Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1110222 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #1260 on: April 25, 2017, 09:08:14 am »
Ok...an irritating question.  Turned on the Apple at home this AM and it auto opens in Safari if you click a link in an email (normally use Firefox), say when checking your credit card statement, which is what I was doing.  As I was logging in to the web page, a second page opened in a new tab, and it looks just like you would expect an apple web page to look like, and it said I have a trojan virus (3 in total) and if I didn't scan my computer right now, I would have 30 seconds and my computer would be toast.  So what did I do?  I closed Safari, opened Firefox, and checked it from there.  Huh...5 minutes later and I'm still not broken.

So, question is, how do you scan an Apple with a trustworthy internet product to see if you really have a virus or not?  All I know is how to turn a computer on, and how to look at Kijiji & Craigslist.  Fix one? Pfft...nope.  Stupid is as stupid does.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1261 on: April 25, 2017, 09:41:18 am »
https://usa.kaspersky.com/

Apples aren't immune to this kind kind of shenanigans.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1262 on: April 25, 2017, 10:34:23 am »
Ok...an irritating question.  Turned on the Apple at home this AM and it auto opens in Safari if you click a link in an email (normally use Firefox), say when checking your credit card statement, which is what I was doing.  As I was logging in to the web page, a second page opened in a new tab, and it looks just like you would expect an apple web page to look like, and it said I have a trojan virus (3 in total) and if I didn't scan my computer right now, I would have 30 seconds and my computer would be toast.  So what did I do?  I closed Safari, opened Firefox, and checked it from there.  Huh...5 minutes later and I'm still not broken.

So, question is, how do you scan an Apple with a trustworthy internet product to see if you really have a virus or not?  All I know is how to turn a computer on, and how to look at Kijiji & Craigslist.  Fix one? Pfft...nope.  Stupid is as stupid does.

You can change the default browser from Safari if you want. Open System Preferences, click General, and there's a "Default web browser" dropdown. Any links you click outside of a browser will open in that browser.

Honestly though, I'm not sure why you would use Firefox at this point. On the Mac Safari is regarded as being the most performant browser while Chrome is the most standards-compliant.

Are you sure the link in the email was legit? If it opened a second tab like that it sounds like a phishing scam to me. The alternative is that you do have some malware on your computer. Be careful about installing anything that pops up even if it looks legit. This happened to my wife last year. She got a popup saying Adobe Flash was out of date so clicked the update button and she got all kinds of malware.

I used AVG to get rid of it: http://www.avg.com/ca-en/homepage

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #1263 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:21 am »

So, question is, how do you scan an Apple with a trustworthy internet product to see if you really have a virus or not?

a lot easier on Apple.

just delete your profile.  create a new user.  all threats, gone.

yes, Apple stuff isn't immune, but very much less likely to suffer catastrophic failure  indeed infected, unlike infected Windows PC.   (although Win10 seems to be good.  haven't used it much so i'm not sure either, however)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1264 on: April 25, 2017, 10:46:18 am »

So, question is, how do you scan an Apple with a trustworthy internet product to see if you really have a virus or not?

a lot easier on Apple.

just delete your profile.  create a new user.  all threats, gone.

That seems like overkill.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 25, 2017, 08:26:58 pm »
Honestly though, I'm not sure why you would use Firefox at this point. On the Mac Safari is regarded as being the most performant browser while Chrome is the most standards-compliant.

Are you sure the link in the email was legit? If it opened a second tab like that it sounds like a phishing scam to me. The alternative is that you do have some malware on your computer. Be careful about installing anything that pops up even if it looks legit. This happened to my wife last year. She got a popup saying Adobe Flash was out of date so clicked the update button and she got all kinds of malware.

I just like Firefox and the way it works (I'm used to it).  Plus all my favorites are in it...I'd have to re-bookmark everything.  :P And I've never gotten a 2nd pop up window happening in FFox. The link was good, it came from my CU M/C like every month.  So who knows, I know I don't.  Seems to be working fine so guess my MAC aint dead yet.  Maybe someone's sneaking in the backdoor.  How would you ever know.

I did recently update my Adobe too...and I got another outdated notice just last week.  Perhaps I is fawked.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1266 on: April 25, 2017, 08:53:14 pm »
Why are some folks so negative and seemingly instinctive to want to see others fail?  I don' get it.  I was headlined in a couple of articles in our local newspaper today regarding my brewery expansion.  Both my Mom and my wife were approached by people that they know, who obviously read the articles, that expressed an unbelievable amount of negativity.  As in, "are you sure he can afford it", "what waste of tax payers dollars", "must be nice to be given a government handout", and "are you sure he knows what he's doing?"   Why the fcck to people have to be so negative?  Personally, I applaud folks that try and give it a go on their own.  But nope, some folks just love to talk sh!t about anything positive that some folks are trying to do.   >:( :banghead:

Needed to vent as some people truly :censor: me off!
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:53 pm »
I'll confess to watching a video your daughter posted last night, a CBC (?) news clip about your new brewery, an interview with you.  Gotta say...I don't know you as well as some, but I was excited for you, and impressed that you have the balls and smarts to go after this whole hog.  I'm sure I don't even fall near as far into the group on here who are proud of what you've done (because they drink beer and I don't  ;D).  You're good...those other people are idiots.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 25, 2017, 09:22:43 pm »

Apples? Worms?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 25, 2017, 09:24:38 pm »
Why are some folks so negative and seemingly instinctive to want to see others fail?  I don' get it.  I was headlined in a couple of articles in our local newspaper today regarding my brewery expansion.  Both my Mom and my wife were approached by people that they know, who obviously read the articles, that expressed an unbelievable amount of negativity.  As in, "are you sure he can afford it", "what waste of tax payers dollars", "must be nice to be given a government handout", and "are you sure he knows what he's doing?"   Why the fcck to people have to be so negative?  Personally, I applaud folks that try and give it a go on their own.  But nope, some folks just love to talk sh!t about anything positive that some folks are trying to do.   >:( :banghead:

Seems like two separate issues. Whether people want others to fail, and whether business should be given tax breaks / subsidies. Not the same question.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1270 on: April 25, 2017, 09:27:02 pm »
But nope, some folks just love to talk sh!t about anything positive that some folks are trying to do.   >:( :banghead:

Welcome to the world of taking chances and following your dreams.  You're going to find a LOT of negative people.  They're probably stuck in some job they don't like in a life they don't like and they can't stand when someone else has the audacity to roll the dice and have a go at something.  My daughter now doesn't bother telling people about her career aspirations.  She just shrugs her shoulders and finds something else to talk about.  99% of the time she's greeted with derision and a stream of negative comments - the only people that are encouraging are people in the industry and my climbing partners.  Oh, and her grade 6 teacher.  She ran into her recently and she seemed genuinely excited for her former student.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1271 on: April 25, 2017, 09:29:26 pm »

All the more reason to WIN, Shane. Leave the losers in the dust.

Yep, my thoughts exactly Paul.  Doesn't change a damn thing with me personally, it just amazes me how negative people are.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1272 on: April 25, 2017, 09:33:06 pm »

That's too bad Shane, but there are always the naysayers out there! I can honestly say that all of the conversations I've had with people about your brewery have been very positive, and I've had many!  Then again I'm a little more selective with whom I initiate conversations with these days anyway and just try to avoid the usual busy-body boat anchor types. 

You're doin alright man!  :winner:

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1273 on: April 25, 2017, 09:33:59 pm »
But nope, some folks just love to talk sh!t about anything positive that some folks are trying to do.   >:( :banghead:

Welcome to the world of taking chances and following your dreams.  You're going to find a LOT of negative people.  They're probably stuck in some job they don't like in a life they don't like and they can't stand when someone else has the audacity to roll the dice and have a go at something.  My daughter now doesn't bother telling people about her career aspirations.  She just shrugs her shoulders and finds something else to talk about.  99% of the time she's greeted with derision and a stream of negative comments - the only people that are encouraging are people in the industry and my climbing partners.  Oh, and her grade 6 teacher.  She ran into her recently and she seemed genuinely excited for her former student.

I think the thing the p!sses me off the most is that my Wife and Mom were at the brunt of the comments today.  Just not right.  I guess no one had the balls to say anything to me personally. 

And good on your Daughter, she seems like a fantastic young woman and leading down a fulfilling and enjoyable path in life.  Kudos to her!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 25, 2017, 10:34:03 pm »
Get used to it.

There's always going to be haters. Always.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: April 25, 2017, 10:46:20 pm »

Make note of the Debbie Downers and throw it back in their face after you become a big success! Taking the initiative with a venture like yours obviously takes guts and is to be commended.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #1276 on: April 25, 2017, 11:35:43 pm »
There seems to be a segment of the population in Saint John that is resentful of success and who delights in seeing people fail. Ignore them Shane and concentrate on moving forward.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1277 on: April 25, 2017, 11:53:12 pm »
There seems to be a segment of the population in Saint John the world that is resentful of success and who delights in seeing people fail. Ignore them Shane and concentrate on moving forward.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 26, 2017, 07:05:57 am »
No matter what field you're in, there are people who will hate you for success, or for even trying.

And here in Saint John, the 'tall poppy' syndrome seems to override everything. 

Those same people who question your ability will be happily drinking your beer later on.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #1279 on: April 26, 2017, 08:31:50 am »
As soon as you make more than  $100 there will be people who want to increase your taxes.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.