Author Topic: Eye opener: First-ever IIHS headlight ratings show most need improvement  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
Very interesting study. For example: new adaptive LED systems some manufacturers have you paid dearly for are worse than their standard Halogen headlamps.

ARLINGTON, Va. — The Toyota Prius v is the only midsize car out of 31 evaluated to earn a good rating in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's first-ever headlight ratings.

The best available headlights on 11 cars earn an acceptable rating, while nine only reach a marginal rating. Ten of the vehicles can't be purchased with anything other than poor-rated headlights.

A vehicle's price tag is no guarantee of decent headlights. Many of the poor-rated headlights belong to luxury vehicles.

Curve-adaptive systems don't always lead to better ratings. The Cadillac ATS, Kia Optima and Mercedes-Benz C-Class all earn poor ratings even when equipped with adaptive low and high beams.

Read on: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/first-ever-iihs-headlight-ratings-show-most-need-improvement

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
The headlights on my Camry are practically useless.

could it be worse than any of the chrysler halogens?   can't imagine any lighting system being worse...  maybe if you hold a candle in a hurricane, it would approach the usefulness of the chrysler halogens....

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
People get all hung up on having HID lights, but I've found that the bulb type means less than the design of the lens and reflector.  I've driven behind some really good old-fashioned halogens and some terrible HIDs.

Right now in our fleet, the old 7" round H4 halogen lights in the Miata (not the factory sealed-beams from 1994) are probably the best.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
People get all hung up on having HID lights, but I've found that the bulb type means less than the design of the lens and reflector.  I've driven behind some really good old-fashioned halogens and some terrible HIDs.

Right now in our fleet, the old 7" round H4 halogen lights in the Miata (not the factory sealed-beams from 1994) are probably the best.
That's on my to do list for the Miata this year.  Didn't get around to it last year.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
My wifes F-150 headlights are horrid.....not as useless as the ones on our Wrangler, but can't believe that in 2013 that vehicles came out of the factory with such crap headlights and they are huge!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
My wifes F-150 headlights are horrid.....not as useless as the ones on our Wrangler, but can't believe that in 2013 that vehicles came out of the factory with such crap headlights and they are huge!!!

^This. That generation F-150 with Halogens is the most inadequate lighting I've ever experienced....and I regularly drive around with old Sealed Beams - still better than the F-150.

Just recently tested a 2016 Wrangler and found the headlights to be fine....big foglights in the bumper helped too.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
one set of lights out of 82 gets a good rating?... wowzas...

i don't love many of my brands lights, but i also don't really care... i have driven some old cars with brutal lights... as roadways get better systems in place, my lights are hardly needed. it is only on the darker country roads where they are really needed.

i'm just impressed that the chrysler is at least marginal...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
doesn't Rrocket participate in this manufacturing field...........do they have a "BIG BEAMS" house mag that reviews these things...................under the covers of course......???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile

Just bought a set of those last month for mine. Cheapest place I found was Amazon .ca . Free shipping.  A lot of the U.S. vendors seemed cheaper until the exchange and shipping were factored  in.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR