Author Topic: Things seen in the neighborhood  (Read 181779 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: Things seen in the neighborhood
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2017, 07:09:38 pm »
^ I know a lot of developments in Burlington have sidewalks on both sides of the street.

I kinda get the point about not having sidewalks at all (I'm in favour of much narrower streets too to slow traffic but this causes issues in the winter and for delivery vehicles) but I think accessibility guidelines might now require them in ON at least.

Many of the newer ones in Burlington near Dundas street, have one sidewalk.  The ones that have both, have smaller boulevards, like you couldn't park a van on the boulevard part of the driveway.  I like the streets wider, less distance between you and the house across the street.

I was specifically thinking of alton village. Which is by Dundas. The boulevards are tiny for sure.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2017, 07:13:05 pm »
^ I know a lot of developments in Burlington have sidewalks on both sides of the street.

I kinda get the point about not having sidewalks at all (I'm in favour of much narrower streets too to slow traffic but this causes issues in the winter and for delivery vehicles) but I think accessibility guidelines might now require them in ON at least.

Many of the newer ones in Burlington near Dundas street, have one sidewalk.  The ones that have both, have smaller boulevards, like you couldn't park a van on the boulevard part of the driveway.  I like the streets wider, less distance between you and the house across the street.

I was specifically thinking of alton village. Which is by Dundas. The boulevards are tiny for sure.

Didn't realize you were so close.  I have 3 lawns that I cut on Thomas Alton.  Can't stand that neighbourhood! It's busy, and the side streets are narrow.  Weird parking on Thomas Alton, lawns are so small I can't use my self propelled mower. 

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2017, 09:54:27 pm »

Didn't realize you were so close.  I have 3 lawns that I cut on Thomas Alton.  Can't stand that neighbourhood! It's busy, and the side streets are narrow.  Weird parking on Thomas Alton, lawns are so small I can't use my self propelled mower.

I have family that live there. I live in Ottawa

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2017, 10:11:20 pm »

Maybe the Fit fits on the boulevard when you visit, :-)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2017, 07:31:35 pm »

Somebody pays you to cut a lawn so small that there is inadequate space to use a self-propelled mower?

Not sure what the question is?  I have 4 mowers.  My new piece of crap Toro Recycler RWD Self-Propelled, a used MTD 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton, has to be 10 years old (not sure bought used), my backup Craftsman FWD self-propelled, and my backyard only Yardworks from Weels.  With small lawns that take less than 20 minutes, I don't use the Self-Propelled mowers, the lighter standard mower is easier to handle. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2017, 07:44:20 pm »

Somebody pays you to cut a lawn so small that there is inadequate space to use a self-propelled mower?

Not sure what the question is?  I have 4 mowers.  My new piece of crap Toro Recycler RWD Self-Propelled, a used MTD 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton, has to be 10 years old (not sure bought used), my backup Craftsman FWD self-propelled, and my backyard only Yardworks from Weels.  With small lawns that take less than 20 minutes, I don't use the Self-Propelled mowers, the lighter standard mower is easier to handle.

I believe the question is "If the lawn is that small why doesn't the lazy fack cut it himself?".   I could be wrong though.  ;D
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2017, 08:06:38 pm »
My neighbour across the street has a pair of Lexus RX350s for him and his wife.  They also have a pristine 2000-ish Honda CRV that sees only occasional use now - I'm hoping to see a for sale sign on it sometime, and then I might snatch it up.  They just left for all of June in their Prevost - I'll see what's up when they get back.  I didn't even know they still had until it got shuffled around on their drive the other day.

Yes, their motorhome costs as much as a condo in Toronto.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2017, 09:38:33 pm »

I believe the question is "If the lawn is that small why doesn't the lazy fack cut it himself?".   I could be wrong though.  ;D

:rofl2:

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2017, 07:22:22 am »
They are in their 70's.....

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2017, 08:06:12 am »

Maybe the Fit fits on the boulevard when you visit, :-)

Well The boulevard is probably as narrow as my fit. But they're on a corner lot with a shared-ish entrance so no go there either  ;D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2017, 08:57:56 am »
They are in their 70's.....

I do 70-100 kms bike rides with people in their 70's. So are you trying to say, they are too busy to cut their own lawn?

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2017, 09:35:05 am »

If I were rich enough I'd be rocking some sort of massive front yard, 3 car garage + with a "U" driveway like the big dogs down the street. There's a guy with six garages down the street - 3 belonging to a separated garage/workshop in his massive front yard. All done in natural stone. I want these people to be my friends. lol

Edit, here if you're curious:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/14+Old+Cottage+Pl,+Kitchener,+ON+N2K+4K2,+Canada/@43.4934134,-80.4742741,161m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x882bf33e84c42a61:0x151c7aa90e241362!8m2!3d43.4934134!4d-80.4737269

I see his neighbour's place is on market:
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18000104/4-Old-Cottage-Place-Kitchener-Ontario-N2K4K2
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:45:36 am by carcrazed »

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2017, 01:28:21 pm »
What are the odds of two B7s in a 1KM radius? How many are even in Canada?

AP, builder nor developer chooses the sidewalk - it's the City. FWIW city of Kitchener and planners are pushing for shorter front yards to increase a "sense of community." Terrible, I know.

If I had my way I wouldn't put a sidewalk in at all in a tucked away subdivision where there's little traffic anyway......

PS, I am totally bringing the hood hood car wise (well not really...but). I've had the TL 4 years this May. Crazy - didn't think it had been that long. Starting to get the itch for something new as the TL has done its job as the fiscally conservative and reliable choice while I had children, bought into the business, and built a house......

Regarding driveways in Kitchener, the new zoning by-law will surely make matters worse.  What a :censor:-show.  Single-lane driveway and single-car garage for any lots less than 40ft wide!  City planners want to make more "appealing streets".  This will certainly result in more on-street parking which would be contrary to their goal IMO.

KITCHENER — The latest changes to the city's zoning bylaw aim to make Kitchener's residential streets more inviting places, with plenty of front porches, a livelier street scene and less prominent garages and driveways.

Proposed changes to the zoning bylaw would prohibit homeowners on smaller lots — less than 40 feet or 12 metres wide — from having anything bigger than a single-lane driveway or a single-car garage.

That could be controversial, which is why planners want to hear from people about what they think of the proposed changes.

"We want to get a sense of what works well and what doesn't," said Natalie Goss, a senior planner with the city. "There will be opinions on this. That's why we need to get out and table something" and hear from people.

City planners are in the midst of an overhaul of the city's zoning bylaw, parts of which date back more than three decades. They're just starting consultations on the final phase, which deals with residential zones, and which affect by far the largest number of properties in the city — anywhere from 50,000 to 60,000 properties.

The limits on driveway width and garage size try to strike a balance, between property owners' desire to be able to park more cars on their own property, and the neighbourhood's desire to have more appealing streets, Goss said.

Right now, zoning only specifies a minimum width for driveways. In areas with narrow lots, homeowners sometimes put in a double-width driveway to accommodate a second car. But that can sometimes mean there isn't enough room between driveways to park on the street. It can also leave very little room to pile up the snow people shovel off those wide driveways, and very little room for boulevard trees.

The new zoning also puts more limits on garages, saying a garage can't be more than half of the front façade of a house, and can't stick out more than 1.8 metres in front of the house.

Where a garage does project beyond the façade, the rules would require a front porch that extends at least as much as the garage, so that the garage doesn't dominate the streetscape. Front porches would need to be at least 1.5-metres wide, so that they are more than just a decoration, and can accommodate at least a couple of chairs, Goss said.

"We're trying to encourage more activity in the front yards, more eyes on the street," Goss said. "We heard that loud and clear through the consultation on the (city's new) neighbourhood strategy. We heard that from throughout the city, the desire for front porches, which kind of surprised us. It wasn't just in the older areas."

Porches encourage people to spend time in the front of their homes, rather than in the more private backyards, Goss said. Neighbours are more likely to run into each other and gather, and neighbourhoods can theoretically become safer.

In established areas, the rules for garages for new infill would depend on what's already seen in that neighbourhood. Garages wouldn't be allowed to project in front of the house at all. Garages might be required to be detached, set back further than the house, or not even allowed at all, in areas such as Cedar Hill where many homes have no garages.

Other changes in the proposed zoning include rules — mandated by the province — to allow "gentle intensification" by making it easier to convert detached buildings such as garages into coach houses or garden suites. In an overheated housing market, such rules could also make home ownership more affordable, Goss said.

More information is available on the city's website under Comprehensive Review of the Zoning Bylaw.

City planners are holding a first consultation on the proposed changes at city hall from 4 to 8 p.m. on June 21. More meetings on specific changes will be held in each ward over the next 18 months.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/7346283-new-zoning-would-encourage-front-porches-limit-driveway-size-in-kitchener/

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »
Regarding driveways in Kitchener, the new zoning by-law will surely make matters worse.  What a :censor:-show.  Single-lane driveway and single-car garage for any lots less than 40ft wide!  City planners want to make more "appealing streets".  This will certainly result in more on-street parking which would be contrary to their goal IMO.

Actually, that isn't contrary to the goal at all. On street parking acts as a buffer between the street and the sidewalk which makes pedestrians feel safer. It also naturally slows traffic.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »

Actually, that isn't contrary to the goal at all. On street parking acts as a buffer between the street and the sidewalk which makes pedestrians feel safer. It also naturally slows traffic.

Does this appeal to you?  This is a street in Kitchener (Activa Ave.) with single-lane driveways and single-car garages. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2017, 01:42:51 pm »

Does this appeal to you?  This is a street in Kitchener (Activa Ave.) with single-lane driveways and single-car garages.

It doesn't appeal to me because I hate suburbia but I don't see anything wrong with it in terms of the street parking.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2017, 01:43:26 pm »

If you don't like it move to area that you like  ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2017, 01:44:01 pm »
Why aren't back alleys a thing anymore?

We're lucky to have a back alley, and 90% of the houses here have a garage and/or parking off the alley. The houses aren't ugly things with a giant garage door dominating the facade, and the street isn't cluttered with cars.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »

All true Oliver but it looks like :censor: in real life. People are slobs. Best part about it though is the traffic calming - agreed.

I guess it depends on the neighbourhood. And simply mandating single lane driveways and single car garages in isolation doesn't solve much. If people still need two cars because the neighbourhood is not serviced by transit or is walkable, that's obviously an issue. And if your primary goal is to make the streetscape more appealing then why not make alleyways so that you don't have driveways at all. Growing up in Winnipeg they were common and it definitely made the streets more attractive.

If people have a problem with the aesthetics of on-street parking I find that a bit ironic. The typical suburban street is designed for cars first above all else. Forty five wide, huge corner radiuses, all houses have at least a double garage which sticks out prominently in front of the house, etc. But yet, cars can't be visible because that's ugly.  :P

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2017, 02:00:30 pm »
Well in KW you can't build a house with a garage projecting from the house for that very reason. Kitchener also employs the 70-30 rule with garages so you can't have too much garage. In the area where I built my house a lot of these new techniques are used (in fact the Draft Plan of subdivision was done by Dave's firm). However, there are also strict architectural controls so the houses are all brick and stone and for the most part designed decently. Also the houses are generally large a wide so it looks better. It's also a more "affluent" area so people tend to spend more money on nice landscaping so it works.

But this is the exception to the rule for sure.

Are those architectural controls put in place by the municipality or by the developer of the neighbourhoods?

Some of the new neighbourhoods here pride themselves on their "restrictive covenants" that mandate things like a certain percentage of the facade having to be brick or stone. But the percentage is quite small so a lot of these houses are quite half-assed in terms of design. It also seems popular to place the stone on the garage portion of the house but not anywhere else, which seems odd to me.