Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1110784 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #860 on: March 08, 2017, 06:58:09 pm »
IQ says "our fence blew down".  WTF?  So I go outback and sure enough, 3 sections of my fence are down.  I examine the 4x4s...and they are rotten through.  Curiously, these are the only 4x4s that are rotted.  Why?  Because neighbour built a raised flower bed in that area.

Sigh....

Pressure treated or regular lumber?

Pressure treated.

It's the only 3 posts in the raised flower bed.  No coincidence I'm sure...

Interesting...Higher moisture content from watering maybe?

It has mulch in it and on top.  So it never seems to dry out IMO.

Some people get a little too liberal with the mulch as well. Every year I hear of house fires started from mulch spontaneously combusting because it was put on too thick around the foundation.  Even worse for black mulch. 

The garden centres usually recommend at least 4 inches, but the fire dept says no more than an inch, or two at most. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #861 on: March 08, 2017, 07:02:34 pm »
IQ says "our fence blew down".  WTF?  So I go outback and sure enough, 3 sections of my fence are down.  I examine the 4x4s...and they are rotten through.  Curiously, these are the only 4x4s that are rotted.  Why?  Because neighbour built a raised flower bed in that area.

Sigh....

Pressure treated.

Some people get a little too liberal with the mulch as well. Every year I hear of house fires started from mulch spontaneously combusting because it was put on too thick around the foundation.  Even worse for black mulch. 

The garden centres usually recommend at least 4 inches, but the fire dept says no more than an inch, or two at most.

If you put an inch down, a couple of weeks later you get bare spots.  I often put 2-3 inches at the beginning of the season, and add about an inch halfway through the summer, like July. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 08, 2017, 07:21:20 pm »

Sigh....

Pressure treated.

Happened to me last year.  And I only had an inch or so.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 08, 2017, 07:23:39 pm »

Sigh....

Pressure treated.

Happened to me last year.  And I only had an inch or so.

Is that a garden of weeds?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 08, 2017, 07:25:29 pm »
^^Variety of hot peppers.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #865 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:11 pm »
That's weird.  I guess sun is a factor.  Where I put a lot, it's only in the sun after 12. 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 08, 2017, 07:45:44 pm »
Shopping at the Super Store today. I ask the guy stocking one of the meat coolers if I can get a couple of strip steaks cut about 1.5" thick (there were none in the display case). His answer was a. he didn't know if they had any and b.if they did it would be at least half an hour as the meat cutter was on lunch.

If your store is open for business then staff it FFS!
Surprised that they would even have someone who would cut the meat there

They definitely have a meat cutter there, but I never use them for custom cuts.

Uptown, the city market, only place for that.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 08, 2017, 07:46:58 pm »
^^It's classified as a Skilled Trade BTW...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #868 on: March 08, 2017, 08:39:45 pm »
So the kid tells me today that one of her teachers is really pi$$ing her off.

She's an exceptional student, with a GPA of over 90% and near perfect marks in Math and Science classes.  Her weakest class is Social Studies, but she still does very well in it.  Her Social Studies teacher has become very interested in her life, and I totally get that - I did my students as well.  Given her grades, he's assumed she's off to university - logical.

So she tells him about her aspirations to become a mountain guide.  He's done nothing since but disparage this path.  Every chance he gets he runs it down.  WTF?  She's tried to explain that it's a lengthy and difficult program that involves years and years of hard work, knowledge of many topics, and is successfully completed by few - especially few women.  He still thinks she's wasting time and effort even thinking about - she should be doing something in the math or science fields (99% in those subjects...) and is quite ignorant about it.

I suspected she's overstating things, but a reliable classmate of hers that I know would rat her out on this says that indeed the teacher runs her down pretty hard when the topic of their futures comes up.

That irritates me.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 08, 2017, 08:42:42 pm »

She's an exceptional student, with a GPA of over 90% and near perfect marks in Math and Science classes.  Her weakest class is Social Studies, but she still does very well in it.  Her Social Studies teacher has become very interested in her life, and I totally get that - I did my students as well.  Given her grades, he's assumed she's off to university - logical.

So she tells him about her aspirations to become a mountain guide.  He's done nothing since but disparage this path.  Every chance he gets he runs it down.  WTF?  She's tried to explain that it's a lengthy and difficult program that involves years and years of hard work, knowledge of many topics, and is successfully completed by few - especially few women.  He still thinks she's wasting time and effort even thinking about - she should be doing something in the math or science fields (99% in those subjects...) and is quite ignorant about it.

I suspected she's overstating things, but a reliable classmate of hers that I know would rat her out on this says that indeed the teacher runs her down pretty hard when the topic of their futures comes up.

That irritates me.

he is right!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 08, 2017, 08:54:28 pm »

That irritates me.

You'll get over it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #871 on: March 08, 2017, 08:58:27 pm »
^^^ Which why it's an irritation, not in the "angry, unhappy, etc" thread.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #872 on: March 08, 2017, 08:58:42 pm »
A lot to be said for a STEM qualification, if only a humble Bsc in Comp Sci just in case the guide thing fails...ill health or injury perhaps.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #873 on: March 08, 2017, 09:00:58 pm »
The market used to be the place until Perry's closed

Shopping at the Super Store today. I ask the guy stocking one of the meat coolers if I can get a couple of strip steaks cut about 1.5" thick (there were none in the display case). His answer was a. he didn't know if they had any and b.if they did it would be at least half an hour as the meat cutter was on lunch.

If your store is open for business then staff it FFS!
Surprised that they would even have someone who would cut the meat there

They definitely have a meat cutter there, but I never use them for custom cuts.

Uptown, the city market, only place for that.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 08, 2017, 09:23:42 pm »

That irritates me.

I can't really say I blame him. Looking at things objectively some kind of STEM thing is almost certainly the more logical choice.

If she wants to do something else, something much more risky, well ultimately its a free country. But lots of people do things when they're young that they ultimately regret. Maybe not her. But on average, yes. Who can say?

I find it strange you bring her marks up in this. Not sure the relevance other than strengthening the argument of the teacher.

As for whether he is "nothing but disparaging" - who knows? You weren't there. Telephones get broken easily.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 08, 2017, 09:35:13 pm »
Teachers tend to categorize kids by grades.  Were her grades 60's, he'd probably be far less interested in her future.  Many see academically achieving kids that don't take a route into university as wasting their potential.  I'm guilty of this myself - I had so few students that could gain entrance to university I was shocked when one could - and admit I'd be a little disappointed did they not take advantage of it.  But, I'd be gentle in my discussion and certainly not persistent if they had some sort of other plan.  As I said, I find it a minor irritant - actually, I think I should clarify.  In retrospect, the irritant is actually listening to my daughter go on about it...    ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 08, 2017, 09:44:17 pm »

That irritates me.

I can't really say I blame him. Looking at things objectively some kind of STEM thing is almost certainly the more logical choice.

If she wants to do something else, something much more risky, well ultimately its a free country. But lots of people do things when they're young that they ultimately regret. Maybe not her. But on average, yes. Who can say?

I find it strange you bring her marks up in this. Not sure the relevance other than strengthening the argument of the teacher.

As for whether he is "nothing but disparaging" - who knows? You weren't there. Telephones get broken easily.

I agree.  From the teacher's viewpoint, the world certainly needs more women engineers, doctors, etc.  And certainly he'd want that from any of his students.  Whereas, in his eyes, she appears to want to become a ski bum.

He's trying to guide here...but maybe his tact could be better.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 08, 2017, 09:46:14 pm »
she appears to want to become a ski bum.

LIKE HER DAD

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 08, 2017, 09:50:39 pm »
Teachers tend to categorize kids by grades.  Were her grades 60's, he'd probably be far less interested in her future.  Many see academically achieving kids that don't take a route into university as wasting their potential.  I'm guilty of this myself - I had so few students that could gain entrance to university I was shocked when one could - and admit I'd be a little disappointed did they not take advantage of it.  But, I'd be gentle in my discussion and certainly not persistent if they had some sort of other plan.  As I said, I find it a minor irritant - actually, I think I should clarify.  In retrospect, the irritant is actually listening to my daughter go on about it...    ;D
So your beef is with his attitude and delivery. But how do you know what his attitude and delivery was? You're basing it on hearsay as far as I can see.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 08, 2017, 09:53:18 pm »
she appears to want to become a ski bum.

LIKE HER DAD
No. Her dad became a ski bum after being a business / corporate guy of some kind when the going was good and made a bucket load of money and bought real estate when :censor: was cheap.

Then dad retired.

The order matters as does "the times".