Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport SE  (Read 13318 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport SE
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:31:35 am »

Range Rover lite.
Read More...

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport SE
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:34:02 am »
Other versions of Rover aside, this one looks anonymous somehow and might be an offering from other companies offering less refined machinery. Not that it does not look very nice...it does, but not Roverish somehow. Anyway, being less capable over rough terrain, is not important here for 99% of owners...I opine. As long as the price is right for what you get. It has to beat out other vehicles of equal reduced capability.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 07:55:46 am »
Wait for the new JLR 2.0 gasoline (Ingenium) - predicted to have much superior fuel economy.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 08:10:29 am »
I know it is silly given how little use these systems get in the real world, but I still can't get over a Land Rover that isn't a true off-road vehicle with a low range transmission, etc., and which uses essentially the same platform as the Volvo S80. I'd get a used LR4 instead.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 08:20:48 am »
I agree with Rupert -  this is a rolling example of generic CUV. Debadge it and I'd probably go through several guesses before I landed on Land Rover.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 08:32:04 am »
Me Mum has had one of these for 9 months now.

I can report that in the time she's had it it's been so far perfect, with no single problem.  Therefore Initial Quality seems quite good.  It remains to be seen how the Baby Disco will hold up over the next few years. 

I can say that the inside is quite a nice place to be.  The materials are all top notch (real aluminum/magnesium trim, tons of soft touch plastic, and lots of real leather). 

I would argue that this part of the article is wrong:

With a standard nine-speed automatic transmission, top gear brings engine revs down to about 2,000 rpm at 100 km/h, thereby reducing engine noise and minimizing fuel consumption.

It has been quite well documented that the ZF 9-Spd transmission doesn't reach top gear until about 130km/h or so.  At 100km/h it's probably cruising in 7th gear. 

Interestingly, because of the ultra-low ratio 1st gear, the Discovery will start in 2nd gear during most city driving conditions.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:34:01 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:13:25 am »

I know it is silly given how little use these systems get in the real world, but I still can't get over a Land Rover that isn't a true off-road vehicle with a low range transmission, etc., and which uses essentially the same platform as the Volvo S80. I'd get a used LR4 instead.

The LR4 is a completely different size category to this Disco Sport which is essentially replacing the LR2.  Think Ford Escape vs. Ford Explorer for the size difference.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:50 am »

This is a CR-V/Rav4/Ford Escape with a fancy badge....this isn't the LR4
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 10:58:11 am »

I hope no one in their right mind would think this is related to LR4 in any way. 
HSE seems to be a better 'deal' than the SE with all those options.   I don't like how the sunroof is fixed and can't even be 'vented'.

Offline GTABeancounter

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 11:06:44 am »
Unless I missed it I'm surprised there has been no mention of the F-Pace. Our family looked at both the Discovery & F-Pace extensively at the Toronto auto show in February and aside from the 5+2 seating option it was difficult to find any area where the Discovery held an edge.

Admittedly, we'd probably give the Discovery more consideration if it offered the 2.0 JLR Diesel (sounds like it may offer the oil burner one day??). The ability to seat a couple extra passengers in a pinch is great for us having 2 relatively young kids who'd fit in the back just fine. Otherwise the F-pace is the clear winner to us.

The F-Pace just seemed way better sorted. Smaller looking from the outside but with an arguably more comfortable 2nd row and more usable cargo space. We haven't driven either vehicle but the F-Pace reviews I've read are overwhelmingly positive. The interior of the Jag also felt much more upscale. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 11:38:45 am »
Unless I missed it I'm surprised there has been no mention of the F-Pace. Our family looked at both the Discovery & F-Pace extensively at the Toronto auto show in February and aside from the 5+2 seating option it was difficult to find any area where the Discovery held an edge.

Admittedly, we'd probably give the Discovery more consideration if it offered the 2.0 JLR Diesel (sounds like it may offer the oil burner one day??). The ability to seat a couple extra passengers in a pinch is great for us having 2 relatively young kids who'd fit in the back just fine. Otherwise the F-pace is the clear winner to us.

The F-Pace just seemed way better sorted. Smaller looking from the outside but with an arguably more comfortable 2nd row and more usable cargo space. We haven't driven either vehicle but the F-Pace reviews I've read are overwhelmingly positive. The interior of the Jag also felt much more upscale.
I agree.  I really liked the F-Pace when I saw it at the Edmonton Motor show.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 12:00:05 pm »

I hope no one in their right mind would think this is related to LR4 in any way. 
HSE seems to be a better 'deal' than the SE with all those options.   I don't like how the sunroof is fixed and can't even be 'vented'.

No one in their right mind would be seriously considering Land Rover in the first place.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 12:12:38 pm »

No one in their right mind would be seriously considering Land Rover in the first place.  ;D

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 12:29:58 pm »
Shortcomings aside, this is a seriously good-looking trucklet IMHO, and that's gotta be worth something in this segment. In particular, it's the forward-canted, body-colour C-pillar and the beltline that doesn't suck (see: Evoque)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 12:39:10 pm »
Shortcomings aside, this is a seriously good-looking trucklet IMHO, and that's gotta be worth something in this segment. In particular, it's the forward-canted, body-colour C-pillar and the beltline that doesn't suck (see: Evoque)

i'm not sure about "seriously good looking".

i've seen these in town, and they are very non-descript, not distinctive looking.     yes, they look clean and svelt (smaller looking than many compact CUVs) but good looking?..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 01:00:33 pm »

i'm not sure about "seriously good looking".

i've seen these in town, and they are very non-descript, not distinctive looking.     yes, they look clean and svelt (smaller looking than many compact CUVs) but good looking?..

What can i tell ya, there's no accounting for taste (in this case, my own  ;)). I should specify though, it helps when it's in a lighter colour with darker wheels - so that C-pillar can pop.

http://live.landrover-me.com/files/2014/09/LandRover_DiscoverySport_Static_02.1-960x574.jpg

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 01:11:10 pm »
Looks good in White with the Blackout Package (replaces chrome body colour trim with black painted bits, black roof, dark tint, dark wheels). 

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:12:53 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 01:16:23 pm »
Yup - very nice indeed. Though to my eye the silver or grey looks even better  8)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 01:20:49 pm »
When my mom bought hers last fall, she was initially looking at a 2016 Disco Sport HSE in Blue, with some options.  It was a little more money than she wanted to spend though, so the salesman pointed her to a 2015 HSE in white with the blackout package and other options that had plenty of money on the hood (like $10k's worth).  I think it was the right choice, as it looks great.  My parents live in a yuppie neighbourhood here in Winnipeg, and her Disco Sport definitely stands out a little among the plethora of GC's, X3's and Q3's. 

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 01:25:02 pm »
Nice! Sounds like she got a heckuva deal - and agree these cars definitely stand out.