Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1110194 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #1560 on: August 14, 2017, 07:42:04 pm »

Yep, completely agree.  Even simple things like fries in a good quality gastropub make all the difference.  Nothing like fresh cut fries compared to frozen ones.  As for prices, yeah I agree it can get pricey for a good burger at a gastropub.  But most folks don't realize that the higher priced ingredients, higher overhead, higher paid trained kitchen staff all go into the price.

I'd argue that it cost no more in general overhead and no more in training to make a burger with good vs premium ingredients.  The only additional cost will be ingredients.  Which still doesn't turn a $6 burger into a $20 burger.

FFS...it's just a burger...I didn't have to learn any new technique when I started making "premium" burgers.

That's like saying you need special training to make a grill cheese with french bread and gruyere instead of Wonder Bread and Kraft singles.

Well in my experience, good quality Gastropubs have a highly trained Executive Chef and Sous Chef (which are obviously paid more) hence the extra overhead of a greasy spoon diner.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 14, 2017, 07:55:08 pm »

Yep, completely agree.  Even simple things like fries in a good quality gastropub make all the difference.  Nothing like fresh cut fries compared to frozen ones.  As for prices, yeah I agree it can get pricey for a good burger at a gastropub.  But most folks don't realize that the higher priced ingredients, higher overhead, higher paid trained kitchen staff all go into the price.

I'd argue that it cost no more in general overhead and no more in training to make a burger with good vs premium ingredients.  The only additional cost will be ingredients.  Which still doesn't turn a $6 burger into a $20 burger.

FFS...it's just a burger...I didn't have to learn any new technique when I started making "premium" burgers.

That's like saying you need special training to make a grill cheese with french bread and gruyere instead of Wonder Bread and Kraft singles.

Well in my experience, good quality Gastropubs have a highly trained Executive Chef and Sous Chef (which are obviously paid more) hence the extra overhead of a greasy spoon diner.

Right right....I meant in general at burger places or other joints where they charge princely sums for burgers.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #1562 on: August 14, 2017, 08:11:52 pm »
Yep, it's throwing the bun/bagel whatever on the flat top grill that makes a diner burger so good. That hot crispy glazed bun that comes from the grease....Mmmmm!

....and regular condiments like mustard,relish,fried onions, ketchup etc etc.....none of this frou-frou garlic aioli, tomato basil chutney stuff.

There's a time and place for both.

Well, to each his own but not in my book. There is a so called "gastropub" in the KV called the Barrelhead. There is virtually nothing on the menu I would want to eat.

edit

See....there's another "little thing that irritates me"....Gastropubs  ;D

I guess I won't be inviting you there for beers and lunch then, eh?   ;D

But to each their own is right.  I like both, but 9.9 times out of 10 I'll take some great "Gastropub" food over some ridiculously greasy spoon place.  I'll do a diner type place for a breakfast, but never found lunch or supper meals to be anything close to good.  Personally, I hated Reggies........but really enjoy Carmens.

I ate there last week when I missed you. Fries were good...burger was OK too but next time I'll get them to hold the tomato chutney as well as the runny fried egg...surely they have some mustard and relish somewhere back there?  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 14, 2017, 08:14:32 pm »
Yep, it's throwing the bun/bagel whatever on the flat top grill that makes a diner burger so good. That hot crispy glazed bun that comes from the grease....Mmmmm!

....and regular condiments like mustard,relish,fried onions, ketchup etc etc.....none of this frou-frou garlic aioli, tomato basil chutney stuff.

Well, to each his own but not in my book. There is a so called "gastropub" in the KV called the Barrelhead. There is virtually nothing on the menu I would want to eat.

edit

But to each their own is right.  I like both, but 9.9 times out of 10 I'll take some great "Gastropub" food over some ridiculously greasy spoon place.  I'll do a diner type place for a breakfast, but never found lunch or supper meals to be anything close to good.  Personally, I hated Reggies........but really enjoy Carmens.

I ate there last week when I missed you. Fries were good...burger was OK too but next time I'll get them to hold the tomato chutney as well as the runny fried egg...surely they have some mustard and relish somewhere back there?  ;D

The yolk is supposed to be runny....it oozes into all parts of the burger!  Yumm!!

Or did you mean the white was runny?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #1564 on: August 14, 2017, 08:27:39 pm »
I miss The Works. Excellent burgs [any one can be made vegan  ;D] and Barking Squirrel beer with a tower of rings....mmmmm.

Not part of my diet right now, so happy the temptation is not there  :)

The burgs here in Canberra all have beetroot on them [just nope]. Also, they are like 20 bucks minimum. Food is expensive here.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: August 14, 2017, 08:28:59 pm »

edit

The yolk is supposed to be runny....it oozes into all parts of the burger!  Yumm!!

Or did you mean the white was runny?

I suspect the yoke but I'm not sure. I had them hold the egg....can't stand runny yokes....should have had them hold the chutney as well.  :hurl:

As to cost...a beer and a burger and fries came to $30...seemed steep to me but then again the older I get the more things seem over priced.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:30:51 pm by sailor723 »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1566 on: August 14, 2017, 08:35:22 pm »
Should of read the menu if Chutney isn't your thing.    ;)

TBH BURGER
grass-fed local Atlantic beef & bacon patty topped house-smoked tomato chutney & fried sunny side up egg on brioche.

Next, try one of the burgers next door at Peddler's.....might be more up your alley.

SMOKEHOUSE BURGER (12.95)|7oz. of local Atlantic grass-fed beef topped with tomatoes, lettuce, and red onions on a brioche bun. Comes with your choice of a standard side.

CAJUN WHISKEY BURGER (14.95)|7oz. of local Atlantic grass-fed beef topped with house-smoked cajun cheddar, whiskey glaze, and crispy onions on a brioche bun speared with a dill pickle. Comes with your choice of a standard side

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 14, 2017, 08:42:08 pm »
MMmmm....if I can't have a potato bun....Brioche is next choice!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: August 14, 2017, 08:59:20 pm »
Should of read the menu if Chutney isn't your thing.    ;)

TBH BURGER
grass-fed local Atlantic beef & bacon patty topped house-smoked tomato chutney & fried sunny side up egg on brioche.

Next, try one of the burgers next door at Peddler's.....might be more up your alley.

SMOKEHOUSE BURGER (12.95)|7oz. of local Atlantic grass-fed beef topped with tomatoes, lettuce, and red onions on a brioche bun. Comes with your choice of a standard side.

CAJUN WHISKEY BURGER (14.95)|7oz. of local Atlantic grass-fed beef topped with house-smoked cajun cheddar, whiskey glaze, and crispy onions on a brioche bun speared with a dill pickle. Comes with your choice of a standard side

No big deal. I thought I'd give the chutney a try...a sort of "nothing ventured nothing gained sort of thing". Definitely not my thing on a burger. Thinking about it that burger might be OK with the egg on it after all if the egg was cooked more and you added lots of ketchup and salt and pepper.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #1569 on: August 14, 2017, 09:42:02 pm »
Getting the IKEA "back to school' sale flyer.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: August 14, 2017, 09:44:55 pm »

Err..why is that irritating? 

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #1571 on: August 14, 2017, 09:48:34 pm »

Ever since I was a kid I have hated seeing back-to-school flyers.  They signal the end of the summer.  I have never had the February blues, I get the September blues.  I was a straight A+ student from K - 12, but I pretty much hated school. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: August 14, 2017, 09:49:31 pm »

Ever since I was a kid I have hated seeing back-to-school flyers.  They signal the end of the summer.  I have never had the February blues, I get the September blues.  I was a straight A+ student from K - 12, but I pretty much hated school.

Why did you hate school?

I hated school because I was mostly bored.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:04 pm »
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the end of any holiday, Christmas, Easter break (we don't have March Break in Newfoundland), and even Sunday nights would get me down.  The end of summer was, of course, the worst.  I made great friends at school, and had nice teachers who liked me.  I was motivated to do well because it got me praise from my parents (among other rewards -- as a good kid who did well in school, I had no curfew, and my parents tolerated a few shenanigans such as a little underage drinking, but I was warned that if I were ever nabbed by the police, I'd spend the night in the drunk tank and pay my own fine -- drinking and driving was of course, out of the question) and teachers, and during high school, I realized that academic success was my ticket out of Newfoundland -- I got a scholarship for McGill.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: August 14, 2017, 10:07:01 pm »
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the end of any holiday, Christmas, Easter break (we don't have March Break in Newfoundland), and even Sunday nights would get me down.  The end of summer was, of course, the worst.  I made great friends at school, and had nice teachers who liked me.  I was motivated to do well because it got me praise from my parents (among other rewards -- as a good kid who did well in school, I had no curfew, and my parents tolerated a few shenanigans such as a little underage drinking, but I was warned that if I were ever nabbed by the police, I'd spend the night in the drunk tank and pay my own fine -- drinking and driving was of course, out of the question) and teachers, and during high school, I realized that academic success was my ticket out of Newfoundland -- I got a scholarship for McGill.

Sounds like you did alright for hating school.   ;)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:12 pm »
Sounds like you did alright for hating school.   ;)

When I realized that academic success could be profitable on a bunch of levels, my approach to school became quite mercenary.  Academic success was an effective means to an end.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 14, 2017, 10:34:45 pm »
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the end of any holiday, Christmas, Easter break (we don't have March Break in Newfoundland), and even Sunday nights would get me down.

I know exactly what you mean. It took me years to learn to deal with the feeling of dread I would feel every Sunday night.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1577 on: August 15, 2017, 07:16:56 am »
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the end of any holiday, Christmas, Easter break (we don't have March Break in Newfoundland), and even Sunday nights would get me down.

I know exactly what you mean. It took me years to learn to deal with the feeling of dread I would feel every Sunday night.

Me too! 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: August 15, 2017, 08:25:57 am »
Too true, end of summer sadness is a very common thing.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1579 on: August 15, 2017, 09:37:26 am »
 ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdrL3QxjyVw  ;D

Still don't like seeing the back to school flyers.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken