Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1110184 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #1500 on: August 07, 2017, 01:43:22 pm »
The fact that my FILs POS Journey needed spark plugs at 50k kms....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Wow..really?
In the manual and everything. Yeah it was cheap and took 10 min, but come on, I thought that spark plugs are 150k km on your run of the mill commuter toaster.

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk
With decent plugs? Sure.

With dimestore FCA stuff? Maybe not.

i had to look that up because i hadn't even heard that.... my goodness... 48000km interval on the 2.4l!! and to answer the other question, yeah, pretty common to go 150k, as even the 3.6L has a 160000km interval...

i would guess it is because they are so easy to replace that they use/suggest the cheapest ones on the market. if you put in good ones, you should be able to up that interval significantly, up to around the 150 you are thinking... i'll see what my service department suggests if you swap em.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 07, 2017, 02:21:25 pm »

Wow..really?
In the manual and everything. Yeah it was cheap and took 10 min, but come on, I thought that spark plugs are 150k km on your run of the mill commuter toaster.

With decent plugs? Sure.

i had to look that up because i hadn't even heard that.... my goodness... 48000km interval on the 2.4l!! and to answer the other question, yeah, pretty common to go 150k, as even the 3.6L has a 160000km interval...

i would guess it is because they are so easy to replace that they use/suggest the cheapest ones on the market. if you put in good ones, you should be able to up that interval significantly, up to around the 150 you are thinking... i'll see what my service department suggests if you swap em.
Yep...just replace with something good.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1502 on: August 07, 2017, 02:44:39 pm »

Wow..really?

With decent plugs? Sure.

He is just worried that he will have warranty issues id he uses anything else and doesn't change them at the specified times.

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 08, 2017, 08:06:11 am »
Hail...and having a brainfart so big I didn't even think to see it coming...and didn't slow down or stop until it passed.  Front of the camper looks like it's been dealt the death of a thousand blows, by pebbles.  At least the sides are fine.  Should've left 15 minutes earlier or 15 minutes later.  Hate the idea of it getting fixed 'cause you know that no one, probably, can really do a good job...and the one guy I do know who can...is over 70 and I think he's retired.   :P :-\
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:23:29 pm by BWII »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #1504 on: August 08, 2017, 03:38:40 pm »
man that sucks...

we had hail here the other day... just a foul word at a dealership.

and we are going nuts here and my customer calls frantic wanting me to bring his used car he just purchased inside the shop.......... acting like i needed to do everything in my power to keep his car safe at the expense of everything else...

i mean crap... we have hundreds of cars on my lot. many valued at 80k and such. we also have service customers both in the shop and awaiting to get in... not to mention the fact that every employee here drives a car that is parked outside on our lot... but SURE... we'll bring your car in and prioritize it.

anyway, that was a side annoyance.

this morning, my neighbour come over to get me to show him how to use the navigation on his new (used) crv... because, you know, i know these things because i sell cars. so, what he is saying is that he knows i sell cars... ALL kinds of cars... but he didn't talk to me to sell him one, just wants me to do the dealerships job in teaching him how to use it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 08, 2017, 03:43:24 pm »

this morning, my neighbour come over to get me to show him how to use the navigation on his new (used) crv... because, you know, i know these things because i sell cars. so, what he is saying is that he knows i sell cars... ALL kinds of cars... but he didn't talk to me to sell him one, just wants me to do the dealerships job in teaching him how to use it.

I've never had a used dealer show me anything about a used car beyond where to shift to buy it.

And I don't sell cars but get questions like these frequently because I'm the "car guy".

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 08, 2017, 04:14:41 pm »
occasionally on off-makes i'll use the whole, "I know you did so much homework here for this purchase that you know more about it than i do! but if i can help you pair a phone, teach you how to preset stations and such i'd be happy to do so".

usually not too much to go over on the off-make stuff, but I go over a used FCA product just as well as a new one. my deliveries take about 20 minutes for paperwork and 25 minutes for the actual car part.

but yeah, that neighbour knows i sell cars. we have talked about it quite a few times. plus, i have a different car in the driveway all the time. another neighbour had me looking for a used car for him. said he was in no rush (this was thursday) and could wait. so sunday i tell him i have a car coming in monday that i will bring home so he can see it.... turns out he bought a car over the internet on friday. "but thanks for looking!"... ah well. i don't actually mind as a neighbour can be my worst customer... part of why i drive a stick... so i can't just "trade cars and bring it in to get that rattle looked at"...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 09, 2017, 09:50:38 pm »
My garage had the odor of death yesterday and the odor was much stronger today. I initially thought it was a mouse, but after how strong the smell was I thought otherwise.

I looked in, on, around IQs car, behind the stored tires, etc. I moved my bike out and looked around...and the smell was gone?

Uh oh...give the bike a sniff..uggg! It's my bike! After having a closer look, there's a dead bird in the lower cowling, baked onto my exhaust pipe...FFS...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 09, 2017, 11:46:26 pm »
My atv belt melted inside the case...:-(

Guess a 200km ride on the weekend didn’t help...

Expensive repair now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 10, 2017, 12:22:13 am »
Pony up for a Kevlar belt of available.

Polaris?

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #1510 on: August 10, 2017, 01:22:44 am »
My garage had the odor of death yesterday and the odor was much stronger today. I initially thought it was a mouse, but after how strong the smell was I thought otherwise.

I looked in, on, around IQs car, behind the stored tires, etc. I moved my bike out and looked around...and the smell was gone?

Uh oh...give the bike a sniff..uggg! It's my bike! After having a closer look, there's a dead bird in the lower cowling, baked onto my exhaust pipe...FFS...

Reminds me of when a squirrel got crunched by a front suspension coil and rotted in my '93 850 GLT.  The HVAC system filled the car with the stench of rotting meat.  Took my mechanic ages to discover it.  Had to use a wire brush to clean off the coil -- tool him ages.  Had never seen this before.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #1511 on: August 12, 2017, 08:29:17 am »
Scam calls and texts from Kijiji ads. Let me get this straight....You are on an oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico but are calling from a Las Vegas area code and want to buy my outboard motor and will sent your "transport agent" to pick it up......suuuuure. ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #1512 on: August 12, 2017, 09:07:52 am »
Scam calls and texts from Kijiji ads. Let me get this straight....You are on an oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico but are calling from a Las Vegas area code and want to buy my outboard motor and will sent your "transport agent" to pick it up......suuuuure. ::)

Joking aside, the only ever time I sold a car (my 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo) was through Kijiji and to a buyer exactly like that... His story was that he was a soldier on active duty in Afghanistan and wanted the car for when he got home. I was initially skeptical but after some initial fact-checking and a large deposit, I actually agreed to meet his dad in Belleville for the trade. When I arrived I met with a nice man who handed me a certified cheque, which was immediately deposited - no issues!

I always wondered if the solider made it home safe. I assume so, as I started getting service survey emails from Ottawa-area GM dealers  :rofl2:
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 12, 2017, 10:16:10 pm »
At the cottage, so we did the traditional family thing, got my 16 year old driving around the lanes to get a feel for driving before she gets her permit.

Oddly enough, she can adjust the seats just fine on my Explorer, but CANNOT reach the pedals in the Forester.  The seat doesn't move far enough.  Yes, she's short, but come on.

How come the explorer, which is twice as big as the Forester, has seats that allow for short drivers, and the Forester doesn't?  That's ridiculous.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 13, 2017, 09:39:27 am »
Time for some new shoes?  Can/could she reach the pedals with these?

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: August 13, 2017, 10:00:54 am »
Time for some new shoes?  Can/could she reach the pedals with these?

Perfect!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #1516 on: August 13, 2017, 12:28:53 pm »
Truly a little thing:  downloaded reddit app few days ago.  It used 480 mb of my cell data in the background.  Fack.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 13, 2017, 01:45:08 pm »
Pony up for a Kevlar belt of available.

Polaris?

Arctic Cat - prolly a defective belt given the mileage.

But yeah Polaris has the broken belt reputation :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #1518 on: August 13, 2017, 02:10:00 pm »
At the cottage, so we did the traditional family thing, got my 16 year old driving around the lanes to get a feel for driving before she gets her permit.

Oddly enough, she can adjust the seats just fine on my Explorer, but CANNOT reach the pedals in the Forester.  The seat doesn't move far enough.  Yes, she's short, but come on.

How come the explorer, which is twice as big as the Forester, has seats that allow for short drivers, and the Forester doesn't?  That's ridiculous.

Subaru's do have a reputation for poor seating ergonomics and limited range of adjustment. I went to Maine in 2007 fully intending to buy a loaded Tribeca but walked away when I couldn't adjust the seat to get it comfortable in relation to the wheel and pedals.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:13:07 pm by sailor723 »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1519 on: August 13, 2017, 05:14:18 pm »
Tailgaters. I mean, really? Why? Don't you ever wonder why your car insurance is so expensive in Ontario?

Just under 40% of all accidents in Winnipeg are rear-end collisions.  People follow too closely and don't pay attention.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson