Author Topic: might be buying a house  (Read 73063 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: might be buying a house
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2016, 02:42:53 pm »
There's the other bathroom with a tub. Definitely agree you need one tub in a house.

The best thing about a second floor washing machine is the amount of damage it causes if it leaks. A friend of mine's father had a washer overflow when they were out, $16k damage to the house.

Mike Holmes tries to convince people to keep them in the basement.

??? If it gets installed properly how likely is this to happen? A washing machine contains less water than a full bathtub, does Holmes advocate for bathing in the basement too?

Running appliances when you're not home is inherently taking more of a risk.

Appliances fail, especially newer ones. The fill valve can stick open. It'll just keep running water until someone shuts the supply valve. It doesn't take a lot of water to soak drywall.

We had the drain hose pop out of the drain pipe. It was in an unfinished basement at the time, so no issue. The same thing happened at my parent's place. Theirs was on the main floor near the kitchen so they noticed right away, little damage.

In my current house, it's on the main floor. It doesn't run if someone's not home.

I'm surprised by the number of washing machine related anecdotes you have. We don't typically run ours when not home, because then the clothes will just be wet, and potentially smelly... IMO the convenience outweighs the possibility of damage.

I also prefer having the machine upstairs, since then there's no need to lug clothing up and down...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2016, 02:48:15 pm »

I'm surprised by the number of washing machine related anecdotes you have. We don't typically run ours when not home, because then the clothes will just be wet, and potentially smelly... IMO the convenience outweighs the possibility of damage.

I also prefer having the machine upstairs, since then there's no need to lug clothing up and down...

Do a Google search for washing machine overflow. It's not that uncommon.

I'm the opposite. I'm not willing to risk water damage to save taking the stairs a few extra times a week.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2016, 02:52:58 pm »
I really don't care where it is.  Not much of a priority for me.  Basement, main floor, upstairs. But my wife and I do laundry differently.  I make sure when I do a load or two, it is switched over to the dryer right away, then folded asap.  For her, this is less of a concern, which can be a pain! As I find stuff in the dryer, not sure how long it's been there! 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2016, 04:33:09 pm »
I actually have to agree with AB on this one. Keep it in the basement and I would negotiate something with the builder in lieu of this. It's a royal PITA for him now that you have him by the balls and he'd probably just rather give you some free :censor: instead.

I know this doesn't address your laundry upstairs but you'll be compromising by putting it up there. I'd rather just have that larger linen closet.

Just to rub it in I'm putting in a 10x10 laundry room in the upstairs in the upcoming Chateau Vmango.  :P

Also, Sir O, you can finish the laundry room like a tiled shower so that if there's a leak there will be no damage. I do this all the time.

I can barely keep my mud room / laundry room tidy, bigger isn't always better.  Just like having 4 bathrooms in the house.  That's 4 to clean!  So I took one out of order!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2016, 05:06:44 pm »
Also, Sir O, you can finish the laundry room like a tiled shower so that if there's a leak there will be no damage. I do this all the time.

I'm sure a contractor who does quality work could mitigate the problem.

For less scrupulous contractors, well, things get pricey when water damage is involved.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2016, 09:17:11 pm »
Thank you all for the input.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2016, 10:10:23 pm »
Any other thoughts from the home reno braintrust?  

1.  The washer/dryer are not going in that space.  It's preposterous to even entertain the notion.  Just because someone labels "laundry" on some illustration doesn't make it so.   You will need that UTILITY CLOSET for STUFF!  such as a upper floor central vacuum hose.

2.  You will move in 3 years.  Actually, being YOU, mostly likely sooner.   :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2016, 05:18:52 pm »
Congrats on the house mmret.  As much as I would like a little bit more room than I have now, 3,000 sqft nearly killed me.  I was frickin' cleaning it all the time!

If you have OCD for cleaning, don't get dark hardwood.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2016, 05:20:43 pm »
Congrats on the house mmret.  As much as I would like a little bit more room than I have now, 3,000 sqft nearly killed me.  I was frickin' cleaning it all the time!

Dude, get a cleaning lady FFS!

I could never find a good one.  Had one in Waterloo, then could never find a good one after that one.

Obviously don't need one now.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2016, 05:23:10 pm »

Dude, get a cleaning lady FFS!

I concur  ;D

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2016, 07:55:15 pm »
i GOT SOME HARDWOOD BY DEFAULT......honest :eye: :sleep:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2016, 10:58:49 pm »

Thanks. Actually the house is 100% dark colored hardwood. :D

We have a Roomba though.

I concur  ;D

On second thought, it seems like the Roomba is acting up again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2016, 11:01:47 pm »

We have a Roomba though.

Do you have a dog or cat?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2016, 09:52:19 am »

Thanks. Actually the house is 100% dark colored hardwood. :D

We have a Roomba though.

I concur  ;D

On second thought, it seems like the Roomba is acting up again.

Didn't Hugh Grant cheat on her with a prostitute? Tranny prostitute? What a maroon.

Yes, what a moron!  Maybe she didn't do what he asked! :-)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2016, 10:49:21 am »
well blow me down with a feather.......................at least he left her with a CREAMED strawberry... :shuffle:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2016, 06:38:05 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2016, 06:54:07 pm »

We have a Roomba though.

Nope

Good.  You won't have to suffer through the Roomba spreading a hairball or turd all over the floors...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2016, 07:28:36 pm »

We have a Roomba though.

Nope

Good.  You won't have to suffer through the Roomba spreading a hairball or turd all over the floors...

Ha! Never though of that.  Our dog has never sh!t in the house, ever. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2016, 08:12:30 pm »

We have a Roomba though.

Nope

Ha! Never though of that.  Our dog has never sh!t in the house, ever.

There are pictures/videos of people's houses AFTER the Roomba has smeared the stuff everywhere.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2016, 08:24:11 pm »
Anyone got an opinion on Epoxy vs floor tiles for the garage? I'd like to DIY it but not sure if I want to deal with the acid etching and all that crap.