Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 BMW X1  (Read 20778 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Test Drive: 2016 BMW X1
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 11:15:25 am »
Anyone notice this new generation X1 has its engine transverse mounted?  So this must be sharing a platform with mini.  That would explain why the I6 is no longer available.

Awesome....the ultimate driving machine is now fwd  :thumbdown:
Sadly yes. But for the targeted buyers, that will not make a difference. They will lease boatloads of these.

Oh I'm not doubting that. All that counts for 90% of the I leased my BMW types is that they have a "BMW" and their neighbor has a Kia so they are better. With the amount of X3 and X5s I see around town, BMW is no longer that enthusiast company I grew up worshipping with an enthusiast owner base, now its just another "premium" brand, sad really.

Does that really take something away from cars like the 2-series, M3, etc?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 11:16:44 am »
Oh I'm not doubting that. All that counts for 90% of the I leased my BMW types is that they have a "BMW" and their neighbor has a Kia so they are better. With the amount of X3 and X5s I see around town, BMW is no longer that enthusiast company I grew up worshipping with an enthusiast owner base, now its just another "premium" brand, sad really.

Sadly, you do not make boatloads of money by being an enthusiasts' brand these days.

I wouldn't mind downsizing to an X3, but an X1 would be too small for me in the cargo area.

yeah I know, unfortunately all these horrid little CUV things pay for the actual good cars of any company, I guess if it takes an X1 to keep the M cars coming or that overpriced Macan makes the 911 still exist, its a small price to pay.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 11:19:24 am »
Anyone notice this new generation X1 has its engine transverse mounted?  So this must be sharing a platform with mini.  That would explain why the I6 is no longer available.

Sadly yes. But for the targeted buyers, that will not make a difference. They will lease boatloads of these.

No, but its like seeing Rolex make a watch for Walmart, nothing wrong with it, just cheapens the brand......

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 11:49:02 am »
I sat in one of these with the sport seats and they are extremely narrow. I like a lot about this vehicle but the seats are a deal breaker.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 11:55:50 am »
U can always get the standard seats and not sports seats.

I saw one driving around the other day, its bigger than i thought it would be for being based on mini platform.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 01:08:18 pm »
U can always get the standard seats and not sports seats.

I saw one driving around the other day, its bigger than i thought it would be for being based on mini platform.

Saying "MINI" platform doesn't tell the whole story. Like MQB at VW, the new modular platform at BMW can go wider and longer. The closest platform-mate of the X1 is the 2-Series Active Tourer, which we almost but won't get:

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 01:11:07 pm »
Even at MINI, the new Clubman has a much bigger shadow than the basic Cooper, but they share the basic architecture.

As for the previous X1, I park my Golf next to one at work and the bimmer hides its small size pretty well - it seems to match the VW in lenght and height, even though it looks bigger.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 01:15:39 pm »
X1,  X3 and 3 Touring (3T) I've looked at. I'd say it like this: X1 has more headroom than the 3 touring, X3 has the most. I really, REALLY wanted to like the 3T but the engine was a complete disappointment - lethargic and initially slow (now, that said, it was unclear whether it was in eco mode, or something else, but I know I tried switching it and didn't feel any differences). Throttle tip-in I had to push a fair bit to get a response.  The X3 has the 35 engine, which is such a huge step up from the coarse 28. I didn't bother driving the X1 because it was even lower on power and because of trunk space. Fuel mileage seemed to be a wash in any case - not much savings either way unless one compares gas to diesel.

Trunks: I looked at it from the perspective of carrying large suitcases. The X1 had a tiny trunk (as an aside, I thought the Mini Clubman utilized it better as it was taller) and it was short - really short. The X3 was a bit longer but shorter than the 3T. Where the X3 won was in the height. In the 3T the suitcases would be taller than the seatbacks if placed on their sides. The advantage of the 3T is that one could put a Thule on the top and it would be easily reachable for those times when you need the extra space. Back seats down, it was pretty close in terms of cargo capacity. 

Interior: First the front seats: The X3 was the most comfortable by far, I could move my legs without colliding with the dash or tunnel. The X1 and 3T were too close to say one was better than the other but they were different in respect to the way you sat - the 3T was more stretched out, the X1 more upright. All had the sports seats. The big difference was in the back seats. The X3 was much more roomy and comfortable. The 3T I felt ingress/egress was a bit tight and headroom was pretty tight for my 5'8". The X1 felt narrow and small.  Putting 3 passengers in the X1 or 3T would be tight.

Drive: the X3 was more supple, the 3T tended to rock more with the road undulations. Both had the adaptive dampeners. I honestly felt that the X3 felt smaller on the road, than the 3T. It was also easier to see out in all directions in the X3.

Given I've got growing kids, I'd probably do the X3. If it was just myself, then the 3T (and I'd lose some weight). I wish they offered the 35 engine in the Touring over here. 

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 01:26:42 pm »
...I wish they offered the 35 engine in the Touring over here.

That's really the key.   Or just an inline six in general.  The old straight six from the various _28 models was so much more desirable than the new turbo 4.   I know it's the way of the future, but I'm just not excited about plopping down $50k+ on a 4 cylinder.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 02:11:05 pm »

That's really the key.   Or just an inline six in general.  The old straight six from the various _28 models was so much more desirable than the new turbo 4.   I know it's the way of the future, but I'm just not excited about plopping down $50k+ on a 4 cylinder.

I'm really with you on this. The power on the 35 is fantastic - always there, no wait and see - and smooth. The 28 4 cylinder feels more disconnected, requires more thought. That said, try a Tesla, and again it's a whole other story. Power is there - RIGHT there and it's POWER! Did I mention POWER?

How is your 5 Touring holding up? I had so many issues over with the injectors, fuel system and other things that it made it hard to keep.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 02:25:29 pm »
X1,  X3 and 3 Touring (3T) I've looked at.

Thanks for sharing, tazcubed - good to hear someone's impressions of all 3 of these, especially with your coming out of a 5-series touring. It sounds like the X3 gives up very little dynamically to the 3T, and this is good to know. The 3-touring has long been the favoured replacement for my aging Subaru (or perhaps the v60), but I really do wish, as you guys have said, it came with that sweet I6 turbo.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 02:28:31 pm »

I'm really with you on this. The power on the 35 is fantastic - always there, no wait and see - and smooth. The 28 4 cylinder feels more disconnected, requires more thought. That said, try a Tesla, and again it's a whole other story. Power is there - RIGHT there and it's POWER! Did I mention POWER?

How is your 5 Touring holding up? I had so many issues over with the injectors, fuel system and other things that it made it hard to keep.

Our 5 has been great all things considered (knock on wood).  Bought it in 2012 with 75k on it, now sitting at around 125k. 

Had to perform the scheduled spark plug change a couple years back and we too ran into the injector issue.  But BMW covered the parts (outside of warranty) as it was part of a known recall and we paid the labor.   Other than that it's been relatively issue free.   

Don't see us trading it in anytime soon unless (until?) it starts becoming more of a PITA.   Not a lot out there in our budget that we'd rather use for family transport duties.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 02:48:19 pm »
X1,  X3 and 3 Touring (3T) I've looked at.

Thanks for sharing, tazcubed - good to hear someone's impressions of all 3 of these, especially with your coming out of a 5-series touring. It sounds like the X3 gives up very little dynamically to the 3T, and this is good to know. The 3-touring has long been the favoured replacement for my aging Subaru (or perhaps the v60), but I really do wish, as you guys have said, it came with that sweet I6 turbo.

The V60 is nice - absolutely great seats! The problem is 2-fold: 1) the rear seat is really tight, ingress/egress is really a problem, 2) they're getting rid of the inline 6s at some point. If the rear seat isn't a problem, I'd say wait for a used Polestar and wave at everyone you pass. Ride quality in the regular V60 is adequate but not as supple as the 3er. Build quality is something I'm more leery of with the Volvo right now.

The joke is I'm still comparing everything to a Forester XT. The "apples to apples" comparison is getting a little bent.

If it were between the X1 and Mini Clubman, I'd probably go with the Clubman as it just seems to be better - to me. They're twins underneath the skin, but I just like the Clubman better.

Now, if Subaru would bring the Levorg...then THAT would probably change everything.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 03:05:31 pm »

I'm not even that excited about the 2-Series and M-cars anymore. Maybe it's because they're porkers with lifeless steering, or maybe it's just my overall malaise with the company these days? ???

There was a link to a review posted here a while ago: the heading was "Very Good Driving Machine." I guess that about sums it up, and it's kind of sad. I bet in a few years it will be "Pretty Decent Driving Machine."  :'(

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 03:17:33 pm »

The V60 is nice - absolutely great seats! The problem is 2-fold: 1) the rear seat is really tight, ingress/egress is really a problem, 2) they're getting rid of the inline 6s at some point. If the rear seat isn't a problem, I'd say wait for a used Polestar and wave at everyone you pass. Ride quality in the regular V60 is adequate but not as supple as the 3er. Build quality is something I'm more leery of with the Volvo right now.

The joke is I'm still comparing everything to a Forester XT. The "apples to apples" comparison is getting a little bent.

If it were between the X1 and Mini Clubman, I'd probably go with the Clubman as it just seems to be better - to me. They're twins underneath the skin, but I just like the Clubman better.

Now, if Subaru would bring the Levorg...then THAT would probably change everything.

yeah, i had the chance to drive a V60 T6 r-design last summer - really enjoyed it. The 6-speed/I6 seems like last-generation tech and quite thirsty, but it also of course means it's tried-and-true (one hopes at least), and drinks Regular, which is very nice. Those seats were glorious. Yeah, the rear cargo is unfortunately tight, given its designation as a wagon, but of course a bit better than the sedan, so it could be worse.

I drove the Forester XT as well and, likewise, I came away impressed - BUT as with most CUV's i've driven, it just felt too tippy for me. It felt planted, like it wasn't going to tip over necessarily, but still too much sway for me - I'm a wagon guy for life, i guess. Hoping an X3 may feel a bit better in this regard.

I agree re: the Clubman vs. X1 - it's just a sharper-looking car, but it seems it's hardly a wagon, space-wise, sharing roughly the same dimensions as a normal hatch. I'd lean towards a GTI instead, personally, BUT i guess the Clubman also has the AWD going for it, which is worth something of course.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 03:32:04 pm »
I agree re: the Clubman vs. X1 - it's just a sharper-looking car, but it seems it's hardly a wagon, space-wise, sharing roughly the same dimensions as a normal hatch. I'd lean towards a GTI instead, personally, BUT i guess the Clubman also has the AWD going for it, which is worth something of course.

It may be fairly small dimensionally but it's still a wagon.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 03:40:01 pm »

For sure - just personally I wouldn’t be interested in any wagon (or hatch) shorter than ~175 inches.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 03:44:40 pm »

For sure - just personally I wouldn’t be interested in any wagon (or hatch) shorter than ~175 inches.

Yeah, unfortunately the Clubman only has ~18 cubic feet of cargo space while a Golf/GTI has ~23.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 03:48:09 pm »

I'm not even that excited about the 2-Series and M-cars anymore. Maybe it's because they're porkers with lifeless steering, or maybe it's just my overall malaise with the company these days? ???

There was a link to a review posted here a while ago: the heading was "Very Good Driving Machine." I guess that about sums it up, and it's kind of sad. I bet in a few years it will be "Pretty Decent Driving Machine."  :'(

I hear you. I guess a lot of this stems from what the market expects from a car like the normal 3-series. Larger, softer, more luxurious, etc. But the reality is that no one is building the equivalent of the E46 M3 these days so it isn't as if BMW is falling behind the competition.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 05:14:05 pm »
But the reality is that no one is building the equivalent of the E46 M3 these days so it isn't as if BMW is falling behind the competition.

I'm pretty sure Cadillac benchmarked the E46 when developing the ATS, and the ATS-V benchmarked the E46 M3.  Phenomenal chassis and balance, steering feedback, compact (tight) size - the ATS hit their mark in a lot of areas.  But the Caddy is a lot heavier, and obviously no inline 6...

I think the bigger reason BMW can get away with building "the good-to-really-good driving machine" these days is not that no one else is building "ultimate" driver's cars - but that the market has simply moved away from such vehicles.  The vast majority of consumers just don't care if BMW doesn't outhandle the comparable Caddy, or has lifeless steering, or is overweight. 

However - I'm not sure how BMW's marketing is going to go in the future - they can only play on "the ultimate driving machine" for so long before it becomes a parody...