Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2017 Audi Q7 vs 2016 Volvo XC90  (Read 25234 times)

Offline Jaws

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2017 Audi Q7, 2017 Carrera
Re: Comparison Test: 2017 Audi Q7 vs 2016 Volvo XC90
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 05:58:46 pm »
My wife and I drove the Q7, XC90, and MDX on consecutive days and ended up ordering the Audi.  We went into it with an open mind since we currently own or have owned vehicles from each manufacturer, including the previous gen MDX. In the case of each of three companies in question, the ownership experience was good, so we tried to be as unbiased as possible.  The odd car out was clearly the MDX.  It brought a knife to a gun fight and the Volvo and MDX are superior vehicles as far as overall driving experience and proverbial fit-and-finish.  We previously owned a 2008 MDX, and I think I actually preferred that car to the newer version, but it has been a while since we owned it so maybe reality doesn't match my recollection.  The MDX just seems to be cheaper than the previous generation, and I suspect that it was the goal of Acura to cut costs when they moved production to the US from Canada.  The MDX is a decent vehicle, but I say the only place where it betters each of the others is engine smoothness vs the Volvo.  Overall, the MDX is meh, and given that we expect to own the vehicle for approximately 6 years, we decide to spend extra. 

Next up was the X90, which by far the best looking car of the three.  Volvo nailed this one in the exterior design department, the interior is very nice, and the seats are typical Volvo (excellent).  The MMI is decent and the learning curve is fast.  Where the Volvo falls down is engine smoothness - it cannot compare to a V6.  It doesn't matter that they've SCed and turboed it.  Power is decent, but I always knew that I was driving a 4 cyl that has to work hard to motivate 5000 lb.  Handling is competent and overall driving dynamics are very good.  Third row access was the best of the three and space was decent enough.   I question the durability of the this powertrain given that it is new and unproven, and I question how it would hold up for my six years of ownership.  The message boards are also full of owners that are dealing with teething issues.  At the moment I am not prepared to gamble with my money on this car.  If it had a V6 and a few model years under its belt, it would have been a tough decision.

The Q7 is the best overall package when compared to the others.  Not as nice to look at when compared to the Volvo, but the interior is the equal of the Volvo and the seats are also excellent.  I'm used to Audi's MMI, so there is no learning necessary.  VirtualCockpit is excellent and I like the user configurable screens.  The interior is vault quiet with very little wind noise or road noise, and is the better of the other two when it comes to NVH.  The powertrain is proven (the 3.0 sc being around since 2009) and the 8 sp auto is excellent (same one as in my A6).  The only negative to the car relates to the 3rd row, both access and space.  I find access cumbersome and the space is marginally below the others.  The 3rd row will see spot duty carrying preteens, so we can live with it.  As they get older it can be used as punishment. 

We went with the Progressiv trim level with Bose, sun shades and hitch as the only options, so it comes in substantially less than their tester.   I gave up the urge to upsize the wheels and stuck to the standard 19s.

Others have mentioned body-on-frame competitors, but this substantially smaller and cheaper than an Escalade, and in comparison the Audi sips fuels.  It will run rings around the Caddy and be the equal of it in a straight line.  If it was 2006, I might consider the Lexus GX.  No comparison there.  The max towing rating on the Q7 is 7700 lb which is pretty decent. 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:09:12 pm by Jaws »
Previous cars:  2009 911 C4S, 2013 Audi Q5 3.0T, 2006 911 C2S, 2010 Audi S4, 2008 MDX, 2006 325i, 2000 S2K, 1994 Volvo 854T, 2011 F150 FX4 EB, 2010 Chev Avalanche

Offline Jaws

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2017 Audi Q7, 2017 Carrera
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 06:06:07 pm »
In the highly anecdotal school run wars at my daughter's school, the XC90 is winning. Lots of previous generation Q7s, but most of those who are looking to replace have the Volvo at or near to the top of the list. I think it's because it is less obnoxious, image-wise. Audis are seen as a bit obvious, and the GLS too ostentatious. The dream vehicle combo for these families seems to be a Model S and an XC90.

For the 2016 year-to-date, they've sold 13,200 XC90s in the US, compared to 2,240 for the 2014 year-to-date (2015 is not a fair comparison, since the new model came out part way through the year). Seems like they are pretty popular.
The XC90 is winning because it's been out longer.  I placed my order for a Q7 in February and it will get it at the end of the month.  There is no such thing as a 2016 Q7. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 06:21:18 pm »
Great write up. I test drove both as well and neither really did it for me.  As many have said the Volvo design is great if a little squishy on the inside. The Audi feels less like a "tunnel"  than before but it still feels cramped. I noticed the coarseness of both engines right away compared to the V8 in the LR4. The Audi was the better driver of the two.

^^To the question of considering a Range Rover Sport. Nope. I trailhead  camp in the LR4. With the second and third rows folded all 6' 2" of me can stretch out. Add a thermarest and voila instant tent. Plus I am still using that third row on occasion.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 06:42:36 pm »

^^To the question of considering a Range Rover Sport. Nope. I trailhead  camp in the LR4. With the second and third rows folded all 6' 2" of me can stretch out. Add a thermarest and voila instant tent. Plus I am still using that third row on occasion.

Ahh gotcha.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 06:58:30 pm »
I'm talking sentiment (i.e. which car people are saying they want next). They may very well end up with Audis when they actually go to switch vehicles, but it's still interesting that Volvo has made such an impact.

Is it true that Audi is no allowing orders of the TDi, because of the emissions scandal fallout? If so, I imagine it would affect sales quite a bit, since virtually every old model Q7 I see on the school run is a TDi.

In the highly anecdotal school run wars at my daughter's school, the XC90 is winning. Lots of previous generation Q7s, but most of those who are looking to replace have the Volvo at or near to the top of the list. I think it's because it is less obnoxious, image-wise. Audis are seen as a bit obvious, and the GLS too ostentatious. The dream vehicle combo for these families seems to be a Model S and an XC90.

For the 2016 year-to-date, they've sold 13,200 XC90s in the US, compared to 2,240 for the 2014 year-to-date (2015 is not a fair comparison, since the new model came out part way through the year). Seems like they are pretty popular.
The XC90 is winning because it's been out longer.  I placed my order for a Q7 in February and it will get it at the end of the month.  There is no such thing as a 2016 Q7.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 07:13:30 pm »
No argument that the XC90 is a great hit for Volvo. Very popular here on the streets of Calgary. They have a strong Volvo dealer here as well which helps. Conveniently the Audi and Volvo dealerships are side by side and only 10 minutes from my house.  I have only seen one new Q7 in the flesh on the streets. Did it just get released or does it just blend in more?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 07:30:58 pm »
Where the Volvo falls down is engine smoothness - it cannot compare to a V6.  It doesn't matter that they've SCed and turboed it.  Power is decent, but I always knew that I was driving a 4 cyl that has to work hard to motivate 5000 lb.  Handling is competent and overall driving dynamics are very good.  Third row access was the best of the three and space was decent enough.   I question the durability of the this powertrain given that it is new and unproven, and I question how it would hold up for my six years of ownership.  The message boards are also full of owners that are dealing with teething issues.  At the moment I am not prepared to gamble with my money on this car.  If it had a V6 and a few model years under its belt, it would have been a tough decision.

Pretty much exactly what I expected.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 08:26:55 pm »
Volvo all the way. Not so sure about the 4-cyl thing, but I dont care. That thing is just too sexy.

But honestly, the V60 is better in every regard for a family mover with a hatch.

You mean aside from passenger space, the ability to carry seven people, cargo space, and towing capacity, right?

yes yes yes those things  :P

How often do you carry seven people in any car? I have NEVER been in one nor seen one fully loaded. Passenger space...sure. Found back seats to both be comfy and roomy. A wash. And I never tow. And would you tow with a 4cyl? Me neither. So again, a wash. Cargo space? Sure, it has a bit more. How often do you fill yours up to the brim? The V60 has plenty of room for whatever you want IMO.

I know not everyone's needs are same as mine, but honestly, do you really need all that stuff to ferry you, the wife, and your kid around?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 08:48:18 pm »
^ But that's the reason I would only own an SUV, is for towing.  I know I am in the minority. 

My contenders are 2014 and newer Jeep Grand Cherokee/Durango V6, 2009 and newer Tahoe/Yukon, maybe Ford Explorer not sure on that one yet.  Lexus LX would be nice, but hard to find one with under 150k and under $35k, same with the 2014 and newer MDX

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 09:08:24 pm »
^ But that's the reason I would only own an SUV, is for towing.  I know I am in the minority. 

My contenders are 2014 and newer Jeep Grand Cherokee/Durango V6, 2009 and newer Tahoe/Yukon, maybe Ford Explorer not sure on that one yet.  Lexus LX would be nice, but hard to find one with under 150k and under $35k, same with the 2014 and newer MDX

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/oakville-halton-region/2005-lexus-lx470/1124217166?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 09:11:40 pm »
Volvo all the way. Not so sure about the 4-cyl thing, but I dont care. That thing is just too sexy.

But honestly, the V60 is better in every regard for a family mover with a hatch.

You mean aside from passenger space, the ability to carry seven people, cargo space, and towing capacity, right?

How often do you carry seven people in any car? I have NEVER been in one nor seen one fully loaded. Passenger space...sure. Found back seats to both be comfy and roomy. A wash. And I never tow. And would you tow with a 4cyl? Me neither. So again, a wash. Cargo space? Sure, it has a bit more. How often do you fill yours up to the brim? The V60 has plenty of room for whatever you want IMO.

I know not everyone's needs are same as mine, but honestly, do you really need all that stuff to ferry you, the wife, and your kid around?

I always love how the peeps with no kids pipe up about not needing the space with kids.  Throw a dog in the mix also.  Of course the v60 is better in every regard.  :rofl2:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 09:12:59 pm »

I always love how the peeps with no kids pipe up about not needing the space with kids.  Throw a dog in the mix also.  Of course the v60 is better in every regard.  :rofl2:

We got by with a small sedan and coupes with the kid.  *SHRUGS*  Would have been the same with 2 kids.

However, we were different in that we didn't bring a weeks worth of supplies to drop the kid off for a play date or something.  So there was never a need for anything bigger.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 09:19:02 pm »

We got by with a small sedan and coupes with the kid.  *SHRUGS*  Would have been the same with 2 kids.

However, we were different in that we didn't bring a weeks worth of supplies to drop the kid off for a play date or something.  So there was never a need for anything bigger.

I knew you'd pipe in. If I want to take the fackin swing to the in laws so the baby is easier and I can have a couple drinks, I'll take the swing.  ;D :P :rofl2: ps No babies in my house anymore.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 09:23:02 pm »
the Q7 looks too much like a wagon to my eyes...the design is, well, weird!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 09:35:15 pm »

I knew you'd pipe in. If I want to take the fackin swing to the in laws so the baby is easier and I can have a couple drinks, I'll take the swing.  ;D :P :rofl2: ps No babies in my house anymore.

How big is the facking swing??  The kind from a playground??   :rofl2:

We had one...it fit in the trunk.  Just sayin'.   ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 09:39:32 pm »

Growing up my dad had a Mazda GLC sedan. It only had four seatbelts. When my youngest brother was born my dad simply installed a lap belt for the middle passenger.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 09:46:16 pm »

Growing up my dad had a Mazda GLC sedan. It only had four seatbelts. When my youngest brother was born my dad simply installed a lap belt for the middle passenger.  ;D

Awesome!   :rofl2:

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 10:04:54 pm »
While these comparisons to the good ole days are all fine, has anyone considered how much larger child safety equipment has gotten since then?

I regularly need to seat 5 and couldn't do it with 2 car seats (twins).  Most cars are way too narrow for that.  Even my mom's Taurus wagon couldn't accommodate, nor could my dad's ML.  Now my Odyssey easily can in the middle row.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 10:48:36 pm »

With the dog too right? Everybody's scenario must be the same.  Just sayin'.  ;) :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 10:51:09 pm »

With the dog too right? Everybody's scenario must be the same.  Just sayin'.  ;) :P

Yes, we had a dog.  He was belted in and took one seat to himself. 80 lbs.

Something similar to this.  Though we only took him when we needed to.  For example, a visit to the grand parentals for a few hours he was left at home.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:53:05 pm by rrocket »