Author Topic: Things seen in the neighborhood  (Read 181759 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Things seen in the neighborhood
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2017, 02:05:42 pm »
Our Victorian Semi in Cabbagetown had a lane and we parked in the back yard.   Our neighbour, a surgeon at St Mikes scored an on street permit as although he could have parked in his back yard  the lane was  was never ploughed ever  so he claimed he could not get to work quickly ( all 1.5KMs of it)   As he had an AWD Cherokee I though that this was a rather dubious argument...never mind.

Here in G we have a double drive, a single garage, no sidewalks but a boulevard allowance. The other side of the street has a sidewalk...I'm told that they over there voted for a sidewalk and the mean people on our side voted against...this was decades ago.   Nice to have a vote.

Our single garage added 20 years after the house was built sticks out.  All the other houses on the street have their garages flush with the building. I wonder if ours was built before G had a rule like KW. I don't know it is does tho' there are plenty of newer houses with sticking out garages.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »
Well in KW you can't build a house with a garage projecting from the house for that very reason. Kitchener also employs the 70-30 rule with garages so you can't have too much garage. In the area where I built my house a lot of these new techniques are used (in fact the Draft Plan of subdivision was done by Dave's firm). However, there are also strict architectural controls so the houses are all brick and stone and for the most part designed decently. Also the houses are generally large a wide so it looks better. It's also a more "affluent" area so people tend to spend more money on nice landscaping so it works.

But this is the exception to the rule for sure.

Are those architectural controls put in place by the municipality or by the developer of the neighbourhoods?

Some of the new neighbourhoods here pride themselves on their "restrictive covenants" that mandate things like a certain percentage of the facade having to be brick or stone. But the percentage is quite small so a lot of these houses are quite half-assed in terms of design. It also seems popular to place the stone on the garage portion of the house but not anywhere else, which seems odd to me.

Both, but the City ones are [much] lower. The ones that are done right the developer has chosen to do it that way. I just bought 105 lots in an area like this (again Dave's firm is the planner I'm working with) and everything has to be all brick and stone, real timber, no vinyl allowed, and everything "french country" inspired. It will end up being a really nice place with ponds, forest, etc. But man, it certainly costs the builder a fortune and it may not have worked well but we're lucky the market is crazy.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2017, 10:05:31 pm »
The other option is to go full blown Montreal and have NO frontages.... and expensive snow removal instead.

I really don't understand how a smaller driveway helps with the community. If anything, pushing the houses further back on the lot means there's more room to play in the front, and the driveway can be used by kids for chalk drawing, etc. Single wide driveways is just a nuisance for most families.

I'm thinking about my first place in a year or two, live alone, and still want a double wide driveway. I'd compromise if I moved close t downtown though.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2017, 08:28:29 pm »
Saturday Grocery getters in the Bronte Sobeys parking lot.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2017, 02:15:54 pm »
No picture but a Chevrolet Bolt  8) ; it looks small compared to all of the SUV's surrounding it (about 164" length compared to 180" + length).

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2017, 09:26:19 am »
The stairs may be temporary, I've seen that before on new construction houses.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2017, 12:30:11 pm »
Why aren't back alleys a thing anymore?

We're lucky to have a back alley, and 90% of the houses here have a garage and/or parking off the alley. The houses aren't ugly things with a giant garage door dominating the facade, and the street isn't cluttered with cars.

They take up space.. I grew up in a community where many houses had triple front garages and back alleys. Since the lots were quite large the cool dads built detached garages in the rear (shop/project cars/lounge) and the triple handled daily drivers, kids bikes and street hockey.

Now we have a City saying this type of housing density is irresponsible and people would rather live vertically stacked on one another in an inner city infill. Where does the street hockey happen?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2017, 12:34:44 pm »

We're lucky to have a back alley, and 90% of the houses here have a garage and/or parking off the alley. The houses aren't ugly things with a giant garage door dominating the facade, and the street isn't cluttered with cars.

They take up space.. I grew up in a community where many houses had triple front garages and back alleys. Since the lots were quite large the cool dads built detached garages in the rear (shop/project cars/lounge) and the triple handled daily drivers, kids bikes and street hockey.

Now we have a City saying this type of housing density is irresponsible and people would rather live vertically stacked on one another in an inner city infill. Where does the street hockey happen?

Thats what I was looking for when we were buying a house, I wanted a double attached front garage and a back alley with space for a future garage/shop....not happening.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2017, 12:53:58 pm »

I grew up in Toronto, parking on the street , back alleys were put in late '50's
We play ball hockey on the street

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2017, 01:03:12 pm »
Backalleys weren't a thing in the Maritimes. At least not anywhere I lived. Seems like a waste of space to me.

They aren't plowed here so a lot of people end up parking in front of their houses on the street anyway.

I saw a new Corvette at one of the neighbours. I think it was a visitor. White with black trim. Looked very sharp.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2017, 01:19:52 pm »

The Victorian bits of TO have back alleys.    Very recently I read that the city might, just might allow residential to face the alleys...I don't believe it, When we were there it was nigh on impossible to have permission to have a garage there but you could have a big tall locked gate with backyard parking.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2017, 01:21:43 pm »
Backalleys weren't a thing in the Maritimes. At least not anywhere I lived. Seems like a waste of space to me.

They aren't plowed here so a lot of people end up parking in front of their houses on the street anyway.

They were well maintained when I lived in Winnipeg. They don't necessarily take up a lot of extra space either.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2017, 01:51:30 pm »

The Victorian bits of TO have back alleys.    Very recently I read that the city might, just might allow residential to face the alleys...I don't believe it, When we were there it was nigh on impossible to have permission to have a garage there but you could have a big tall locked gate with backyard parking.

A friend of mine in high school used to live in Cabbagetown. He had a tiny backyard, and if memory serves me correctly, his dad used to park his Saab 900 (the proper one) back there. Pretty sure there was a tiny garage, but it took up about half the yard.

I hear laneway houses are the big thing in Vancouver now. There's one going up in my neighborhood here, too. Basically a two-car garage off the back alley, but with an apartment/living space above. Seems like a smart way to have renters without having strangers sharing your house, but they did give up 90% of their back yard.

Still, they're on the north side of the street, so all the sun is in their front yard anyway. I notice that a lot here: houses on the north side of the street have their patios/decks in the front yard, to take advantage of the sun. Personally, I'm happy to be on the south side of the street so we can have our hang-out area in back, where it's private.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2017, 03:02:26 pm »
Nice! Not too many of those around.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2017, 09:43:19 pm »
The way those new developments are, I would have let my car in storage till the driveways were paved.  The debris and dust from the construction vehicles alone.  Every time I visit my friends new place, I take the van, the bottom gets so dirty. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2017, 01:10:46 pm »
Railton

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2017, 11:04:24 pm »
Nice :laugh:

On my way home from a mall near by, i witnessed a t-bone accident at intersection.

Airbags deployed so i pulled over to check everyones ok, turns out one of them is my coworker...

No serious injuries to anyone so that was good.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2017, 09:34:58 am »
At the local supermarket last night. Mrs. Railton wants some soda water. Good God, what soda water to buy?! Water, from France, Russia, Poland, etc.,etc., and then, regular old water from just about everywhere including local. Boxed water? Just water? Crazy!
Railton

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2017, 09:40:04 am »
waters the new gold  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584