Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1110598 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #1760 on: October 10, 2017, 04:27:06 pm »
^^ yup

I've never had a Facebook account and never will.

I just use mine for messaging people, it's easy. 

But, never ever look at your newsfeed unless you want to get pi$$ed off at how stupid some of your "friends" can be
Mr Pickypants

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1761 on: October 10, 2017, 05:02:21 pm »
With only a few exceptions, my FB friends are all people I spend time with IRL.  This keeps it working well and since I only have a relatively small number of FB friends (<150) I do't have a cluttered feed.  I instantly unfriend people that post or allow their friends to post trolling asinine BS.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: October 10, 2017, 08:41:23 pm »
2 teens were killed when they failed to stop for police after stealing a car and drove head on into a transport truck.  Apparently, stealing cars was this 15 year old driver's "thing" according to family/friends.

And yet, all I read online from family and friends is that he was a "really good kid" and similar.

FFS...if stealing cars and driving them underage makes you a "good kid", WTF would he have to do to be a bad kid?

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1763 on: October 10, 2017, 08:56:03 pm »
I agree.  Who's a good kid?  Mine.  Not some car thief.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: October 10, 2017, 09:01:08 pm »
I agree.  Who's a good kid?  Mine.  Not some car thief.

And think because of what happened he's also a murderer now?

I mean...your kid MIGHT be a good kid if he screwed up once, stole a car...and learned from it.  But it seems clear, at least from what I've read, this isn't the first time.  Enough that the family/friends refer to this as his "thing".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: October 10, 2017, 09:20:23 pm »
We have a lot of affluent people around us whose kids are now adults and they're worthless law-breaking pieces of crap.  These people say things like "oh, we got so unlucky and got a bad kid."  REALLY?  Maybe had you tried parenting things might have been less "unlucky" for you?

These people have every advantage in terms of socio-economic status and they were just too preoccupied with themselves to actually raise their kids.  I get people living in the inner city scratching out a living working three jobs not having the time or resources to be amazing parents, but the people that live around me have no fkcing excuse.

And I tell them as much.  Loudly.  With profanity.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #1766 on: October 11, 2017, 10:21:20 am »
well, this is more an angry thing rather than irritation, but it goes along with what you guys are talking about...

that guy who was just found guilty in the murder at the gas station a few years back. the guy had been steeling gas since he learned to drive... i believe i heard an estimate of 800 times... and he had done jail time... the guy was a criminal end of story. he obviously had never changed even after jail time. and meanwhile a hard working immigrant who had more education and obviously more of a work ethic (and just ethics overall) is dead.

our justice system sucks.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: October 11, 2017, 10:31:39 am »
he obviously had never changed even after jail time

Incarceration is about punishment, not rehabilitation.  This is why re-offense rates tend to be very high.  Another issue is that more and more jobs require a criminal background check, so even well meaning former criminals are unable to rejoin society as they can't be employed.

In the case of the gas thief, maybe a different system would have worked, and perhaps not.  When it doesn't, then incarceration is required to protect society.  I'm not in favour of "three strikes" laws or mandatory minimum sentences as they do little more than fill prisons as seen in the US, but the justice system needs to deal with habitual offenders in some way that's different.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #1768 on: October 11, 2017, 11:12:01 am »
maybe we can just start allowing weapons in jail.... after a few years, they will be empty.

ok, not a real suggestion, but i just don't know how to "fix" an issue that is about the failing of humanity.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1769 on: October 11, 2017, 11:19:25 am »
maybe we can just start allowing weapons in jail.... after a few years, they will be empty.

ok, not a real suggestion, but i just don't know how to "fix" an issue that is about the failing of humanity.

Gladiatorial fights on PPV, once a year all the violent offenders get thrown into a cage with a bunch of edged weapons. I'm not a UFC kinda guy but I would fork over $60 to watch a rapist or pedo get a mace to the head  ;D

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1770 on: October 11, 2017, 11:20:09 am »
There's no secret to resolving high recidivism rates:

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12?op=1

But we don't do if for Puritanical ideological reasons.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1771 on: October 11, 2017, 06:09:42 pm »
Anyone following the Harvey Weinstein debacle?  I don't think he'd make it as a gladiator, and that's a good thing.  Toss him in. 

Pretty sure I'm feeling triggered by the memories of an experience I had thanks to a sales VP in the early 90s, when I wanted to go into sales for the company.  In those days, you couldn't complain to anyone, and there were no HR rules, so I kept my mouth shut.  The actual operational VP was even worse; I was lucky that he only liked willowy blondes. 

The president was an even bigger piece of sh*t.  His idea of a good time was coercing all the male reps (married or not) into joining him at a strip joint that offered "special benefits" in a private room for extra cash.  You were branded a p*ssy if you didn't let a stripper blow you while he watched.

Yup, that's right.  Some of these reps were just kids in their 20s and 30s, and very devoted to their wives.  And yet they were powerless to stand up to the biggest *sshole in the company, because they would have been fired.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1772 on: October 11, 2017, 07:16:14 pm »
That is super f*cked up.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1773 on: October 11, 2017, 08:13:07 pm »
That is super f*cked up.

Yup.  Oh, and at a company BBQ while some of the younger ladies played volleyball, I was standing behind Mr President, setting up a table.  He turned to a young office lad and his buddies and said, OUT LOUD, in reference to one of the girls:  "I'd like to have her sit on my face and lick her up and down."  As it turns out, that was the young lady's boyfriend he was talking to.

Such a toxic place to work while he was running the show.  He was gone not long afterward, as they never kept these clowns for more than two years.  Thank god.  Not sure what he's doing now, but his wife (if she's still married to him) was still a political bigwig in Toronto somewhere about 5 years ago.  She might be retired now.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: October 11, 2017, 09:56:05 pm »
Well, now, there's a good rationale for open carry laws.  Put a round in his head, everyone would be better off.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #1775 on: October 12, 2017, 08:40:10 am »
One line emails from a Kijiji ad that say something like "What's your best price?" or "What is the lowest price you will take?"

Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1776 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:58 am »
One line emails from a Kijiji ad that say something like "What's your best price?" or "What is the lowest price you will take?"

Those are the worst.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1777 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:32 am »

See, I get a kick out of dealing with those ones... I just reply back... "what the ad says is the best price"... or just simply... "make me an offer"

I've got the GF's Mini up for sale on Kijiji... so far 1 guy has come to see it, another asked for more pics since he's outta town... then I've had an offer for a trade on a RAV-4 + cash from me to him, another for a tent trailer & then a Yamaha cruiser bike...  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1778 on: October 12, 2017, 10:07:14 am »
That is super f*cked up.

Yup.  Oh, and at a company BBQ while some of the younger ladies played volleyball, I was standing behind Mr President, setting up a table.  He turned to a young office lad and his buddies and said, OUT LOUD, in reference to one of the girls:  "I'd like to have her sit on my face and lick her up and down."  As it turns out, that was the young lady's boyfriend he was talking to.

Such a toxic place to work while he was running the show.  He was gone not long afterward, as they never kept these clowns for more than two years.  Thank god.  Not sure what he's doing now, but his wife (if she's still married to him) was still a political bigwig in Toronto somewhere about 5 years ago.  She might be retired now.

When I first started working in engineering, it was mostly men in the office, with women mostly relegated to clerical. Some of our older engineers had a difficult time adapting to having female engineers and techs in the office. Fortunately, management was pretty good at addressing those situations.

The only major issue that I remember was a client that got "handsy" with one of our engineers. When our project manager found out about it, he called his counterpart at the client's office, and Mr. Hands was terminated immediately.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #1779 on: October 12, 2017, 10:49:52 am »

See, I get a kick out of dealing with those ones... I just reply back... "what the ad says is the best price"... or just simply... "make me an offer"

I've got the GF's Mini up for sale on Kijiji... so far 1 guy has come to see it, another asked for more pics since he's outta town... then I've had an offer for a trade on a RAV-4 + cash from me to him, another for a tent trailer & then a Yamaha cruiser bike...  :rofl2:

I did answer one with the following response....

1. Come and view the item

2. Decide if you want to buy it.

3 Enter negotiations