Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1110721 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #960 on: March 15, 2017, 08:32:06 pm »
How would butter eat grass?

Had no idea what you were talking about there. Had to go back and look.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 15, 2017, 08:35:06 pm »
How would butter eat grass?

I know..it's silly.  But that's what it's generally referred as...perhaps the slang name for it.  Even though it's from milk of grass fed cows.

The only stuff I've been able to find is the KerryGold stuff.  And I can't find it local for whatever reason.  So it's only an occasional thing,...and when on sale.  Because $$ than the regular stuff.

**EDIT**  I guess this is why. 

http://www.thebarefootgolfer.com/grassfed-butter-in-canada/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:38:46 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #962 on: March 16, 2017, 08:17:03 am »
I have my Timmies coffee with 1 sugar, 1 cream.

With café (English: espresso), I take it as is, no additions. A chunk of chocolate on the side is customary for me though.

Oh Puh-lease

80% or 70% cacao chocolate?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #963 on: March 16, 2017, 08:35:01 am »
I have my Timmies coffee with 1 sugar, 1 cream.

With café (English: espresso), I take it as is, no additions. A chunk of chocolate on the side is customary for me though.

Oh Puh-lease

80% or 70% cacao chocolate?
70% cacao, a bit sweeter because it's supposed to offset the café.
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #964 on: March 16, 2017, 03:24:11 pm »
When my wife doesn't switch off the windshield wipers before turning off the car and parking for the night.

And then when I turn the key the next morning and sit there helplessly while the wiper motor strains under the load of the 20 cm of heavy snow that fell overnight. And the rear hatch wiper, too.   >:(  >:(  >:(

Yeah, it's my fault. Not like it's the first time this happened. I should know to check the position of the wiper switch before turning the key.  :(

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #965 on: March 17, 2017, 08:21:39 am »
Daft people who don't know the concept of zipper merging!!!!!! EVERY morning I get on the 417 East at Maitland (for the Ottawa folks), which is a long sweeping on-ramp (super fun in the Porsche) followed by a merge lane that is probably close to 1km in length... and every morning there's some stunned f*ck that decides then need to slam on the brakes and merge immediately as soon as the merge lane begins  :banghead:  This morning it was a jacka$$ in a Sienna... so I laid on the horn & went onto the shoulder around him & he proceeded to lay on the horn back at me  :rofl:  Really did make me laugh!!  :rofl2: 

Gonna make a big sign that I can hold up to my window stating something like READ UP ON ZIPPER MERGING   :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #966 on: March 17, 2017, 09:54:02 am »
You should see the lemmings here. Literally, they cause traffic congestion by merging 2-3km in advance of a closed lane.

"Good for you ! I'm going to use the rest of the lane that is available to me !". I have always use the zipper merge since I started driving because it is ingrained and that's the way I learned to drive.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #967 on: March 20, 2017, 07:41:07 pm »
In the 12.6 years my daughter's been in school (including kindergarten) I've never had one negative comment from the school.  Calls home are usually about awards that she's won.  Last week I got a call from the teacher that's been giving her some grief about her career choices - and it sounds like he's having some issues with her.  Huh.

Went and met with him today - and I think she might have been UNDERSTATING how much he grinds her gears.  He basically said we're negligent parents for supporting her in her chosen path.  WTF?  He was very opinionated and antagonistic and I was really taken back by the meeting.  He supervises the "CALM" course that she's taking - it's self directed learning, but he marks her assignments.  (CALM stands for Career and Life Management)

She had to do a "career investigation" and he wanted to discuss it.  I hadn't seen it, so I reviewed it.  I was very impressed!  She put a LOT of work into what most kids consider a mickey-mouse assignment.  She couldn't find much statistical information about guiding in terms of trends, earnings, and so on, so she contacted guiding companies and some independent guides and gathered a surprising amount of info.  I was actually heartened to find that according to mechanized ski operations (heli-skiing and cat-skiing) that full guides (full certification, not apprenticing) earn on average $82K per season.  That's better than I thought, and far better than the kid thought.  (She guessed $30K before making her calls)

She was very clear about employment opportunity and how her skills and aptitude match up to the career.  I asked for the grading rubric and I would have it scored it very well.

He called it a waste of time and energy.  "Completely wasting her life following this route - she needs to be dissuaded of this as soon as possible,"  When I told him that the missus and I were both 100% supportive of her going after this and at least giving it a shot - he pretty much said that we're idiots.

I left quite irritated.  But, I left it alone.  She'll pass the CALM, finish off her last semester and never see him again.  I just hope he doesn't call me to nag me anymore.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 20, 2017, 07:49:19 pm »
In the 12.6 years my daughter's been in school (including kindergarten) I've never had one negative comment from the school.  Calls home are usually about awards that she's won.  Last week I got a call from the teacher that's been giving her some grief about her career choices - and it sounds like he's having some issues with her.  Huh.

Went and met with him today - and I think she might have been UNDERSTATING how much he grinds her gears.  He basically said we're negligent parents for supporting her in her chosen path.  WTF?  He was very opinionated and antagonistic and I was really taken back by the meeting.  He supervises the "CALM" course that she's taking - it's self directed learning, but he marks her assignments.  (CALM stands for Career and Life Management)

She had to do a "career investigation" and he wanted to discuss it.  I hadn't seen it, so I reviewed it.  I was very impressed!  She put a LOT of work into what most kids consider a mickey-mouse assignment.  She couldn't find much statistical information about guiding in terms of trends, earnings, and so on, so she contacted guiding companies and some independent guides and gathered a surprising amount of info.  I was actually heartened to find that according to mechanized ski operations (heli-skiing and cat-skiing) that full guides (full certification, not apprenticing) earn on average $82K per season.  That's better than I thought, and far better than the kid thought.  (She guessed $30K before making her calls)

She was very clear about employment opportunity and how her skills and aptitude match up to the career.  I asked for the grading rubric and I would have it scored it very well.

He called it a waste of time and energy.  "Completely wasting her life following this route - she needs to be dissuaded of this as soon as possible,"  When I told him that the missus and I were both 100% supportive of her going after this and at least giving it a shot - he pretty much said that we're idiots.

I left quite irritated.  But, I left it alone.  She'll pass the CALM, finish off her last semester and never see him again.  I just hope he doesn't call me to nag me anymore.

I totally get where he's coming from though.  If she's as you describe, she's a gifted student in math, science, etc.  And as a gifted student, going into guiding would seem like a "waste" compared to being a doctor or other area of study where more women are needed.  I too think it's a waste to become a ski bum.  But 100% get and understand the "follow your heart" thing when choosing a career.  Any job you go to that doesn't feel like a job is a good thing.  But I totally get his viewpoint.

Sheesh...you complain often that teachers don't take and interest in their student's lives, and when one does...you complain too.  Sheesh!  No middle ground with you, eh?   ;D

And don't worry about being called "negligent".  Helicopter parents aren't usually negligent.   ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #969 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:24 pm »
If her plan was to just move to Revy and wait tables while skiing or try to make it on the ski-movie tour, etc, then yeah, I'd be a little more "uh, geez, that's okay for a while, but..."

Guiding is a profession governed by the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides and they have the most rigorous program with the highest standards in the world.  Canadian guides are highly respected the world over and are automatically certified to work in all foreign jurisdictions.  The process is lengthy, extremely difficult, involves a wide variety of skills, extreme physical fitness and requires a high level of intelligence.  Guiding is not for lunks that just huck cliffs on their skis - it's a profession that involves a lot of care in keeping people alive.  Guides wear the ACMG badge with honour and they should - it means you're basically the elite of the elite.

I can understand people not appreciating or understanding this.  It's a very small world and people don't come in contact with mountain guides in their lives unless they either seek them out and understand about the industry and why we have such high standards.  That said, the kid did a great job of communicating this through her assignment.  As a teacher, I would have questioned her until I read the assignment and realized how much time, effort, and thought she's put into this choice.

I have met with parents and can't recall once berating them if it was obvious that their child's lack of success stemmed from their at-home difficulties.  People don't respond well to antagonistic approaches and you won't make much progress without 1. listening to the student and the parent and 2. give your input in a constructive and supportive manner.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 20, 2017, 08:19:19 pm »
If her plan was to just move to Revy and wait tables while skiing or try to make it on the ski-movie tour, etc, then yeah, I'd be a little more "uh, geez, that's okay for a while, but..."

Guiding is a profession governed by the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides and they have the most rigorous program with the highest standards in the world.  Canadian guides are highly respected the world over and are automatically certified to work in all foreign jurisdictions.  The process is lengthy, extremely difficult, involves a wide variety of skills, extreme physical fitness and requires a high level of intelligence.  Guiding is not for lunks that just huck cliffs on their skis - it's a profession that involves a lot of care in keeping people alive.  Guides wear the ACMG badge with honour and they should - it means you're basically the elite of the elite.

I can understand people not appreciating or understanding this.  It's a very small world and people don't come in contact with mountain guides in their lives unless they either seek them out and understand about the industry and why we have such high standards.  That said, the kid did a great job of communicating this through her assignment.  As a teacher, I would have questioned her until I read the assignment and realized how much time, effort, and thought she's put into this choice.

I have met with parents and can't recall once berating them if it was obvious that their child's lack of success stemmed from their at-home difficulties.  People don't respond well to antagonistic approaches and you won't make much progress without 1. listening to the student and the parent and 2. give your input in a constructive and supportive manner.

How long does it take to be certified?  They don't say much on their website.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:53 pm »
Not sure if I'm irritated yet.   ;D

But I have to go for a sleep study tomorrow morning.  Am hoping the beds are comfy!!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 20, 2017, 08:50:50 pm »

How long does it take to be certified?  They don't say much on their website.

There's no set time period.  About the fastest anyone's done it is six years.  Most don't come close to that - typically 8-10 depending on your resources and ability to build a climbing/skiing resume prior to applying. You need a minimum of three years of extensive experience gained on your own prior to even applying, plus a bunch of certifications.  You need you Canadian Ski Instructors Alliance Level 2 certification, Canadian Avalanche Association operations Level 1, but Level 2 is better - that takes three years or so, and your Advanced Wilderness Medic certification before you're eligible to apply.  The kid has her CSIA Level 2, her AST1 which is the first step towards her Avalanche operations certification and is registered in the Wilderness Medic course in September.

Even people that decide at a young age don't usually gain entrance into the program until they're in their mid-20s.  They spend all the time leading up to that building their experience base and getting out onto as much varied terrain as possible.  They take courses and get out with guides and other recreational skiers/climbers and take leadership roles to hone their skills.  They work as ski instructors and ski patrol and do all kinds of things related to their future courses/exams.

A barrier for many aspiring guides is cost.  The courses and exams are thousands of dollars, and for someone scraping by building their resume, suddenly having to come up with $3K or more can be really tough.  The deal I have with her is that if she supports herself, then I'll pony up for the courses, exams and certifications.  Taking that pressure off will be a huge boost for her.  The estimated total of the courses and exams is approx $40K assuming you pass them all on your first try.  Most people do not.

She's grown up in the mountains seeing guides in action.  She has a very realistic view of the work they do.  She's met with many to gain understanding of the process and how they live their lives.

how she came up with this is that choice is that:

1. She has an INTENSE love of instruction.  She loves every minute teaching ski lesson regardless of the ability level of her student.  She's naturally gifted at the process as well as having it modeled by her parents.  No matter what she does in her life, she wants it to involve instruction.  A huge part of guiding is instruction.  She's led some recreational climbing courses designed to introduce people to mountaineering and she excels at it - as well as loves it.

2. She can't be indoors.  When she's on skis or on the move in the mountains, she's comfortable and at home.  In a building, she feels like she wants to claw the walls open and escape.  She can't stand to be still - she thrives on being moving.

3. While she loves the physical nature of guiding, the cerebral aspect is even more stimulating.  Solving puzzles with regards to building anchors and rescue systems is something she loves.  The mental challenge of route finding and planning is something she can't get enough of.  She's excited beyond words as this spring her and I (if the avy hazard ever calms down) are going up high on icefields so she can learn the difficult and challenging skill of white-out navigation.  Assessing snow conditions, hazards, and on and on all take a high level of mental ability. Being a guide is far from being a ski instructor or ski bum.  You make life or decisions not only for yourself, but for other people.  You're operating in some of the most dangerous terrain in the world.

Here's a well thought out blog post about becoming a ski guide...

http://skitheory.blogspot.ca/2012/04/becoming-acmg-guide.html

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 21, 2017, 12:28:06 am »
Wow...that teacher's an a#s.  We've been reading about your daughter for years.  Sounds like a real smart cookie.  Almost (?) too bad you didn't have more.  Why should she pick a path some Captain A-hole thinks is better suited for her than following her own passion?  You don't get 2 go rounds at this shi#.  If she does it for 10 yrs or whatever, she still has time to go and add numbers together and be an accountant...yawn...FFS at least she has a passion and the drive to do something other than play on her fecking computer all day.  And $82g/year...that's today.  Not like it'll get lower in the future. I know people in their 40's who've done the uni thing, taken accounting courses later in life...and I doubt make $30g per year.  Yay...passion...whoohoo... :P 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 21, 2017, 05:42:17 am »
It's nice that you're learning why so many people have the opinions of teachers that they do.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #975 on: March 21, 2017, 08:27:43 am »
People who carry on loud conversations on their cell phones in a store!

Stopped at Home Depot on the way home yesterday.  When I was going through the cash, there was this guy just pacing back and forth in front of all the cashes, yacking away on his phone in a loud booming voice.  I could hear the guy talking before I could see him.  FFS...either take it outside, or hang up and call back.  I have no interest in hear you blab away trying to sound important! :banghead:
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #976 on: March 21, 2017, 08:32:44 am »
I kinda agree with rrocket, where I do get the teachers point of view because he see's the potential in your daughter & wants her to go onto what he perceives as being great things.

Reality is, she's what, 18 now? Or soon to be 18? If she goes down this path to becoming a guide and after 10yrs she's had enough, or realizes it's not all it's cracked up to be... she'll be 28 and will have plenty of time to go back & get some kinda degree. John, I don't completely know your entire career history, but from what I've read on here over the past few years it sounds to me like you've gone thru several careers yourself (teacher, business owner, banker, etc... off the top of my head), so I think there's a good chance your daughter might follow the same path. Become a guide for several years & then move onto something else, which is the new norm, not many stay in the same place, career or field their entire lives anymore.

And if I can ever get my a$$ out west for a ski vacation, we'll have to meet up & ski... just to see if I can keep up with her  :rofl:   My ski buddies here in the East are level 3's & 4's and I have no problem keeping up & get free instruction all the time  :rofl2: , but we're in the East, ain't the same as the West  ;D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #977 on: March 21, 2017, 09:26:22 am »
dog sitting for my brother. 

dog has separation anxiety.  i guess most dogs do to some level, but this is little too much.  she tries to get on the bed many times a night, waking us up.  my face hurts from lack of sleep.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #978 on: March 21, 2017, 11:27:41 am »
when you seal up all the windows and doors and screens in the house, and yet somehow a full grown Huntsman Spider is still able to get in somehow. Buggers are quick and hard to catch. He needs to do his hunting OUTSIDE not inside. More food out there for him. If I find that there are bugs in the house, I will invite him back in to ply his deadly trade. Until then...out.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #979 on: March 21, 2017, 11:43:38 am »
Some freaking twatwaffle on her phone decided that the on ramp onto a high speed and busy road today would be perfect to have a chit chat to her BFF about what "totally like awesome outfit she is going to wear tonight when the Edmonton Eskimos totally run a train on her" and promptly caused a cue of about 10 cars to either attempt to enter the traffic at about 40 km/h or come to a complete stop. The best was the mouth agape, "Oh my god, what did I do?!?!?" look she gave to everyone that promptly went around her blasting their horn and giving her the biggest middle finger salute they could muster  >:( >:( >:(

Lighten up Francis.....