Author Topic: First Drive: 2017 Mercedes-Benz C 300 4Matic Coupe  (Read 28829 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2017 Mercedes-Benz C 300 4Matic Coupe
« on: June 06, 2016, 06:31:15 am »

A coupe for cruisin'.
Read More...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: First Drive: 2017 Mercedes-Benz C 300 4Matic Coupe
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 07:26:06 am »
Fake leather is standard?  ???
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 08:05:54 am »
Looking forward to trying the new 400 HP Infiniti Q60 Coupe...with real leather. ;)
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 08:32:03 am »

i get what you're saying jaeger, but the premium brands really need to wake up and start supplying an alternative to animal skins in their products. beyond the question of animal skin's performance as a material for seating (i.e. t's too hot in the summer and needs heating in the winter) the leather industry itself has quite a dodgy track record.  (i personally saw tanneries in india that were dumping toxic chemicals into the ganges)  it just feels like leather is a throwback to the past when materials weren't as advanced as now.

I've had leather in my last 6 cars - can't say I have found it to be a seasonal problem ever.  As for the environmental debate, I'll leave that to those interested in engaging on that point.  Everything is bad for the environment.  Everything causes cancer.  I get it.  Just not that interested in the debate.

As for "throwback" part of the hallmark of luxury is tradition.  Wood and leather are part of that tradition.  Try to convince a woman shopping for a premium sweater that some techy synthetic is "better" than cashmere and prepare to be laughed at.

And as for an alternative to leather, it already exists.  It's called cloth - and there's nothing wrong with it.  If I were buying a GTI I would get the cloth because that plaid is way cool.  But FAKE leather has no place in a LUXURY sedan because those two terms can't comfortably co-exist.  It's the reason Rolex doesn't offer FAKE gold on their watches.  You get stainless steel or you get an actual precious metal - not some pretense of the real thing.

If Hyundai offered a base version of the Genesis with vinyl seats they'd get roasted for how they just don't understand luxury - and rightly so.  Why do the Germans get a pass?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:43:16 am by Jaeger »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 09:07:25 am »
I tend to agree with Jaeger. I've also had leather in every car I've owned and I've never bought into the "seasonal debate." In fact, leather is pretty much a must for me unless it's some sort of racing seat.

Agree with Jaeger on the environmental debate as well.

Fake leather and a 4 c-pot turbo does not speak luxury to me.........it's C400 or bust.

You mean C43 AMG.

As for the fake leather, it's standard in most Benzes aside from the higher end models. Supposedly it's incredibly durable though.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:24:27 am »
Nice car overall. The rear could have been a bit less "bulbous". I have no problems with synthetic leather. If durable, it would be my preference.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 09:48:49 am »
I hate leather seats. I had them in the 3.6R and they were hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It isn't coincidental that seat heaters and coolers came about with the increasing use of leather seating. They are pretty much required to make up for its shortcomings.

Alcantara is very nice alternative and doesn't have the issues that leather does, if a person doesn't want traditional cloth.

The MB MBTex and Artico hold up much better than traditional leather, so I never had an issue with it's use.

Leather was used in early cars because they were opened to the elements, so could be wiped down if wet. As soon as enclosed cars came on the scene, leather was out and cloth was in.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 09:55:51 am »
I really like Alcantara but it is typically associated with sporty cars and more often than not it is paired with leather bolsters.

BMW offers some really nice cloth/Alcantara seats in other markets:

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 09:59:09 am »
^Those look nice.

A friend of mine has Alcantara seats with leather bolsters in her Edge Sport. Very nice I thought.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 10:04:28 am »

i get what you're saying jaeger, but the premium brands really need to wake up and start supplying an alternative to animal skins in their products. beyond the question of animal skin's performance as a material for seating (i.e. t's too hot in the summer and needs heating in the winter) the leather industry itself has quite a dodgy track record.  (i personally saw tanneries in india that were dumping toxic chemicals into the ganges)  it just feels like leather is a throwback to the past when materials weren't as advanced as now.

I've had leather in my last 6 cars - can't say I have found it to be a seasonal problem ever.  As for the environmental debate, I'll leave that to those interested in engaging on that point.  Everything is bad for the environment.  Everything causes cancer.  I get it.  Just not that interested in the debate.

As for "throwback" part of the hallmark of luxury is tradition.  Wood and leather are part of that tradition.  Try to convince a woman shopping for a premium sweater that some techy synthetic is "better" than cashmere and prepare to be laughed at.

And as for an alternative to leather, it already exists.  It's called cloth - and there's nothing wrong with it.  If I were buying a GTI I would get the cloth because that plaid is way cool.  But FAKE leather has no place in a LUXURY sedan because those two terms can't comfortably co-exist.  It's the reason Rolex doesn't offer FAKE gold on their watches.  You get stainless steel or you get an actual precious metal - not some pretense of the real thing.

If Hyundai offered a base version of the Genesis with vinyl seats they'd get roasted for how they just don't understand luxury - and rightly so.  Why do the Germans get a pass?

porsche has produced 911s with high end "wool" seats.... i just think the auto companies could easily come up with a high quality alternative to leather.  leather isn't the be all and end all requirement for a premium car.  (sustainable products like cashmere, wool, wood, metal don't involve killing the animal for their skin.)  anyways, i'm not evangelic about this topic but just think a more critical eye should be brought to old traditions. 

i think the clothing industry, while still producing leather, have come up with some incredible products as alternative materials.  the auto industry should follow this lead.

You're missing my point. I take no objection to an alternative to leather for those who wish it - whether that alternative be cloth or wool or what have you.  What I to find ill-fitting on an offering from a luxury marque is FAKE leather.  Whatever fancy marketing term one hangs on vinyl, it doesn't fit well within the luxury context - which is what we're discussing if we're discussing Mercedes Benz.  I'm sure vinyl is very durable - but that really isn't the point.  Neither is its suitability in a Subaru.

Oh, and as for the clothing industry - consider the products of the high end luxury shoe manufacturers such as Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, St. Crispin's and the like.  Count up how many offer vinyl or plastic shoes they have on offer and get back to me when that number rises above zero.  Now, crocs from the dollar store?  Sure.  And no doubt they are very durable and very practical.  But they are not a luxury product.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 10:10:43 am »
I really like Alcantara but it is typically associated with sporty cars and more often than not it is paired with leather bolsters.

BMW offers some really nice cloth/Alcantara seats in other markets:

I've enjoyed some nice Alcantara seats in rental cars in Europe in the past.  I like them as much or more than leather.  But the key (as you mention) is that they are usually best paired with sportier models.

If I'm driving a non-M/AMG/RS sedan, leather is really the most suitable choice.  A living room on wheels should have a nice leather chair in it.

That said, I could certainly live with the faux stuff if it was the only option in a car I otherwise liked.  I've sat on "real leather" (usually in lesser domestic rides like my old mustang) that felt more plastic-like than the faux stuff in a FGC.

Regarding the car in question:  Who the hell really wants a $50k+ AWD (??) 4-cylinder coupe?   I don't get it.   Just get a bloody sedan if you want 4-season luxury cruiser.   Keep the coupes RWD....(or AWD if it's a case of putting down massive amounts of power, not mated with a 4 banger).

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 10:12:00 am »
I will get leather if available at a reasonable cost.   The M-B I had for a year was Artico and I liked that.       I don't find leather too hot or too cold and I really like that way one can slide into the seat.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 10:15:35 am »
Regarding the car in question:  Who the hell really wants a $50k+ AWD (??) 4-cylinder coupe?   I don't get it.   Just get a bloody sedan if you want 4-season luxury cruiser.   Keep the coupes RWD....(or AWD if it's a case of putting down massive amounts of power, not mated with a 4 banger).

Was the as-tested price even mentioned in the article?  Did I just miss it?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 10:30:16 am »

RWD is a non-starter in our market unless we're talking about performance vehicles and even in that case we're seen a shift to AWD in the last few years (F-type, E63/S63, etc).

I don't really see a problem with a luxury coupe like this. Most buyers won't care that it has a four cylinder, they'll care that it looks good and has the amenities they want inside. And they'll want to use it as a daily driver year round.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 10:33:06 am »
Sorry, 4 cyl and a $50K coupe do not compute for me.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 10:48:51 am »
Fartico leather!!|! wot does it stink like when off gasing new on a hot day ???  I`M thinking Zebra skin recently chowed down by Simba on a nice Grey white gorilla dash..no kids were harmed in their production :stick: .
the coupe is meh...MB trying to fill every slot stuff :banghead: .Oh yes and CROCS the real ones for the trim :-*
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 12:29:12 pm »
It doesn't bother me that this car offers "fake" leather.  I don't think one can judge a material without feeling it to see if it's suitable to be in a luxury vehicle or not.  Like others have stated, I have felt real leather in some vehicles that feel like a cheap knock off and fake leather in other products that I thought were real leather.  Isn't it usually just the seat tops that are leather anyway.  I thought I read that most mainstream vehicles that offer "leather seats" only have leather on the seating surfaces and not the rest of the bits.

Back to this car.  I'm fine with a 4 cylinder being in a $50K coupe if said engine has the performance and off setting fuel economy gain compared to previous 6 cylinders.

I would probably wait for the upcoming Audi A5 if I wanted a luxury coupe.  I just find it has better overall styling.  For some reason this Coupe just looks off a bit, I think it might be the back end.  Not saying it's unattractive, just seems a bit miss matched.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 12:30:45 pm »
Leather could get hot and sticky in hot summer days especially when the car has been parked out in the sun for a few hours. I wouldn't mind cloth or some variant as long as they come with ability to wipe off any dirt like leather seats.  I haven't lived with fake leather seats on a daily basis so I can't comment on that.

As for the car itself, I agree with $50K+ couple with a turbo 4.   C 450 AMG sedan would be a whole lot better.
However, the world would be too boring if everyone made sensible decisions.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:32:24 pm by carcrazed »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 01:20:00 pm »
I'm sorry but, at least in pictures, the exterior styling of this thing stinks. Hey Mercedes, you've gone to the trouble of building a RWD-based coupe, would it kill ya to utilize some of those RWD athletic porportions and make it pretty?

I'm sure the C-coupe has lots of nice premium features, but it still looks painfully like an Accord Coupe - a fantastic car, to be sure, which you can of course get loaded up (and with a nice big N/A V6) for a lot less than this Benz. 

http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/sites/11/2015/08/2016-Honda-Accord-Coupe-Touring-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Not to belabour the point, but it's not as if Mercedes can't build pretty things - I passed a silver AMG GT coupe on the highway last night, right at sunset, and it looked stunning  8)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:39:52 pm by lebowski »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 01:20:15 pm »

I would probably wait for the upcoming Audi A5 if I wanted a luxury coupe.  I just find it has better overall styling.  For some reason this Coupe just looks off a bit, I think it might be the back end.  Not saying it's unattractive, just seems a bit miss matched.

:iagree: