Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1110228 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #1280 on: April 26, 2017, 10:10:11 am »

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1281 on: April 26, 2017, 11:32:34 am »
There seems to be a segment of the population in Saint John that is resentful of success and who delights in seeing people fail. Ignore them Shane and concentrate on moving forward.

This definitely isn't specific to Saint John. New Brunswick in general has this defeatist attitude that makes me sick. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard something like, "that's just the way it is here." Very few people seem to be interested in improving this province or themselves. Even more ridiculous is the sentiment that people here shouldn't have high expectations for their lives.

We need more people like Shane to build businesses that not only employ people but export their products outside of NB.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 26, 2017, 11:37:08 am »
Moncton struck me as trying hard to develop. Kind of a small city trying to be a metropolis. Fredericton was a small city trying to be a village. Of the two years I lived in the Saint John area, I found a general attitude of negativity.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1283 on: April 26, 2017, 11:47:20 am »
Why are some folks so negative and seemingly instinctive to want to see others fail?  I don' get it.  I was headlined in a couple of articles in our local newspaper today regarding my brewery expansion.  Both my Mom and my wife were approached by people that they know, who obviously read the articles, that expressed an unbelievable amount of negativity.  As in, "are you sure he can afford it", "what waste of tax payers dollars", "must be nice to be given a government handout", and "are you sure he knows what he's doing?"   Why the fcck to people have to be so negative?  Personally, I applaud folks that try and give it a go on their own.  But nope, some folks just love to talk sh!t about anything positive that some folks are trying to do.   >:( :banghead:

Needed to vent as some people truly :censor: me off!

People just jealous that you did something with your life and they are left languishing in mediocrity or stuck in a career they hate. Don't let them get to you, giver 'er b'y!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1284 on: April 26, 2017, 11:50:06 am »
Moncton struck me as trying hard to develop. Kind of a small city trying to be a metropolis. Fredericton was a small city trying to be a village. Of the two years I lived in the Saint John area, I found a general attitude of negativity.

Fredericton is better these days, I think. There are of course still those people trying to retain the status quo though.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 26, 2017, 12:01:50 pm »

I distinctly recall common council here in Saint John a few years ago, they said that if they extended the water main to a new part of Millidgeville, then developers would just build big expensive houses, and what would be the point in that? 

There is a huge segment of the population in this city that does not want any change of any kind.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 26, 2017, 12:10:52 pm »

I distinctly recall common council here in Saint John a few years ago, they said that if they extended the water main to a new part of Millidgeville, then developers would just build big expensive houses, and what would be the point in that? 

There is a huge segment of the population in this city that does not want any change of any kind.

The hell kind of backwards thinking is that?!?!?!?!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1287 on: April 26, 2017, 12:29:18 pm »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 26, 2017, 12:36:54 pm »

Yeah but these are expensive homes. Not like they are putting crackheads in your neighborhood.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 26, 2017, 12:51:47 pm »

Fredericton is better these days, I think. There are of course still those people trying to retain the status quo though.

That's good to know. The city itself is very nice, but the municipal leadership when I was living there was pretty cringe worthy.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: April 26, 2017, 12:53:02 pm »
It was the same thing with windmills. Everyone thought they were great and supported them. As soon as they built them in my neighborhood people went bonkers.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 26, 2017, 12:53:15 pm »

Brilliant.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1292 on: April 26, 2017, 01:02:00 pm »
There seems to be a segment of the population in Saint John that is resentful of success and who delights in seeing people fail. Ignore them Shane and concentrate on moving forward.

This definitely isn't specific to Saint John. New Brunswick in general has this defeatist attitude that makes me sick. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard something like, "that's just the way it is here." Very few people seem to be interested in improving this province or themselves. Even more ridiculous is the sentiment that people here shouldn't have high expectations for their lives.

We need more people like Shane to build businesses that not only employ people but export their products outside of NB.

No kidding, I see that all the time as well.  It's those same people that tell me how "lucky" I am to own a brewery.   ::)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 26, 2017, 01:04:33 pm »

No kidding, I see that all the time as well.  It's those same people that tell me how "lucky" I am to own a brewery.   ::)

Yeah...."luck"....thank the sky fairy that your lucky rabbits foot/throwing a virgin in a volcano has gotten you so far  ::) ::)

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #1294 on: April 26, 2017, 02:22:58 pm »

Agree. Not everyone has the ability to manage projects. Those that do should be supported.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 26, 2017, 02:36:42 pm »

Brilliant.

Shouldn't the rich pay for their own water pipes? And their own roads for that matter.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 26, 2017, 02:40:36 pm »

Brilliant.

Shouldn't the rich pay for their own water pipes? And their own roads for that matter.

Define "rich".....and shouldn't the ones that pay the most taxes get some benefits now and again??

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1297 on: April 26, 2017, 02:47:03 pm »

Now you're just baiting.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1298 on: April 26, 2017, 02:50:21 pm »
Define "rich".....and shouldn't the ones that pay the most taxes get some benefits now and again??

They do.  A lot.  Why do you think the wealthy in Canada and other developed nations enjoy their wealth in safety and comfort?  How do you think they were able to build successful businesses or join high-paying occupations?  Infrastructure plays a huge role in their success and enjoyment of that success.  Not a single person in this country "did it on their own."  We all benefit greatly from the collective efforts of the country.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 26, 2017, 03:01:25 pm »

Brilliant.

No, you've got the wrong end of the stick.  Baby Boomers should pay for their own water.