stuff, they're just annoying to deal with.  Not really customer focused or consumer-centric.  I think they're more for business to business, courier type shipments. 

Years ago a friend of ours shipped a few boxes of baby clothes to us through Canpar, as it was significantly cheaper than using Fedex or UPS or any of the other big players.  Canpar tried delivery during the day (when nobody was home), then brought the boxes back to their warehouse.  I had something like 3 days to pick up the parcel from their warehouse, the rub being it was only open for like 2 hours a day twice a week, right in the middle of the work day, and located all the way across town.  The alternative was for me to pay a fee for them to reattempt delivery.

I knew a guy who worked for Sony, he was quite upset with Canpar when a couple of broadcast quality cameras somehow went missing off one of their trucks and they didn't really care.  These were $80k cameras in the late '80s
Thieves probably had to dump them as they were not consumer market.

On the Canpar website they say the address of the Kingston terminal is Gardiner's Rd, but if you look on their map on the same page it's across town on Dalton Ave,
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 01:43:57 pm by blur911 »

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8348 on: August 08, 2024, 01:48:09 pm »
You guys are making me nervous because I just ordered some gym equipment with Canpar doing the delivery.  Hoping it doesn't turn into a :censor: show.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: August 09, 2024, 01:00:29 pm »
Still don't know where my phone is.  CANPAR chatbot is less than useless, no human to answer questions.

While I'm waiting for a human I'm posting everywhere about how bad CANPAR is.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8350 on: August 09, 2024, 07:52:19 pm »
Have had to clean daycares/daycamps the last couple of weeks.

The amount of incompetent parenting on display is stupefying.

My personal favourite is the never ending count to 3...

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8351 on: August 14, 2024, 10:32:39 am »
I had been meaning to upgrade one of my credit cards, since my annual spend justified the move in terms of net cash back.  I had a promo offer from RBC that expired a few days ago, I called today and they would not honour it (or even substitute something of similar value, say waive the first year's annual fee).  I might switch to another financial institution's card instead, since there are new customer offers out there.  Sucks for RBC to lose $2k to $3k annually in merchant fees....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8352 on: August 14, 2024, 03:53:20 pm »
I am a fan of RBC, over the other Canadian banks at least, they came through for me on a lot of complex stuff over the last year or so, but they can be rather rigid. I have a USD RBC Visa Infinite that I've been using as my primary card since moving, having no US credit I couldn't get anything decent from any of the US only institutions. Finally, just like 2-weeks ago, I had built up enough US credit that I was able to get a decent card from Regions (the US bank I use) so at least now I have a backup.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: August 14, 2024, 04:07:07 pm »
I dislike RBC...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #8354 on: August 14, 2024, 06:28:46 pm »
Maritimer here so we have been BNS customers for generations.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8355 on: August 14, 2024, 06:31:55 pm »
Maritimer here so we have been BNS customers for generations.

I can tell by what you call it.  ;D

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #8356 on: August 14, 2024, 07:15:05 pm »
I dislike RBC...

I find RBC no better or worse than any of the big 5.. I have been with them since 1972. I only use them for basic daily   banking now, my credit cards are with with TD because of Aeroplan  (have also had CIBC and Amex ones). None of my investments are with the banks..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: August 14, 2024, 07:26:50 pm »
I dislike RBC...

I find RBC no better or worse than any of the big 5.. I have been with them since 1972. I only use them for basic daily   banking now, my credit cards are with with TD because of Aeroplan  (have also had CIBC and Amex ones). None of my investments are with the banks..
I had been a life long RBC customer. Had my mortgage with them.

Went to renew about a week or so after the financial crisis of 2008. We both had great jobs, no debt, ideal credit rating, assets,  etc Renewal denied.

That same afternoon, I had several offers (with better interest rates) from multiple lenders.

So yes, RBC blows...and in my case, definitely worse than others.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8358 on: August 14, 2024, 08:51:31 pm »
I was a lifelong TD customer, but when I started dealing more in the US their cross-border options were really weak compared to RBC, who had much more robust options, which was surprising because TD operates branches in the US and RBC doesn't. TD Canada & TD USA are very poorly integrated though, big miss IMO.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: August 14, 2024, 09:50:17 pm »
I was a lifelong TD customer, but when I started dealing more in the US their cross-border options were really weak compared to RBC, who had much more robust options, which was surprising because TD operates branches in the US and RBC doesn't. TD Canada & TD USA are very poorly integrated though, big miss IMO.
RBC has banks in the USA too.

Though unsure about your state.