Author Topic: First Drive: 2017 Mercedes-Benz C 300 4Matic Coupe  (Read 28803 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: First Drive: 2017 Mercedes-Benz C 300 4Matic Coupe
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2016, 12:02:40 pm »
We put 5000 cows per day through our slaughter plant south of Calgary (one of many). As long as the tanning process is environmentally  responsible I can't see why we wouldn't use this byproduct to our beef industry. Using the entire animal is the responsible thing to do. Fake leather is just plastic with a fancy name. :P

:brkhrt: :'( Problem is, nothing about the entire industry is environmentally responsible. Best not to use any of the animal.  :bang:

....sorry sorry sorry I will stop it....don't want to be accused of all those stereotypical things now....

hard giving a crap when nobody else does...

sorry sorry back to the car...

:surrend: :hide:
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2016, 12:09:05 pm »
So any thoughts about the actual car or are we just going to argue about the merits of leather vs. vinyl?  :P

I like it. I dont like it's engine. Turbo V6 would suit it better as a base engine.

Yeah I'm sure those girls I see driving C-class coupes around here are really clamoring for more power.

A turbo V6 is optional, so who cares what the base engine is?

You wanted to discuss THE ACTUAL CAR.  That is how THE ACTUAL CAR that is the subject of the article is equipped.  :stick:

I am talking about the actual car. My point is, the typical C-class coupe buyer is not a performance buyer. The base engine is more than adequate for many buyers. There are multiple engine upgrades available for those who want them. There's no reason that the base engine in a coupe like this should be 300 hp +. The existence of the base model takes nothing away from the more performance-oriented options.

My point is that discussing the actual merits of the vehicle as tested - including standard equipment, options and price - is hardly unexpected - particularly from someone insisting that we stay on topic and discuss the actual car.  To turn around and say "who cares??" about the features and performance of the actual car is ever so slightly inconsistent with your former position.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2016, 12:22:17 pm »
Leather tiles

I'm a caveman but I like to be surrounded in wood, leather, and stone.

And yes Oliver we've established that the car sucks and leather is awesome  :P ;D

Awesome. I guess they have a surface treatment to protect against  acidic things and stuff with lots of alcohol?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2016, 12:26:26 pm »
So any thoughts about the actual car or are we just going to argue about the merits of leather vs. vinyl?  :P

I like it. I dont like it's engine. Turbo V6 would suit it better as a base engine.

Yeah I'm sure those girls I see driving C-class coupes around here are really clamoring for more power.

A turbo V6 is optional, so who cares what the base engine is?

You wanted to discuss THE ACTUAL CAR.  That is how THE ACTUAL CAR that is the subject of the article is equipped.  :stick:

I am talking about the actual car. My point is, the typical C-class coupe buyer is not a performance buyer. The base engine is more than adequate for many buyers. There are multiple engine upgrades available for those who want them. There's no reason that the base engine in a coupe like this should be 300 hp +. The existence of the base model takes nothing away from the more performance-oriented options.

My point is that discussing the actual merits of the vehicle as tested - including standard equipment, options and price - is hardly unexpected - particularly from someone insisting that we stay on topic and discuss the actual car.  To turn around and say "who cares??" about the features and performance of the actual car is ever so slightly inconsistent with your former position.

"Insisting that we stay on topic" is a bit strong considering I made a joke about how far off topic we were (hence the smiley).

I'm not sure if you're just being deliberately obtuse but I was being flippant about the performance of the base engine because it's not the only option, and it suits the target market and it is in line with its closest competition. I don't understand the rationale for having a more powerful base engine when its current motor is similar to what all of the competition offers. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my original post.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2016, 12:41:37 pm »
We put 5000 cows per day through our slaughter plant south of Calgary (one of many). As long as the tanning process is environmentally  responsible I can't see why we wouldn't use this byproduct to our beef industry. Using the entire animal is the responsible thing to do. Fake leather is just plastic with a fancy name. [emoji14]

:brkhrt: :'( Problem is, nothing about the entire industry is environmentally responsible. Best not to use any of the animal.  :bang:

....sorry sorry sorry I will stop it....don't want to be accused of all those stereotypical things now....

hard giving a crap when nobody else does...

sorry sorry back to the car...

:surrend: :hide:
I give a crap and I'm with you on this topic.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2016, 01:01:34 pm »
As cars, not just this one, are often available with leather or whatever, I think we should simply rename this forum COWS and-or-in AUTOS CA.

Bring out all the wack jobs. Maybe the zappies will join in too, after all what happens to leather when electrocuted anyway? Get the answer and you get an even bigger free car discount with funds sourced from stealing out of someone else's wallet.

Give a clear signal, derail every thread!, spread the word! Waddya thunk, Wing? Brig? Sure would save lots of moderating work.....  :rofl:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2016, 01:49:55 pm »
Since I'm addicted to sites like BringATrailer and Barnfinds, we often see over there 40+ y.o. Benzes with M-B Tex interiors. Commenters as well as writers always mention that the stuff ages better than leather. Heck, even a recent hippie 200,000+ miles 240D listed in San-Francisco had terrific seat surfaces!

My own German marvel has ventilated "fake leather" seats and so far I really like them!

Now, about the rest of the car. Where's the diesel awd wagon version showed at the Montreal Auto Show 6 months ago?  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2016, 02:10:24 pm »
My own German marvel has ventilated "fake leather" seats and so far I really like them!

Perforated, not ventilated.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
Leather tiles

I'm a caveman but I like to be surrounded in wood, leather, and stone.

And yes Oliver we've established that the car sucks and leather is awesome  :P ;D

Cool beans.  But are you sure you wouldn't rather have a plastic desk?  That one is made from dead trees!!!!  That's what wood is you know?!?!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2016, 02:54:59 pm »
 :rofl2:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2016, 10:47:52 am »

I can't recall any Mercedes coupe that i have preferred the looks of more than their sedan equivalent.  In fact I find most are weird and ungainly looking in comparison to the sedan. 

I agree, but maybe excepting the previous generation CL-class coupe (2009-2015 i think) - IMHO they hit that one out of the park  8)

Like this one?  I must say it does look pretty good!  8)