Author Topic: might be buying a house  (Read 73116 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: might be buying a house
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2016, 08:00:50 pm »
This, along with a million other reasons, is why I will never buy a newly-constructed house.  I will either end up in jail for murder, or the looney bin.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2016, 08:09:54 pm »
This, along with a million other reasons, is why I will never buy a newly-constructed house.  I will either end up in jail for murder, or the looney bin.
What is the problem ? What did they do wrong ?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2016, 08:57:57 pm »

One of my dearest friends is the CEO of a fairly large residential/commercial construction company.  He bought and renovated a 45yr old home.  Huh.  In all seriousness, for him, it was about location - he could have had an amazing home built for him.

I, like you, want to see it all done and I want to see it after a few years of settling.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2016, 10:45:03 pm »

I am collecting issues into a list right now for my Tarion 30-day warranty form. It is 5 miles long so far and I haven't actually *lived* in the house yet.

So far (some of these are notes for things I need to check on later...so its may read a bit funny)
- Microwave area not finished and not properly secured.
- Extra holes drilled in one of the cabinet doors
- Cabinet doors on island mounted with wrong opening direction
- kitchen island does not cover the hardwood floor below properly - insufficient wood coverage.
- kitchen island countertop not secured - it moves
- kitchen island does not afford sufficient clearance to move appliances in/out of their place - and its very heavy to move
- Balluster decorations not flush with floor
- Main floor patio door, left side does not open/close properly - appears to be crooked with respect to frame
- Outside water shut off valve leaking from both ends AND missing drain cap
- Outside water shut off valve is situated directly above venting motor for HWT - if leaks there is an electrical hazard here.
- Missing jointing sand / polymeric sand in paving to stop weeds etc.
- 2nd floor laundry vent at rear of house missing louvres.
- Shower curtain rods are missing - 2nd floor bathroom and basement bathroom
- Attic bathroom vanity - right side faucet not working, right side drawer not working
- Cold room door - key locks from both sides - someone can get trapped inside! Its like a prison. Inside should not require a key to get out!
- Master ensuite bath has no door. Would like a sliding door.
- Giant pile of peat moss in the back yard behind an ugly concrete barrier. Area appears to be used to store peat moss for tree plantings on the development site. Please remove and place grass
- Several patches of grass missing around locations dug for trees. Also, the trees themselves are missing.
- Per APS should have screens on all operational windows and patio doors. Currently no screens are present at all.
- Missing house number (on exterior)
- Tilt and turn windows missing opening angle restrictors on upper floors (for child safety etc.)
- Kitchen range hood missing part of the grille
- Dishwasher - upper drawer interferes with cabinet handle when opening
- Dishwasher - lower drawer opening action very rough, appears to be grinding on something
- Was there a squirrel living in the soffits?
- stairs wood is scratched multiple spots
- baseboard warped in living/dining room
- Kitchen cabinets in corner - door is warped or cabinet is misaligned with wall
- hardwood discoloration under sunlight exposures
- stairwell skylight label is still stuck to the glass
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2016, 11:09:50 pm »

I am collecting issues into a list right now for my Tarion 30-day warranty form. It is 5 miles long so far and I haven't actually *lived* in the house yet.

So far (some of these are notes for things I need to check on later...so its may read a bit funny)
- Microwave area not finished and not properly secured.
- Extra holes drilled in one of the cabinet doors
- Cabinet doors on island mounted with wrong opening direction
- kitchen island does not cover the hardwood floor below properly - insufficient wood coverage.
- kitchen island countertop not secured - it moves
- kitchen island does not afford sufficient clearance to move appliances in/out of their place - and its very heavy to move
- Balluster decorations not flush with floor
- Main floor patio door, left side does not open/close properly - appears to be crooked with respect to frame
- Outside water shut off valve leaking from both ends AND missing drain cap
- Outside water shut off valve is situated directly above venting motor for HWT - if leaks there is an electrical hazard here.
- Missing jointing sand / polymeric sand in paving to stop weeds etc.
- 2nd floor laundry vent at rear of house missing louvres.
- Shower curtain rods are missing - 2nd floor bathroom and basement bathroom
- Attic bathroom vanity - right side faucet not working, right side drawer not working
- Cold room door - key locks from both sides - someone can get trapped inside! Its like a prison. Inside should not require a key to get out!
- Master ensuite bath has no door. Would like a sliding door.
- Giant pile of peat moss in the back yard behind an ugly concrete barrier. Area appears to be used to store peat moss for tree plantings on the development site. Please remove and place grass
- Several patches of grass missing around locations dug for trees. Also, the trees themselves are missing.
- Per APS should have screens on all operational windows and patio doors. Currently no screens are present at all.
- Missing house number (on exterior)
- Tilt and turn windows missing opening angle restrictors on upper floors (for child safety etc.)
- Kitchen range hood missing part of the grille
- Dishwasher - upper drawer interferes with cabinet handle when opening
- Dishwasher - lower drawer opening action very rough, appears to be grinding on something
- Was there a squirrel living in the soffits?
- stairs wood is scratched multiple spots
- baseboard warped in living/dining room
- Kitchen cabinets in corner - door is warped or cabinet is misaligned with wall
- hardwood discoloration under sunlight exposures
- stairwell skylight label is still stuck to the glass

Man, some of that stuff would drive me nuts, I'm glad I downsized into a pre-owned place.  Would you not just fix some of the smaller stuff yourself like the cabinet doors?  I know you paid for it to be right, but you could probably fix it in 5 minutes.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2016, 06:41:07 am »
Has the builder done their clean up and pre inspection check ?

But some of the stuff sound pretty bazaar

Was it a custom builder? 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:02:20 am by Airbalancer »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2016, 07:37:15 am »
Has the builder done their clean up and pre inspection check ?

But some of the stuff sound better  bazaar

Was it a custom builder?
Yes, I did the PDI and some of this stuff is on that form, but didn't catch everything. Was only an hour long.

Thank goodness for the 30day form. Makes sense, it's a house after all you can't test everything in 1 hour.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2016, 08:34:10 am »
Its all part of the experience :)

I'm also starting to question how the front door bolts into the sidelight PVC frame. Looks good, but the whole sidelight bounces when you close the door. ::)

Vman do you anticipate them balking at that list of issues? They strike me as sloppiness.

As long as it all gets fixed I'm not too fussed although I am a bit scared about whats behind the walls now.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2016, 09:44:19 am »
For reference, I closed 6 homes last week in KW.

That's how you do it, but then again we've been building homes for 60 years  ;)

You are the new Mr Moneybags. You don't get to complain about the boomers ;)

If they are not a half-decent builder, then Tarion is my sword I assume?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2016, 10:09:08 am »
Tarion works best in relation to unambiguous building code violations.

It is least effective when the essence of the complaint is a departure from "workmanlike" quality.

If the builder declines to fix the noted deficiency, you have the option of a conciliation.  If Tarion concludes that the builder was not obligated to fix the deficiency, you are out of pocket a few hundred dollars.   

Figures. Still, lets hope these guys are at least respectable.

I chatted with my new neighbour. Same builder, very similar house. They had a few issues that seemed fairly major (refinished all HW floors, redid the weatherstriping for all doors+windows) but the builder handled it all.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2016, 10:35:53 am »

It is least effective when the essence of the complaint is a departure from "workmanlike" quality.

If the builder declines to fix the noted deficiency, you have the option of a conciliation.  If Tarion concludes that the builder was not obligated to fix the deficiency, you are out of pocket a few hundred dollars.   

Figures. Still, lets hope these guys are at least respectable.

I chatted with my new neighbour. Same builder, very similar house. They had a few issues that seemed fairly major (refinished all HW floors, redid the weatherstriping for all doors+windows) but the builder handled it all.
Weather stripping would be a window supplier warranty work , that would be no big thing

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2016, 10:38:04 am »
VM's been building houses for 60 years?  Wow, dude you look great for your age...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2016, 10:39:31 am »
VM's been building houses for 60 years?  Wow, dude you look great for your age...

He absorbs the life force of his buyers.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2016, 10:40:23 am »

:laugh:

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2016, 10:43:47 am »

His true form.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2016, 11:02:34 am »
Would it be best to send the list of issues to the builder first (and relatively soon, we are on day 10 now) before it goes off to Tarion?

Of course, I will have to send whatever isn't fixed in time to Tarion before the 30d is up, but in the interest of remaining civil some heads up would be good?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2016, 11:26:06 am »

FWIW, I forced a conciliation a few years ago. 

I had concerns about a potential structural issue.  The builder balked.  It went to conciliation but Tarion put in writing that the builder was correct - no structural issues.

It cost me $200.  But now I have something in writing in the off-chance that a home inspector on resale raises the same concern.  To my mind, this was an inexpensive way to respond to such a concern, should it ever arise.

Ah ok. Yes, $200 is chump change in this context.

Would it be best to send the list of issues to the builder first (and relatively soon, we are on day 10 now) before it goes off to Tarion?

Of course, I will have to send whatever isn't fixed in time to Tarion before the 30d is up, but in the interest of remaining civil some heads up would be good?

Yes, work with the builder first. Establish some deadlines.

Ok - though to be clear if issues are not resolved by the time the 30d form is due I see no option other than sending it off with the list of concerns that remain to be addressed. Otherwise missing the deadline leaves me dead in the water does it not?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2016, 11:38:15 am »
Do not trust the builder to resolve the issues without reporting them to Tarion.  If they are not addressed by the 30 days, file a Tarion report with the outstanding deficiencies.

Long story short: I reported a deficiency on a Tarion report.  The builder addressed the concern.  Shortly thereafter - but still during the 2 year warranty period - I noticed that the deficiency had returned.  I notified the builder via email.  Since the deficiency had previously been reported through Tarion, I did not initiate a new Tarion report.  Builder then declined to fix it, noting I had not gone through Tarion.  By then, it was too late to file a new Tarion record.

A small piece of everyday evil.

Ah, so a reoccurence of the issue after it was supposedly fixed requires a new report. Good information.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2016, 12:28:54 pm »

^^^^

If you attend your new build and it has overnight listed 10 degrees you have a "Tarion" issue. 

If you want "finishing" perfection (because it's either perfect or it's not), you need to be on site every work day with a roll of 50 dollar bills.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2016, 05:38:52 pm »
Did these clowns use two different colors of wood???

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk