Author Topic: Things seen in the neighborhood  (Read 163538 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: Things seen in the neighborhood
« Reply #840 on: August 10, 2021, 10:35:09 am »
Yeah, I’m thinking of reasons each morning to go drive it. With that exhaust it’s anything but subtle though.
Every time I drive it reminds me of Steve McQueen.
Railton

A burnout is mandatory.

At every stop sign, stop light, etc... of course, right!?  :stick:  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #841 on: August 10, 2021, 11:02:55 am »
Just saw this a bit up the street.

Mr Pickypants

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #842 on: August 10, 2021, 11:23:42 am »

Boss!
How much, details?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #843 on: August 10, 2021, 11:42:30 am »

Boss!
How much, details?
Railton

Sign says:
'68 Dart GT and a phone number.

I can get the number if you'd like.  I've never seen it before a couple of days ago.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #844 on: August 10, 2021, 02:18:25 pm »

Boss!
How much, details?
Railton

Sign says:
'68 Dart GT and a phone number.

I can get the number if you'd like.  I've never seen it before a couple of days ago.

Sweet!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #845 on: August 12, 2021, 02:27:21 pm »
I chuckle to myself every time I pass this boat on my morning walk
Railton

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #846 on: August 12, 2021, 02:39:43 pm »
I chuckle to myself every time I pass this boat on my morning walk
Railton

I remember seeing a small boat called 'Original Quote' attached to a much larger one called 'Change Order'.  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 20, 2021, 05:50:46 pm »

That takes talent

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 20, 2021, 06:31:29 pm »
^^^WTF??!
Railton

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #849 on: August 20, 2021, 06:33:48 pm »

That takes talent
What is that blue car on the side?  Gremlin?

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #850 on: August 20, 2021, 07:28:12 pm »
Pacer wagon.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #851 on: August 20, 2021, 08:22:10 pm »
That takes talent

Or a very special kind of stupid. 

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 20, 2021, 08:51:16 pm »
Pacer wagon.

I don't know how much (low ball) amount the insurance will offer to "replace" his/her Pacer wagon?  :think:
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: August 21, 2021, 06:24:37 pm »
In the neighbourhood news tonight - 42 luxury cars stolen over four weeks in Oakville - mostly in New Oakville North of Hyw#5 and close to Mississauga.
According to HRPS, a total of 124 vehicles were stolen in our town since January 2021.
Railton
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amidst the rising concern of residents regarding the spree of luxury car thefts in the past few weeks, Halton police urge the community to take preventative steps and stay alert. The police continue to investigate these electronic thefts and confirm the recent spike. In the recent past, most high-end car thefts were reported in Oakville's Iroquois Ridge North and Glenorchy communities.

The residents reported 42 car thefts in the last four weeks. Though the thieves targeted most vehicles overnight, they stole some cars recently in broad daylight. Some councillors have offered help to organize community safety meetings, to highlight the shared responsibility and raise awareness,

The Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) arrested three males last week in connection with these thefts, targeting specific makes and models of luxury cars with keyless entry and push-start technology in Oakville. According to HRPS, a total of 124 vehicles were stolen in our town since January 2021. Of all these crimes, 66 thefts relied on relay or reprogramming technology. These thefts usually happen in less than a minute and target Lexus vehicles, Toyota models, Land Rover Range Rover and Ford pickup trucks.

How does a relay theft work?

"Relay device" is a technology that thieves use to find a key fob signal inside a house. In such cases, the thieves do not break in into the residence to find the signal. Once detected, the signal is amplified and relayed so that the thieves can unlock, start and steal the vehicle. As a result, even though the victims possess their key fob, their cars get stolen.

How does a reprogramming theft work?

In this kind of operation, the thieves first enter the vehicle mechanically, using a tool. Then, they override the vehicle's onboard diagnostic system and reprogram a blank key fob to start and steal the car.

"The Halton Regional Police Service takes these types of thefts very seriously. We can assure the community that investigative measures are currently being utilized in efforts to identify the person(s) responsible and to prevent further thefts from occurring," Constable Steve Elms stated. The police urge the community to be aware of this trend of electronic thefts and take preventative measures.

Halton police advise all to:

Park the vehicle in a locked and secured garage
    Install an on-board diagnostic blocker
    Install a steering wheel lock device
    Combine the above measures with an aftermarket GPS tracking device
    Place vehicle key fob inside a radio frequency shielding bag when not in use
    Lock the vehicle at all times
    Equip the vehicle with an alarm
    Install home security cameras that capture the exterior of one's residence, including the driveway
An update on the car thefts in Oakville - Looks like the perps are out of towners.
Police suggest covering your VIN numbers now.
Railton
https://oakvillenews.org/news/hrps-make-two-arrests-in-connection-with-oakville-auto-theft/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 06:27:04 pm by Railton »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #854 on: August 21, 2021, 09:05:30 pm »

A well maintained Sable LS, just like this one on Upper Middle this morning.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #855 on: August 21, 2021, 10:26:00 pm »
We had vehicle thefts in Ottawa and I think the perps were all from Montreal.

My colleague's Highlander was retrieved by the Montréal police.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #856 on: August 23, 2021, 07:36:56 am »

Can't recall the last time I would have seen a Sable. When I took driver's ed in 1995 the car was a 1996 Sable. They had literally just gone on sale and it might have been the first one I'd even seen.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #857 on: August 23, 2021, 08:08:00 am »
In the neighbourhood news tonight - 42 luxury cars stolen over four weeks in Oakville - mostly in New Oakville North of Hyw#5 and close to Mississauga.
According to HRPS, a total of 124 vehicles were stolen in our town since January 2021.
Railton
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amidst the rising concern of residents regarding the spree of luxury car thefts in the past few weeks, Halton police urge the community to take preventative steps and stay alert. The police continue to investigate these electronic thefts and confirm the recent spike. In the recent past, most high-end car thefts were reported in Oakville's Iroquois Ridge North and Glenorchy communities.

The residents reported 42 car thefts in the last four weeks. Though the thieves targeted most vehicles overnight, they stole some cars recently in broad daylight. Some councillors have offered help to organize community safety meetings, to highlight the shared responsibility and raise awareness,

The Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) arrested three males last week in connection with these thefts, targeting specific makes and models of luxury cars with keyless entry and push-start technology in Oakville. According to HRPS, a total of 124 vehicles were stolen in our town since January 2021. Of all these crimes, 66 thefts relied on relay or reprogramming technology. These thefts usually happen in less than a minute and target Lexus vehicles, Toyota models, Land Rover Range Rover and Ford pickup trucks.

How does a relay theft work?

"Relay device" is a technology that thieves use to find a key fob signal inside a house. In such cases, the thieves do not break in into the residence to find the signal. Once detected, the signal is amplified and relayed so that the thieves can unlock, start and steal the vehicle. As a result, even though the victims possess their key fob, their cars get stolen.

How does a reprogramming theft work?

In this kind of operation, the thieves first enter the vehicle mechanically, using a tool. Then, they override the vehicle's onboard diagnostic system and reprogram a blank key fob to start and steal the car.

"The Halton Regional Police Service takes these types of thefts very seriously. We can assure the community that investigative measures are currently being utilized in efforts to identify the person(s) responsible and to prevent further thefts from occurring," Constable Steve Elms stated. The police urge the community to be aware of this trend of electronic thefts and take preventative measures.

Install home security cameras that capture the exterior of one's residence, including the driveway
An update on the car thefts in Oakville - Looks like the perps are out of towners.
Police suggest covering your VIN numbers now.
Railton
https://oakvillenews.org/news/hrps-make-two-arrests-in-connection-with-oakville-auto-theft/

:rofl2:

Manufacturers need to figure out a good solution, this is rampant in he UK too. Here's a video of how fast it is.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/07/uk-police-warn-drivers-to-store-high-tech-keys-in-metal-tins-to-prevent-car-theft/

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #858 on: August 23, 2021, 10:06:42 am »

Can't recall the last time I would have seen a Sable. When I took driver's ed in 1995 the car was a 1996 Sable. They had literally just gone on sale and it might have been the first one I'd even seen.

Yes, I haven't seen one for years. I guess it's not a collectable car so ppl did not baby them. Which is sad since IMO the car looks good and the LS has a DOHC V6. The one I saw had old Ontario plates and was driven by an elderly gent.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #859 on: August 23, 2021, 11:03:00 am »
Transmission failures killed off most of those Sables / Taurus. Made of glass and did not last long.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.