Author Topic: First Drive: 2017 Fiat 124 Spider  (Read 23911 times)

Offline mnztr

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: SAAB 9-5 Mazda MX-5 Ducati MNZTR
Re: First Drive: 2017 Fiat 124 Spider
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2016, 01:12:40 am »
Can you comment on the differences in handling? I read that the Fiat was set up to roll less then the MX-5, which I prefer. So far I do LOVE the styling of the MX-5, but the turbo engine, quieter ride and more supple suspension are all ++++ to me. So I would probably go Fiat vs Mazda, besides I already have an MX-5.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2016, 01:15:03 am »
Can you comment on the differences in handling? I read that the Fiat was set up to roll less then the MX-5, which I prefer. So far I do LOVE the styling of the MX-5, but the turbo engine, quieter ride and more supple suspension are all ++++ to me. So I would probably go Fiat vs Mazda, besides I already have an MX-5.

I read the opposite.  The Classico and Lusso models are softer.  The only one that is more focused handling wise is the Abart version.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline SailFastSimon

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-56
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Only the good cars. Plus a couple of motorcycles. And a boat.
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2016, 01:39:23 am »

I read the opposite.  The Classico and Lusso models are softer.  The only one that is more focused handling wise is the Abart version.

The Classico and Lusso aren't really softer than the MX-5. Just more supple. Like what BMWs always used to receive praise for.

I've also heard the same unofficial report that the Spider is set up to roll less the the MX-5 (and these don't have to be mutually exclusive goals - you can put on thicker sway bars to reduce roll without stiffening the ride). But I couldn't discern a clear difference in terms of body roll -- you'd have to drive the two cars back-to-back to make a real judgement.

As for the 124 Abarth, we only drove thrashed that version on the track, so it's difficult to comment on its street ride. With its Bilsteins, I'd reckon it's pretty close to the MX-5.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:10:20 am by SailFastSimon »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2016, 09:02:50 am »
Easy with the pile-on guys.

That was piling on?  Sheesh....a touch more sensitive than your usual self today, eh?   ;)

I guess you must be lucky to have the gentlest piling on people in the e-world!   :rofl2:

LOL

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2016, 09:05:59 am »
I'd get this over the Mazda any day.

And where's a video of the sound, where are we, the 90's?

You ever tried to capture decent driving audio when solo (for our outlet)? #difficult
Having said that, it's something we're working on.

Would a good quality GoPro with a suction cup mount be good enough?? I've seen some videos online filmed with GoPros and the sound is actually decent.

Only if you remember to bring along the skeleton back, because GoPro's are pretty awful for sound when in the full water-proof case.

And Jacob, Andy and I will be arguing over who's responsible for the time suck that is processing/editing video and audio files. :o

I have the hero session (no case required) and the sound is pretty good in the wind.  Processing/editing, yes I know it's a pain, but in this day and age I'd say video is becoming a must.

I agree, Bob.  We aren't asking for leading edge video car tests here.  Just something...anything...to stay competitive and relevant to other websites.

And as far as sound goes, most serious guys with a GoPros who does blogging/tests/car/bike videos simply use a Zoom H2N or H4N.  Even dropped in a coat pocket on a motorcycle, the sound is many, many times better than a GoPro.

**EDIT**  This video is done with a simple GoPro and an H4N in his pocket. Nothing else.  Oh...Nuda 990R!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09FoESIaLw

This is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUCZCdkbvMk

:rofl2:

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2016, 11:13:17 am »
^ That made my morning

It's too loud.  BWWWAAAAAAAAP!!
Oh god........  BWWWAAAAAAAAP!!
Not for me...    BWWWAAAAAAAAP!!
It's too much.. BWWWAAAAAAAAP!!
If I come across a horse it's gonna $hit its load...  BWWWAAAAAAAAP!!

Offline GTABeancounter

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2016, 02:12:28 pm »
I'm really surprised there has been no mention of the MX5 RF. My understanding is that the RF suspension tuning is biased more towards comfort than the soft top mx5. I've also read that the RF has some additional sound absorption and a slight upgrade in some of the interior materials. Of course, there is the hard top that makes for a much quieter top up ride as well.

It would seem to me that someone who wants a more laid back mx-5 has the RF as an option as well.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2016, 02:29:22 pm »
^ That made my morning

Not far off the F-Type.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2016, 03:23:57 pm »
^ That made my morning

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2016, 03:32:36 pm »
Hmm go pro.   Should borrow one for the weekend.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2016, 05:53:21 pm »

This is hilarious.

I think it sounds perfect! !

Ever hear an RC51 uncorked? They can sound thunderous!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2016, 06:14:51 pm »

I actually have,  Still one of my all time fave bikes.  One of my climbing partners used to have one - I wish I'd bought it when he sold it.  One thing that surprised me was how short the gearing was on the bike was.  Before he sold it he turned it into a track bike for a bit - hence the open pipe - and what a scream for a twin.  Sounded like a full on race bike.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2016, 11:55:45 pm »

This is hilarious.

I think it sounds perfect! !

Yes, my frickin' ears!